Official Harvard Extension 2013 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone here taken either the Calculus A (MATH E-15) or the Statistics (STAT E-100) at the Extension School? What did you think of the classes in terms of difficulty/time commitment and such? I have never taken courses in either of the subjects before and was wondering if they were manageable.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I was hoping some of you could give some insight on my personal situation.

I'm on the verge of being a 'nontrad' - I graduated in 2012 but I'm not applying until June 2014, so I'll be three years out of undergrad when I start. I was a chemistry major at a large research university (not in Boston), and moved here after college, continuing to do research (originally I planned to apply to PhD programs after two years but changed course). My major did not require introductory biology, so I still need to take those pre-reqs. However, I did take an upper division chemical biology course, and I've been working in a biology lab for about a year now. My molecular bio knowledge is pretty good but anatomy, cell bio, etc is lacking.

Here's my question:

1. Any chance my chemical biology course will count for a pre-req? (it was enzymes/kinetics, metabolism, and replication/transcription/translation)

2. If I do have to take both courses, I'll probably take them at HES out of convenience. If I'm only taking these two classes, should I apply for any of the programs within HES, or just take them 'independently'?

3. How difficult will these classes be for a student with a strong science background like myself? I went to a very competitive undergrad, but I wasn't competing with many premedical students. Would it be manageable with a 40 hr/wk research job, and 3 hr/wk volunteering? How about if I did all of those things and a second (upper division science) course?

4. Registration for fall starts July 25th for students enrolled in the program, and the 29th for people taking classes independently (me). Is there any chance that bio 1 will fill up before I get the chance to register? If so, how helpful are administrators/faculty in getting people in that have no alternatives?

5. If I'm not looking to enroll in the official program, are there any other programs in the Boston area that I should look into?

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I was hoping some of you could give some insight on my personal situation.

I'm on the verge of being a 'nontrad' - I graduated in 2012 but I'm not applying until June 2014, so I'll be three years out of undergrad when I start. I was a chemistry major at a large research university (not in Boston), and moved here after college, continuing to do research (originally I planned to apply to PhD programs after two years but changed course). My major did not require introductory biology, so I still need to take those pre-reqs. However, I did take an upper division chemical biology course, and I've been working in a biology lab for about a year now. My molecular bio knowledge is pretty good but anatomy, cell bio, etc is lacking.

Here's my question:

1. Any chance my chemical biology course will count for a pre-req? (it was enzymes/kinetics, metabolism, and replication/transcription/translation)

2. If I do have to take both courses, I'll probably take them at HES out of convenience. If I'm only taking these two classes, should I apply for any of the programs within HES, or just take them 'independently'?

3. How difficult will these classes be for a student with a strong science background like myself? I went to a very competitive undergrad, but I wasn't competing with many premedical students. Would it be manageable with a 40 hr/wk research job, and 3 hr/wk volunteering? How about if I did all of those things and a second (upper division science) course?

4. Registration for fall starts July 25th for students enrolled in the program, and the 29th for people taking classes independently (me). Is there any chance that bio 1 will fill up before I get the chance to register? If so, how helpful are administrators/faculty in getting people in that have no alternatives?

5. If I'm not looking to enroll in the official program, are there any other programs in the Boston area that I should look into?

1. If I were you I wouldn't take chances with prereqs, in terms of colleges accepting them. Some will allow substitutions but you're better off just biting the bullet and getting it on your transcript. It'll save yourself aggro. Plus you're in MA right now--if you didn't graduate from high school here, you're possibly ****ed when it comes to state schools bc of UMass's five-year residency requirement. So you're going to want to apply broadly and you don't want to grovel at each school over prereqs.

2. You have no option but to take them independently at HES, and it's no problem to do so.

3. I have heard that bio is the hardest class prereq class at HES in terms of not being as well run and being a lot of memorization. You should be fine, but be prepared for the time commitment. If you read back through the thread you'll see prior debates we've had here about time commitment and HES, but the shortest answer to your question is that many people do do 40 hrs/week + two classes + volunteering and manage it. NOT PLEASANT, by any means, but doable. Your science background gives you a huge advantage so you will probably be just fine.

4. You'll be fine but try and register in the first week.

5. Northeastern also offers night classes, on a slightly weird schedule because of the quarter system. Their classes are MUCH more expensive than HES and pathetically easy. Take only if you have the spare cash and just need the grade. They will not prepare you well for the MCAT, where HES classes will do a great job at that.

