Official Harvard 2009! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also - if anyone has any experience with transferring into HES from another postbacc, I would be interested to hear. Is it possible to take a sequence of Chem II, Physics II, and Stats over the summer at HES? (I'm currently taking Chem I, Phys I, and Calc at Columbia).

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering applying to Harvard but does it really take more than 1 year? The website states it can be done in a year + summer.

Any thoughts or advice on this? I want a program thats essentially 1yr and done but 2 classes seems like an awful light class load but then i know nothing of the classes themselves

I Just got my letter yesterday. I am not sure if i am going to take chem this summer or wait till the fall. There is a significant price difference. I have also herd it is much more intense then the regular school year. I plan to work part time so i can focus on the classes and ECs. My first priority is GPA (poor undergrad) and I have do not have any science background. Any thoughts :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am considering applying to Harvard but does it really take more than 1 year? The website states it can be done in a year + summer.

Any thoughts or advice on this? I want a program thats essentially 1yr and done but 2 classes seems like an awful light class load but then i know nothing of the classes themselves

All the pre-reqs can be done in a year and summer. That's what Scripps and Goucher's post-bacc do, but they only accept people in the program who have clinical and volunteer experience already. It's not easy when you think of all the stuff you have to do to have a decent chance at getting accepted into med school. You need to kick butt at the MCAT, volunteer at medical organizations, shadow doctors, get research experience, and more.

If you've already done a lot of volunteering and other medicially related activities like that, it should be possible to get all the pre-reqs for med school done in a year and summer. But if you haven't done volunteering, I don't think that short amount of time is enough. Remember, the average applicant to medical school has done 3 or 4 years of volunteering and has completed months of clinical and research experience. And on top of all this, the Harvard classes aren't easy. I've heard recommendations from a few people who have done the program in a year + summer that they wished they had taken it slower.

Whatever choice you make, good luck! Getting into medical school isn't easy.

zii0 - thanks for the thoughts

i volunteer on an ambulance (over 1000 hrs in 2008) and have a good amount of clinical and research experience - so i am less concerned with my EC than I am with my grades.

I guess i'll consider applying

Last edited by a moderator:
Was just accepted into the program last night. Only took about a week to get a response.

Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Very curious about housing ect.

What is going on with housing? I'm going to be overseas for about a month before the program starts in May and I was wondering if anyone was looking or plans on looking. It would be great if we got a group of people together into a place so we would be around a group of peers who can help push each other.

Just finished the application - it'll go out in the mail today.

Hopefully i'll find out in the next two weeks if what kbsmit3 said is true

I bet you will hear in two weeks, possibly less. They have been very quick recently.

What is going on with housing? I'm going to be overseas for about a month before the program starts in May and I was wondering if anyone was looking or plans on looking. It would be great if we got a group of people together into a place so we would be around a group of peers who can help push each other.

I think it would be awesome to get a bunch of people together to help each other. I'm planning to start in fall semester, so I was going to go up in the beginning of August to look for housing and roommates. If anyone else is planning to start looking around then, it would be cool to get a house together. I would definitely love roommates to keep costs down.

Hey Everyone,

I think since several people have mentioned searching for housing, I think it would be a great idea to maybe start a google group and help each other out and possibly connect as roommates. It would save us all money and time searching for places to live. Say "ya" or "nay" if you're interested.

I'm starting in the Fall, but I'd like to start the search for housing soon so I can move up in August. Thanks.

I mailed in the app today, but should I gain acceptance - i would be interested in hearing housing discussions.

Well, I figured I'd give it a shot to start a thread specifically for people who are interested in starting Harvard's HCP program in 2009, either summer or fall. I am going to be moving up to Boston from Texas in May to get settled in and look for a job, etc...so, anyone else in a similar situation, please introduce yourself! :)

Howdy! Im from Texas too, I actually moved here last year, but I have finally decided and mustered up the guts to bust my ass off to pursue my dreams.

So I will be enrolling Fall 2009, I haven't decided if I im going to do the 1 or 2 year track yet. I will to play it by ear.

