Official:Georgetown SMP Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was put on the "high priority waitlist" and 5 days later i got the acceptance, which i decided to defer till next year (or i hope it's be deferred:(). What r ur #'s like?

thanks for the reply FF430. I have a 3.35 cumulative gpa and my science gpa is exactly this same. had a upward trend during the last few semesters making around 3.6-3.7 while taking 3-4 upper level sciences each semester. 29Q mcat.

Did they notify your acceptance through email?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just earned myself a spot on the waitlist (no mention of anything "high priority") with movement happening up until August... Yikes.

Keeping my fingers crossed....

I was on the waitlist for a few months now and just got an email telling me I was rejected.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the reply FF430. I have a 3.35 cumulative gpa and my science gpa is exactly this same. had a upward trend during the last few semesters making around 3.6-3.7 while taking 3-4 upper level sciences each semester. 29Q mcat.

Did they notify your acceptance through email?

Yea, you will get an unofficial acceptance via e-mail. I had very similar numbers, so im pretty sure u'll get in.:thumbup:

I was on the waitlist for a few months now and just got an email telling me I was rejected.

That's really strange... do they just put everyone on the waitlist?

It's time I send them a fruit basket or something.

Me and a few other guys in the SMP program have a house and a room has just opened up. The house is only 0.8 mi from class. Here is a link to the house:
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~rchen/39th/

The room is the 2nd floor bedroom #3. Rent will be approx. $645 + $100 utilities. There is also parking available in the back of the house for $100/month extra. If you're interested let me know. Thanks.

Jon

For me, the laptop was useful in some SMP classes but not essential. Some professors gave us their powerpoints before lecture (some didn't, which was annoying), and it can be helpful to take notes on the laptop with the given slide. You could also of course print out the slides and take notes on the printout, or take notes in the syllabus. Ultimately, I found that I learned more in classes where I didn't have my laptop with me, as I tended to just screw around on it.

I suppose that's my roundabout way of saying that you don't NEED a laptop, but it's rather nice to have one for some classes.

Heya kidthor,

from your response, i'm assuming that you completed the SMP? COngrats! was wondering if you could tell us if the classes were available online if you miss any and what the typical day is like (ie, are the classes all over the place and at random hours of the day)? Also, do most people live near campus? would you suggest doing so?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hey guys, I withdrew from the SMP program today, so hopefully someone from here gets it...good luck!

For those that are worried about GU's delay processing the deposits, I sent mine in on 5/5 and they finally cashed it on 7/3. I guess that means I am in for sure. Does anyone know if we will get information regarding our webmail before orientation?

i just got accepted to the SMP and am in desperate need of finding housing quick!

is there any on campus housing options for us?
and does anyone know any places where i can find a studio, 1 bedroom for a decent price? preferably highrise type apartment buildings
i guess i better make a trip there sometime soon to find a place... yikes!

i just got accepted to the SMP and am in desperate need of finding housing quick!

is there any on campus housing options for us?
and does anyone know any places where i can find a studio, 1 bedroom for a decent price? preferably highrise type apartment buildings
i guess i better make a trip there sometime soon to find a place... yikes!

DC is expensive. No real way around that, except maybe cramming a whole bunch of people into a house.

Housing in Georgetown is kind of a pain. The only on-campus housing is for undergrad freshmen, and the neighborhoods surrounding the medical center side of the campus (Burleith, Glover park, Foxhall village) are mostly townhouses. Burleith is the closest. Some of the townhouses do have basement (aka "garden") apartments for rent. Sometimes these are also called "english basements". Around $1,000-1,200/month plus utilities would be around average for these (yes, these are studios). Craigslist is probably your best bet, although there is also an office on campus to help off-campus students find housing.

The nearest high rise apartment buildings are across the river, in the Rosslyn neighborhood of Arlington, VA. A lot of people lived at River Place. The free Georgetown shuttle (GUTS bus) runs from the rosslyn metro stop to the Leavey center on campus. It also runs from the Dupont circle metro stop. So, in theory, you could live anywhere along the blue, orange or red lines and then take the bus from the metro to school. I wouldn't recommend this if you aren't familiar with the area though.

Oh yeah, there is also zero on campus parking for students. You can park on the street and use the meters, but this is only for good for 2 hours (unless you keep going back out to feed the meter). DC parking is also enforced like no other, FYI. There are some bike racks available, if you want to ride a bike to campus from a further out area of DC.

Hope that helps you out. Good luck with the SMP!

Me and a few other guys in the SMP program have a house and a room has just opened up. The house is only 0.8 mi from class. Here is a link to the house:
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~rchen/39th/

The room is the 2nd floor bedroom #3. Rent will be approx. $645 + $100 utilities. There is also parking available in the back of the house for $100/month extra. If you're interested let me know. Thanks.