Members don't see this ad :)

You can also look into doing a postbac at Tufts, BU or UMASS Boston.

How crazy?

Well, it is pretty crazy, but it still isn't impossible. I like to think it might be similar to the workloads one might get in medical/dental school in the preclinical years - pretty much class and studying all the time.

What's getting to me though is just the usual stuff that people who've taken Orgo here have gone through - fussiness with arrows, dots, lines on the exams... compounded points off that can cost you a whole exam page... nausea, sweating, cramps, that sort of thing. I can safely say that any enthusiasm I had for chemistry has been beaten out of me with a big, double headed arrow.

Has anyone here taken either the Calculus A (MATH E-15) or the Statistics (STAT E-100) at the Extension School? What did you think of the classes in terms of difficulty/time commitment and such? I have never taken courses in either of the subjects before and was wondering if they were manageable.

I took Calculus A. It was a nice challenge but not unmanageable. I used that class to gauge the potential difficulty of courses at HES. I pulled off an A- while working full-time. The grading scale is not lenient, though. You need to get a 94 overall to get a solid A and the course isn't curved. I missed it by half a point :thumbdown:

Well, it is pretty crazy, but it still isn't impossible. I like to think it might be similar to the workloads one might get in medical/dental school in the preclinical years - pretty much class and studying all the time.

What's getting to me though is just the usual stuff that people who've taken Orgo here have gone through - fussiness with arrows, dots, lines on the exams... compounded points off that can cost you a whole exam page... nausea, sweating, cramps, that sort of thing. I can safely say that any enthusiasm I had for chemistry has been beaten out of me with a big, double headed arrow.

That's the beautiful (and nasty) part of orgo. Scoring above a 95 (hell, even a 90) on an exam means your work was pretty much flawless.

1. If I were you I wouldn't take chances with prereqs, in terms of colleges accepting them. Some will allow substitutions but you're better off just biting the bullet and getting it on your transcript. It'll save yourself aggro. Plus you're in MA right now--if you didn't graduate from high school here, you're possibly ****ed when it comes to state schools bc of UMass's five-year residency requirement. So you're going to want to apply broadly and you don't want to grovel at each school over prereqs.

2. You have no option but to take them independently at HES, and it's no problem to do so.

3. I have heard that bio is the hardest class prereq class at HES in terms of not being as well run and being a lot of memorization. You should be fine, but be prepared for the time commitment. If you read back through the thread you'll see prior debates we've had here about time commitment and HES, but the shortest answer to your question is that many people do do 40 hrs/week + two classes + volunteering and manage it. NOT PLEASANT, by any means, but doable. Your science background gives you a huge advantage so you will probably be just fine.

4. You'll be fine but try and register in the first week.

5. Northeastern also offers night classes, on a slightly weird schedule because of the quarter system. Their classes are MUCH more expensive than HES and pathetically easy. Take only if you have the spare cash and just need the grade. They will not prepare you well for the MCAT, where HES classes will do a great job at that.

If you had to take intro Bio here, I think you'd do fine, even with the 40 hr/wk job. I would advise you to shop around, though. Dr. Roehrig was pretty knowledgeable and helpful but her course had lots of problems and I would not recommend it a-la-carte if a student were not already in HCP. For example, vague exam or lab questions, and her rushing through important points in lecture. The only upshot perhaps is that her course made you think and apply Bio, perhaps preparing you well for the MCAT. And it is possible things will be better during her second round at the helm, but couldn't hurt to look around a bit.

Can anyone tell me what the secret is to doing well in the verbal reasoning section? I think I need to enroll in the Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good :oops:

Hi guys,

I'm almost positive I'm going to move to Boston and take classes at HES this fall. I didn't get accepted to the HCP but I feel like it's still a good value to take the classes there. Can you tell me the best and worst parts of your experience? When I visited Boston I found the people to be a little cold-- is this true of your peers at HES? What's the average age and is it a diverse group?

I want to make an objective decision and have a feel for what I'm getting myself into. I'm in summer gen chem now, so I'd take Orgo 1 and Bio 1 in the fall + a part time job. Is this doable?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I'm almost positive I'm going to move to Boston and take classes at HES this fall. I didn't get accepted to the HCP but I feel like it's still a good value to take the classes there. Can you tell me the best and worst parts of your experience? When I visited Boston I found the people to be a little cold-- is this true of your peers at HES? What's the average age and is it a diverse group?