Anyone feel free to contact me if you need answers about the move, area, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still running the housing list if anyone's interested in it. I didn't have a google group running but I'll go ahead and set one up. Just email me at [email protected] with the following info:

1. Name

2. Desired Rent

3. maximum Roommates

4. Max distance from harvard

5. Desired lease start date

6. Year of graduation/age

7. Hobbies & Interests

8. public contact email

As for housing some of the usual suspects are brookline, somerville, and allston. Rent can be relatively inexpensive and its close to cambridge. Unfortunatley I am going to have to commute to the city from the north shore, what ev' no big whoop.
It might also be a good idea to start thinking about setting up a study group when classes start. Just checking but how many of you are seeking the HES-HCP Diploma; meant for students with no undergrad science backround?

Harvard doesn't require LOR right? I don't remember seeing any needed in the app

Harvard doesn't require LOR right? I don't remember seeing any needed in the app

Nope. Just your transcripts and answer the short essay questions. No letters of recommendations.

excellent - thanks!

Just was a little concerned that i'd missed something as the other post-bac/MS programs i've been applying to all want LORs

As for housing some of the usual suspects are brookline, somerville, and allston. Rent can be relatively inexpensive and its close to cambridge. Unfortunatley I am going to have to commute to the city from the north shore, what ev' no big whoop.
It might also be a good idea to start thinking about setting up a study group when classes start. Just checking but how many of you are seeking the HES-HCP Diploma; meant for students with no undergrad science backround?

I'd be interested in joining a study group. I will be starting in the Summer program and will also be pursuing the HCP Diploma

I say we organize something now so we do not procrastinate these next couple of months and put together a solid housing plan. Contact grt398 with your details so we can set up a list of individuals interested in getting a house.

I plan on doing this program within a period of a year and would like everyone that I work with to be the best.

To all the housing folk, as soon as i know if im accepted or not, i'll message someone

hey guys! I got my letter last week and I'm also very interesting in working something out for housing with anyone who's interested. Is the google group up? I've emailed my info to grt398. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to email me/msg me to discuss the program and housing details
thanks!
Mariana

mv110 - was the time between submitting and accepting about a week like other people on here? or was it a bit longer

Hey! In my case it took about 2 weeks. I sent the application in around FEB 5th and got a response around the 18th. When did you send yours in? Email/msg if you need anything!
Mariana

Got my letter about a week after I sent in the application. Does anyone have more information about how successful HCP students are at getting into medical school?

Got my letter about a week after I sent in the application. Does anyone have more information about how successful HCP students are at getting into medical school?

I've heard 90% tossed around as being around the percentage of HCP students who have successfully gotten into med school; however, I haven't seen anyone be able to confirm that as official. I'd love to hear something official, so if you do find something, please post it here!

I've heard 90% tossed around as being around the percentage of HCP students who have successfully gotten into med school; however, I haven't seen anyone be able to confirm that as official. I'd love to hear something official, so if you do find something, please post it here!

80-90% of students who complete the program and receive sponsorship are accepted to at least one medical school. Not sure what the total numbers are for the program or for those ineligible, for whatever reason, for sponsorship.

Is it stupid that I am taking classes on my own at HES? I didn't apply to the program because I only needed to take Phys II, Orgo I and II. I figured I would just take them informally as well as some upper level science courses. I only have a cGPA of 2.9 so I wanted to just take my pre-reqs, raise my GPA to 3.0+ then apply to SMP after MCATs.

Should I have applied to the formal program, and if so, would I still be able to and what are the general admission requirements (Avg. Stats)?

Any help would be awesome, thanks alot!!

Don't quote me on this, but I doubt the Harvard Career Program at HES is that hard to get into. The application process seems really simple compared to most other programs (no interviews, no recommendation letters, etc.). Having said that, you might want to wait til someone with more knowledge confirms this.. You could also talk to Mr. Owen Peterson at the HES if you're on campus sometime, I've exchanged a few emails with him and he's very nice. Good luck!

Edit: By the way, how are the classes at Harvard?

I'm currently attending Harvard Extension taking Bio II. I'll be taking Gen chem I & II next year in addition to a slew of upper div sciences. I've already taken Organic Chem I and will be taking II this summer at a different school. I know it seems backwards but I have very good preparation in the sciences; unfortunately med schools prefer classes NOT taken from the school of health professions, which is where my prior BS and DPT classes were taken.

