Official Harvard Extension 2013 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ha. I'm not sure my experiences are typical. People should bring cars here if they want. But I don't think it's a stretch to say if you're coming from the Midwest or a smaller town, Cambridge's permit process, parking restrictions and monthly street "cleanings" will be a surprise, and cause at least a couple headaches. I also cannot say it's easy to find parking in my neighborhood, even with a permit.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone here still looking for a roommate for Sept 1. It's been tough finding a decent place as always during this time of the year. I spoke to a realtor and she said prices have definitely gone up in the past year in the Cambridge area :-(

PM me so we can exchange info.

Hey everyone, hope your summers are going well! Has anyone taken intro to genetics at HES? I'm planning my work schedule and a Monday 5:30 class will be really hard to get to on time. If its the kind of class I could come late to (obviously not on test days) or watch online, then I could take it. I know it's far away (spring quarter) but I need to have an idea of my schedule for my employer. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha. What? I've lived in Cambridge with a car for 2 years now. No problems. If you want to bring your car, go for it. You will have no more trouble than you would find in any other northern metropolitan area. In fact, speaking just for Cambridge, I have been surprised with how easy it is to find parking.

Now if you're going to have a car in a town other than Cambridge, I'm not as knowledgable. My girlfriend lived in Brighton and parking could sometimes be a pain. It all depends on what neighborhood you're in of course, but like I said, that's like most major cities in the north half of our country.

It is definitely true that a bad snowstorm can cause havoc. Make sure you own a shovel, and it helps to have AWD. If you have the money and it's worth it to you, rent a garage spot. Protects your car and avoids a lot of the snowstorm headaches.

Driving into Harvard square and parking during the day on a regular basis without a Cambridge permit will be extremely expensive, I would guess. The HES parking permits start at about 5pm, you will probably need to hunt for metered spots before that. Won't be a stress reliever at that point.

I hear ya, though. I could have probably survived without a car for these two years, but it can be a form of stress relief, as you said, to be able to just jump in the car and go somewhere.

Or just start biking!

Hi all! I'll be taking biochem in the fall and was wondering if anyone knew whether lectures are posted online. I can't find anything on the syllabus about it. Thanks!

Hi all! I'll be taking biochem in the fall and was wondering if anyone knew whether lectures are posted online. I can't find anything on the syllabus about it. Thanks!

I don't think they were. They also aren't very good lectures.

I was forced to miss most of the lectures because of my work schedule (I was very unhappy about the early start time--extremely discourteous to those of us with long commutes). I did fine in the class. The assignments and tests are generally drawn straight from the powerpoints anyway. I recommend getting a study group to talk out the psets.

As in the lecture videos? No, they aren't. But you don't really need to go to lecture. Everything is straight from the slides, which are posted. She never annotates the slides, so what you see is what you get. Just focus on the lecture guides she posts and you'll do fine.

Hey guys, I'm starting at HES in September. Anyone have any thoughts on taking Bio, Chem, and Physics at the same time? I am well aware of the perils of taking Chem and Bio at the same time, but would adding physics on top of that be impossible?

Thanks!

Bio is regarded as a 60 hour per week course from what I heard. Which dosn't sound possible but...

Bio is regarded as a 60 hour per week course from what I heard. Which dosn't sound possible but...

I'm assuming you mean bio during the summer. Bio during the year should not require nearly that amount of studying.

Hey guys, I'm starting at HES in September. Anyone have any thoughts on taking Bio, Chem, and Physics at the same time? I am well aware of the perils of taking Chem and Bio at the same time, but would adding physics on top of that be impossible?

Thanks!

Doable. Lots of people have done it and gotten through it just fine. The Chem required for Bio is minimal if Anderson is teaching it, so I wouldn't worry much about it.

As in the lecture videos? No, they aren't. But you don't really need to go to lecture. Everything is straight from the slides, which are posted. She never annotates the slides, so what you see is what you get. Just focus on the lecture guides she posts and you'll do fine.

Thanks for the responses!

I'm done with HES and moving away from Boston so I'm selling my mattress and bed frame. Both are in really good condition. I have a Craigslist post here: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fuo/4015300842.html

Anyone that's interested feel free to send me a private message.

Best of luck to everyone starting at HES in the coming weeks.

Maybe summer Bio. During fall/spring maybe 15-20 hours per week, less some weeks, more before finals. I found that spending more time studying did not correlate with performing better in the class.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!
I'm in the same boat as you taking all 3 this fall so if you're looking for someone to study with this semester let me know!