I want to make an objective decision and have a feel for what I'm getting myself into. I'm in summer gen chem now, so I'd take Orgo 1 and Bio 1 in the fall + a part time job. Is this doable?

Thanks!

Not trying to be rude, but we just had two pages of discussion over the workload at HES and how to balance it with full or part-time work. Maybe go read the last few pages of the thread?

The classes at HES are high quality and prepare you well for the MCAT, which is pretty much what I cared about. They're not easy As, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

Thanks!

Hey sugarmagnolia,

How is the summer gen chem class? I think a lot of people would agree (the professor too!) that the second half of the class is a little tougher and people generally do worse in the second half than the first so buckle up and hit those practice problems even harder. I will say to try your best to understand the concepts coming up, especially acid base chemistry if you plan to take organic chemistry, and Le Chatelier's principle and equilibrium is so pervasive in all the world (especially biology class) that those two are the most important concepts I took away from general chemistry.

I (like many others here on SDN) have been here 2+ years now and I would say the best part of my experience are the quality of the classes. That's the reason why I moved to Boston-- the classes and professors have for the most been part catering to pre-health students for many years now and they've customized the class in a way to be most beneficial for the non-traditional student trying to get into a professional degree program.

The worst part of my experience is ... I don't have any bad experiences that stick out of my mind regarding the classes at HES. I guess I would liked to have the grading structure of the bio class to be more consistent with the other three pre-med classes. Bio was the only class that was graded on a curve -- meaning limited number of As. Although I guess in Orgo when a lot of people are doing well in the class they adjust to lower the average in "other ways."

A lot of people I talk to seem to think that people from Boston are cold and I can see that. I come from a small island where everyone is nice to each other, everyone says "hi" when walking past each the street, people smile a lot and are friendly, so compared to where I'm from yeah Boston and any other large city the people would seem cold. But in my own personal experience, I was living in NYC for a while before moving to Boston and compared to NYC, people from Boston are nice and friendly, which I liked. I did hear before moving out here, and from a lot of people from Boston that people here are elitest and snobby, but I don't really get the impression.

As far as taking orgo and bio and working part-time, it's doable but don't over-load yourself with work and try to get some volunteering/research/shadowing mixed in there on top of your schedule. Orgo and bio for me was a tough combo and required a lot of time.

Good luck!! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what the secret is to doing well in the verbal reasoning section? I think I need to enroll in the Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good :oops:

Practice. Figure out what types of questions you frequently miss. Practice more. IMO, there is no real secret, unfortunately, just persistence and frustration. MCAT Verbal is its own beast. I used BR Verbal-->EK 101-->TPRH Verbal-->AAMC practice tests. My scores went from 7/8 to 11/12. YMMV.

Practice. Figure out what types of questions you frequently miss. Practice more. IMO, there is no real secret, unfortunately, just persistence and frustration. MCAT Verbal is its own beast. I used BR Verbal-->EK 101-->TPRH Verbal-->AAMC practice tests. My scores went from 7/8 to 11/12. YMMV.

I've been using the same materials, except I put away the BR verbal after a few attempts. I haven't tried using any of the AAMC material yet so hopefully I can see some improvement when I do. Verbal is really frustrating though... :thumbdown:

I've been using the same materials, except I put away the BR verbal after a few attempts. I haven't tried using any of the AAMC material yet so hopefully I can see some improvement when I do. Verbal is really frustrating though... :thumbdown:

You should finish BR. It will make you want to just burn the book, but it's still practice. Whatever you do, save the AAMC for last.

Frustrating is good. It means you're being challenged and learning.

I followed the 4-month SN2ED plan. At times I wanted to rip my BR books apart, but the difficulty only helped me in the end.

I followed the 4-month SN2ED plan. At times I wanted to rip my BR books apart, but the difficulty only helped me in the end.

I like BR and Examcrackers. They were my favorite books.

Some of the BR questions make you just shake your head ... 3 subjects of BR down, only 1 more to go then it's practice test time!! Btw I know a lot of people taking the test this week.

