Official:Georgetown SMP Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since applications were open last weekend I thought I'd start a thread for people who are hopefuls for Georgetown, and for people who have heard back!

Who all has applied already? Your applications complete? When do you expect to hear?

I submitted my application, and am just waiting for all of my supplemental material to make its way there.

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody apply yet?

I applied and submitted around Thanksgiving, and I'm pretty sure all my supplementals should be already in. No clue when I might hear, though. Scary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied and submitted around Thanksgiving, and I'm pretty sure all my supplementals should be already in. No clue when I might hear, though. Scary.

Have they updated online about your supplementals? If they did how long did it take for them to update?

Didn't the application just open a week ago?

I applied around when it opened up. It's been a little more than a week. But, nothing has been updated for my online application. but, it says online to wait for 2 weeks to see an update on my application, so that's what i'm counting on. do you guys know when they start accepting people?

Anybody else?

For those of you who have submitted, what parts of the main Georgetown University Graduate School application form do we have to submit? Are we required to fill out the 500-word Academic Statement of Purpose, the Resume/CV, and the Writing Sample? I couldn't find that information from the SMP website.

Thanks!

For those of you who have submitted, what parts of the main Georgetown University Graduate School application form do we have to submit? Are we required to fill out the 500-word Academic Statement of Purpose, the Resume/CV, and the Writing Sample? I couldn't find that information from the SMP website.

Thanks!

Hey!... So no writing sample for sure, and the Resume/CV is optional. You can do it or you don't have to.

You are required to do the 500 word Academic Statement, however you can use the same personal statement that you use in the supplemental materials for the SMP.

Hope that helps!!

Anybody else applying right now or already?

hey,

I'm applying!
I'm exciteddd....but I'm also applying to med schools right now. Not so excited about that right now... MD prospects are looking BLEAK

I have an apartment to sublet near Georgetown if any of you are interested. I was in the post bac program but will not be returning nest semester.

hey guys

i just wanted to know if anyone was willing to share there stats for the smp apps. My science gpa is 3.4 and haven't taken the mcat yet and was thinking of applying for the smp program at georgetown. I wasn't sure how competitive it was and wanted to see if i even had a chance to get in.

Hey all!

I've been reading these forums for a couple of weeks and finally joined.

I started out the pre-med trend a litle late in the game and was not really focused on my GPA in undergrad.
I've discovered that my 3.1 paired with a 32 MCAT score is too low for schools, and hunting for alternate pathways has led me to discover SMP's, particularly this G'town program.

So I'm applying here and also sent an app to EVMS and thinking of applying to a couple of other schools as well.

I would love to do Georgetown though - I heard and read good things about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone!

I'll be applying to Georgetown after finals so probably sometime next week. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but will be taking it soon. I'm so excited! Btw is anyone else applying to the BU or Tufts smp program? :)

I just apply to Georgetown SMP couple days ago, and I just need to send in my offical transcript and MCAT score after the Chrismas.... My stats is like 3.3 Overal all and 3.2 science, with MCAT 28M. I am also applying to med school at the same time (fingercross!) Oh well.... Hopefully I can get in somewhere.

How long did it take for your application to go complete?? I am just curious how long it normally takes for them to update your application as complete on their website. I know it says to expect about two weeks... anyone have practical experience?

Thanks!

How long did it take for your application to go complete?? I am just curious how long it normally takes for them to update your application as complete on their website. I know it says to expect about two weeks... anyone have practical experience?

Thanks!

A friend of mine who is also applying with me this year called them last week and the person said they were not going to really start looking at applications until mid-January, so I'm guessing if ur complete in Jan, it would be at least two weeks from then. Hope this helps.

Hey! So who all is waiting for their application to go complete?

What does everyone think of the curriculum change for next year?

anyone know if Georgetown would take pre-dents? and will take DAT scores instead of MCATs?

I just applied to Georgetown as well. I applied to medical school, so I just submitted my AMCAS as my supplemental app. I'm waiting for my recommendations to get in...

I have a 3.12 GPA, and 3.0 BCMP GPA >.< and a 31P MCAT. Do you guys think I have a shot?

I think you have a very decent shot... I mean, their official website has these figures for the people accepted 2006:

overall GPA: 3.3
MCAT: 30

So, you're right around there. My own stats are 3.26 overall GPA and 29 MCAT - both just a tad under in both categories. I talked to their rep when they visited my school, and they said that the couple months before med schools start is a mad shuffle, with the waiting list being re-organized and people bumped up like crazy as others get last minute acceptances and turn down the SMP program.

So...anyone get any news recently? I'm hoping they start to review next week.

Mine was complete as of yesterday... I too would love to know if anyone knows when they will start reviewing apps! Georgetown is my #1 choice!! :thumbup:

Anyone know if the SMP office has a phone number? On the website it only gives the physio email address.

I emailed them a couple days back to check on the completeness of my app, got no reply, but later that day everything was marked as received but my transcripts. My transcripts were most likely on their way there in the mail at the time, so they should have them by now. I just want to call and see if they have them yet so I can be marked as complete.

Anyone know if the SMP office has a phone number? On the website it only gives the physio email address.

I emailed them a couple days back to check on the completeness of my app, got no reply, but later that day everything was marked as received but my transcripts. My transcripts were most likely on their way there in the mail at the time, so they should have them by now. I just want to call and see if they have them yet so I can be marked as complete.

