Official Harvard Extension 2013 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi HES-ers!

I am getting ready to move out of my apartment and am selling the textbooks for Physics and Orgo, along with NOVA Physics (good for MCAT studying) and the complete Berkeley Review and Princeton Review MCAT set of books. PM me if you are interested!

-oshkoro

Members don't see this ad.

Has any one taken proteomics or pathophysiology? I'm haven't taken A&P, which is recommended for path, however the commute would be easier. I was leaning towards proteomics because it's related to my work but reading some professor reviews it seems the course may not be taught very well. Any more recent, first hand experience in either of these courses? Or good experiences in other courses in the fall not including biochem?

Hey guys, now that everyone's getting ready to start classes, I thought it'd be a good idea to see who's taking what courses and see if we can setup a support structure for each other. If that sounds good to you, go ahead and post what courses you're taking this Fall. If all goes well, we can do this in the Spring as well. Maybe we'll make some friends along the way too!

Here are my courses:

1) Viruses: Molecular Machines Persisting at the Boundaries of Life
2) Neurobiology
3) Comparative Anatomy and Physiology of Vertebrates

Thanks guys, hope everyone does well and has some fun while they're at it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone selling Physics or Chemistry E-1a books? Feel free to PM me.

Was bios e-10 biochemistry always 4 credits? I thought it was 3 credits? The course is now 4 credits and I'm curious as to why... structure seems to be the same as previous years, 2 hour weekly lecture with no labs and optional sections.. :confused:

Took proteomics with Alan Veil Fall '11. Class is reasonably easy conceptually and Veil is a pretty nice guy. All testable material is based off lectures. The exams are really long and tough to finish in the allotted time, but the class curve accounts for it. Definitely manageable to get an A

Was bios e-10 biochemistry always 4 credits? I thought it was 3 credits? The course is now 4 credits and I'm curious as to why... structure seems to be the same as previous years, 2 hour weekly lecture with no labs and optional sections.. :confused:

It was 4 credits when I took it. I thought all classes at HES were 4 credits. Even my intro psych class was 4 credits.

It was 4 credits when I took it. I thought all classes at HES were 4 credits. Even my intro psych class was 4 credits.

Ohh I guess I remember wrong then... it's weird how biochem is only a two hour lecture a week and it's the same amount of credits as the other classes with 3-4 hours of lecture a week and labs on top of that.

Looked at your mdapps profile, looking pretty good so far huh :cool:

Hey all, quick update - if any of you are still looking for phys 1a books let me know I'm selling mine from last year PLUS an extra physics solution manual, it shows step by step all of the work/logic to some(not all) of the book qs, extremely helpful esp. for those psets! If anyone is interested just pm me! I'll give both books for $40!

Does anyone know where to look for a good chemistry tutor? I have been emailing people advertising on CL and done the obvious google searches, but everything is way way out of my price range. Like a days wages (for me) for a single hour of tutoring.

Hello,

If anyone is looking for a chemistry or physics tutor, I can help you. My name is Eric and I finished the HCP last year. I come from a non-traditional (film studies) background, earned a high A in every single premed course at Harvard, and scored in the 98th percentile on the MCAT.

This year, I will be conducting online tutoring through interactive whiteboard sessions (similar to khan academy). I will be holding weekly reviews for both chemistry and physics. My rate is $25 per 2-hour session.

Simply put, I am the best tutor available, and I offer the most affordable rates. While I don't mean to sound cocky, most of my students come to me after being dissatisfied with other tutors, and I have never had even a single student decide to not continue with me after a first session. If you are interested in my help, feel free to email, text, or even call me; and I will send you more information.

I take great satisfaction from watching my tutees do well, and I can guarantee you will be satisfied with what I have to offer. Best of luck to everyone beginning their premed journey this year!

-Eric
909-973-7457
[email protected]

Ohh I guess I remember wrong then... it's weird how biochem is only a two hour lecture a week and it's the same amount of credits as the other classes with 3-4 hours of lecture a week and labs on top of that.

Looked at your mdapps profile, looking pretty good so far huh :cool:

So far, yes, but it's early. I imagine at least half of those schools will ultimately reject me. I do feel confident about getting into at least one, though, so there's that.

For those who took Ochem with Sirinya, how much value did you find in reading the Jones text before lecture?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who took Ochem with Sirinya, how much value did you find in reading the Jones text before lecture?