These TBR bio passages are really putting me in my place. Getting a really big slice of that humble pie. At least I now know that oleic acid is 18:1 :laugh: :(

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a predicament. Planning on taking Gen Chem and Physics this semester however both classes start at 6pm which is exactly when I get out of work in the Longwood area (takes about 25min by bike to get to HES). Do you all think it's possible to arrive late without missing too much information or will it be impossible to do well in the courses? Also, are all lectures taped?

Thanks for the help.

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a predicament. Planning on taking Gen Chem and Physics this semester however both classes start at 6pm which is exactly when I get out of work in the Longwood area (takes about 25min by bike to get to HES). Do you all think it's possible to arrive late without missing too much information or will it be impossible to do well in the courses? Also, are all lectures taped?

Thanks for the help.

I think you'll be ok. I regularly skipped physics lectures (they started taping them this year, I think, but I didn't watch them either).

IMO consistent attendance at section is the most important thing.

BUT make sure you'll have the OK from your bosses to leave early for exams. The exams start at 6pm sharp and you will want the time.

Thanks for the advice. When does section meet each week?

Thanks for the advice. When does section meet each week?

There are always multiple options. I had similar commute issues so I always wrote down on my section requests forms that it would be extremely difficult for me to make any sections before 7pm due to work. Never had a problem getting what I needed.

Hi All!

Ok, I'm getting excited / slightly terrified for this (I start this fall with Chem + Physics!). In any event, any other students out there feel like getting together before classes start? And, by chance is there anyone that might be giving up their 2 bdrm apt? (can email me at [email protected])

Thank you,
JG

Alright I signed up for chem and physics. So lets get down to brass tacks.

What is the parking situation for HES students?
Is there a 24 hour library? I saw that the hours for grossman library were pathetically short to the point of uselessness, at least for the summer...
What study materials will be helpful. be they books, flashcards, ipad apps, or anything else?

Alright I signed up for chem and physics. So lets get down to brass tacks.

What is the parking situation for HES students?
Is there a 24 hour library? I saw that the hours for grossman library were pathetically short to the point of uselessness, at least for the summer...
What study materials will be helpful. be they books, flashcards, ipad apps, or anything else?

I parked at the SEAS lot for free every evening. No permit needed after 4pm and the lot was never full. Finding non-permit spots can be very difficult in general, so you might consider buying a permit from Harvard. I was almost always out of luck if I needed a spot before 4. There was more info on parking a page back in the thread.

I don't know of a 24 hour library. However, the Science Center computer lab is 24/7. Starbucks in Harvard Square is also open ridiculously late.

For physics and gen chem, the most helpful study method is drilling practice problems whether in the text book for physics or practice problems notebook for chem, also available in .pdf via the course website. I think I made some flashcards early first semester for gen chem, but the majority of the course is problem-solving, not memorization.

There is a lot more info on how to study scattered throughout this thread and past years' threads.

I noticed most of the posts on this thread are specifically about HCP, so I hope I'm not getting too far away from the topic but I had a few questions about HES in general.

Since it's too late to apply for admittance into HCP, I've contacted the department about taking classes through open registration (non-degree) and then applying them towards HCP next year, should I apply and gain admittance. I'm wondering though, if I took HES classes outside of the HCP, would it have a significant impact on how ADCOMs at dental schools view my app (given that I do well in the courses).

Also, I've gone through and made a preliminary list of courses I think I would enjoy while also giving me some upper level science classes to fix my GPA. I settled on a set of 5 courses:

Comparative Anatomy and Physiology of Vertebrates w/ Brooke Flammang-Lockyer
Neurobiology w Shawn Murphy
Intro to Epidemiology w/ Karin B. Michels
Evolution of Microbes w/ Christopher J. Marx
Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology w/ William J. Anderson

I'm looking for any insight SDNers may have on the specific courses or their professors. Also, that's a total of 20 credits and I'd be working part time (maybe 15-20 hours a week) so how doable is this if doing well in the courses in priority numero uno?

Thanks!

I noticed most of the posts on this thread are specifically about HCP, so I hope I'm not getting too far away from the topic but I had a few questions about HES in general.

Since it's too late to apply for admittance into HCP, I've contacted the department about taking classes through open registration (non-degree) and then applying them towards HCP next year, should I apply and gain admittance. I'm wondering though, if I took HES classes outside of the HCP, would it have a significant impact on how ADCOMs at dental schools view my app (given that I do well in the courses).

