OFFICIAL Havent gotten any interviews yet - But trying to stay positive thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't mean to sound rude, but it doesn't really help any when someone says, "Hang in there"---I mean, thanks for trying.
No relief can come until we see/hear that we've been accepted. Agreed? Until that day, we will be wigging out and constantly checking the AADSAS website and SDN for developments.

Members don't see this ad.

the mrs. said:
I don't mean to sound rude, but it doesn't really help any when someone says, "Hang in there"---I mean, thanks for trying.
No relief can come until we see/hear that we've been accepted. Agreed? Until that day, we will be wigging out and constantly checking the AADSAS website and SDN for developments.

Wow thank you so much for that wonderful insight you've provided us all with. In case you missed it, the point of this thread is to say hang in there to all the people who havent heard anything good yet...because honestly what else can we say? We all know that trying to encourage people isn't really going to help, because you're right...nothing is going to make them feel better until they recieve an acceptance somewhere, but it shouldnt stop us from trying to boost each others confidence and provide a little compassion.

And in response to the mrs....good luck all and "hang in there!" Lets hope everyone on this thread each gets one more interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
HermeytheElf said:
Wow thank you so much for that wonderful insight you've provided us all with. In case you missed it, the point of this thread is to say hang in there to all the people who havent heard anything good yet...because honestly what else can we say? We all know that trying to encourage people isn't really going to help, because you're right...nothing is going to make them feel better until they recieve an acceptance somewhere, but it shouldnt stop us from trying to boost each others confidence and provide a little compassion.

good point. thanks for trying. good luck everyone.

Hey, Im in the same boat as you. I have a 3.53 GPA with a 3.43 Science GPA. DAT=19AA, 18 PAT... received 1 interview from Boston, my application wasent complete until late though. I am hoping with the passing of the Dec. 1 acceptances the schools will go back to reviewing their later applicants and mabye we will hear something soon!!!
---STAY POSITIVE

Well, i guess the whole point of the "hang in there" comments is not to give us false hope, it goes with the point of this thread, for those of us who havent gotten any interviews/acceptances to realize that were not alone, there are still plenty of us (good applicatants) out there waiting for some news and waiting to join the "I got accepted/an interview here" party. So, hang in there everyone..lol.. stay positive... and all that other good stuff... And post up that good news as it comes in for the rest of us.. This way we know we can be on the lookout for some good news of our own that might be on the way...

Kremlar said:
Well, i guess the whole point of the "hang in there" comments is not to give us false hope, it goes with the point of this thread, for those of us who havent gotten any interviews/acceptances to realize that were not alone, there are still plenty of us (good applicatants) out there waiting for some news and waiting to join the "I got accepted/an interview here" party. So, hang in there everyone..lol.. stay positive... and all that other good stuff... And post up that good news as it comes in for the rest of us.. This way we know we can be on the lookout for some good news of our own that might be on the way...

me=still no interviews.....
some schools=no supp sent
is there a cut off for supplements? or does everyone gets supp? BU and temple are the only shcools that haven't sent me supp, should I just go ahead and sent them the money? or wait......? :(

SIGH.......... 5 down, 7 to go.... Got my rejection letter from Nova today.. They sent it in a nice big envelope to get my hopes up too... Scratch one of my top choices....... This really goes to show you how much emphasis they are putting on the DAT, not one single interview... All my hard work in undergrad, 4 years, shot down in 4 hours due to a #(&#(@ test... Someone kick me please, im starting to lose hope here...

UOP - Under Review (no shot what so ever)
USC - Under Review
Uconn - Under Review
New Jersey - Under Review
NYU - Under Review
Buffalo - Under Review
Stony - Under Review

Nova - Rejected
Columbia - Rejected
Arizona - Rejected
Penn - Rejected
Temple - Rejected

Hey people, hang in there. I am living proof that you can get in with bottom of the barrel DAT scores. Here they are: AA16/TS18/PAT20. I got the call the morning of DEC. 1 saying I was accepted. DAt scores are not everything. I busted my but outside the classroom more than anything. Volunteering helped as well as other personal decisions. My LOR were outstanding and from people who really knew me. Finally I wrote an A+++ personal statement which I really believe was what got my foot in the door. I know that it's not very encouraging to most because your apps are already in but if you do have to wait until next cycle make up for areas that you lack in by doubling or even tripling your efforts in other areas. Oh, by the way I only took the DAt once and was prepared to retake it soon. Retaking the test is probably the #1 thing you can do for yourself if you have low scores. I mean who knows I could have been the charity case of the year. The biggest thing stay positive and don't give up because you didn't salm it the first time.