Jon

i'm interested. my email is [email protected].

I am just wondering if you guys think i should retake the mcats. I have a 3.34 gpa and a 30M 9V-10P-11Bio. I got into the G'town post back.

And when should i take it?? does anyone know what time exams are during the school year? is sept 3rd a good time?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Tac,

One small correction - the Rosslyn GUTS no longer runs to Leavey, it now goes to the undergrad side of campus next to the football field and the undergrad dining hall. So students now have to walk up the hill to get to the med school. They just changed that this past year.

Congrats on third year, btw :D

DC is expensive. No real way around that, except maybe cramming a whole bunch of people into a house.

Housing in Georgetown is kind of a pain. The only on-campus housing is for undergrad freshmen, and the neighborhoods surrounding the medical center side of the campus (Burleith, Glover park, Foxhall village) are mostly townhouses. Burleith is the closest. Some of the townhouses do have basement (aka "garden") apartments for rent. Sometimes these are also called "english basements". Around $1,000-1,200/month plus utilities would be around average for these (yes, these are studios). Craigslist is probably your best bet, although there is also an office on campus to help off-campus students find housing.

The nearest high rise apartment buildings are across the river, in the Rosslyn neighborhood of Arlington, VA. A lot of people lived at River Place. The free Georgetown shuttle (GUTS bus) runs from the rosslyn metro stop to the Leavey center on campus. It also runs from the Dupont circle metro stop. So, in theory, you could live anywhere along the blue, orange or red lines and then take the bus from the metro to school. I wouldn't recommend this if you aren't familiar with the area though.

Oh yeah, there is also zero on campus parking for students. You can park on the street and use the meters, but this is only for good for 2 hours (unless you keep going back out to feed the meter). DC parking is also enforced like no other, FYI. There are some bike racks available, if you want to ride a bike to campus from a further out area of DC.

Hope that helps you out. Good luck with the SMP!

thanks so much for all the advice!
i've been doing some online research to make a list of potential places to look at when i visit DC this week, how is alexandria, VA location?
and is river place east and west close to each other?

Tac,

One small correction - the Rosslyn GUTS no longer runs to Leavey, it now goes to the undergrad side of campus next to the football field and the undergrad dining hall. So students now have to walk up the hill to get to the med school. They just changed that this past year.

Congrats on third year, btw :D

Well that's unfortunate. Thanks for correcting it. I haven't rode on the GUTS bus in quite a while. :oops:

Congrats to you too on 3rd year!

I currently live at River Place West and it's a good place to live so far. They have very convenient amenities such as a dry cleaning service, convenience store/movie rental/liquor store/iceberry, gym and an awesome pool. Rent for me is 1100 a month for a studio and I think it varies because every room is owned by a different landlord. River Place West, East, South and North are all closely together. If you need a car they also have parking and for me it was included with my rent price.

Hope this helps

Hey everyone, anyone on the regular non-high priority wait list hear anything recently? I talked to Ms. Cabiness a couple weeks back and she couldn't find my application, and assumed it was on someone's desk, and when I didn't hear anything (god forbid it was misplaced, I worried), I called back and it magically seemed to reappear, although my call seemed to annoy Ms. Cabiness in the process. Oops. Anyway, this waiting is killling me, and my migrating application isn't helping, haha.
Also does anyone have any idea what the chances are of getting accepted off the regular wait list at this point? I want to go to Gtown so badly, but I would think my chances are pretty slim this late in the game. I have to move out of my apt on Aug 3rd down in MD, and have to make the trek allll the way back up to Boston if I don't hear anything back from Georgetown soon. Thanks guys!

Hey everyone, this is my first post on SDN and I was wondering if anyone could give me some much needed advice. I have been planning on attending the NYMC accelerated program (1 year program) but I just got accepted to Georgetown SMP and I have no idea which program I should attend. If anyone could give me some insight, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Haha, wow, so I officially got accepted yesterday. I applied in January, got waitlisted immediately, heard nothing since then and get in mid-July. I called up before and was told they were really backed up in apps trying to review the new apps, and that they had no time to re-review anyone who got waitlisted before. So, if they finally got back to me, that must mean they're now going through the waitlisted people.

I'm already committed to Cinci so I'm going to withdraw my spot. They are definitely still accepting students right up until the start of classes, so for people who are waiting, there's still hope left! Good luck everyone.

Hey everyone, this is my first post on SDN and I was wondering if anyone could give me some much needed advice. I have been planning on attending the NYMC accelerated program (1 year program) but I just got accepted to Georgetown SMP and I have no idea which program I should attend. If anyone could give me some insight, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Hi,

I dont know anything about the NYMC program but I can tell you what I know about the Georgetown SMP.