Anyways, I'll be applying for sponsorship as well as several others here, since I've been out of school for a couple years. It looks like you must apply by 9/27 of the year prior to completing classes the following spring/summer. My plan is to take Gen Chem I and II next year, in addition to Genetics, Cell Bio and Biochem (assuming they allow it concurrently with Gen Chem). I completed physics I/II way back in undergrad and took Bio I and Orgo I at another school this past fall.

I'm very much looking forward to continuing through next year. The coursework is very challenging so far in Bio II, which is excellent prep for the MCAT I assume. I think it is a privilege to be able to take these classes for the tuition they offer, when compared to some of the other wallet-raping schools available around here.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the school, I'd be happy to answer.

Their stat requirements for sponsorship are listed on their page. For pre-app numbers, if you have >3.2, you need 20 credits of > or = B work; between 3.0-3.2, 24 credits; and I think below 3.0 you would need 28 credits + a 30+ on the MCAT. I believe they will accept most anyone with a strong desire to succeed and some evidence of recent scholastic achievement. You can start classes and then apply after doing well (which I plan on doing).

80-90% of students who complete the program and receive sponsorship are accepted to at least one medical school. Not sure what the total numbers are for the program or for those ineligible, for whatever reason, for sponsorship.

Hello! I will most likely be part of the diploma program at HES this fall.
I was in Boston in late January, so took the opportunity to visit Mr. Peterson (Dr.?) to ask him some questions about the program. He said that, yes, 80-90% of the students who are sponsored by HCP are accepted into medical school.
However, within a class of students eligible for sponsorship, only about 50% will get sponsorship per year. Each class hovers around 150, meaning about 75 will get sponsored, and probably all but 7 will get into medical school.
In order to get sponsorship, you have to meet criteria listed on their site and pay a $500 fee.
He said the 50% rate of sponsorship is mostly owed to 1) people discovering that they do not, in fact, want to become doctors, 2) people finding the course work too difficult, and/or 3) people not being able to balance coursework with other commitments in their life, such as work or family.

What does this mean? First, I think this shows that there is much diversity in terms of ability and life situations. And secondly, I think it shows that provided one is able to put in the time and works hard to make grade, it is a very successful program at getting students into medical school. Of course, the requirements to get sponsored make it so that only at least mid-range candidates can apply. But considering that the only criteria for sponsorship seems to be grades and MCAT, 85% is pretty good.
Another thing to remember is that the jobs of Dr. Fixsen and Mr. Peterson, as advisors, are to advise students realistically about their chances as well as offer advice about where to shore up an application.
I'm confident that dollar for dollar, HCP is a tremendous value.

Thanks for giving us the official information, TeoBDL. It's nice to know that a fairly high percentage of people are able to make it into medical school after receiving sponsorship, especially considering that the HCP is willing to sponsor people with GPA of under 3.0.

I totally agree, HCP is probably the best program available dollar for dollar. I'd love to go to Goucher or another top end program, but it's not worth going into debt before even getting to medical school.

DPT2DO,

So you have talked to someone at HES that said you can start taking classes and then apply to the HCP? Do those classes get counted towards the credits you need for sponsorship? let me know, thx!

Yes to both of your questions.

Hey guys. I'm a recent college graduate, who is planning to start a post-bacc program in preparation for med school. I did very well in college, but never fully considered being pre-med and so I didn't take any of the requisite courses.

I'm looking into the Harvard program and have a few questions. First, is it too late to apply for the Fall? (Or for the Summer?) I'm having a hard time trying to find application dates on the website. If I can apply and I get in, what are my changes of being able to finish everything by the end of next summer? Given the courseload, would I be able to engage in extracurricular activities while at HCP?

Finally, does anyone have any other programs which they would say are comparable to Harvard's, either in quality of program or cost-effectiveness? Is it really just $800 a course?

Thanks!