Kremlar said:
SIGH.......... 5 down, 7 to go.... Got my rejection letter from Nova today.. They sent it in a nice big envelope to get my hopes up too... Scratch one of my top choices....... This really goes to show you how much emphasis they are putting on the DAT, not one single interview... All my hard work in undergrad, 4 years, shot down in 4 hours due to a #(&#(@ test... Someone kick me please, im starting to lose hope here...

UOP - Under Review (no shot what so ever)
USC - Under Review
Uconn - Under Review
New Jersey - Under Review
NYU - Under Review
Buffalo - Under Review
Stony - Under Review

Nova - Rejected
Columbia - Rejected
Arizona - Rejected
Penn - Rejected
Temple - Rejected

Kremlar. Not like I know anything.. but I from what I gather, I feel like you can get into NYU, and maybe even USC. I think the state schools are really hard to get into. Hang in there.

klfb80 said:
Hey people, hang in there. I am living proof that you can get in with bottom of the barrel DAT scores. Here they are: AA16/TS18/PAT20. I got the call the morning of DEC. 1 saying I was accepted. DAt scores are not everything. I busted my but outside the classroom more than anything. Volunteering helped as well as other personal decisions. My LOR were outstanding and from people who really knew me. Finally I wrote an A+++ personal statement which I really believe was what got my foot in the door. I know that it's not very encouraging to most because your apps are already in but if you do have to wait until next cycle make up for areas that you lack in by doubling or even tripling your efforts in other areas. Oh, by the way I only took the DAt once and was prepared to retake it soon. Retaking the test is probably the #1 thing you can do for yourself if you have low scores. I mean who knows I could have been the charity case of the year. The biggest thing stay positive and don't give up because you didn't salm it the first time.
what did u write about- how long was it - how can u verify a A++++ statment

You guys are me from last year. I applied in late December to Tennessee (my state school) and I still pulled an interview. I took the DAT on Dec. 23 and submitted my app. on Dec. 24. I think I recieved my interveiw invite in mid-Feb. and chose my interview for early March.........My point is that these schools are so freaking busy right now that you may not see an interview invite for another month or two.

In case you were wondering, my stats last year were: overall GPA=3.3, science GPA=3.13 and my DAT scores were AA=17, TS=16, PA=17, Bio=16, GC=16, OC=15, QR=17, RC=21.......Psychology major, 100+ hours of shadowing, two semesters of clinical volunteer work.

Stay positive.......b/c from what I have seen on this thread it seems that alot of you are very good applicants and have a good shot at an interview. In the mean time, you should contact the schools that have rejected you and find out why.....then instead of worrying about this year, come up with a contingency plan.

geckel said:
You guys are me from last year. I applied in late December to Tennessee (my state school) and I still pulled an interview. I took the DAT on Dec. 23 and submitted my app. on Dec. 24. I think I recieved my interveiw invite in mid-Feb. and chose my interview for early March.........My point is that these schools are so freaking busy right now that you may not see an interview invite for another month or two.

In case you were wondering, my stats last year were: overall GPA=3.3, science GPA=3.13 and my DAT scores were AA=17, TS=16, PA=17, Bio=16, GC=16, OC=15, QR=17, RC=21.......Psychology major, 100+ hours of shadowing, two semesters of clinical volunteer work.

Stay positive.......b/c from what I have seen on this thread it seems that alot of you are very good applicants and have a good shot at an interview. In the mean time, you should contact the schools that have rejected you and find out why.....then instead of worrying about this year, come up with a contingency plan.

By the way, I'm still unsure that I will be accepted this year also. Tennessee's adcoms meet tomorrow...... :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
is there a cut off for supplements? or does everyone gets supp? BU and temple are the only shcools that haven't sent me supp, should I just go ahead and sent them the money? or wait......?

does anyone know the answer to this? ...would really help :confused:

One of my friends that applied for this cycle got an interview today at UMDNJ and his stats are DAT: 17AA 18PA GPA 3.0 Sci GPA 2.98
There is still hope so don't lose your faith yet!

antidote said:
does anyone know the answer to this? ...would really help :confused:

Everyone gets a supplemental application. It may be a little late in the game for Temple but you'll be alright with BU. Deadlines aren't for another few months so you might as well send in the fees for both schools and hope for the best. :)

PreDentalGuy29 said:
One of my friends that applied for this cycle got an interview today at UMDNJ and his stats are DAT: 17AA 18PA GPA 3.0 Sci GPA 2.98

Excellent.. That definitley gives me hope. Keep us posted on if your friend gets accepted to UMDNJ, I am curious, I applied there as well, but my app is still under review. Is he an instate resident, that could have also been a factor in helping... I am a NY resident, I don't know how far from home they consider being close enough, but im only 25 minutes away..!!

geckel said:

Good Luck Geckel, I hope you get in this time around, keep us posted. I am sure they are swammped with paperwork. I don't mind not hearing anything back from them, atleast it means I haven't been rejected, which at this point is good enough for me.....