I'm in the same boat as you taking all 3 this fall so if you're looking for someone to study with this semester let me know!

Tough, but doable. On the weeks when you have more than one exam you're going to be hurting.

Are either of you planning on working full-time?

Tough, but doable. On the weeks when you have more than one exam you're going to be hurting.

I won't be. I'm a non-trad and have saved up enough money to be able to take the year off from working. I will probably try to volunteer a few days a week though if I can find a gig.

Hey, what are you recommend to take for the first year: biology or physics?
I am planing to register for two classes, chemistry and one of bio or physics. I did not take any college level classes in neither biology or physics. Also, I did not take any algebra classes at college level. I took just college level statistics (but I don't know how relevant it is for physics) and college level neurophysiology. I liked biology in high school, but when I saw the bio syllabus..... I just got anxious...
Any advice or opinion is welcomed.
Thank you.

I THINK I've changed my mind about adding physics into the mix (though I'm still registered for all three). I thought it would make my life easier down the road (finishing up physics and orgo while studying for the MCAT sounds hellish) but it's probably better than destroying my grades right off the bat.

In any case, I will definitely stick with chem and bio if I go with two ... it seems next to impossible to get in anything higher level without those two out of the way.

I THINK I've changed my mind about adding physics into the mix (though I'm still registered for all three). I thought it would make my life easier down the road (finishing up physics and orgo while studying for the MCAT sounds hellish) but it's probably better than destroying my grades right off the bat.

In any case, I will definitely stick with chem and bio if I go with two ... it seems next to impossible to get in anything higher level without those two out of the way.

Is there a reason you don't want to take Physics instead of Bio? Chem is strongly recommended (though not required) as a pre-req for Bio. I'm sure that some people do just fine without it, but I personally found Chem to be helpful with some of the concepts we learned in Bio--especially the first semester molecular topics.

The course schedule at Harvad Extension is designed for people to do Chem+Physics in the first year and Orgo+Bio in the second. Unless you have a specific reason not to do that (like having one of them done already or whatnot) it's probably best to follow that. The scheduling will be easier. It's possible to do other combinations but not really something to do just because.

Without work obligations three classes is completely doable. Many people are working full time + two classes, so no work + three classes is not a problem.

Hey, what are you recommend to take for the first year: biology or physics?
I am planing to register for two classes, chemistry and one of bio or physics. I did not take any college level classes in neither biology or physics. Also, I did not take any algebra classes at college level. I took just college level statistics (but I don't know how relevant it is for physics) and college level neurophysiology. I liked biology in high school, but when I saw the bio syllabus..... I just got anxious...
Any advice or opinion is welcomed.
Thank you.

Chem + Physics is recommended. If you're thinking of taking upper-level bio courses next summer I'd recommend Chem + Bio, but that's just me.

I would NOT start with three classes, unless you're fresh out of school and confident in your ability to handle a rigorous science courseload.

Physics + Orgo + MCAT studying may be rough though. Second semester physics is tested on the MCAT. Same with second semester Orgo.

Another option (if you're into it) is:
Fall 2013 - Physics/Chem
Spring 2014 - Physics/Chem
Summer 2014 - Bio
Fall 2014 - Orgo/Anatomy and Physiology
Spring - Orgo/Anatomy and Physiology and MCAT

A&P helped me big-time with the MCAT.

Physics + Orgo + MCAT studying may be rough though. Second semester physics is tested on the MCAT. Same with second semester Orgo.

I'll be doing Physics + Orgo + MCAT studying this year. What is the main reason you think this track would be rough compared to say Bio + Orgo + MCAT studying?

Chem + Physics is recommended. If you're thinking of taking upper-level bio courses next summer I'd recommend Chem + Bio, but that's just me.

I would NOT start with three classes, unless you're fresh out of school and confident in your ability to handle a rigorous science courseload.

Another option (if you're into it) is:
Fall 2013 - Physics/Chem
Spring 2014 - Physics/Chem
Summer 2014 - Bio
Fall 2014 - Orgo/Anatomy and Physiology
Spring - Orgo/Anatomy and Physiology and MCAT
A&P helped me big-time with the MCAT.

How much math prerequisites do you need foe physics? Can you acquire those math concepts consecutively with the physics ones? It is possible to refresh your math while you are already taking physics? I have no time to refresh my math now given the classes are starting next week; and I was planing to refresh my math in the next summer, thus I will be prepared for physics. I never liked physics in high school. I am just worried that without a strong and serious math refresh, I will be struggling with understand the physycs.