I never purchased the textbook, so I can't comment on that specifically. But I know that if I hadn't read Orgo as a Second Language before each lecture, I would've been completely lost in class. She tends to rush through her slides. One of my favorite quotes of hers, in response to many student questions: "It's a long story - just memorize it." Or something to that effect. I would definitely recommend coming prepared, using whatever it is that works for you.

I never purchased the textbook, so I can't comment on that specifically. But I know that if I hadn't read Orgo as a Second Language before each lecture, I would've been completely lost in class. She tends to rush through her slides. One of my favorite quotes of hers, in response to many student questions: "It's a long story - just memorize it." Or something to that effect. I would definitely recommend coming prepared, using whatever it is that works for you.

Kind of funny how the first paragraph of Orgo as a Second Language says not to play the memorization game. Anyway, thanks. I worked through a good chunk of Orgo as a Second Language over the summer and definitely plan to use it throughout the semester.

Kind of funny how the first paragraph of Orgo as a Second Language says not to play the memorization game. Anyway, thanks. I worked through a good chunk of Orgo as a Second Language over the summer and definitely plan to use it throughout the semester.

Wish I would've done what Sciengee did and not purchase the book, would've saved me a lot of money. Good luck in orgo!!!! :thumbup:

Do not purchase the Orgo textbook. Won't need it.

I agree. I didn't touch the textbook for either semester of orgo.

The lecture and review slides are well laid out and contain everything you need to know. Between that and the practice problems and practice exams you don't really need anything else.

You will be memorizing in orgo, there's no if's ands or buts about it.

Hey all,

My background is in the humanities: bachelors and masters in comparative religion, and I am taking Chem and Phys this fall. I've been doing some reading about the 2015 MCAT, and I'm wondering - do I have to do an extra year of pre-reqs before even taking the MCAT? Aka, is the new HCP sequence going to be

Year 1: Chem and Physics
Year 2: Orgo and Bio
Year 3: Biochem, Sociology, and Psychology
Year 4: Glide year, applicaiton time

If so I'm officially pissed. I could get a whole other bachelors or masters degree in that time! 8 years for an MD is crazy. Is there no way that the pre-reqs could be over in 2 years like they were before instead of 3? Do I actually have to take sociology and/or psych?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Hey all,

My background is in the humanities: bachelors and masters in comparative religion, and I am taking Chem and Phys this fall. I've been doing some reading about the 2015 MCAT, and I'm wondering - do I have to do an extra year of pre-reqs before even taking the MCAT? Aka, is the new HCP sequence going to be

If so I'm officially pissed. I could get a whole other bachelors or masters degree in that time! 8 years for an MD is crazy. Is there no way that the pre-reqs could be over in 2 years like they were before instead of 3? Do I actually have to take sociology and/or psych?

I'm not sure what the new recommended sequence would look like, but you can definitely cut down the number of years spent doing your post-bacc by taking summer classes and/or taking more than 2 classes each semester/year. For example, you could do something like this:

Summer before Year 1: Chem
Year 1: Physics and Bio
Summer before Year 2: Orgo
Year 2: Biochem, Sociology, and Psychology
Year 3: Glide Year

OR

Year 1: Chem, Physics and Bio
Summer before Year 2: Orgo
Year 2: Biochem, Sociology, and Psychology

That way it would still be a two-year post-bacc plus the glide year. Hope this helps!

Hey all,

Put socio and psych into your summer (probably will need to do away from Harvard, bc of the summer schedule). They aren't lab classes so you can probably do them online somewhere.

Then put biochem in your glide year. Now you're back to two years.

However, this assumes you don't need your math prereqs.

Hey all,

Psych is easy. I took it with Bio and Orgo with no problem. I imagine sociology will be too. You could take them during the summer. I'd probably do something like:
Summer1: Chem
Year1: Bio, Orgo, Physics
Summer2: Try getting a research/scribing job and start saving up money/paying off loans
Year2:, Biochem, Psych, Sociology, other classes schools you're interested in require (some want statistics or calculus, or some additional upper level bio course), MCAT
Year3: Application year and try to save up as much money as possible/pay down some debt (tough to do if you go on a lot of far away interviews)

Throughout this time you'd be doing a little volunteering/shadowing/research for free (unless you get a job doing research).
Orgo during the summer sounds ridiculous, as would doing Physics during the summer or Bio with Fixsen over the summer.