Kremlar said:
Excellent.. That definitley gives me hope. Keep us posted on if your friend gets accepted to UMDNJ, I am curious, I applied there as well, but my app is still under review. Is he an instate resident, that could have also been a factor in helping... I am a NY resident, I don't know how far from home they consider being close enough, but im only 25 minutes away..!!

I'm pretty sure that proximity doesn't matter--it's based on residence. The person who actually lives in-state would pay taxes that help support their school, so you'd actually have to be in NJ to be considered in-state, not just close to it. HOWEVER, on a somewhat related note: Columbia mentioned that they give on-campus housing preference to people who are from further away... that could either mean that you'll get shafted for on-campus housing if you're close by, or get a better shot of getting in since you don't need the housing... or maybe I'm overanalyzing... but lets hope NJ considers the latter ;)

Sephisabin said:
I'm pretty sure that proximity doesn't matter--it's based on residence. The person who actually lives in-state would pay taxes that help support their school, so you'd actually have to be in NJ to be considered in-state, not just close to it. HOWEVER, on a somewhat related note: Columbia mentioned that they give on-campus housing preference to people who are from further away... that could either mean that you'll get shafted for on-campus housing if you're close by, or get a better shot of getting in since you don't need the housing... or maybe I'm overanalyzing... but lets hope NJ considers the latter ;)

Na, I know they wouldnt give me preference like a resident, I was only joking around. I do think they accept a lot of students from NY though if I am not mistaken. Im not worried about on campus housing, im just worried about getting IN....

Here are my stats: I have already applied, so what do you think my chances are for interviewing this cycle.

AADSAS complete August 2005.
DAT complete October 2005.
Scores: AA17 TS18 OR19 BIO17 GC18 PAT16 QR13

GPA overall 3.36
Science 2.84
BCP 2.57

On the subjective stuff: lots of volunteer time (different organization), older student, family etc., Own my own business etc., strong letters of recommendation and so forth.

Most schools that I applied to are private. Already been rejected by five. Still no interviews. The remaining schools (9 left) have me "under review." What do you guys think?

I contacted BU early last week and left a message. One of the admissions counsellors called me back and I had a nice chat with her. Apparently, they try to fill about 1/4 of their class Dec1 st. I asked her if It was a little late to apply and she said not really...

I'm a reapplicant, and NYU just told me to update my file, no AADSAS. All of whatever I've done post rejection to bring my app up (new DAT's, LOR's etc). They said that they hold onto a re-applicant for one cycle and update the file so no fees associated as well. About class size, reluctantly, after a little coaxing, she said that they will be increasing their class size a little from last yr and that although some offers have gone out, a LOT still remain to be sent.

My point is, the SECOND round of acceptances goes out like jan 15th, and consider people who have gotten multiple acceptances or are waiting for a letter from their first choice...spots will open up...remember, ppl applied to multiple schools schools this year. Yes, many people on SDN have spots, its not early, but it aint too late either.....

just trying to get a positive spin on this......... :D

Mr.E said:
Here are my stats: I have already applied, so what do you think my chances are for interviewing this cycle.

GPA overall 3.36
Science 2.84
BCP 2.57

On the subjective stuff: lots of volunteer time (different organization), older student, family etc., Own my own business etc., strong letters of recommendation and so forth.

Most schools that I applied to are private. Already been rejected by five. Still no interviews. The remaining schools (9 left) have me "under review." What do you guys think?

Honestly your chance are slim to nill. Your Science GPA is very low and your DAT is average at best. You're looking at the HD plan right now unless you got connections in school. Took me 2+ years to get into dental school.

HD

makwendo said:
I
I'm a reapplicant, and NYU just told me to update my file, no AADSAS. All of whatever I've done post rejection to bring my app up (new DAT's, LOR's etc). They said that they hold onto a re-applicant for one cycle and update the file so no fees associated as well. About class size, reluctantly, after a little coaxing, she said that they will be increasing their class size a little from last yr and that although some offers have gone out, a LOT still remain to be sent.