On the other hand, how many chemistry prerequisites do you need for first semester biology? I am thinking it would be easier acquiring the chemistry prerequisites consecutively with the biology, as I am already taking chemistry.
I am planing taking biochemistry next year.

I'll be doing Physics + Orgo + MCAT studying this year. What is the main reason you think this track would be rough compared to say Bio + Orgo + MCAT studying?

Two MCAT classes + MCAT studying, regardless of whether it's phyics/orgo or bio/orgo, is tough. There's simply too much material that you haven't covered yet. My recommendation would be at most one MCAT class + one upper-level elective while studying.

How much math prerequisites do you need foe physics? Can you acquire those math concepts consecutively with the physics ones? It is possible to refresh your math while you are already taking physics? I have no time to refresh my math now given the classes are starting next week; and I was planing to refresh my math in the next summer, thus I will be prepared for physics. I never liked physics in high school. I am just worried that without a strong and serious math refresh, I will be struggling with understand the physycs.

On the other hand, how many chemistry prerequisites do you need for first semester biology? I am thinking it would be easier acquiring the chemistry prerequisites consecutively with the biology, as I am already taking chemistry.
I am planing taking biochemistry next year.

Math - you NEED to be comfortable with trigonometry and solving a quadratic equation. Of these two concepts comfort with trigonometry is far more important. If you can't use your Sin/Cos/Tan rules for solving unknowns on a triangle you're going to be in trouble.

Biology - I don't remember Bio requiring all that much chemistry. It's been two years though, so things may have changed.

Two MCAT classes + MCAT studying, regardless of whether it's phyics/orgo or bio/orgo, is tough. There's simply too much material that you haven't covered yet. My recommendation would be at most one MCAT class + one upper-level elective while studying.

Math - you NEED to be comfortable with trigonometry and solving a quadratic equation. Of these two concepts comfort with trigonometry is far more important. If you can't use your Sin/Cos/Tan rules for solving unknowns on a triangle you're going to be in trouble.

Biology - I don't remember Bio requiring all that much chemistry. It's been two years though, so things may have changed.

I wouldn't say you need to remember the quadratic for physics. You need basic algebra skills--knowing how to manipulate an equation with variables to solve for a specific one. Trig, absolutely, you need to know the basics or you will be screwed.

Do you know the approximate date when you plan to take the MCAT?

I wouldn't say you need to remember the quadratic for physics. You need basic algebra skills--knowing how to manipulate an equation with variables to solve for a specific one. Trig, absolutely, you need to know the basics or you will be screwed.

As a teaching fellow I'd say that 75% of my section had issues solving problems that required use of the quadratic.

As a teaching fellow I'd say that 75% of my section had issues solving problems that required use of the quadratic.

I'm not surprised that 75% of your section would have problems solving questions using the quadratic, I'm surprised you think it's necessary for the class.

I remember exactly ONE question that required the quadratic on a single homework assignment. And that question was noted as unusual difficult and nothing like it was ever on the tests.

On the other hand, people struggled with trig over and over again week after week.

Maybe I'm misremembering what we did with kinematics.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised that 75% of your section would have problems solving questions using the quadratic, I'm surprised you think it's necessary for the class.

I remember exactly ONE question that required the quadratic on a single homework assignment. And that question was noted as unusual difficult and nothing like it was ever on the tests.

On the other hand, people struggled with trig over and over again week after week.

Maybe I'm misremembering what we did with kinematics.

Our fall exam #2 from two years ago required that you use the quadratic formula for one of the problems. Although it's not that common for it to show up, it does. The person asking the question regarding how much math is involved -- I would have to agree with the professor on this one and say that those that have better math backgrounds tend to do better in the class.

If you don't know simple trigonometry like soh-cah-toa then you need to quickly learn it before starting physics.

Our fall exam #2 from two years ago required that you use the quadratic formula for one of the problems. Although it's not that common for it to show up, it does. The person asking the question regarding how much math is involved -- I would have to agree with the professor on this one and say that those that have better math backgrounds tend to do better in the class.

If you don't know simple trigonometry like soh-cah-toa then you need to quickly learn it before starting physics.

I've never argued that a stronger math background doesn't make the class easier. That's the primary reason I don't quite trust my memory--I have a very good math background (far beyond what the class requires) and so some of the details go fuzzy if I didn't have problems with it.