I'm looking into the Harvard program and have a few questions. First, is it too late to apply for the Fall? (Or for the Summer?) I'm having a hard time trying to find application dates on the website. If I can apply and I get in, what are my changes of being able to finish everything by the end of next summer? Given the courseload, would I be able to engage in extracurricular activities while at HCP?

Finally, does anyone have any other programs which they would say are comparable to Harvard's, either in quality of program or cost-effectiveness? Is it really just $800 a course?

Thanks!

I believe you need to apply for sponsorship one year before you plan on applying to medical school. Courses at the HES are open enrollment, so like the other posters said, you could start taking courses there before applying for sponsorship. I'm not sure how that'll work in your situation though, if you plan on doing all the courses in 3 (?) quarters... I'll leave the question of whether or not it's doable (or suggested) to someone more knowledgeable about the program...

About the cost though, the HES's courses are very cheap (relatively). Some courses may cost more than 800, depending on what you want to take; they have a full price listing on their website. Something else to factor in though is the cost of living in Boston. I know a few medical students who lived in the general Harvard area, and while they say the area is amazing, it's also pretty costly. Not costly enough to make it more expensive than going to a formal post-bacc program though!

I was accepted to the Harvard Health Careers Program, but i dont think I can go because I can't find a job in the Boston area. Any suggestions? I have been looking for a job for a month now. My undergrad degree is in music performance at a music conservaotry, but I have taken so many classes at the adjoining university. I looked at jobs at hospitals and such. where are you all working? Also, anyone need a roomate? The rent is so expensive!

Just a quick question: is it too late to apply for the HCP-Diploma in Premedical Studies for the Summer/Fall 2009?

Medical13,

To my knowledge, you just need to apply one year before you plan on applying to Medical School. You should still have time to apply I believe

Can anyone explain the issue of sponsorship?

Let's imagine that I want to apply to the Harvard program for this year. I'd be starting in the Fall 2009 and would try to be done by the end of next summer (2010).

Would it be possible to apply for sponsorship this year so that I would be able to do med school applications in 2010-2011 for admittance in 2011-2012?

Would I be able to apply for med schools starting next July (or whenever apps start) if I'm just finishing the last of orgo and haven't taken the MCAT (but would do so around August)?

Can anyone explain the issue of sponsorship?

Let's imagine that I want to apply to the Harvard program for this year. I'd be starting in the Fall 2009 and would try to be done by the end of next summer (2010).

Would it be possible to apply for sponsorship this year so that I would be able to do med school applications in 2010-2011 for admittance in 2011-2012?

Would I be able to apply for med schools starting next July (or whenever apps start) if I'm just finishing the last of orgo and haven't taken the MCAT (but would do so around August)?

You apply for sponsorship in the Fall of the year before applying to med school.

I heard back from Harvard. They told returned my check with a letter how I've done too many science classes to make taking the program worthwhile.

They said I could attend if I wanted but wanted to give me an opportunity to rethink whether it would be worth it.

Very nice of them to return the check.

I heard back from Harvard. They told returned my check with a letter how I've done too many science classes to make taking the program worthwhile.

They said I could attend if I wanted but wanted to give me an opportunity to rethink whether it would be worth it.

Wow, that was incredibly nice of them. To be so upfront about your prospects AND to return your check. HES is sending out wonderful vibes right about now :D

What are you planning on doing? How many and which science classes have you already taken? Were you planning on take extra courses or repeating some of them? If you were repeating, how many were you thinking of repeating?

Hi all
I have a few questions about the program. Reading from the Harvard website it sounds like people that have already completed their Pre-Reqs (like me) can still apply to the HCP but they will not receive a Diploma after they're done. Is this right? Would I still be eligible for sponsorship assuming I take enough classes?

If I were to apply to HCP would there be a formal program that I can do? or would it be more a la carte, pick and choose?

What are you planning on doing? How many and which science classes have you already taken? Were you planning on take extra courses or repeating some of them? If you were repeating, how many were you thinking of repeating?

I was a Biochem major, and so I did some bio classes but I was hoping to do like immunology, microbiology, A&P stuff like that. I probably took 15+ science classes. I wasn't planning on repeating anything either.

I was very impressed with them for returning the check, but I won't be going to Harvard in the fall haha