202 687 1179

when you click on faculty on the website you'll find it!

They have started to review applications. (There was a post on the SMP forum on yahoo.)

So, hopefully soon we will start to hear!

I got an email a couple days back from Ms. Cabiness saying I'm complete and currently under review. It said I'll hear back in 4-6 weeks. In their forum it says they try to decide within 3 weeks, so I'm hoping for that.

I got an email a couple days back from Ms. Cabiness saying I'm complete and currently under review. It said I'll hear back in 4-6 weeks. In their forum it says they try to decide within 3 weeks, so I'm hoping for that.

I'm really hoping for the three weeks as well! Good luck to us all!

26S, 3.68 gpa, 3.58 bcpm... good shot at getting into Georgetown SMP or is the mcat slightly low? Im asking for a friend because i know GT has an awesome program! thanks for the input. good luck

26S, 3.68 gpa, 3.58 bcpm... good shot at getting into Georgetown SMP or is the mcat slightly low? Im asking for a friend because i know GT has an awesome program! thanks for the input. good luck

SMPs are for people with low GPAs and above avg MCATs, aren't they? Your friend would probably be better off studying for the MCAT and retaking it.

SMPs are for people with low GPAs and above avg MCATs, aren't they? Your friend would probably be better off studying for the MCAT and retaking it.

yeah, i agree. GPA isn't all that bad, and if your friend can retake the MCAT and bring it up past 32, he should be fine.

Georgetown wants you to apply to med schools before you start their program, so he should be SOLID in everything else before the summer (except for GPA). If he retakes the MCAT early enough and does well, he would have a shot at the SMP, but he would need to take the test this April.

they are currently applying to med school for the entering class of 2008. However, they want to go to the smp at georgetown because they feel it will greatly benefit them when finally matriculating to medical school. They have great EC's, and dont want to waste a whole year doing nothing(especially because they have enough volunteer hours, community service hours, and research hours). thanks guys!

You really need a 27+. I know it's only one point, but that's their cutoff. Now, they do sometimes (at least in the past) accept a few people with a 25 or 26 if they have room, but you won't have a chance at getting into Georgetown med the next year no matter how well you do without at least a 27. Just telling you this upfront, because some people got disappointed the year I was there.

Hey guys, I just got the acceptance e-mail!

I was complete on 1/9 if that helps anyone.

Congrats! :thumbup:

When did you get the email saying you're complete and under review? I was complete (on ApplyYourself) on 1/11 and got the email saying I'm under review on 1/15.

BTW, what are your stats, if you don't mind sharing?

Congrats! :thumbup:

When did you get the email saying you're complete and under review? I was complete (on ApplyYourself) on 1/11 and got the email saying I'm under review on 1/15.

BTW, what are your stats, if you don't mind sharing?

I believe I was under review on the 13th, but the date doesn't show up anymore on my status page and I didn't write it down anywhere.

My stats are 3.23 GPA, 32Q MCAT, and lots of clinical + a little research experience.

What's up guys.....I also got the acceptance email today! I applied around the first week the application opened back in December and I was complete sometime late December.

Good Luck to Everyone Else!

Accepted to Georgetown SMP today! Undergrad GPA 3.42 (3.31 science), 29O MCAT.

Submitted on 12/1
Completed on 1/8
Under review 1/16
Accepted on 1/28

:banana:

When is the due date? I might be applying next year, but my MCATs won't be back until the summer.

When is the due date? I might be applying next year, but my MCATs won't be back until the summer.

May 15th is the absolute latest day to apply, but I believe that they fill their class way before that time. I'm not sure how many people were accepted in the 1/28 round, but I'm fairly certain that if you apply after say march, you're really killing your chances. GL.

Doh! Well, I can't apply before since the MCAT itself will be in April :p. And my post-bac, with pre-requisite classes end in March.

Doh! Well, I can't apply before since the MCAT itself will be in April :p. And my post-bac, with pre-requisite classes end in March.

You could still apply right now, and take the GRE instead. They'll accept the GRE and will be able to start reviewing your app now. Just tell them you're planning to take the MCAT in April, but they don't need the score to consider you although it would help to have it.

You could still apply right now, and take the GRE instead. They'll accept the GRE and will be able to start reviewing your app now. Just tell them you're planning to take the MCAT in April, but they don't need the score to consider you although it would help to have it.

This is good advice, although you should try and talk to someone personally so they understand you situation, and that you really want to attend. Make them know that you are taking the GRE for the sole purpose of gaining acceptance to the SMP.

May 15th is the absolute latest day to apply, but I believe that they fill their class way before that time. I'm not sure how many people were accepted in the 1/28 round, but I'm fairly certain that if you apply after say march, you're really killing your chances. GL.

I took the MCAT last Saturday..will it do me any good to send in my (incomplete) app before my scores come in?

Hmm...waitlisted. :cool: At least they mention there's plenty of movement on it. This is still my first choice for SMP, so I'll just update them when I can.

As far as my stats...
Overall and Science GPA: 3.2
MCAT: 34N (VR 9, PS 14, BS 11)

Submitted 12/3
Complete 1/11
Under Review 1/15
Waitlist 1/31