I still think the uses of the quadratic in the class are limited in scope enough that it's quickly learnable, but if you don't have the good grounding in trig and basic equation manipulation you'll find yourself at sea over and over again. I think all the situations where you'd have to use the quadratic you can also solve the problem using a graphing calculator (which is allowed) but the graphing calculator won't tell you how to properly break down the vectors.

I've never argued that a stronger math background doesn't make the class easier. That's the primary reason I don't quite trust my memory--I have a very good math background (far beyond what the class requires) and so some of the details go fuzzy if I didn't have problems with it.

I still think the uses of the quadratic in the class are limited in scope enough that it's quickly learnable, but if you don't have the good grounding in trig and basic equation manipulation you'll find yourself at sea over and over again. I think all the situations where you'd have to use the quadratic you can also solve the problem using a graphing calculator (which is allowed) but the graphing calculator won't tell you how to properly break down the vectors.

Trig>>>>solid algebra>>advanced algebra

Without a solid trig foundation, you're dead in the water. Breaking down vectors into their constituent components is a recurrent strategy throughout both semesters.

Solid algebra is required for a wide-range of problems though.

If I had to give one subject precedence though it would be Trig.

Is anyone else taking a&p? Are you guys buying the two books on the syllabus? Does anyone know if the books are absolutely necessary for the class? I don't think I'm going to buy the biochem book.

Is anyone else taking a&p? Are you guys buying the two books on the syllabus? Does anyone know if the books are absolutely necessary for the class? I don't think I'm going to buy the biochem book.

Just a word of warning, I initially was going to make do without the biochem book (I had my sister's biochem textbook from another university, thought that would be fine since the book was listed as optional), regretted it, and ended up buying the book anyway. YMMV.

Just a word of warning, I initially was going to make do without the biochem book (I had my sister's biochem textbook from another university, thought that would be fine since the book was listed as optional), regretted it, and ended up buying the book anyway. YMMV.

Can you elaborate? Based on what another others have said almost everything (hw and exams) are based on the lecture notes. My plan was to google anything I needed more clarification on rather than look it up in the textbook. Not a good idea?

Can you elaborate? Based on what another others have said almost everything (hw and exams) are based on the lecture notes. My plan was to google anything I needed more clarification on rather than look it up in the textbook. Not a good idea?

It depends. It's workable, she draws a lot of figures and concepts STRAIGHT out of the book. I felt a lot more comfortable going straight to the source. Her powerpoints will have all the topics, yes, but sometimes there are weird holes or gaps in the information or logic...it's hard to describe. Her rigorous adherence to her outlines and topics means that outside sources aren't....efficient?

I just found the course to be a lot smoother once I had the actual textbook on hand. It's hilariously overkill considering the fairly limited scope of the course, but for the sections she addresses, it's better than scrounging across multiple sources.

It depends. It's workable, she draws a lot of figures and concepts STRAIGHT out of the book. I felt a lot more comfortable going straight to the source. Her powerpoints will have all the topics, yes, but sometimes there are weird holes or gaps in the information or logic...it's hard to describe. Her rigorous adherence to her outlines and topics means that outside sources aren't....efficient?

I just found the course to be a lot smoother once I had the actual textbook on hand. It's hilariously overkill considering the fairly limited scope of the course, but for the sections she addresses, it's better than scrounging across multiple sources.

I definitely see the benefit of having the book which the lecturer takes the visuals from (good example is having the unofficial official book this past semester in bio) so maybe I'll check to see if any of the libraries has the book before I buy it.

I didn't buy any of the books. I bought Netter's Anatomy Flashcards (which helped with the first semester) and then used Google and good lecture notes for everything else.

I didn't buy any of the books. I bought Netter's Anatomy Flashcards (which helped with the first semester) and then used Google and good lecture notes for everything else.

Okay great. thanks:thumbup:

Does anyone know where to look for a good chemistry tutor? I have been emailing people advertising on CL and done the obvious google searches, but everything is way way out of my price range. Like a days wages (for me) for a single hour of tutoring.

Does anyone know where to look for a good chemistry tutor? I have been emailing people advertising on CL and done the obvious google searches, but everything is way way out of my price range. Like a days wages (for me) for a single hour of tutoring.

Robert Cruickshank

I recommend this guy.

Trig>>>>solid algebra>>advanced algebra

Without a solid trig foundation, you're dead in the water. Breaking down vectors into their constituent components is a recurrent strategy throughout both semesters.

Solid algebra is required for a wide-range of problems though.

