Official I'm not going to these schools thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Declined:

Ohio State
CWR Metrohealth
Texas Tech - Lubbock

Good luck all.

Members don't see this ad.

supahfresh said:
Just because you interview at a program does not mean that you have to rank them and thus you won't be forced to go there. Do you guys understand how the match works? I interviewed at 12 programs and only ranked 5 of them.

Of course I understand it. My point was that why waste their time and yours. Why have them go to the trouble of finding a place for you on their ROL when you have no intention of going.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idiopathic said:
Definitely a mistake. Good people, U of F
Definately not a mistake. Florida nor Gainesville is not for everyone. Just as you previously said there is no need to interview at places you have no intention of going. No need to comment on personal decisions.

blaze said:
Definately not a mistake. Florida nor Gainesville is not for everyone. Just as you previously said there is no need to interview at places you have no intention of going. No need to comment on personal decisions.

And who the hell are you? I agree not for everybody, but one of the top 5 to 10 progs in the country, IMHO. If not in Gainesville, would be very highly sought after. I believe anyone interested in anesthesia would be well served to check it out, thats all.

Nice first post. Maybe its from a Florida 'hopeful'.

Idiopathic said:
And who the hell are you? I agree not for everybody, but one of the top 5 to 10 progs in the country, IMHO. If not in Gainesville, would be very highly sought after. I believe anyone interested in anesthesia would be well served to check it out, thats all.

I just don't think it is very fair to tell people they are making mistakes in this process. The whole process is hard enough as is. I agree U F is a heck of a program but that doesn't mean that someone is making a mistake by not intervieweing there. You ask who I am, who are you to tell people they are making mistakes.

Idiopathic said:

Top 5 or 10 in the country? According to who? I could probably rattle off at least 15 programs with a better reputation. I'm all for not listening to the advice of others when figuring out which residency is best for you, but if you asked most PDs and residency directors around the country I don't think Florida would be top 10, let alone top 5.

Idiopathic said:

idio, not cool to be calling out people on their decisions.

i've recently starting posting, and from my view, you've been pretty high-strung in this messageboard, constantly worried, and always looking for external confirmation. i say chill out, the process is the same for all of us, and let people make their own decisions.

Canceled Mayo-Rochester, Penn State, and U Mich today. I know, excellent top-notch program but location became problematic for me.

Mman said:
Top 5 or 10 in the country? According to who? I could probably rattle off at least 15 programs with a better reputation. I'm all for not listening to the advice of others when figuring out which residency is best for you, but if you asked most PDs and residency directors around the country I don't think Florida would be top 10, let alone top 5.

That's actually a very common theme on the interview trail and especially here. According to this school of thought, there are about 25 or so "top 5 or 10" programs. UF I'm sure is a great program, even a "top notch" program. But there are only 5 "top 5" places, and it varies depending on who you ask.

ripped cheese said:
idio, not cool to be calling out people on their decisions.

i've recently starting posting, and from my view, you've been pretty high-strung in this messageboard, constantly worried, and always looking for external confirmation. i say chill out, the process is the same for all of us, and let people make their own decisions.

Note: dont read it if you dont want to get sucked in.

Just opinions around here, obviously, but if you read my post you would see that it was not meant to be malicious. I certainly dont expect to make decisions for TF, but Ive had plenty of conversations (through the message board) with this person (unlike you two) and feel fairly comfortable just expressing that opinion. I cant imagine that there would be offense taken, but if it is, I certainly would apologize. I think it was the least 'high-strung' thing Ive said on this thread, which is primarily for conversation and venting (for me). I dont claim it to be anything else, so perhaps you should consider that before commenting on my attitude.

You will also note that the 'top 5-10' comment was in my honest opinion as I have seen the program, the facility, their faculty, graduates and what they have to offer, therefore, I feel reasonably secure commenting that I feel it is an excellent program, with great training and opportunity, and suffers only from location. My goal was to suggest to TF that he not overlook this as simply another state school program. Im sorry I offended the new posters, Ill try to keep it down.

And as for blaze, I am someone who has spent a lot of time around here, giving advice (usually when asked) to many people and generally being a positive influence. This is meant to be conversational, remember. No accusations, nothing taken personally, just open discussion. So there we are.

edit: I would expect you to tell me if you thought it was a mistake to ca ncel a specific interview. I certainly wouldnt get pissed about it.

Idiopathic said:

Just opinions around here, obviously, but if you read my post you would see that it was not meant to be malicious. I certainly dont expect to make decisions for TF, but Ive had plenty of conversations (through the message board) with this person (unlike you two) and feel fairly comfortable just expressing that opinion. I cant imagine that there would be offense taken, but if it is, I certainly would apologize. I think it was the least 'high-strung' thing Ive said on this thread, which is primarily for conversation and venting (for me). I dont claim it to be anything else, so perhaps you should consider that before commenting on my attitude.