Physics + Orgo + MCAT studying may be rough though. Second semester physics is tested on the MCAT. Same with second semester Orgo.

I would assume second semester bio is also tested though? And the path recommended on the web site is chem + physics in year 1 and bio + orgo in year 2. So either way you're going to be taking the second semester of an MCAT class while studying for/taking the MCAT.

I would assume second semester bio is also tested though? And the path recommended on the web site is chem + physics in year 1 and bio + orgo in year 2. So either way you're going to be taking the second semester of an MCAT class while studying for/taking the MCAT.

Yes. Definitely not ideal, but you have no other choice, if you want to apply that year and apply early.

If anyone is interested in purchasing the physics textbook and or solutions manual I'm selling both for $120 OBO. Also selling them individually.

I can also share tips on how to do well in the class whether or not you're interested in the books or not. Send me a message.

Last edited:
Hey all,

Since you're already doing Chem and Physics this year, I wouldn't change that, but try to get some research experience this year if that's all you're doing.

I tend to agree with SN12357,but might do Biochem before the MCAT

If you wanted to bang out Biochem, Soc, and Psych over the summer, this is probably doable at Northeastern (NEU) since they break their summer into three parts. As crazy as this might sound, I think you could do research over the summer and take all three of those classes if you venture outside of HES. Even two courses in one third of the summer should be doable at NEU. Also, look at UMass Bos as they tend to have evening classes.The biggest drawback to this approach is you're still going to have to take Bio and Orgo while studying for a more complicated and nuanced MCAT.

An alternative which nobody has suggested is

Year 1: Chem, Physics, and Psychology (add this for fall or spring)
Summer before Year 2: Biology
Year 2: Biochem (fall), Sociology (Fall), Orgo (fall and spring), MCAT prep (spring)

This will allow you to have an "easy" spring 2 semester, prepping for the MCAT with only one prereq, while avoiding an insanely difficult year 1.

Also, if you wanted to do research over the summer, take summer Bio at NEU or UMass or other four year reputable where it is likely to be a lot less time consuming and meet only in the evening.

Note in general the courses there will not prepare you as well for the MCAT. I've heard Bio at NEU is kind of a joke, but I really don't think adcoms care if you take it there provided you get an A. In order of favorability, I would say Harvard, Tufts and BU > NEU and Umass Boston because of medical school affiliation, but NEU is ranked in top 50 for ugrad, and Umass Boston used to have a post bacc program. Don't rule either out.

And as far as I know there is no longer a Diploma from HCP which says you must take all courses at Harvard.

Overall, you have lots of options!

Last edited:
Note in general the courses there will not prepare you as well for the MCAT. I've heard Bio at NEU is kind of a joke, but I really don't think adcoms care if you take it there provided you get an A. In order of favorability, I would say Harvard, Tufts and BU > NEU and Umass Boston because of medical school affiliation, but NEU is ranked in top 50 for ugrad, and Umass Boston used to have a post bacc program. Don't rule either out.

And as far as I know there is no longer a Diploma from HCP which says you must take all courses at Harvard.

Overall, you have lots of options!

This is all very true. The NEU classes are much, much easier than Harvard Extension classes in both my experience and the experience of several people I know. They are also, weirdly enough, much more expensive per credit. However, their summer schedule works for people working full time 9-5s, whereas Harvard's summer schedule does not.

If you decide to go outside Harvard Extension for classes, I recommend keeping it to ones that you can self-study the easiest for the MCAT, namely bio, probably psych and socio, etc.

Gen Chem, Orgo, and Physics at Harvard Extension are superb prep for the MCAT and so have a lot of value even if it is more work to get the A. IMO intro bio is less conceptually difficult (although it is a lot to remember), and so the easiest of the four basic sciences to learn by yourself.

I also know someone who took their prereqs at UMass Boston and got into medical school just fine. They reported a similar level of difficulty as at NEU.

Interested in these items for Orgo:
lab glasses
Organic Chem Lab Survival Manual
model kit
click

If you're selling any of these, message me. Thanks.

Hey everyone! Hope the start of the semester is going smooth for everyone. My girlfriend and I are taking the big test this Wednesday (me) and Thursday (her) at prometric on Comm. Ave. We have a couple questions for those that have already taken it, if you don't mind spending a few minutes to answer them.

