Official Harvard 2009! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skeletor06

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I figured I'd give it a shot to start a thread specifically for people who are interested in starting Harvard's HCP program in 2009, either summer or fall. I am going to be moving up to Boston from Texas in May to get settled in and look for a job, etc...so, anyone else in a similar situation, please introduce yourself! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'll join in. I'm planning on starting in Fall '09 and will probably be moving up there in July/August of this year. I'm living in NYC right now so it's not a huge move for me but I've never been to boston so it's new. If anyone has any advice on housing etc, I think a lot of us would appreciate if you would share it.

I'm starting in the fall too, but I live in the area. Unfortunately I don't have any leads on housing for you, but check craigslist for Cambridge & Somerville.
PM me if you have any questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a question for those of you who are starting the Harvard post-bacc in '09 - how soon after applying did you hear back? I'll be getting my application out in the next week or two.

Sorry, I don't quite understand this program. Is it for those who have already completed their pre-med requirements but want to enhance their credentials, or is it to complete the pre-reqs?

Sorry, I don't quite understand this program. Is it for those who have already completed their pre-med requirements but want to enhance their credentials, or is it to complete the pre-reqs?

Its to complete the pre-reqs.

My advice to anyone who is interested in HES is to go to the information session n January 22. I went last year, and I was sold. I'm starting this fall.

Housing: I currently live in Boston, but I'm moving to Cambridge in September to be closer to Harvard. Despite what you may think, living near Harvard is not exorbitantly expensive. Porter (one stop north of Harvard) and Davis (two stops north) are incredibly affordable.

Having said that, I know there are a lot of people moving to Cambridge to attend HES. If anyone is interested in finding a place with me, shoot me an e-Mail at [email protected].

Im so excited to know that there are people looking into the same thing im looking into. HES FALL 09, most likely...
Thanks to SDN i discovered the HES/HCP program. The only thing is that it requires 2 years...ugh!if anyone has more info on this, since I emailed a staff there but havent heard back, please let me know.
Is this a good prep for MCAT as well as a chance to improve UG GPA?I live in the Boston area already so i really want to make use of this opportunity...
:)

Im so excited to know that there are people looking into the same thing im looking into. HES FALL 09, most likely...
Thanks to SDN i discovered the HES/HCP program. The only thing is that it requires 2 years...ugh!if anyone has more info on this, since I emailed a staff there but havent heard back, please let me know.
Is this a good prep for MCAT as well as a chance to improve UG GPA?I live in the Boston area already so i really want to make use of this opportunity...
:)

The PreMed Diploma program can be done in less than 2 yrs if you take classes through Harvard Summer school. However, these classes are not part of the extension school so they are more than double the price. Also, summer school options are bio 1 & 2 combined, chem 1&2 combined, physics 1&2 combined, etc..so they are 5 days/week and during the day time.

However, if you are not in the diploma program and are only taking the prereqs ala carte
at Harvard Extension, then you can take classes over the summer at another school like UMass, Northeastern, or B.U. (students that are in the premedical studies diploma program at HES must complete the 8 core prereqs at Harvard Extension & Harvard Summer school.)

http://extension.harvard.edu/2008-09/programs/hcp/diploma/

Good luck!

Last edited:
Like Jacq said, it's possible to do the program in less than 2 years if you take classes at the summer school. A bunch of people do summer chem, then bio, orgo, and physics throughout the academic year to finish in exactly one year - that's what I'm doing now. I'm in my late 20s and want to finish this program ASAP, so I really like being able to "save" a year. However, if you do this, you probably won't have time for a part-time job. Also, summer classes are more expensive than extension school courses. But if money is a concern, then as far as maximizing lifetime earnings, I think the one year program is the way to go. I'd rather pay the extra $3000 to save a year - as far as I'm concerned, that $3000 is a bargain in the long run if it will give me an extra year of post-dental school earnings (I'm one of the few people in the program who isn't pre-med).

Another benefit of the one year program is that med schools are impressed by people who are able to handle the courseload of 3 lab classes at the same time. It's not easy! Some people can't handle the courseload, so the one year program isn't for everyone. If you're motivated, and if you got good grades in college, and maybe took some AP science classes in high school, you'll be fine with the one year program. If you're entering the HES program because you're grades in college were poor, I would recommend taking your time and dong the program in 2 years so that you can make sure you get good grades. Either way, talk to Fixsen about it.