My point is, the SECOND round of acceptances goes out like jan 15th, and consider people who have gotten multiple acceptances or are waiting for a letter from their first choice...spots will open up...remember, ppl applied to multiple schools schools this year. Yes, many people on SDN have spots, its not early, but it aint too late either.....

just trying to get a positive spin on this......... :D

THANKS for the heads up Makwendo, it's good to know. I applied to NYU and I am an in state... Im really hoping for one of those stress free "you've been accepted without interview" letters.. That would really brighten my day up..
As long as there is one school that still has my application "Under Review" then im still alive in this game.. Because your right, and what they told you at NYU is right, im sure there are some schools who havent even looked at our applications yet. Eventhough I have yet to interview anywhere, it's been exciting none the less... My heart races every time I get a letter from a school in the mail, although I havent had any happy news to share as of yet... My day will come... As will all of yours.....

Kremlar said:
THANKS for the heads up Makwendo, it's good to know. I applied to NYU and I am an in state... Im really hoping for one of those stress free "you've been accepted without interview" letters.. That would really brighten my day up..
As long as there is one school that still has my application "Under Review" then im still alive in this game.. Because your right, and what they told you at NYU is right, im sure there are some schools who havent even looked at our applications yet. Eventhough I have yet to interview anywhere, it's been exciting none the less... My heart races every time I get a letter from a school in the mail, although I havent had any happy news to share as of yet... My day will come... As will all of yours.....

Well.. Hot Pickle Baby has DAT scores remarkably similar to yours and he stated that he got into a school somewhere. Check out his post here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=245638

I don't know if he is serious or not so take his post with a grain of salt. Good luck to you and everyone else here. :luck:

Mr.E said:

GPA overall 3.36
Science 2.84
BCP 2.57

Your guess is as good as anyones... No one here will be able to tell you that, only the adcoms can...Your gpa is good, the sciences could use a little help tho.. and to also keep it positive, atleast if you had to mess up one section on the DAT, it was the QR, I have heard they are more willing to forgive a bad grade in that section over any other... You already applied, so its out of your hands now, just sit back and see what happens.. Post any good news when you get it, we'd all love to hear it.... Hopefully that good news will come soon.. and if you get an interview, be prepared to speak up on those aspects of your application... best of luck..

Kremlar said:
Your guess is as good as anyones... No one here will be able to tell you that, only the adcoms can...Your gpa is good, the sciences could use a little help tho.. and to also keep it positive, atleast if you had to mess up one section on the DAT, it was the QR, I have heard they are more willing to forgive a bad grade in that section over any other... You already applied, so its out of your hands now, just sit back and see what happens.. Post any good news when you get it, we'd all love to hear it.... Hopefully that good news will come soon.. and if you get an interview, be prepared to speak up on those aspects of your application... best of luck..

Thanks! I am trying to stay positive, but I have my days. I think this whole application things takes its toll on people.

Mr.E said:
Thanks! I am trying to stay positive, but I have my days. I think this whole application things takes its toll on people.

That is an understatement. I'm die'n over here.

Kremlar said:

I'm in the same boat, so i'll add my two cents to the thread. I didn't really have everything in until the end of september. I guess that's my problem. I have an interview set up with Temple in Feb, but it looks like a lot of people interview there.

overall gpa: 3.44
science gpa: 3.2 (a bit low, i know)
DAT: aa:24 pat:21 overallscience:24 reading:25 quant:19 bio:28 genchem:23
ochem:23

I felt so confident, but with every day that nothing comes, I get more and more worried.
I am waiting to hear from Marquette, UOP, UCLA, UCSF, USC, UNLV, OHSU, Penn, and I already got rejected from Ohio and Case.

burnintime said:
I'm in the same boat, so i'll add my two cents to the thread. I didn't really have everything in until the end of september. I guess that's my problem. I have an interview set up with Temple in Feb, but it looks like a lot of people interview there.

overall gpa: 3.44
science gpa: 3.2 (a bit low, i know)
DAT: aa:24 pat:21 overallscience:24 reading:25 quant:19 bio:28 genchem:23
ochem:23

I felt so confident, but with every day that nothing comes, I get more and more worried.
I am waiting to hear from Marquette, UOP, UCLA, UCSF, USC, UNLV, OHSU, Penn, and I already got rejected from Ohio and Case.

What were Ohio and Case thinking!!!!!!!! :eek: Your DAT is a 24 for crying out loud.

I just got an interview invitation from Pitts. :) My application was sent in middle of November and I am so surprised Pitts processed my application so fast.

