**Official Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2014-2015**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview #5!
UPENN
Didnt see this one coming. January is going to be an interesting month!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Interview #4 at UIC!

Already accepted and put my (nonrefundable) deposit down at Michigan so I am a bit torn as to what to do. I can receive in-state tuition at both schools. I loved UM but really haven't seen what UIC has to offer. I also am currently living in Chicago so it's convenient and there won't be any interview expenses. Ahhhh...

Members don't see this ad :)
It kills me how schools promise during the interview that you'll know something on December 1st (pre-Dec interviewees) then hold your application for another two weeks, only to tell you you've been rejected. With that said:
Rejection #1: Georgia Regents
Waitlisted: University of Florida

No worries. Got to show my Cherry Kool-Aid smile for UAB tomorrow. WHOOP WHOOP!!!

Interview #4 at UIC!

Already accepted and put my (nonrefundable) deposit down at Michigan so I am a bit torn as to what to do. I can receive in-state tuition at both schools. I loved UM but really haven't seen what UIC has to offer. I also am currently living in Chicago so it's convenient and there won't be any interview expenses. Ahhhh...

Theyre all nonrefundable lol.

Looks like you should go. Worse case scenario, you like UIC and lose the deposit on Michigan.

Theyre all nonrefundable lol.

Looks like you should go. Worse case scenario, you like UIC and lose the deposit on Michigan.

MWU-AZ and maybe another one or two are refundable, just FYI. But thanks for the input, I think I agree with you, can't really hurt

Interview #2 at Pittsburgh
But I'll have to decline since the only available date was the day I have my CWRU interview :(

Reactions: 1 users
Interview #2 at Pittsburgh
But I'll have to decline since the only available date was the day I have my CWRU interview :(
I would move your CWRU interview to another date. interviews don't come that easily!

MWU-AZ and maybe another one or two are refundable, just FYI. But thanks for the input, I think I agree with you, can't really hurt

Odd. I dont see anything about refundable deposits in my package.

I would move your CWRU interview to another date. interviews don't come that easily!
That date was the only day available at CWRU that worked with my schedule. I work full time and I'm the only person at my company that can do my job so taking time off is a very difficult and strategic task. Timing is everything. Plus I'm on the east coast of Canada so travelling is expensive so I have to budget my money based on how many Canadians a school usually accepts. That and the fact that the Canadian cycle hasn't even started yet makes me think that saving my money/time for possible future interviews is the best choice for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sent in my letters declining Midwestern-AZ, Minnesota, and Maryland today, So some spots will be opening up at those schools! Declining CWRU this week too (although I absolutely loved the school and it breaks my heart a little bit to do so). Good luck to everyone!!! :D

Reactions: 3 users
Long over due, but here's a summary of the past couple months:

Applied: UMich, OSU, Marquette, Iowa, Pitt, VCU, Buffalo, UCSF, and Colorado
Invited for interview and declined: Buffalo, UCSF, and Colorado
Went to interview: UMich, OSU, Marquette, Iowa, Pitt, VCU
Accepted: all
Will be attending: UMich :love:

Sent in my letters declining Midwestern-AZ, Minnesota, and Maryland today, So some spots will be opening up at those schools! Declining CWRU this week too (although I absolutely loved the school and it breaks my heart a little bit to do so). Good luck to everyone!!! :D

I also had a question, to decline the school did you write a hard copy of a letter or send an email? I'm still trying to figure out how to decline my offers, which is a good problem to have, I guess!

Reactions: 1 user

I also had a question, to decline the school did you write a hard copy of a letter or send an email? I'm still trying to figure out how to decline my offers, which is a good problem to have, I guess!
Most of the schools had a response card with a couple lines to write my reason for declining. One school did not so I sent them a short hard copy letter :)

Does anyone have a handful of schools they are still waiting to hear from?

Honestly, at this point I'd rather just get all the rejections at the same time so I can stop waiting. They've had my application since June 2nd, its been almost 7 months.. what more is there to decide on? :|

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly, at this point I'd rather just get all the rejections at the same time so I can stop waiting. They've had my application since June 2nd, its been almost 7 months.. what more is there to decide on? :|

i felt the same way, but....let's just not lose hope yet....
I feel ya dude...a lot of other dudes/dudettes feel ya as well

stay strong till Jan 1st!

Reactions: 2 users
i felt the same way, but....let's just not lose hope yet....
I feel ya dude...a lot of other dudes/dudettes feel ya as well

stay strong till Jan 1st!