Also, I've gone through and made a preliminary list of courses I think I would enjoy while also giving me some upper level science classes to fix my GPA. I settled on a set of 5 courses:

Comparative Anatomy and Physiology of Vertebrates w/ Brooke Flammang-Lockyer
Neurobiology w Shawn Murphy
Intro to Epidemiology w/ Karin B. Michels
Evolution of Microbes w/ Christopher J. Marx
Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology w/ William J. Anderson

I'm looking for any insight SDNers may have on the specific courses or their professors. Also, that's a total of 20 credits and I'd be working part time (maybe 15-20 hours a week) so how doable is this if doing well in the courses in priority numero uno?

Thanks!

You seem to have some misconceptions about the mechanics of HCP. HCP is not a degree program--it's a sponsorship program. There's no difference between taking classes 'in' or 'out' of HCP. You sign up for the classes and you take them, you apply to HCP and they agree to sponsor you. This can happen at various points depending on your prior academic history. Career-switchers coming in from top schools with strong academic backgrounds are generally granted immediate acceptance to HCP. If they've filled up for the year, they might ask you to apply next year. If you have a weaker academic record, they might ask you to take some classes first and reapply, or assign you a minimum MCAT score required for sponsorship. But none of that affects your course selection or schedule, and the schools you apply to won't see any kind of difference.

I can't speak to the difficulty of any of the classes you're considering, but 20 credits is a LOT. If the grade repair is the most important piece to you, I would not advise 5 classes + work.

You seem to have some misconceptions about the mechanics of HCP. HCP is not a degree program--it's a sponsorship program. There's no difference between taking classes 'in' or 'out' of HCP. You sign up for the classes and you take them, you apply to HCP and they agree to sponsor you. This can happen at various points depending on your prior academic history. Career-switchers coming in from top schools with strong academic backgrounds are generally granted immediate acceptance to HCP. If they've filled up for the year, they might ask you to apply next year. If you have a weaker academic record, they might ask you to take some classes first and reapply, or assign you a minimum MCAT score required for sponsorship. But none of that affects your course selection or schedule, and the schools you apply to won't see any kind of difference.

I can't speak to the difficulty of any of the classes you're considering, but 20 credits is a LOT. If the grade repair is the most important piece to you, I would not advise 5 classes + work.

That clarifies what HCP is, thanks!

Yes 20 credits is a lot but if I'm doing this to prep for dental school (and tell me if I'm wrong, but this is just my logic) it seems to make sense to really prepare for the course load I'll be facing. From what I've read on the forums, it seems as though most first years in dental school look at 16-24 dental school credits as the equivalent of 30 undergrad credits. That being said, I'm considering going with 16 credits and part time work.

Yes 20 credits is a lot but if I'm doing this to prep for dental school (and tell me if I'm wrong, but this is just my logic) it seems to make sense to really prepare for the course load I'll be facing. From what I've read on the forums, it seems as though most first years in dental school look at 16-24 dental school credits as the equivalent of 30 undergrad credits. That being said, I'm considering going with 16 credits and part time work.

HCP limits you to 16 credits.

I totally ascribe to the philosophy of working hard because you're going to have to work hard in [medical or dental] school anyway (if you scroll back through this thread you'll see several posts on that topic). I myself worked full time + 8 credits of classes for most of my time in HCP (and when I dropped from 8 credits to 4, I was prepping for the MCAT). So I definitely understand the urge to push as hard as you can. But grades are much more important than your overall schedule, no matter how difficult, so you really don't want to imperil them.

You should also take a close look at the schedules for the classes (required sections & labs, etc) because since all the HES classes are at night, they start overlapping really quickly. You may not actually be able to fit in five just because of scheduling.

You should also take a close look at the schedules for the classes (required sections & labs, etc) because since all the HES classes are at night, they start overlapping really quickly. You may not actually be able to fit in five just because of scheduling.

Just checked on that. Some of them have a time listed (Thursday at 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM, for example) but they also say required sections on (Thursday at 7:40 PM to 9:30 PM). Are these required by everyone? I'm just confused because if they are, it would be ideal to just say the course goes from 5:30 PM to 9:30 PM for everyone's sanity. It could just be a logistics issue, idk.

Also, what are optional sections? Is that similar to recitation sections where it's simply smaller class sizes to ask questions and such?