Also, for the summer classes, you are surrounded by the same group of students all day, 5 days a week. It was a great way to meet friends and also study partners.

The classes at the HES are hard but not impossible, you just have to put in the study time. I have heard that people who do well in these classes generally do very well on the MCAT or DAT.

Good luck

I was just wondering if anyone has taken the second part of Physics at HES, PHYS E-1b with Dr. Wolfgang Rueckner, and if you had much use of the textbook. On the syllabus it says they use Giancoli, Physics: Principle with Applications, 6th ed.,Vol.1 & Vol.2.

I'm not trying to cut corners, but I wanted to know how necessary the book was? Or if the notes are enough to do well in the course. Money is tight!

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Anyone else attending the open house on Jan 22nd?

Anyone else attending the open house on Jan 22nd?

The information session is good. It will really give you perspective on the big picture, like you can get nowhere else, with plenty of details. Everyone should go!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering if anyone has taken the second part of Physics at HES, PHYS E-1b with Dr. Wolfgang Rueckner, and if you had much use of the textbook. On the syllabus it says they use Giancoli, Physics: Principle with Applications, 6th ed.,Vol.1 & Vol.2.

I'm not trying to cut corners, but I wanted to know how necessary the book was? Or if the notes are enough to do well in the course. Money is tight!

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Well, for learning the material, the textbook probably isn't necessary. However, the problem sets that are due each week are taken from the textbook. So yes, you will need to buy it, and you will need the 6th edition.

Check ebay and amazon used books. if you can find the international edition, the contents are the exact same as the US edition. The only difference is the cover, which says "International Edition" in big letters - that's the edition I'm using right now. Even if you can't find the international edition, ebay or amazon are probably still cheaper than the Coop. Depending on what you need, the textbook is available as 1 big textbook covering both semesters, and it's also available as vol 1 (fall) and vol 2 (spring) seperately.

Hi all,

I am planning on starting the HCP in the fall. I was just wondering how you all are planning on paying for everything. I know the classes aren't that expensive themselves but are people planning on working (full or part) or taking loans?
thanks

Hey there, been accepted and trying to figure out if I'm starting in the spring or fall. Leaning towards the summer program. Thoughts?

Moving up from NYC probably in late May. And yes, I'm taking out loans and maxing out credits cards. I hope to have a part time job as well.

Anyone have any good advice on housing?

My email is [email protected] if anyone wants to chat more.

Hi all,

I am planning on starting the HCP in the fall. I was just wondering how you all are planning on paying for everything. I know the classes aren't that expensive themselves but are people planning on working (full or part) or taking loans?
thanks

If you are in the diploma program you qualify to apply for financial aid...That is what I will be doing, along with working my full time job.

http://extension.harvard.edu/2008-09/register/financial/finaid/

If you are in the diploma program you qualify to apply for financial aid...That is what I will be doing, along with working my full time job.

http://extension.harvard.edu/2008-09/register/financial/finaid/

I am not actually going to be a diploma candidate. Financial aid seems to only be available for 1 year at the undergraduate rate (does anyone know how much that would be?).
I'm not local (from dc) so my main concern is housing since the classes are affordable

Hey all,

I'm finishing up my senior year of college and will be going up to Boston next year to complete my pre-reqs at HES. I think I will go up this summer and take something in summer school while living on campus. This way I'll be able to get a feel for the area before comitting to housing. I'll also be able to find a job. Anyway, if anyone's looking for a room mate let me know!

I was curious, is anyone else planning on attending the informational on Jan. 22nd? I just booked my flight for the 21st, and will be staying in town until the 24th...figured I would take a couple of days to explore Cambridge, check out Harvard, etc. If anyone is interested in meeting up for a drink or something after the informational, let me know! I'd love to get to know some of the people that will be joining me in the fall. Also, I will be looking for roommates for the summer and beyond, so if you're interested, shoot me a message. I am looking for somewhere on the Red Line, preferably. :)

I was curious, is anyone else planning on attending the informational on Jan. 22nd? I just booked my flight for the 21st, and will be staying in town until the 24th...figured I would take a couple of days to explore Cambridge, check out Harvard, etc. If anyone is interested in meeting up for a drink or something after the informational, let me know! I'd love to get to know some of the people that will be joining me in the fall. Also, I will be looking for roommates for the summer and beyond, so if you're interested, shoot me a message. I am looking for somewhere on the Red Line, preferably. :)

I'll be there! ;)

Well I guess I'd better shell out some $ and come if I plan on doing this next year...