1) I'm registered to take it at 8am and she's taking it at 1pm. I've heard of people getting to the testing site 30 minutes before the scheduled time and having to wait over an hour to be processed and finally start taking it. How long before our scheduled times should we arrive at this particular site (Comm. Ave)??? Did you guys have to wait long to finally get started?

2) What is the locker/bathroom situation like there? I think I read that they provide lockers there, do we need to bring our own padlocks? Also, are the 10 minute breaks sufficient time to use the bathroom and go into your locker for a quick snack? I'm worried I'll be rushed and having to wait in line will eat up my whole 10 minute break.

Thanks all!!! :thumbup:

Hey everyone! Hope the start of the semester is going smooth for everyone. My girlfriend and I are taking the big test this Wednesday (me) and Thursday (her) at prometric on Comm. Ave. We have a couple questions for those that have already taken it, if you don't mind spending a few minutes to answer them.

1) I'm registered to take it at 8am and she's taking it at 1pm. I've heard of people getting to the testing site 30 minutes before the scheduled time and having to wait over an hour to be processed and finally start taking it. How long before our scheduled times should we arrive at this particular site (Comm. Ave)??? Did you guys have to wait long to finally get started?

2) What is the locker/bathroom situation like there? I think I read that they provide lockers there, do we need to bring our own padlocks? Also, are the 10 minute breaks sufficient time to use the bathroom and go into your locker for a quick snack? I'm worried I'll be rushed and having to wait in line will eat up my whole 10 minute break.

1. I didn't take mine at that location so can't comment on it, but at my location if you arrived early you could start as early as 30 min before your scheduled start time, so I know that's possible.

2. Call the testing center to ask about the lockers, if you don't hear from anyone on these boards with an answer. Most pro metric locations have lockers with built in locks and you will be given a key. Unless I'm mistaken, don't count on eating a snack during the 10 min break, because I don't think you have access to your locker until after the test. 10 min should be sufficient for the bathroom, but I can't comment on that location for sure, sorry.

You shouldn't need to worry about lines at the bathroom. They start people individually, so since everyone starts at slightly different times and works at their own pace the breaks don't line up. I don't remember if you can go to your locker between breaks.

Last edited:
A few people messaged me on how to do well in physics so going to just post this here. Everyone obviously has their own way of doing things but this is how I got As both semesters and physics isn't something I thought I'd be good at.

-Form a study group (can't stress this enough) to go over weekly hw problems before they're due. Even if you understand something, it helps to express it in words to others in addition to being able to ask others about questions you have.

-Read the chapters (some people are lucky enough to just skip to the problems but I found them helpful) and do the example problems in the middle of them. Some are unnecessarily tricky so don't shoot yourself in the foot if you don't get it.

-Go to help room to find out how to solve the hw problems your study group didn't get or other questions you have. You'll meet helpful TFs and get to discuss with other students.

-Make your crib sheet/equation list as you read through the chapter. There will be many of equations, don't worry about making a sloppy crib sheet, you can always recopy everything neater before the exams.

-Do the practice problems, ideally before the hw problems. Some are tedious but they're helpful and it's good to see examples.

-Not sure how many other people did this but before each midterm I reread each chapter one by one and then redid the practice problems and hw problems right after. It really helped solidify the material for me. By doing this, when finals came, I didn't have to reread the chapter since I had already read it at least twice (first time around and when studying for midterms) and I was able to focus on just problems.

-Go to Doug's reviews. His long problems tend to be harder than the exam problems but he does have multiple choice questions that are very informative and at least one always show up on the exam.

-Take all the past exams ideally not more than a week before the exam. Some people suggest taking them timed as you would a real exam but I didn't always have time for this. The multiple choice questions can really test your understanding of the material.

-When redoing practice/hw problems while studying or when taking past exams, make note of each one you miss and try and redo them.

-When studying for the exams, don't spend too much time redoing the problems with very long algebraic solutions. Understand how they were solved, but chances are these types of problems won't be on an exam.

-Use other resources. I used Khan academy and other sites to help understand some concepts that I didn't fully get from the book or Reukner.

-Find a TF whose teaching style you like and go to his/her section instead of your assigned section.
The TF I went to last year always had a packed class and at least half of the students were not in his section.