Hey Kremlar...I have some discouraging new. Your BCP is going to haunt you. As with you, My BCP is only a 2.7, and every school that I have called had made it a point to tell me that the BCP is why I am not being accepted. I have done EVERYTHING I can to make my application stronger (medical science master's degree 04/06, retaken my DAT AA-18, PAT-19, Sci-19, I have letters from at least 4 dental school faculty and dentists, over 500 hrs of shadowing......) Its the damn BCP. I actually was accepted to U of M because I have really good connection and have followed through with them in every way possible. But I guarrentee I will get rejected from every other school. And what really gets me is the fact that I am doing anything and everything possible to mask that BCP, but it will never go away.
If there is a way, please lemme know , cause I am very interested.

Kremlar said:

litlmisa said:
Hey I'll tally up, too...

stats:
cum 3.49
sci 3.63
bcp 3.39

dat
aa 20
ts 21
pat 20

Schools:
Arizona=rejected after interview
Case=alternate list (interview in march)
Colorado=rejected
Kentucky= under review
Marquette=under review
UNC= under review
OHSU = under review

I also have 5 years experience as a certified dental assistant...

should we hold a candlelight ceremony in june, pending bad news?

Hey don't worry. My stats are very similar to you and I ahve multiple acceptance. I think timing may be late for acceptance but you will get one eventually. Good luck guys

jhamer5 said:
Hey Kremlar...I have some discouraging new. Your BCP is going to haunt you. As with you, My BCP is only a 2.7, and every school that I have called had made it a point to tell me that the BCP is why I am not being accepted. I have done EVERYTHING I can to make my application stronger (medical science master's degree 04/06, retaken my DAT AA-18, PAT-19, Sci-19, I have letters from at least 4 dental school faculty and dentists, over 500 hrs of shadowing......) Its the damn BCP. I actually was accepted to U of M because I have really good connection and have followed through with them in every way possible. But I guarrentee I will get rejected from every other school. And what really gets me is the fact that I am doing anything and everything possible to mask that BCP, but it will never go away.

Yes you have done everything you can to get into D school. You are dedicated and shown some good stuff with masters degree but getting with connection is one thing you should not have done. Yes you may get in and all that , but I would not do it and I don't like people who even think about trying it. And then these are the same people that will talk about affirmative action $hit. And I know plenty of them.

Regardless, this is not about me, my application, and where I am going to school. The point is the BCP. How is having a connection bad (considering the fact that you really do not know exaclty what connections I actually have)??? Like nobody else does? And, Its not like my overall gpa is a 2.8 and my sci is a 2.8. I have resonalble competitive gpas (3.2 Ug, 3.3 Grad). Also, sometimes grades and testscores arent everything (look at all the people with 3.8 overall and 3.2 sci) who are getting rejected. I feel like there is a ton of people who will make awesome dentists, who actually want to go into it for the right reasons, that will never be given and chance. If you have a 3.999999 or whatever, thats great, but maybe other people don't. These people need to fend for themselves in order to excell toward there goal, and I would be 100000X more likely to help them out then the kid who brags about their 5 acceptances.

Mustt Mustt said:
Yes you have done everything you can to get into D school. You are dedicated and shown some good stuff with masters degree but getting with connection is one thing you should not have done. Yes you may get in and all that , but I would not do it and I don't like people who even think about trying it. And then these are the same people that will talk about affirmative action $hit. And I know plenty of them.

Mr.E said:

GPA overall 3.36
Science 2.84
BCP 2.57

If there's one thing I have learned about this whole app process, it's that you have to be absolutely honest with yourself about your chances. Of course you, and your peers, will think that you're getting the shaft if you don't get interviews or acceptances because you've done everything you think you can to make it happen. But, you've got to be real. Just based on the numbers, the odds of getting in aren't in anyone's favor. You need to make yourself stand out, and entice adcoms to look past page one of your AADSAS report.
Your DAT is not even average, which gives you no legs to stand on when trying to defend your GPA's. I'm a returning student as well, who had a 2.225 when I decided to go after dental school. I made sure that I did well on the DAT, and had a super high GPA in the prereqs in order to make my cumulative somewhat meaningless. You need to take the DAT over, and get 20+'s across the board, plain and simple. You also need to take ANY classes that will count toward the BCP GPA and ace the crap out of them.
I don't agree with the 13 on QR being OK. Dude, that's not going to help. People like us DO NOT want to be explaining, or making excuses for blemishes to adcoms. You can defend the past, but you don't want to defend recent things. You need to prove that you can handle the didactic portion of dental school! It's great you have all of this real world experience, but it doesn't mean anything if you can't prove that you won't fail out of school or pass the boards.
Hate to burst your bubble, but there are more people than you think who are doing what you're doing and have solid numbers to back up the intangibles you possess. I know I may sound harsh, but you need to suck it up, and do what you need to if you want to make this happen. You also need to make sure you get your AADSAS stuff in June 1, get new LOR's, a new PS, take more classes, apply to 10-15 schools, and work directly with the admissions offices at every school you apply to. Also, don't apply to all private schools. I applied to 8 private, 2 public, and got my only 2 interviews at the public schools (not in my state, either). Now I'm going to a State school 1000 miles away. Private schools can be shady on who's in and who's not due to $$$ and nepotism.