:) is January 1st the day they hand out more interviews/rejections? I've been outta the loop the last week

Accepted to Minnesota! Found out Dec. 1st and couldn't get the deposit check out of my hands fast enough to secure my spot. A little info for those of you who applied to Minnesota and wondered how the acceptance/rejection timeline goes (this is straight from an administrator in the admissions department):

50-60% of acceptances are sent out on Dec. 1st. After that, they see how many rejections they get back while hosting a few more applicants for interviews in Jan. and send out a few more acceptances, too; there's a bit of a lull in Feb., then they send out more acceptances to fill out the class into March and spring time. Interviews are rare after Jan./Feb. They have a profile, or snapshot, of every student that was interviewed and revisit those in the lull of Feb. to fill out the class.

Also, this is coming from a guy who applied three times: seven schools in 2012-2013, eight schools in 2013-2014, and one (Minnesota) in 2014-2015. I was interviewed by Minnesota only during my second application cycle, and then again in the third, of course. DO NOT GIVE UP if this is truly what you want to do. It may take some time, but holy **** do you forget how miserable you were when the acceptance letter comes.

Reactions: 5 users
:) is January 1st the day they hand out more interviews/rejections? I've been outta the loop the last week
I think (correct me those of you who have gotten acceptances) that a lot of schools require their deposits by Jan 1st, so they start handing out more acceptances/interviews after that once they know who's turning down offers.

I think (correct me those of you who have gotten acceptances) that a lot of schools require their deposits by Jan 1st, so they start handing out more acceptances/interviews after that once they know who's turning down offers.

Yeah, pretty close to that. Mine was due Jan. 5th.

Interview #3 at Tufts
Deciding if I want to go since I already got into NYU and Temple.

Interview #4 at VCU on January 12th!

So I am still taking ochem and physics this year...do you guys think this will be detrimental to my acceptance this round considering these classes are still technically pending?:grumpy:
I am still taking physics. I don't think this will be detrimental to you at all. As long as your scores match what the dental schools want and your GPA is good, you should be fine :)

I believe that it's the week that follows the first. Even then, most schools re-evaluate all applicants and then send out more invitations and acceptances.

Reactions: 1 users

well, heard it's the deadline for people who were offered seats to put down their deposit, so more acceptances and more interview offers should come!

What is the general trend on rejections? Like is it possible that some schools can reject you without ever notifying you? Or do most schools let you know...? Should I be calling them?

Just getting so stressed from all of these silent schools!

Just received an acceptance from Maryland!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!

Reactions: 10 users
What is the general trend on rejections? Like is it possible that some schools can reject you without ever notifying you? Or do most schools let you know...? Should I be calling them?

I would like to know the same thing

Acceptance #3 Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6 users

Same here!:(

In my experience, I've been notified by every school that rejected me. When I was rejected after an interview, it was by letter and email, and if I was rejected without an interview, it was by email. I hope no schools reject without notification because, in my opinion, that's unprofessional; sending an email isn't that hard.

Rejection from Nebraska yesterday. At least they were nice about it.

Whatever.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Nebraska and Kentucky rejected.
Iowa deferred.
Interviewed in Nov but no news from Colorado.
No post-Dec interviews so far. I'm getting nervous but feel kinda ready to reapply :(

Just got an interview invitation from Tufts...will be turning it down though.
I wish they had invited me earlier. I really wanted to visit this school again and of course, the city of Boston.

It defers for every school. Like the previous commenter stated a lot of schools will notify you when they make a decision (I appreciate these schools for letting me know ASAP). I also had some schools that did not contact me the whole cycle and then during my first week of dental school I got two rejections from schools that probably never looked over my application.

If there are schools that you are really interested in that haven't contacted you, you should probably get in touch with them. Chances are they put you aside and if you contact them there is a chance they can pull up your file again. It does not hurt to write a letter of interest. This is a passive way to let schools know that you are still considering them. This stage of the game it is a lot about getting students who want to go to the schools. Hope this helps.
You're completely right. I answered the question more in general than commenting on a specific timeline. Schools do vary widely on notifying an applicant when a rejection decision is made.

Like the others have said, it really differs greatly.

If you haven't heard from the school at all for 4-5 months. It is generally safe to assume that they have already tossed your application in the trash.

That being said, there are schools that extend offers even til right before school starts. With those, as long as they haven't told you that you have been rejected, you're still being considered.

Does anyone know if the background check is administered upon acceptance or confirmed admissions? And is there a deadline to complete the background check once notified?

Rejected from Tennessee. Number 6:/

When you guys say Nebraska do you mean creighton?