Hope that helps. Again, find what works for you. Good luck!

Last edited:

As others have mentioned, you won't really need to worry about bathroom lines. However, at my location, they had me go through a metal detector and fingerprinted me each time I stepped in and out of the test room. So that took a few minutes each time. You won't really have time for a snack during the 10 minute breaks. My test center provided locker keys.
Good luck tomorrow! :luck:

A few people messaged me on how to do well in physics so going to just post this here. Everyone obviously has their own way of doing things but this is how I got As both semesters and physics isn’t something I thought I’d be good at.

-Form a study group (can’t stress this enough) to go over weekly hw problems before they’re due. Even if you understand something, it helps to express it in words to others in addition to being able to ask others about questions you have.

-Read the chapters (some people are lucky enough to just skip to the problems but I found them helpful) and do the example problems in the middle of them. Some are unnecessarily tricky so don’t shoot yourself in the foot if you don’t get it.

-Go to help room to find out how to solve the hw problems your study group didn’t get or other questions you have. You’ll meet helpful TFs and get to discuss with other students.

-Make your crib sheet/equation list as you read through the chapter. There will be many of equations, don’t worry about making a sloppy crib sheet, you can always recopy everything neater before the exams.

-Do the practice problems, ideally before the hw problems. Some are tedious but they’re helpful and it’s good to see examples.

-Not sure how many other people did this but before each midterm I reread each chapter one by one and then redid the practice problems and hw problems right after. It really helped solidify the material for me. By doing this, when finals came, I didn’t have to reread the chapter since I had already read it at least twice (first time around and when studying for midterms) and I was able to focus on just problems.

-Go to Doug’s reviews. His long problems tend to be harder than the exam problems but he does have multiple choice questions that are very informative and at least one always show up on the exam.

-Take all the past exams ideally not more than a week before the exam. Some people suggest taking them timed as you would a real exam but I didn’t always have time for this. The multiple choice questions can really test your understanding of the material.

-When redoing practice/hw problems while studying or when taking past exams, make note of each one you miss and try and redo them.

-When studying for the exams, don’t spend too much time redoing the problems with very long algebraic solutions. Understand how they were solved, but chances are these types of problems won’t be on an exam.

-Use other resources. I used Khan academy and other sites to help understand some concepts that I didn’t fully get from the book or Reukner.

-Find a TF whose teaching style you like and go to his/her section instead of your assigned section.
The TF I went to last year always had a packed class and at least half of the students were not in his section.

Hope that helps. Again, find what works for you. Good luck!
Thanks for the great advice. I would add strictly based on today's lecture, if Doug bets $5 that something will land in a coffee cup, DO NOT trust him. For those who didn't see it, Ruekner accidentally destroyed a nice Apple computer in his Curious George demo tonight and blamed it on Doug. :eek: Probably the funniest thing I've seen so far at HES. I also appreciated the animal rights jokes Ruekner made about Curious George. This class is already so much more PG-13 than Tucci's.

If any of you are not sold on your physics TF feel free to attend my section at 4 PM on Tues. in room 119 at 51 Brattle Street.

Also, Spago did a dynamite job of outlining the class.

My general tips:

Read the chapter before attending lecture

After lecture, return to the chapter and attempt the intra-chapter problems

Once you’ve finished the intra-chapter problems you should begin the problem set. Ideally you should start the problem set over the weekend. They can get tricky and the last thing you want to do is spend your Weds. night slugging away at a problem set

Attend section. If you don’t like my teaching style attend another section. Students who do not attend section DO NOT do as well as those who do.

Work out problem set problems in the help room. Attend either my hours or another TF’s hours. I am also willing to answer problem set questions towards the end of section

When studying for exams: redo the problem sets and take all practice examination under realistic testing conditions. Remember, you’re allowed a cheat sheet on exams. I’ll go into test taking strategy in more detail when the first examination approaches. In short: do not try to cram for the exams. They are difficult and will kick your butt if you are not thoroughly prepared.

Finally, do not forget, you’re going to need to know this for the MCAT. We WILL prepare you for the MCAT.

Finally, do not forget, you’re going to need to know this for the MCAT. We WILL prepare you for the MCAT.

This is so true. If you skimp on classwork you might be able to skate by but you're just screwing yourself over because you'll have to study more for the MCAT.

If you're diligent in class the amount of studying you need to do for the MCAT decreases precipitously.