jhamer5 said:
How is having a connection bad (considering the fact that you really do not know exaclty what connections I actually have)??? Like nobody else does?
If you have a 3.999999 or whatever, thats great, but maybe other people don't. These people need to fend for themselves in order to excell toward there goal, and I would be 100000X more likely to help them out then the kid who brags about their 5 acceptances.

Ok, if you believe that gaining admission by connection is good than it is your choice and it tells a lot about you. If you believe that most people who go to dental school have connections, then my freind you are worng. very very few people have connections and I don't like anyone who gets into dental/medical/law/business/undergrad etc. schools through connections.

People who have high grades, they have high grades for a reason. Don't take anything away from people who have worked hard to achive those high grades. I don't have high grades and there is a reason behind it. I sucked earlier in my college and took it lightly. And you are going to help out a people by taking their spot away through connections. I know there are many people in dental schools who get through connections and I know this. I know one person in upcoming Michigan class got in through connections. That is the one reason I would never ever donate a dime to any dental schools in my life because schools who do this kinds of things don't deserve it or don't need it.

Mustt Mustt said:
Ok, if you believe that gaining admission by connection is good than it is your choice and it tells a lot about you. If you believe that most people who go to dental school have connections, then my freind you are worng. very very few people have connections and I don't like anyone who gets into dental/medical/law/business/undergrad etc. schools through connections.

People who have high grades, they have high grades for a reason. Don't take anything away from people who have worked hard to achive those high grades. I don't have high grades and there is a reason behind it. I sucked earlier in my college and took it lightly. And you are going to help out a people by taking their spot away through connections. I know there are many people in dental schools who get through connections and I know this. I know one person in upcoming Michigan class got in through connections. That is the one reason I would never ever donate a dime to any dental schools in my life because schools who do this kinds of things don't deserve it or don't need it.
I totally agree. With applications up about 40% around the country, schools need to stop the legacy student acceptances, unless, of course, they are "earning" a spot. I have no connections and had to work my a$$ off to get in. I know some schools are notorious for letting doctor's kids in with pretty shady stats and experience. Maybe no one used to want to go to dental school, and the secret about the income was just that, but now the cat's out of the bag. I know some pretty ridiculous stories about who's in and who's out this year at a certain private dental school. Connections are fine if you can prove that you don't need to depend on them to get accepted.

Ronald Jeremy said:
I totally agree. With applications up about 40% around the country, schools need to stop the legacy student acceptances, unless, of course, they are "earning" a spot. I have no connections and had to work my a$$ off to get in. I know some schools are notorious for letting doctor's kids in with pretty shady stats and experience. Maybe no one used to want to go to dental school, and the secret about the income was just that, but now the cat's out of the bag. I know some pretty ridiculous stories about who's in and who's out this year at a certain private dental school. Connections are fine if you can prove that you don't need to depend on them to get accepted.

Haha, I'm assuming you are talking about Marquette....since us Madison students know full well of the golden eagles. Anyways, I dont think legacy should be looked down upon, I just don't think it should be an automatic ticket. However, I do think if you have a parent who is a dentist, you really know what the profession entails moreso than any other applicant. An applicant can shadow for 5000 hours, and still won't know what a dentists life is really like compared to the dentist's kids.

More likely than not the parents don't even factor into the process unless the applicant has good enough stats to make it in without them, and then they get a leg up over similar applicants later in the admissions process. That's just my opinion. I'm sure there are some schools who do play favorites- which is unfortunate.

PreDentalGuy29 said:

how is that possible? other than serious connections, I just don't see it...