1) Tuition: The 2009 year program will cost around 35,160 (maybe off by a little).
2) Credibility: supposedly the first program of its kind when it started. You take a majority but not all of the courses with med students. More info on their website.
3) Chances of getting into their medical school: There is no concrete policy on that but around 20 some students from the SMP program usually get in.
4) Class size: ~130

Hope that helps!

I am still looking for a place to live this fall. Anyone know or heard of any places still available? I am getting nervous since its around 3 weeks from start of classes. Any suggestions? Thanks!

i'm working out my lease with my landlord at river place and had a question.

The end of classes is something like May 29, 2009, Do were have to stick around after that for anything, or is there finals after the 29th?

i'm working out my lease with my landlord at river place and had a question.

The end of classes is something like May 29, 2009, Do were have to stick around after that for anything, or is there finals after the 29th?

There is an independent library research paper that is due early June (6th, I believe).

So in case you didn't notice yet, on the SMP webpage there has been a schedule for orientation, yes!!

Also, the thesis can now be submitted electronically (per an e-mail to the georgetown e-mail account a while back) just so you know...

Everyone getting excited? We start in like 2.5 weeks! Everyone moved out here yet? My wife and I moved into Riverplace North last week, and so far we really love the area. How is everyone else's moves going?

Hey guys, I'm about to withdraw my spot on the "high priority" waiting list. Good luck to everyone still hoping for Gtown, and nkace44 maybe I'll see you at NYMC in the fall!

I am still on the "high priority" waitlist as of yesterday, and orientation starts in six days! I have already sent deposit to another smp in chi which starts aug. 12 but I would much rather go to georgetown. I am gonna wait it out till orientation since i have waited this long though I am not looking forward to a 3 day move from CA.
I was wondering if anyone knows if spots open up this late or even as late as orientation, and if there is any chance of getting in. I am going nuts with having nothing done with respects to flights, housing etc. this late.
btw this forum has been very useful and best of luck to everyone in the future

my friend got off the waitlist yesterday, i would say you have a decent cahnce if you're still on the waitlist because they go through and reject the people they don't want

how is everyone getting to orientation on thursday? are the georgetown shuttles running? and what if I don't have my ID yet?

can't wait to see all of you soon!

how is everyone getting to orientation on thursday? are the georgetown shuttles running? and what if I don't have my ID yet?

can't wait to see all of you soon!

Hey there! The Georgetown shuttles are running, you can check the GUTS website for exact times. And you don't need your student ID to ride them. Depending on which one you are taking they either don't check ID's, or your drivers license will do( They'll make you sign a piece of paper)

Looking forward to Thursday!

Can somebody tell me what we have to bring for tomorrow's orientation?

Can somebody tell me what we have to bring for tomorrow's orientation?

Well, as far as I know the only thing you are supposed to bring are two sets of mailing labels for the schools that you have applied to so far... One set that includes all of the schools... The other set includes all of the schools but just one label for the AMCAS LOE program...

Other than that, I think just yourself... maybe some paper to write stuff down, and your license in case you need to pick up your Go Card...

Wow...I just got accepted off the waitlist today. I submitted my app on 5/14, and it was complete on 6/11. I definitely did not see this coming...I was already planning on attending the NYMC Traditional Track this fall. What to do...

Wow...I just got accepted off the waitlist today. I submitted my app on 5/14, and it was complete on 6/11. I definitely did not see this coming...I was already planning on attending the NYMC Traditional Track this fall. What to do...

me too. just got accepted. what to do???? how big is the class? AND I NEED HOUSING!!!

lol, me three, accepted off the waitlist today....in desperate need of housing too!!! 22 year old female, easy to live with.....anyone have a spot open in the city, by the campus?

me too. just got accepted. what to do???? how big is the class? AND I NEED HOUSING!!!

Congrats guys! The class is ~180 students this year, at least that is the number they told us today at Orientation... But I am guessing that not everyone showed up today, thus the reason you guys are getting pulled! Alright!!! Glad you guys got accepted, look forward to seeing you guys soon!

If you have any questions about the area, or school feel free to let me know. I am a physios like you... I've lived here for a few weeks, and if you have any questions about orientation you can PM me as well.

Congrats and look forward to seeing you guys soon!

I just got accepted 28 minutes ago and classes start Monday?!
I have been planning on going to the GMS over at BU, but GU SMP has been my first choice...what do I do?!?! I'm from CA too, so this is looking like the scramble of my life :scared:

me too.. are you planning on going? do you maybe want to look for a place to live and share an apartment or something? sorry I know I dont know you but this is kinda hectic.

Yea, had to decline the spot after much thinking. Didnt make sense to move 1200 miles with no place to stay all within 2 days time. Would have loved to go. Plus the tuition is just ridiculous. Everyone who was just pulled off the waitlist, hope your decision is much easier than mine. GOOD LUCK.