You will also note that the 'top 5-10' comment was in my honest opinion as I have seen the program, the facility, their faculty, graduates and what they have to offer, therefore, I feel reasonably secure commenting that I feel it is an excellent program, with great training and opportunity, and suffers only from location. My goal was to suggest to TF that he not overlook this as simply another state school program. Im sorry I offended the new posters, Ill try to keep it down.

And as for blaze, I am someone who has spent a lot of time around here, giving advice (usually when asked) to many people and generally being a positive influence. This is meant to be conversational, remember. No accusations, nothing taken personally, just open discussion. So there we are.

edit: I would expect you to tell me if you thought it was a mistake to ca ncel a specific interview. I certainly wouldnt get pissed about it.

If you have no intentions of going to a program- who whatever reason then give up the interview slot. There are many people waiting to get interviews but all the interview slots are filled.

So do your co-students a big good deed. They need a chance also

Members don't see this ad :)
Idiopathic said:

Hey guys.

Idio...dont worry I didnt take it to mean anything. And yes, Idio and I have had convos on and off the message board, so i know he's only looking out for my best interest.

i agree.. U of Fla is a Kick A$$ program, I would LOVE to go there, but for personal reasons i realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly need to stay in the midwest.

LOL...so if any of u floridians have an interview at say NWU or something, it would be GREATLYYYYY appreciated if ya'll cashed that one in since now you all have a chance at U of Fla :D :D

I also bought the book that came out of U of FLA for med students...I mean the book is friggin awesome! for an idiot like me, it breaks stuff down to the T. so it's w/o reserve, I can say the program prolly rocks.

best of luck..oh and remember DROP ur Chciago/midwest program!! :laugh: :laugh:

have a good weekend!

And just so you know, Ill be cancelling Rush, since I got another interview scheduled and it conflicts. Now you can all tell me why I shouldnt cancel Rush :p

Somehow I dont think its that kind of group, huh...

How is the program at UMDNJ-NJMS doing..

is it still in the dumps about to be **** canned?

Nah, cancel Rush. :) I'm probably going to do the same next week.

Idiopathic said:
And just so you know, Ill be cancelling Rush, since I got another interview scheduled and it conflicts. Now you can all tell me why I shouldnt cancel Rush :p

Somehow I dont think its that kind of group, huh...

my question to all is this. i'm guessing the less competitive programs will use interview cancellations to invite their "2nd string" team. but is it really true for the top notch programs (ucsf, stanford, mgh, etc.) that they would give out addtl invites based on a few people cancelling?

my guess is not. i've actually heard from ucsf that they would rather not fill than accept someone less "qualified" in their eyes.

just a thought as we go thru this. btw, i did cancel wash u, so i'm not against cancelling. just trying to be rational i guess.

ripped cheese said:
my question to all is this. i'm guessing the less competitive programs will use interview cancellations to invite their "2nd string" team. but is it really true for the top notch programs (ucsf, stanford, mgh, etc.) that they would give out addtl invites based on a few people cancelling?

my guess is not. i've actually heard from ucsf that they would rather not fill than accept someone less "qualified" in their eyes.

just a thought as we go thru this. btw, i did cancel wash u, so i'm not against cancelling. just trying to be rational i guess.

That is a very UCSF thing to say.

ripped cheese said:

I think that the applicant pool is much stronger this year than in years past, and it would be much easier to find enough quality applicants to interview, at least. It behooves every program to use every possible interview spot, even if they interview people who might not be considered top notch.

blocks said:
That is a very UCSF thing to say.
And stupid. Guess who will have to pick up the slack if the program doesn't fill. :rolleyes:

My list:

Baystate - to be cancelled (going to Duke that day)
Pitt - already declined
Thomas Jefferson - to be cancelled (going to BID that day)
UC Irvine - already declined
St. Vincent's NYMC - already declined
Penn State - may cancel if I'm going to flunk family medicine for missing too many days
Stanford - don't want to touch me with a ten foot pole :laugh:
Dartmouth - I'm not sure yet. Will ask fiance.

Idiopathic said:
I think that the applicant pool is much stronger this year than in years past, and it would be much easier to find enough quality applicants to interview, at least. It behooves every program to use every possible interview spot, even if they interview people who might not be considered top notch.

At Vandy this week, the PD said that because of the HUGE increase in applicants a lot of applicants who they would normally invite for interviews were not invited this year because they ran out of interview slots - after adding several additional interview days. I guess I am really, really glad I turned in my app early - I think it makes a huge difference this year. So many more qualified and competitive (top-notch) applicants this year

Ok, OK, it is hard to let go! I feel like I am doing something wrong. It is so different from applying to med school.

Here goes:

D/C:

MMC
MCOW
Stanford
UVM
Dart

NW prior

More to follow!

Sugar72 said:
At Vandy this week, the PD said that because of the HUGE increase in applicants a lot of applicants who they would normally invite for interviews were not invited this year because they ran out of interview slots - after adding several additional interview days. I guess I am really, really glad I turned in my app early - I think it makes a huge difference this year. So many more qualified and competitive (top-notch) applicants this year

Im glad I interviewed early.