The advice you've been given is very solid IMO. If I were doing grade repair, I'd try to start out with a couple easier courses (perhaps not even at HES) rather than jump into 4 or 5 courses here + part-time work. Of the courses you listed, I'd steer away from Epidemiology as I've heard unpleasant things both in terms of the grading and professor. I also cannot speak very highly of Dr. Anderson (Stem Cell), although he might be more engaged/less monotonous in that course bc it's his specialty. The Microbes course sounds like a wildcard. Neurobio and A/P are somewhat more popular. The one person I know who took Neurobio enjoyed it. A lot of people take A/P and do fine. In general, you should plan to attend all required sections and should at least find out how useful the optional sections will be by emailing the professor.

Have you guys registered for classes already? I've been caught up in the craziness of MCAT studying that I didn't realize that classes are only a month away and I didn't register yet.

The advice you've been given is very solid IMO. If I were doing grade repair, I'd try to start out with a couple easier courses (perhaps not even at HES) rather than jump into 4 or 5 courses here + part-time work. Of the courses you listed, I'd steer away from Epidemiology as I've heard unpleasant things both in terms of the grading and professor. I also cannot speak very highly of Dr. Anderson (Stem Cell), although he might be more engaged/less monotonous in that course bc it's his specialty. The Microbes course sounds like a wildcard. Neurobio and A/P are somewhat more popular. The one person I know who took Neurobio enjoyed it. A lot of people take A/P and do fine. In general, you should plan to attend all required sections and should at least find out how useful the optional sections will be by emailing the professor.

Thanks for the insight! Do you know much about Introduction to MEMS with BioMEMS with Fawwaz Habbal or Tissue Engineering for Clinical Applications with Sujata K. Bhatia? They're in the Engineering Sciences department,so I'm not sure you would have come across them in your studies.

Hmm I'm going to need a place where I can park all day...I assume I will pay handsomely for this? Also does taking classes (not being entrolled in the program) get you a harvard ID? I will need it to ride the bus to LMA

Hmm I'm going to need a place where I can park all day...I assume I will pay handsomely for this? Also does taking classes (not being entrolled in the program) get you a harvard ID? I will need it to ride the bus to LMA
Markmark- the program has changed (no longer granting a certificate or what not). And whether you are admitted or not to the program you do not get a Harvard I.D.

I have read previous posts on this parking problem- check them out.

Don't quote me on this, but I think I've heard people say that they never check for IDs on those shuttles. You can also call the Extension School and ask whether the shuttles are available for HES students, and what the process is if you don't have an ID.

Thanks for the insight! Do you know much about Introduction to MEMS with BioMEMS with Fawwaz Habbal or Tissue Engineering for Clinical Applications with Sujata K. Bhatia? They're in the Engineering Sciences department,so I'm not sure you would have come across them in your studies.

No idea! The only person on this thread who might know anything about those courses is the resident HES troll, but he is on hiatus, or secretly lurking. I take it you've already done Biochem/Molecular Bio/Cell Bio etc. etc and only need science courses?

There are $80 evening permits you can get if you are an Extension student. I don't think you need an ID, just proof of class registration. Why do you need to park near Harvard during the day? My guess is that daytime parking spots will run in the thousands for the year. Another option for the desperate is to park for free near Alewife Brook/Mass Ave in Arlington and take a 15 minute 77 bus ride in.

Anyone planning on attending HES this Fall that is looking for a roommate? I'm not from the Boston area so if I plan on attending HES this Fall (85% sure I will be attending), I will be looking for a cheap place to live within driving distance (I'll be bringing my car).

If you're apartment hunting now or plan on doing it in the next week or so, shoot me a PM.

Thanks!

Anyone planning on attending HES this Fall that is looking for a roommate? I'm not from the Boston area so if I plan on attending HES this Fall (85% sure I will be attending), I will be looking for a cheap place to live within driving distance (I'll be bringing my car).

If you're apartment hunting now or plan on doing it in the next week or so, shoot me a PM.

Thanks!

Is there a specific reason you want to bring your car? 95% of the time in Boston having a car is more trouble than its worth. Unless you need it for a job you're almost always better off using public transportation.