Just to add to all the good advice already, my advice is don't let math be your limiting factor. If you feel slow and limited because you're stumbling over the algebra aspects of the physics problems, go do some independent algebra review. Same for trig. You don't want these easily practicable things to get in the way of understanding the physics concepts.

Anyone have tips for doing well in Orgo?

Besides physics, orgo was my favorite class in the pre-reqs. The class really tests your problem solving skills and if you can do reasonably well in the class you will be all set to tackle to orgo on the MCAT. I don't know how others prepared for the class but I can tell you how I approached it.

First off, you're going to come across a lot of reactions, a whole lot of reactions in the class so expect it and embrace it. The course instructor(s) and TFs will advise that you make a reaction sheet (maybe later on in the course when you start learning more reactions) that lists ALL of the reactions and stereochemical/regiochemical outcomes, reagents etc etc. I might have been in the minority but I did not make a reaction list in either semester. I memorized the reactions by doing problem after problem and really internalizing them without having to rely on a reaction master key as crutch, which you will not be able to use on exams, unlike physics. Months after the class I can still remember a whole lot of reactions and curved-arrow mechanisms because I tried my best to internalize them with minimal rote-memorization. Remember back in physics -- even though you had all of the equations handy, everyone did, but everyone didn't do well because they didn't understand how to use the equations. It's the same with orgo, you need to understand what's going on.

Put away the textbook and spend your time doing problems. Here are some things I did on a weekly basis and to prepare for exams:

After Thursday's lecture, on Friday/Saturday/Sunday I would attempt all of the practice problems (all 20 pages of them) while using the annotated lecture notes. I got many of the problems wrong in my first pass. But it was important to me to at least attempt them by the end of the weekend.
I don't know if the new head TF does this, but the previous head TF used to post the blank lecture slides for Monday review around 2pm or so; I would try to solve all of the problems BEFORE going to Monday review. A lot of the time I would get the problems wrong because I missed a tricky step or I just plain didn't understand it. I found that if I attempted the problems before going to review I would pick up on the little tricks that are really important.

By the time Tuesday/Wednesday section comes, I would be relatively prepared to tackle the problems and do the homework. The p-sets in orgo were extremely difficult for me and I would say I needed to collaborate/get help to do all of the problem sets. Some of the problems in the p-set are straight up way above exam-level status. The box problems in p-sets are very, very good though.

For exams -- I would start preparing very early. Right after the lecture that covered the last lecture that was gonna be on the exam. Usually this means starting to prepare for exams 2 weeks before the exam.
First I would re-print blank lecture slides for all of the lectures on the exam and I would attempt every box problem, curved arrow mechanism and synthesis that the professor did in class. I wouldn't use the annotated lecture notes to do them, if I couldn't do them on my own I marked that I got it wrong on my error log.
After re-doing the lecture problems I would re-do all of the pertinent practice problems, marking every problem I got wrong on my error log. After re-doing the practice problems I would re-do all of the Monday review problems. After re-doing all of the Monday review problems I re-did all of the problem sets.
By this time, after re-doing every assigned problem for the first time I racked up a ton of problems that I got wrong. I would attempt the problems a second time while checking off problems that I got right, then I would go through my list a third time and hopefully by the third pass I would have gotten all of the problems right on my own without notes.
Finally after doing the assigned problems, I would do the practice exams last (usually starting 2-3 days before the exam). In the last few days I would just focus on the exams. I would re-do them and re-do them until they became second nature to me. There were practice exams where I would get 90+ (I scored myself, probably too generously) the first time around but I would re-do the whole exam until I internalized the concepts. I remember some practice exams I would get 95+ after the second pass I would re-do it a third time so I would get all of the problems correct. I re-did problems over and over up to the point where on the actual exam I would see a problem and I would immediately "see" what the trick was even though it was a completely different problem -- the underlying concept was there and I would immediately catch it, it's a very rewarding feeling being able to see a multi-step synthesis in a matter of seconds.

I don't know how much time you have to commit to the class but this is what I did on a weekly basis and it worked for me. I probably went over-board but I have no regrets. Everyone studies for orgo differently and as cliche as it is -- you need to figure out what works for you.