Sugar72 said:

I turned in my app 9/1 but my school's dept took its sweet time submitting my anesthesia letter. :mad: I'm sure a lot of the programs i havent heard from were waiting for that letter. And now they just dont have any more interview slots. I feel so screwed over. :(

btw, conversely, I sent my app to Wash U St. Louis like mid-october, and i've gotten, not one, but TWO invites from them. :D

chicamedica said:
I turned in my app 9/1 but my school's dept took its sweet time submitting my anesthesia letter. :mad: I'm sure a lot of the programs i havent heard from were waiting for that letter. And now they just dont have any more interview slots. I feel so screwed over. :(

btw, conversely, I sent my app to Wash U St. Louis like mid-october, and i've gotten, not one, but TWO invites from them. :D

Same here, I am still missing one of my letters of rec.

toughlife said:
Same here, I am still missing one of my letters of rec.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

HOUND THE INVOLVED PEOPLE!!!!!!!!! That's what worked for me. Until the letter got stuck waiting for a signature for 4 days when the writer left for the ASA meeting. :mad:

Anybody declining the following schools?
Cleveland clinic
JHU
Wash U
Northwestern
Loma-linda
Baylor
Layola
Uwash
BID
Tufts
Univ. of florida

If you are when do you plan to do it? If you have made up your mind. please do it sooner than later. Thanks,

Can you guys help me decide which Texas programs I should go to!! I have received interview intvitations at all of them except A&M and will only be able to go to about 3 interviews, which ones should I go to!! Thanks in advance.

Cookie said:
Can you guys help me decide which Texas programs I should go to!! I have received interview intvitations at all of them except A&M and will only be able to go to about 3 interviews, which ones should I go to!! Thanks in advance.

UTSW, Baylor, UTMB....those are the best programs in TX

Cookie said:

I couldn't tell you which one's not to got to, but personally if I got an invite from San Antonio, I'd go. I hear it is a great program and it's in a kick a$$ city.

I just sent out emails canceling;
- MGH
- BID
- B&W
- Univ of Colorado
- Univ of Wisconsin

ear-ache said:
- MGH
- BID
- B&W
- Univ of Colorado
- Univ of Wisconsin

FYI - It caused me physical pain to cancel these - took me two days to get the nerve to click the 'send' button.

ear-ache said:
FYI - It caused me physical pain to cancel these - took me two days to get the nerve to click the 'send' button.

respect, man...

ear-ache said:
- MGH
- BID
- B&W
- Univ of Colorado
- Univ of Wisconsin

wow. then what programs ARE you interviewing at?

Dropped MGH.
This did not cause me physical pain. however, it has stimulated more psychiatric symptoms...

Sorry I held on so long!

Today I'm canceling
-Duke
-Dartmouth
-MMC
-Emory
-Wash U

That's in addition to the ones I already cancelled
-U Penn
-Penn State
-U Rochester
-Mayo Rochester
-U Mich

Cancelled UT-Houston today

DrDre' said:
Dropped MGH.
This did not cause me physical pain. however, it has stimulated more psychiatric symptoms...

Sorry I held on so long!

Damn! Drop UCSF & MGH on the same day - you show them whos the man!

RW-
You know- all in a day's work!
Let's hope I don't regret it!

jc237 said:
respect, man...

True, part of it was respect - but it was also like trying to decide which one of your children you were going to drop off at the orphanage.

DrDre' said:
RW-
You know- all in a day's work!
Let's hope I don't regret it!

Whats to regret? If you cant match with your 8-12 interviews lined up, the you probably wouldnt match at UCSF or MGH. Of course, just the fact that you got both interviews makes me think your going to have to f'ck up your interviews in a way still unknown to mankind not to match. You'll end up somewhere you'll actually wanna be, no doubt.

Follow'in Dre's lead - I just canceled UCSF and Stanford.

I really would have liked to have interviewed there... I don't think I can fight back the tears...

RW,
I hope u r right. I can't imagine why one can't match with 8, even this year.

Ear,

Good move, let someone else at them. You got plenty of great choices! :)

Now, one more invite and I can be 100% satisfied and relaxed (yeah right!).
Oh, that's setting myself up for a rejection!

ear-ache said:
True, part of it was respect - but it was also like trying to decide which one of your children you were going to drop off at the orphanage.

You should drop Utah, I hear its not really even yours. ;)

well i finally purged myself of interviews that i knew i wouldn't have the time or money to go on. it was painful, as i would have liked to have seen some of the programs, but i hope that it opens up space!

Cancelled/declined:

Cornell
Columbia
Mt. Sinai
UCLA
U of Chicago
Rush
UAB
Boston U
Baylor

Just canceled the North Carolina's;
- Wake
- UNC
- Duke

Now down to 11-12 interviews. Much more manageable.