Very true. Aside form the obvious trouble with parking and traffic, there are a lot of hidden costs and pains associated with bringing a car to Boston/Cambridge. Getting towed a few times per year because you didn't move your car for that tree removal project or monthly street cleaning ($300), evil drivers running into your car while it's parked and not leaving any notice ($500 for paint job), driving over a nasty pothole that throws off your alignment ($100 to realign), dealing with inhospitable RMV... Haha, the list goes on

Very true. Aside form the obvious trouble with parking and traffic, there are a lot of hidden costs and pains associated with bringing a car to Boston/Cambridge. Getting towed a few times per year because you didn't move your car for that tree removal project or monthly street cleaning ($300), evil drivers running into your car while it's parked and not leaving any notice ($500 for paint job), driving over a nasty pothole that throws off your alignment ($100 to realign), dealing with inhospitable RMV... Haha, the list goes on

Don't forget the joys of shoveling out your driveway and/or digging your car out and/or engaging the in the extra special elite-level parking wars during snow emergencies....and if you think you've got that covered there's always that random snowplow ready to take off your mirror just for funsies and the roads that are theoretically two lanes that end up being one-and-a-half-if-you-squint from Dec-March.

Is there a specific reason you want to bring your car? 95% of the time in Boston having a car is more trouble than its worth. Unless you need it for a job you're almost always better off using public transportation.

It sounds like a ridiculous reason to go through all the trouble but my car is my stress reliever and I'm assuming HES classes are going to be nothing short of stressful.

It sounds like a ridiculous reason to go through all the trouble but my car is my stress reliever and I'm assuming HES classes are going to be nothing short of stressful.

I wish you all good fortune but unless you're rolling in money the chances of your car *staying* a stress reliever in Boston are kinda slim.

Haha. What? I've lived in Cambridge with a car for 2 years now. No problems. If you want to bring your car, go for it. You will have no more trouble than you would find in any other northern metropolitan area. In fact, speaking just for Cambridge, I have been surprised with how easy it is to find parking.

Now if you're going to have a car in a town other than Cambridge, I'm not as knowledgable. My girlfriend lived in Brighton and parking could sometimes be a pain. It all depends on what neighborhood you're in of course, but like I said, that's like most major cities in the north half of our country.

It is definitely true that a bad snowstorm can cause havoc. Make sure you own a shovel, and it helps to have AWD. If you have the money and it's worth it to you, rent a garage spot. Protects your car and avoids a lot of the snowstorm headaches.

Driving into Harvard square and parking during the day on a regular basis without a Cambridge permit will be extremely expensive, I would guess. The HES parking permits start at about 5pm, you will probably need to hunt for metered spots before that. Won't be a stress reliever at that point.

I hear ya, though. I could have probably survived without a car for these two years, but it can be a form of stress relief, as you said, to be able to just jump in the car and go somewhere.

Haha. What? I've lived in Cambridge with a car for 2 years now. No problems. If you want to bring your car, go for it. You will have no more trouble than you would find in any other northern metropolitan area. In fact, speaking just for Cambridge, I have been surprised with how easy it is to find parking.

Now if you're going to have a car in a town other than Cambridge, I'm not as knowledgable. My girlfriend lived in Brighton and parking could sometimes be a pain. It all depends on what neighborhood you're in of course, but like I said, that's like most major cities in the north half of our country.

It is definitely true that a bad snowstorm can cause havoc. Make sure you own a shovel, and it helps to have AWD. If you have the money and it's worth it to you, rent a garage spot. Protects your car and avoids a lot of the snowstorm headaches.

Driving into Harvard square and parking during the day on a regular basis without a Cambridge permit will be extremely expensive, I would guess. The HES parking permits start at about 5pm, you will probably need to hunt for metered spots before that. Won't be a stress reliever at that point.

I hear ya, though. I could have probably survived without a car for these two years, but it can be a form of stress relief, as you said, to be able to just jump in the car and go somewhere.

I was born and raised in NYC so I'm no stranger to the big city. I've heard Boston's road infrastructure was designed before modern cars and can be confusing and such but I can't imagine that my car would cause me any more trouble there than it would in NYC, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, or any other city I've used it in. It's just a used 93' Acura so even if someone to scrape it, it's not a big deal.

Parking would be my only real concern but, as you said, HES permits start at 5 PM. If that's the case, I should be okay since all the classes I'm looking to register for start at 5:30 PM. Anyway, it's nice to hear everyone's concerns regardless of what your opinion about the topic. As far as I'm concerned I'll be more prepared, so thank you!