I'll be there on the 22nd. There are a few good places to get a drink.

I live in Boston, but I'm moving to Cambridge to be closer to Harvard, and I'm looking for new roommates. If anyone is interested in chatting about housing after the thing, let me know.

[email protected]

Just in case this is useful to anyone, HCP students (diploma or non-diploma) are eligible for financial aid this is some information I got from Samatha Lehr who is the liaison for HCP students and financial aid. Unfourtunatley I can't make it to the orientation (I'm from D.C and its inaguration week + work) but I will eventually need roomates!

Stafford Loan limits for dependent students are up to $2,750 per semester and, for independent students, up to $2,750 subsidized and up to $6,250 including the Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. Eligible Health Career students may borrow those amounts for up to three consecutive terms within the 12
months --- fall, spring, and summer or spring, summer, and fall, or summer, fall, and spring.

The other limit to be concerned about is the aggregate Stafford Loan limit of $31,000 for dependent students and up to $57,500 for independent students, including outstanding Stafford Loans from earlier undergraduate studies.

Hello,

This question is for those who have already attended the program. If you DID NOT work full time (and don't have piles of money sitting in the bank) did you end up having to take out private loans to cover cost of living (food, rent, etc..). I've heard people say that working full time is not a good idea, to others saying its hard but doable, I would like to be able to focus on class as much as possible AND not go into debt. I tried to find some answers to this on the previous years posts but couldn't find it...I looked for a long time though so I might have glazed over it.
Thanks!

I'm actually attending the program this May and I'm looking for roommates. It would be great if we can get a group of people together in a house.

Send me a private message if your interested.

Hey all, I just got my acceptance letter into the Health Careers Program. Whoot! :soexcited: Although I didn't get into the Diploma program because I took one quarter of biology in a community college so, so long ago.

Where are you guys all living? I'm living in Japan now, and I'm also interested in looking for roommates for Fall '09. Are you guys going up early to look for a place?

Hi everyone,
Just finished my first semester so I thought i would share with you some info..

Best place to find housing check craigslist. The closer you live to campus, the more expensive it tends to get. Most people live off of T stations. Check Porter Square and Central square. Check for NO FEE apartments and really set a budget thats in your range. I live about a mile away from campus, I have a bus stop right in front of my apartment complex (literally!), and all my utilities are paid for (cable, water, gas, internet, laundry.. the works.) So really look for deals. If you're moving from far away like Cali (i did) set up appointments at places then plan a trip, take a look, then sign a lease. Most people start looking in July because people move out in June/ leases end. (I came in August and moved in Sept in time for class)

Classes are in the evening (lecture). So unless you drive, its best to walk, take the T (subway). (Or bus.) And if you do drive, there is a harvard parking structure its called broadway. Its near the science center so its a close walk. Parking for the entire year is $50 and you can use it after 5pm on the weekdays and weekends. Google harvard parking and you'll find the evening commuter info.

Some classes arrange for "afternoon" sections. Like Chem for example. I had my section and lab wednesday mornings from 9-12. I found it more convenient that having to stay until 11pm doing lab. Although most section time slots do run in the evenings and afternoons. Chem and Physics have 1 hour sections and 3 hour labs

Some people work. Some don't. Most think it is best to stay focused on getting good grades. The way I see it is I rather be in some debt with good grades rather than paying school off while working and getting horrible grades due to financial worries.

With that being said, for this year I was still "dependent." The max loan I got from the school in finaid was just over $5000ish. To add, I had to take out a private student loan, I went through Chase, for about $25k. Keep in mind that money had to cover housing, food, bills, insurance, etc.

If you are not a diploma candidate, you aren't offered school health insurance so you'll have to find it on your own. You also don't get an ID card.. not a big deal so don't fret.