Best of luck to you in Orgo. It's gonna be quite a ride :D

Besides physics, orgo was my favorite class in the pre-reqs. The class really tests your problem solving skills and if you can do reasonably well in the class you will be all set to tackle to orgo on the MCAT. I don't know how others prepared for the class but I can tell you how I approached it.

First off, you're going to come across a lot of reactions, a whole lot of reactions in the class so expect it and embrace it. The course instructor(s) and TFs will advise that you make a reaction sheet (maybe later on in the course when you start learning more reactions) that lists ALL of the reactions and stereochemical/regiochemical outcomes, reagents etc etc. I might have been in the minority but I did not make a reaction list in either semester. I memorized the reactions by doing problem after problem and really internalizing them without having to rely on a reaction master key as crutch, which you will not be able to use on exams, unlike physics. Months after the class I can still remember a whole lot of reactions and curved-arrow mechanisms because I tried my best to internalize them with minimal rote-memorization. Remember back in physics -- even though you had all of the equations handy, everyone did, but everyone didn't do well because they didn't understand how to use the equations. It's the same with orgo, you need to understand what's going on.

Put away the textbook and spend your time doing problems. Here are some things I did on a weekly basis and to prepare for exams:

After Thursday's lecture, on Friday/Saturday/Sunday I would attempt all of the practice problems (all 20 pages of them) while using the annotated lecture notes. I got many of the problems wrong in my first pass. But it was important to me to at least attempt them by the end of the weekend.
I don't know if the new head TF does this, but the previous head TF used to post the blank lecture slides for Monday review around 2pm or so; I would try to solve all of the problems BEFORE going to Monday review. A lot of the time I would get the problems wrong because I missed a tricky step or I just plain didn't understand it. I found that if I attempted the problems before going to review I would pick up on the little tricks that are really important.

By the time Tuesday/Wednesday section comes, I would be relatively prepared to tackle the problems and do the homework. The p-sets in orgo were extremely difficult for me and I would say I needed to collaborate/get help to do all of the problem sets. Some of the problems in the p-set are straight up way above exam-level status. The box problems in p-sets are very, very good though.

For exams -- I would start preparing very early. Right after the lecture that covered the last lecture that was gonna be on the exam. Usually this means starting to prepare for exams 2 weeks before the exam.
First I would re-print blank lecture slides for all of the lectures on the exam and I would attempt every box problem, curved arrow mechanism and synthesis that the professor did in class. I wouldn't use the annotated lecture notes to do them, if I couldn't do them on my own I marked that I got it wrong on my error log.
After re-doing the lecture problems I would re-do all of the pertinent practice problems, marking every problem I got wrong on my error log. After re-doing the practice problems I would re-do all of the Monday review problems. After re-doing all of the Monday review problems I re-did all of the problem sets.
By this time, after re-doing every assigned problem for the first time I racked up a ton of problems that I got wrong. I would attempt the problems a second time while checking off problems that I got right, then I would go through my list a third time and hopefully by the third pass I would have gotten all of the problems right on my own without notes.
Finally after doing the assigned problems, I would do the practice exams last (usually starting 2-3 days before the exam). In the last few days I would just focus on the exams. I would re-do them and re-do them until they became second nature to me. There were practice exams where I would get 90+ (I scored myself, probably too generously) the first time around but I would re-do the whole exam until I internalized the concepts. I remember some practice exams I would get 95+ after the second pass I would re-do it a third time so I would get all of the problems correct. I re-did problems over and over up to the point where on the actual exam I would see a problem and I would immediately "see" what the trick was even though it was a completely different problem -- the underlying concept was there and I would immediately catch it, it's a very rewarding feeling being able to see a multi-step synthesis in a matter of seconds.

I don't know how much time you have to commit to the class but this is what I did on a weekly basis and it worked for me. I probably went over-board but I have no regrets. Everyone studies for orgo differently and as cliche as it is -- you need to figure out what works for you.

Best of luck to you in Orgo. It's gonna be quite a ride :D

Thanks for posting this. I get the sense that a lot of folks in Orgo, myself included, haven't figured out the best way to study yet. It is somewhat reassuring to hear that you thought the PSETs were tough, but still managed to do well on exams.

Thanks for posting this. I get the sense that a lot of folks in Orgo, myself included, haven't figured out the best way to study yet. It is somewhat reassuring to hear that you thought the PSETs were tough, but still managed to do well on exams.