Thats great and all, but the Alumni are the ones donating money to the school, teaching at the school, and looking out for the best interests of the school. Whether it is right or wrong, to shunn the almni could be detrimental to the institution. Why dont you write a letter to Harvard, and the other IVY league schools, complaining about legacies...But thats different, right?? And I do agree that a applicant with a 2.5 and a 17 on his exam, legacy or not, shouldn't get admitted. By the way whoever said that the national average of the DAT is not 18, I think their wrong. I heard that the National average was 18 this year.

Ronald Jeremy said:

jhamer5 said:
Thats great and all, but the Alumni are the ones donating money to the school, teaching at the school, and looking out for the best interests of the school. Whether it is right or wrong, to shunn the almni could be detrimental to the institution. Why dont you write a letter to Harvard, and the other IVY league schools, complaining about legacies...But thats different, right?? And I do agree that a applicant with a 2.5 and a 17 on his exam, legacy or not, shouldn't get admitted. By the way whoever said that the national average of the DAT is not 18, I think their wrong. I heard that the National average was 18 this year.
Um....yeah. Pretty sure I wasn't dogging alumni. I was piling on those legacy people getting in with crappy a$$ stats. My problem is that it seems to be happening quite a bit. I understand that private schools are having to walk a fine line between pleasing alumni and making sure their classes have the most qualified, deserving people enrolled. But, when schools like Marquette tell you how competitive getting into their school is, then they have classes with an AA of 17.01 and PAT of 17, I guess the 'competitive' aspects come from somewhere outside the academic realm.
Look, I get the legacy thing at Ivy League schools. I mean, if our ******ed president can get through Yale and Harvard, anything is possible. But this is PROFESSIONAL school we're talking about. We're going to be upheld to a different standard, with the community innately trusting in our abilities, education, professionism, and knowledge. All I was saying is that the best of the best should be selected. Not Dr. Whoever's kid who sniffed too much glue at Slacker State, got straight C's, pulled a 17 on the DAT, and wants to drive a Benz like his old man who never really loved him to begin with.

Ronald Jeremy said:
Um....yeah. Pretty sure I wasn't dogging alumni. I was piling on those legacy people getting in with crappy a$$ stats. My problem is that it seems to be happening quite a bit. I understand that private schools are having to walk a fine line between pleasing alumni and making sure their classes have the most qualified, deserving people enrolled. But, when schools like Marquette tell you how competitive getting into their school is, then they have classes with an AA of 17.01 and PAT of 17, I guess the 'competitive' aspects come from somewhere outside the academic realm.
Look, I get the legacy thing at Ivy League schools. I mean, if our ******ed president can get through Yale and Harvard, anything is possible. But this is PROFESSIONAL school we're talking about. We're going to be upheld to a different standard, with the community innately trusting in our abilities, education, professionism, and knowledge. All I was saying is that the best of the best should be selected. Not Dr. Whoever's kid who sniffed too much glue at Slacker State, got straight C's, pulled a 17 on the DAT, and wants to drive a Benz like his old man who never really loved him to begin with.

I called Marquette yesterday and talked to Brian and he gave me this huge spiel about cream of the crop applicants and so many to choose from and only the most qualified. If they're letting that many *****s in because of legacy acceptances, enough to pull their DAT averages down to 17, then something clearly isn't right. Remember that to have averages of 17 means that there are people who did worse than that who still got in. None of us can really say for sure how many students in a class were accepted under the table but for a jesuit school that pushes morality and integrity to be involved in something that unfair is hurting us qualified applicants now and themselves in the long run.

Yeah, I agree with you on that. I just felt like I had to defend it because I am the son of an alumini, But I sure as hell don't have 17s on my DAT or Cs in my coursework. Thats crazy that marquette goes that low with regards to kids of almuni. U of M def isnt like that (took me 3 times to get in), and I assumed it was like that everywhere. Anyway, take er easy and have a good holiday.

Ronald Jeremy said:

jhamer5 said:
Thats great and all, but the Alumni are the ones donating money to the school, teaching at the school, and looking out for the best interests of the school. Whether it is right or wrong, to shunn the almni could be detrimental to the institution. Why dont you write a letter to Harvard, and the other IVY league schools, complaining about legacies...But thats different, right?? .