Most people here are taking 2 classes per semester. Thats half time. So yes, you do have time to get a part-time job, volunteer, shadow. A 2nd year gave me advice to do that stuff your first year because 2nd year gets A LOT tougher/demanding.

Some people go ahead and take 3 glasses but unless you are super stellar, I wouldn't risk trying to rush this program.

So if you have any more q's just let me know. I hope this helps! :)

I'm going to be starting an original post for the housing process but since so many people seem to be interested, I figured I'd start here. I know there's a lot of us looking to get housing for Fall '09 so if you want to send me an email to [email protected] or PM me here with at least the following, I'll start a basic mailing list we can all use. It's just going to be a simple "reply to all" list so if someone knows how/can setup a permanent one on some kind of listserve, it would be greatly appreciated and probably far better. If not, I'll see what I can do over the next few days.

Please provide:

1. Username and/or real name. Whatever you want to be identified by to the public. If you send your real name I'll just use initials.

2. Price range you're looking for.

3. How many roommates do you want/are you willing to have?

4. How far are you willing to live from Harvard?

5. When are you looking to move to Boston/start your lease?

6. When did you graduate and what's your age? I suspect we'll have a variety of people and someone in their 40s may not want to live with someone who just graduated from college.

7. A few words about your hobbies outside of academia - think movies, music, outdoor activities, exercise etc.

I think that should give a decent start to this idea and people can email each other to work things out further if they want. I'm open to any other ideas for organizing this thing as well.

how many of you are going to the info. session tomorrow night? a few of us are planning on going out for a couple of drinks after...all are welcome. see you there!

Both actually. There are plenty of people here to enhance credentials (myself included). It's pretty tough to find a cheaper option for undergrad courses in the Boston area. Couldn't be happier with the program so far.

Hey - I'll be joining everybody in the fall! Unfortunately I couldn't make it to Boston today for the info session, so I'd love to hear how it was and what you guys learned about the program. Also, I did my undergrad at BU, so if anyone has questions about Boston let me know!

One of the things I'm most curious about are the financial aid options for the program if you're not a diploma candidate. I read some info people posted in other replies in this thread, but it'd be good to find out if you guys learned anything else at the info session. I'm anticipating having to take out loans for living expenses, which is a little nervewracking... Also, do you know if you need to do anything besides register for classes in August to confirm that you're participating in the program? It seems like it is all pretty self-directed as far as figuring out your schedule and setting up advising and such.

Thanks for any info you have! I'm excited to meet everybody!

Hey everyone! I'm going to do my post-bac classes at HES. I'm actually going to start with Gen Chem in the summer at Harvard Summer School and take Orgo, Bio and Physics during the 2009-2010 academic year. Anyone else planning a similar schedule?

Looking forward to a good year and meeting everyone. =)

Hey everyone! I'm going to do my post-bac classes at HES. I'm actually going to start with Gen Chem in the summer at Harvard Summer School and take Orgo, Bio and Physics during the 2009-2010 academic year. Anyone else planning a similar schedule?

Looking forward to a good year and meeting everyone. =)

I'm planning on doing the same schedule. It should be an interesting year.

Hello everyone, I also plan on attending this program. I am moving there Cali so I'm excited for something different (weather). Hope to see you all there!

Good luck! I thought about doing the same thing, but I got too worried about keeping up with all the classes, preparing for the MCAT, volunteering, getting research experience, and all those lovely things that making applying to medical school so great. Plus, being at Harvard is pretty cool, and I love the area, so I decided to just do the two year road.

I hear you on the intensity of doing it in one year! I thought long and hard about it but figured I'd go for it since I originally planned to do a 1 year formal post bac program. The other main thing is being a student for two years and earning no decent income for two years... I figured if I do it in one year, I can get a full time job during my glide year vs having a part time job for 2 years and taking classes.

Some ppl say $10K-$30K isn't much in the long run but in my personal opinion, it's a lot of after tax dollars.

:) If for some reason you decide on the 1 year thing, give us a shout on the forum. It seems like some others are doing the 1 year thing as well...

Good luck! I thought about doing the same thing, but I got too worried about keeping up with all the classes, preparing for the MCAT, volunteering, getting research experience, and all those lovely things that making applying to medical school so great. Plus, being at Harvard is pretty cool, and I love the area, so I decided to just do the two year road.