If I had to give one subject precedence though it would be Trig.

Also, on the website for the Physics course is posted a Math Review that is recommended for students to go through before starting the course. It's fairly long and not all of the concepts are critical for you to know/memorize, but it should give you a good idea of the kind of math skills that are required for you to do well in the course.

Thank all of you for taking your time answering me! I got really helpful inputs from you!

I have another inquiry regarding the lectures attendance. Are the lectures mandatory? I read some posts that implies the lectures are not mandatory (for physics). Is this applicable for other courses too (chem and bio)?

I had gotten in touch with him, however, he is well out of what I am able to pay. Even his group meetings are 50/hour I am a nontrad and do not have a ton of disoposable income. I would like to meet someone once per week.

Thank all of you for taking your time answering me! I got really helpful inputs from you!

I have another inquiry regarding the lectures attendance. Are the lectures mandatory? I read some posts that implies the lectures are not mandatory (for physics). Is this applicable for other courses too (chem and bio)?

A lot of physics exam questions are covered in lecture. I also found the demonstrations extremely helpful. My advice: read the chapter before lecture.

Biology: I remember attending every lecture except one. I'd recommend going

Chemistry: lectures are recorded, but you're going to want to go since the clicker questions in lecture can help boost pset grades. Out of the three, this is only only one that has some type of attendance check in place.

Attending/watching lectures is never mandatory.

Yeah it's about your personal learning style. The approach that worked best for me in Biology, Chem, and OChem, was to watch the recorded lectures at my own convenience. The major benefits are being able to rewind or pause and look something up if you don't understand it (one of Dr. Roehrig's 3 hour bio lectures would sometimes take me 4-5 hours to watch, because she goes quickly), and being able to put off a Bio lecture to study for an OChem exam, for example. I found that when I attended lectures I would retain about 10% when it came time to study for the tests, but with very engaged watching of the recorded lecture I could up that to more like 50-75%. Again it depends on your style. I also heard about being able to watch the lectures at 1.5 speed, which I would have loved to do, but didn't hear about this until the very end.

For physics, attending lecture vs. watching the recording didn't provide much of a difference for me. I would recommend attending when you can, and not stressing out if you have to miss a few.

Also, if you have a long commute to work each day, play the lectures in your car or on your headphones. I was really struggling with Bio, and it might sound crazy, but a lot of the 2nd semester lectures I listened to 2 or 3 times. I learned something each time and became more and more familiar with the stuff that I already knew.

I had gotten in touch with him, however, he is well out of what I am able to pay. Even his group meetings are 50/hour I am a nontrad and do not have a ton of disoposable income. I would like to meet someone once per week.
He does do group "lectures" on Sundays for 20$ for 2 hours (maybe 3? Can't remember) for Physics, which I basically treated as the weekly lecture. I'm not sure if he does this for Chemistry as well, he may. But, if you're taking Physics, I found these sessions to be incredibly helpful and I highly recommend them. His rates, relatively speaking, are quite reasonable and I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone of his quality for less. In fact, I'd say most are likely to be much more expensive, and not as good. If a few people in your Chemistry class are interested, I'm sure he'd be willing to do a similar weekly Chemistry session (if he doesn't already).

He does do group "lectures" on Sundays for 20$ for 2 hours (maybe 3? Can't remember) for Physics, which I basically treated as the weekly lecture. I'm not sure if he does this for Chemistry as well, he may. But, if you're taking Physics, I found these sessions to be incredibly helpful and I highly recommend them. His rates, relatively speaking, are quite reasonable and I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone of his quality for less. In fact, I'd say most are likely to be much more expensive, and not as good. If a few people in your Chemistry class are interested, I'm sure he'd be willing to do a similar weekly Chemistry session (if he doesn't already).

I agree. 50/hour is quite reasonable for this area, considering you're in a college town where there are lots of students willing to pay out the nose for personal tutoring. He does hold review lectures for physics and started doing them for gen chem for a cheaper rate. You'll be hard-pressed trying to find someone of that quality for a cheaper price.

Do you know the approximate date when you plan to take the MCAT?

Good question. I'm thinking late May or June. I'll be leaving my job in the winter, so hopefully this will afford me enough time to study for the MCAT and take the two classes with some light volunteering on the side. I'm thinking it's essential to leverage my winter vacation to either get a leg up in physics 2 and orgo 2 or begin an MCAT study regiment. Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated!

I know this won't be easy, but it's not like people haven't done this before.