Look, all I am saying is that This connection and Legacy $hit is wrong, no matter what. If Harvard, yale and bunch of other schools do it doesn't make it one bit right. We live in the materialistic society and many school just seems to care more about money than the well being of the profession. I am not going to write a letter to Harvard or anyother school becasue I don't have money and these schools care more about money than anything. I am not really happy that my Undegrad school Michigan and soon to be my dental schools is doing this. It doesn't make me proud that I am going to Michigan. I am going to Michigan for financial reason because it is the cheapest school for me. I am very proud of the community college education I received and that school is going to receieve a donation from me becasue they give everybody a equal chance to succeed in life regardless of their parents checking Account. This all legacy and connection $hit should be stopped, simple as that. Nobody will say that getting into dental school through connections is a right thing to do, it may be good for person who got in but it is not the right thing.

jhamer5 said:

Hello Jhamer, I think you have me confused with someone elses post.. My BCP is actually one of the strongest things on my application. I have a 3.9 BCP so im in real good shape with that. I DO hope it has as much weight as you say, although, even with my BCP the DAT is whats keeping me down right now.

Im sorry about that and good luck with schools. If you get an interview just go in there and show them that your a normal guy with lots of other qualifications other than school. At my U of M Interview we had to introduce ourselves and say where we would be if we were not in the Lib or at an internet cafe. SOme of the answers were unbelieveable, ie people saying they would be in the lab, or reading...... I just said in the gym or at the bar. One major thing that worked for me was being social and outgoing, and you would be suprised how much they consider this.
As for Mr. I hate almni kids, this convo is over cause it is going nowhere. You think one thing, and I think another. I do agree with you that legacy people who are not even on the fence should NOT get admitted. But I take offense to your comments because My father is an alumni, but my scores and grades are not low, and I have been offered interviews at other schools as well. So do you hate me b/c I am the son of an alum?? I do not know, nor do I care. Good luck on your future endeavors.
Peace
Kremlar said:
Hello Jhamer, I think you have me confused with someone elses post.. My BCP is actually one of the strongest things on my application. I have a 3.9 BCP so im in real good shape with that. I DO hope it has as much weight as you say, although, even with my BCP the DAT is whats keeping me down right now.

I'm hopeful and I'm trying not to get bitter. My bcp is 2.7 as well. I haven't gotten any interviews. I'm on the low end of the applicant pool, but Ive got a 3.7 gpa for my post-bac record. I will be so incredibly disheartened if I find out the post-bac was for nothing. I wish the schools could be forgiving. You do gain so much experience failing to get into d-school and then going back the next year for a post-bac.

:(

jhamer5 said:
Im sorry about that and good luck with schools. If you get an interview just go in there and show them that your a normal guy with lots of other qualifications other than school. At my U of M Interview we had to introduce ourselves and say where we would be if we were not in the Lib or at an internet cafe. SOme of the answers were unbelieveable, ie people saying they would be in the lab, or reading...... I just said in the gym or at the bar. One major thing that worked for me was being social and outgoing, and you would be suprised how much they consider this.
As for Mr. I hate almni kids, this convo is over cause it is going nowhere. You think one thing, and I think another. I do agree with you that legacy people who are not even on the fence should NOT get admitted. But I take offense to your comments because My father is an alumni, but my scores and grades are not low, and I have been offered interviews at other schools as well. So do you hate me b/c I am the son of an alum?? I do not know, nor do I care. Good luck on your future endeavors.
Peace

Dude, you taking it this worn way. I am talking about people getting through connections with 2.7 and 17 DAT and only school they got in was the one they had connection at .. Iam not talking about people who are qualified. My point was that only qualified people should be admitted regardless of the alumni thing. I don't hate anybody and certainly not you. I may not like them but it is not the same as Hate.

I gotcha... I see what your saying. Sorry about the confusion. About the 2.7 BCP, I am finishing up my masters degree in medical science. I thought that it would be most impressive when I applied. To my dismay, it didnot help as much as I thought. It did not hurt, but it was like some of my undergrad sci courses would never be laid to rest by schools. Iowa, for example, told me that my masters program was a joke, and that I should have a 4.0 (however, they did not know anything about it...that it is hard as balls, with MDs, Phd, and DDSs in my classes. But they didnt ask. They where just hung up on my orgo grade.) I dont know if you did a degree program or just took post-bac courses. Schools (BU, pitt, Umich, louisville) like medical sci programs, while others dont care...it depends on the school. If it is any hope, I was accepted to Umich, I have an interview at louisville in jan, and I have a few other schools i am waiting on (but pulling my app). if you got any quest, just ask, because I bet my app is pretty close to yours.

Mustt Mustt said:
Dude, you taking it this worn way. I am talking about people getting through connections with 2.7 and 17 DAT and only school they got in was the one they had connection at .. Iam not talking about people who are qualified. My point was that only qualified people should be admitted regardless of the alumni thing. I don't hate anybody and certainly not you. I may not like them but it is not the same as Hate.