I echo most of the advice above. Orgo is about diligence. Do ALL the practice problems. Attempt the pset before section, go to review, go to section, go to office hours with your questions, stay on top of things. I did make flashcards to drill the reactions, but that was supplementary to all the practice. Don't fall behind or expect to be able to study last minute. You can't.

The practice tests are a fair representation of the actual exams, so make sure you are confident on them.

After this week I can confidently say that doing chem and physics while taking a fill time job is not erally feasable if you have to commute.

Anyone have tips for doing well in Orgo?

My Orgo story. First semester: Exam 1: 82. Midterm: 70. Final grade: A-. I missed the A cutoff by next-to-nothing. I had check plusses on every pset after the midterm and scored a 96 on the third midterm and a 96 on the final.

What I did differently in the second half of the class.

Fri/sat/sun were spent doing every possible practice problem. I would check my answers, mark the ones I got incorrect and really try to figure out where I screwed up. I would review every single incorrect answer with Brandon (since he offered appointments). The trick was using each incorrect problem as a chance to learn something new. You don't master material by breezing through it; you master it by grinding your way through problem after problem.

sun/mon/tues I would start the problem set, do the monday review problems and review them and attend section. Do not skip section. It's a great opportunity to learn helpful tips and tricks.

Work through the problem set on your own before comparing answers. I think that working through psets in a group, regardless of which class it's for, is a mistake. Do them on your own first.

Exam preparation
-redo all of the problem sets
-redo all of the practice problems
-redo all of the section problems
-do all of the practice exams under realistic conditions

Remember, orgo isn't a true science. It's a mix of science and a language. You cannot brute force memorize your way through this class like you can with biology, but it's not just strict problem solving like physics and chem. You will need to learn new ways to study.

Also, re-read the FOMO handout 2 or 3 times. The sooner you realize that everything boils down to HOMO/LUMO, the better.

Great advice, thanks to everyone for the helpful tips on Orgo!

Hey guys,

For those of you who have taken bios e1a (bio1) lab, do you have any recommendations for the lab write-ups? Is the grading very stringent? Is there anything you would suggest we keep in mind as far as labels and answering the questions?

Thanks a bunch!

Hey guys,

For those of you who have taken bios e1a (bio1) lab, do you have any recommendations for the lab write-ups? Is the grading very stringent? Is there anything you would suggest we keep in mind as far as labels and answering the questions?

Thanks a bunch!

The grading is very stringent. If anything is remotely unclear, I would email your TF ahead of turning in the lab. My lab TF was actually very helpful. You can use the discussion forum too.

Note in particular the lac operon lab report contains one super tricky and poorly worded question that most people got wrong. I think it was #7. You should ask as many TFs/teaching staff as possible about that question or ask for help here.

The grading is very stringent. If anything is remotely unclear, I would email your TF ahead of turning in the lab. My lab TF was actually very helpful. You can use the discussion forum too.

Note in particular the lac operon lab report contains one super tricky and poorly worded question that most people got wrong. I think it was #7. You should ask as many TFs/teaching staff as possible about that question or ask for help here.

Yep, grading is very strict so be very meticulous in your formatting. They might have loosened up but last year I got a point off on one of my write-ups because I called my table Table 1 instead of Figure 1, or something like that, can't remember to be honest, might be the other way around but do follow their guidelines to a T. And yes, that lac operon lab was my lowest lab grade out of all of them.

Yep, grading is very strict so be very meticulous in your formatting. They might have loosened up but last year I got a point off on one of my write-ups because I called my table Table 1 instead of Figure 1, or something like that, can't remember to be honest, might be the other way around but do follow their guidelines to a T. And yes, that lac operon lab was my lowest lab grade out of all of them.
Thank you for the heads up! I guess we'll see how the grading is when we get the labs back!

Anybody have any tips on how to approach A&P exams? We have our first exam next monday and I don't really know what to focus on. Any advice? Are the exam study guides that she posts high-yield information? Should I spend a lot of time reading the book and lecture notes?

The lab we just did on the axial skeleton we covered a lot of material that was in the book but not in the lecture notes. It seemed like we covered every little bump and hole in the axial skeleton. Information overload. Oh, there's a little bump on that bone! Which process is that? Hah. I'm not complaining though, I'm enjoying the class so far. I can see this class getting out of hand though, especially if we keep up this pace I can only imagine what the final is gonna be like.