I just got accepted 28 minutes ago and classes start Monday?!
I have been planning on going to the GMS over at BU, but GU SMP has been my first choice...what do I do?!?! I'm from CA too, so this is looking like the scramble of my life :scared:

Hey all -

Congrats on being called off the waitlist! I just wanted to address one possible concern people may be having:

No question, it is a lot to deal with trying to adjust to moving to DC, getting a place to live and then dealing with Medical School classes - all at the last minute. FWIW, every year, there are many students who are brought in at the last minute. In my class ('06) some people were brought in 3 days after classes had already started. :eek:

It is not as intimidating as it might seem to come in like that and get up to speed. In fact, in my year, one of the guys who was brought in after classes had already started was even accepted to Gtown Med. If you want to be here, but are worried about getting a late start, don't. Classes traditionally start very slow.

Good luck to all of you.

anyonee know of places to live that are still open??

anyonee know of places to live that are still open??

Go to craigslist, and search for River Place...

They are apartments right across the Key bridge from Georgetown, there is a Georgetown Bus that picks up right here that you can take to campus... Takes me just under 20 minutes to get to the classroom, just over 20 in rush hour...

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hey Everyone
I will be applying to the G'Town SMP this year. I had a question about the letters of recommendation. I read a minimum of 3 are required.
How many did you submit with your application?
Who did you get your letters from? (Science Prof, Physicians, etc.)

I am thinking about applying to the georgetown smp program. I have a 32N, however its with a 13 in both sciences, and a lousy 6 in verbal. My GPA is about a 3.4, both total and science. What are my chances of getting into georgetown smp? I plan to retake my mcat, but in january, when my gtown app will already be in.

I think you have a good chance of getting in but you MUST get that verbal score up. When you apply, let them know that you are retaking the MCAT in January and they most likely will hold off reviewing your application until your scores are released. Or just wait to apply until you get your scores. You should have them within a month and I know plenty of people who applied in February and got it. Good luck! :D

I have a 3.3 overall /2.8 science GPA with 33Q. If I apply to SMP fairly early in the game (say Jan/Feb), do I have a decent shot of getting in?

I also have the same question as doctormo24 about recommendations.

Thanks!

I have a 3.3 overall /2.8 science GPA with 33Q. If I apply to SMP fairly early in the game (say Jan/Feb), do I have a decent shot of getting in?

I also have the same question as doctormo24 about recommendations.

Thanks!

Depending on your EC's it seems like you would have a great chance...

I submitted 4 letters, 2 science profs, 1 humanities prof and a volunteer one, hope that answers your question!

Depending on your EC's it seems like you would have a great chance...

I submitted 4 letters, 2 science profs, 1 humanities prof and a volunteer one, hope that answers your question!
DrJD, heard that the exam averages are extreme at Georgetown. How're you and the rest of the SMPers doing in classes? And is anyone receiving interviews this early in the program?

DrJD, heard that the exam averages are extreme at Georgetown. How're you and the rest of the SMPers doing in classes? And is anyone receiving interviews this early in the program?

Well so far in the program we have had three tests... Two of which we know the grades for, the other test was yesterday so we don't know the grades yet...

I thought the first test had a pretty high average actually, the test was "easier" as they were trying to ease us all in. The second test was actually a lot harder and had a much more normal average.

In general I don't think the averages will consistently be high, I think it was just for that first test, although we'll see when we find out the grades for yesterdays :)

The SMP's are doing okay this year I think, although I was surprised that there weren't more higher grades after the first class since we have a lot more to lose than the medical students. But our distributions pretty much matched the medical students, which is good, but SMP students have something to prove, ya know?

Anyway, if you or anyone else has any questions I can do my best to answer them!

All the best!

aside from raw ambition, skills, and will power, what separates those who get Bs from those who get A-s? since 85% to 90% of all students eventually end up in medical school, does that mean even with a B average in the smp program one is a competitive candidate? where do students with B averages end up? what are the reasons some of the people fail out of smp program? how much of a support and safety net is provided for smp students?

Well so far in the program we have had three tests... Two of which we know the grades for, the other test was yesterday so we don't know the grades yet...

I thought the first test had a pretty high average actually, the test was "easier" as they were trying to ease us all in. The second test was actually a lot harder and had a much more normal average.

In general I don't think the averages will consistently be high, I think it was just for that first test, although we'll see when we find out the grades for yesterdays :)

The SMP's are doing okay this year I think, although I was surprised that there weren't more higher grades after the first class since we have a lot more to lose than the medical students. But our distributions pretty much matched the medical students, which is good, but SMP students have something to prove, ya know?

Anyway, if you or anyone else has any questions I can do my best to answer them!

All the best!