I'm planning on doing the same schedule. It should be an interesting year.

Yes! I'm looking forward to it. To be honest, cramming gen chem in 6 weeks seems more intimidating (to me at least) than doing bio, orgo, and physics over a year.

If anyone still needs to purchase the course book, please pm me. Book is brand new. Selling well below list price.

Genetics: From Genes to Genomes Hartwell (3rd ed - 2006 - US version - Hardcover)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0073227382

Yes! I'm looking forward to it. To be honest, cramming gen chem in 6 weeks seems more intimidating (to me at least) than doing bio, orgo, and physics over a year.

Yeah I'm thinking about doing it in 1 year too just to save some money. I was either going to do it in 2 years and have to work part time, or do it in 1 year and not work. While taking 3 classes will not be easier it may give me some more time for volunteering. Either way I feel like I will have to get a loan to pay for living costs since I doubt a part time job would cover rent, tuition, books, etc.., so being able to save a year of living costs is definitely appealing. Does any one know how chem is over the summer? That is my biggest concern too.

I just purchased some self-teaching books on chemistry, physics and biology to prep before I take the courses. I'm going to spend the month of February prepping for chemistry.

Anyone found housing or looking for housing? I need to find a place before the end of March.

Hey, I have a question:

Is it possible to apply for med school w/ sponsorship, while you're finishing classes? Or do you have to complete the courses, then apply for sponsorship.

Ex: If you need to take 5 classes for the sponsorship, and in the Fall semester, you're on the 5th and last class, could you apply then? Or do you have to wait until the next academic year to start the application season?

Yeah I'm thinking about doing it in 1 year too just to save some money. I was either going to do it in 2 years and have to work part time, or do it in 1 year and not work. While taking 3 classes will not be easier it may give me some more time for volunteering. Either way I feel like I will have to get a loan to pay for living costs since I doubt a part time job would cover rent, tuition, books, etc.., so being able to save a year of living costs is definitely appealing. Does any one know how chem is over the summer? That is my biggest concern too.

I PM'ed some folks on this forum who did G Chem over the summer. I think the consensus is that it is extremely intense (i.e., be prepared to study hours a day) but doable if you are disciplined and focused. Also, I think it's probably a bit helpful to have some chem background (like high school) and if you are decent at algebra. good luck with your decision!

Hey, I have a question:

Is it possible to apply for med school w/ sponsorship, while you're finishing classes? Or do you have to complete the courses, then apply for sponsorship.

Ex: If you need to take 5 classes for the sponsorship, and in the Fall semester, you're on the 5th and last class, could you apply then? Or do you have to wait until the next academic year to start the application season?

You can apply while you're taking classes. You just have to apply for sponsorship by the appropriate deadline (fall semester before the summer you are applying). I'm pretty sure it's detailed out on their website. If you haven't had a chance to read it, I think it's a pretty good resource! =)

You can apply while you're taking classes. You just have to apply for sponsorship by the appropriate deadline (fall semester before the summer you are applying). I'm pretty sure it's detailed out on their website. If you haven't had a chance to read it, I think it's a pretty good resource! =)

Thanks, I've read the website--I've must have overlooked that part.

I think I might go up there in the Spring of 2011 and apply to med school in the Fall. Maybe I can apply for sponsorship before I start the program?

Last edited:
Any word on housing?

Does anyone know, on average, how many credits is each class? I'm currently in the Columbia Postbacc program now, and thinking of transferring to HES for my organic chemistry/biology year. Do you think it will be possible to get the 20 credits needed for sponsorship?

Does anyone know, on average, how many credits is each class? I'm currently in the Columbia Postbacc program now, and thinking of transferring to HES for my organic chemistry/biology year. Do you think it will be possible to get the 20 credits needed for sponsorship?

All classes are 4 credits (with lab).

All classes are 4 credits (with lab).

Ah, thank you. So - that would mean, if I took the orgo/bio sequence, only, that I would have 16 credits, four short of the required 20. I read on the website that they sometimes adjust sponsorship to reflect certain students' needs - is a situation where someone is transferring from another postbacc a situation in which they would potentially adjust the sponsorship requirements? I only ask because I am really interested in transfering, and becoming quite dissafected with the dysfunctional Columbia administration.