Official "Interviews Offered" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ATC2MD said:
St. Vincent (Toledo)
St. John (Detroit)
Wright State
Orlando

Add MSU/Kalamazoo & Grand Rapids/Spectrum :)

Members don't see this ad.

Dos Mas today -

Truman
York

YTD:
Wright State
Scott & White
Truman
York

CS_22 said:
Dos Mas today -

Truman
York

YTD:
Wright State
Scott & White
Truman
York

Add Georgetown today. Having a good week!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ill go

1) ORMC
2) Cook County
3) Wright State
4) MLK...
and still no LORs in....

Question about that... when you designate LOR writers am I right in saying that when a letter gets uploaded you can no longer change the name/title and if it isnt uploaded then you can change this info? Im wondering how I can figure out whats going on!

I think most of these have been mentioned, but the following places are giving 'em out:

Texas A&M
Cook County
Brooklyn Hospital
New Jersey Camden/Cooper

Third LOR just got in today...

Good Luck everyone!

Add Hennepin and Regions for me today.

total:

Nebraska
Iowa
Truman/UMKC
ECU
Hennepin
Regions
Mayo

later

submitted a week ago, and if you recall my situation from the other thread, you will be glad to know I got my first invite today from Scott and White, one of my top picks!!

I am from Houston by the way and was really hoping to go do a visiting rotation there and meet the program. But I have to tell you that I have never dealt with a more "difficult" program coordinator and PD in my life. They were not willing to budge even one day on the rotation even though I have excellent stats and told them they were one of my top programs of interest. I hope none of you have to have the pleasure of dealing with them. I hope I do get an interview from them just so I can explain to them why I will be turning it down!! EM is competitive, but lets be serious, its not ortho. Kindness is still appreciated and I can tell you that I got kindness x 10 from the Texas A&M Scott and White program. Its no wonder the myth is perpetuated year after year that UT-Houston is just way too big for their britches. I'll take a smaller non-malignant program over an arrogant academic center any day!

saffron said:
I think most of these have been mentioned, but the following places are giving 'em out:
Brooklyn Hospital
New Jersey Camden/Cooper

QUOTE]

I think my stats (or whatever else PDs are looking for) must suck or something because I have not heard from brooklyn (OR ANY PROGRAMS) yet :scared: :scared: :scared: ....heck, brooklyn hasn't even downloaded my application even though ERAS CAF was submitted on 9/23 and ALL LORs were done on 10/5....in fact, 1/3 of the places I have applied to haven't downloaded my app and the other 2/3 are just sittin' on it since 9/23....

Time to worry? (I know...I know...it's still early, but it would be nice to have atleast 1 under my belt so I can be as excited as everyone else who has interviews lined up already)

Should I start calling places? Or when would be a good time to start calling places? I am new to the "EM world" since my decison to pursue EM was relatively recent so I don't know much about how the EM application "timeline" works, but I have heard from others that EM residencies generally start looking at apps a little later than other fields (especially IM).

Just a little frustrated (and starting to get a little concerned even though I know it's early) :scared: :scared:

Got BIDMC on wednesday.

My total:
BIDMC
Vandy
ORMC

are most programs contacting you via email? are there any out there using snail mail???

another quickie:

I haven't uploaded my school transcript yet... im gonna do it soon b/c it will have my EM grades on it. any of you guys get interviews w/o uploading ur school transcript??

Add Allegheny today

YTD:

Wright State
Scott & White
York, PA
Truman
Georgetown
Allegheny

I've missed the boat on a few that are out there that I'd like to hear from, but I'm happy nonetheless. I think I've heard from some great programs.

CS

Members don't see this ad :)
GiJoe said:
another quickie:

I haven't uploaded my school transcript yet... im gonna do it soon b/c it will have my EM grades on it. any of you guys get interviews w/o uploading ur school transcript??

Yeah, I've received a couple without my transcripts. But, honestly, things kind of took off once my whole application was done (LOR and transcripts too).

Oh, and GiJoe, so far all answers I've received have been by email. So far, the only program I've heard use snail mail is Ohio State.

CS

medlaw06 said:
saffron said:
Brooklyn Hospital
New Jersey Camden/Cooper

QUOTE]

I think my stats (or whatever else PDs are looking for) must suck or something because I have not heard from brooklyn (OR ANY PROGRAMS) yet :scared: :scared: :scared: ....heck, brooklyn hasn't even downloaded my application even though ERAS CAF was submitted on 9/23 and ALL LORs were done on 10/5....in fact, 1/3 of the places I have applied to haven't downloaded my app and the other 2/3 are just sittin' on it since 9/23....

Time to worry? (I know...I know...it's still early, but it would be nice to have atleast 1 under my belt so I can be as excited as everyone else who has interviews lined up already)

Should I start calling places? Or when would be a good time to start calling places? I am new to the "EM world" since my decison to pursue EM was relatively recent so I don't know much about how the EM application "timeline" works, but I have heard from others that EM residencies generally start looking at apps a little later than other fields (especially IM).

Just a little frustrated (and starting to get a little concerned even though I know it's early) :scared: :scared:

I'd probably give it a little bit. Maybe until the middle of the month, but I wouldn't be afraid to call then. Or you can always call one or two now just to find out. You'd hate for there to be a problem with your ERAS and not find out until later on.

Just my opinion though.

CS

Whoa, there. Relax. I wouldn't call anyone until well after November 1. There are a lot of programs that won't review applications until after the Dean's Letter comes out. Even those programs that invite early need a lot of time to sort through applications, and they will still be choosy with who they invite. You have plenty of time and the invititaions will come. Just try to be a little patient.

I don't think we've even started sending out interview invitations yet.

In a rejection e-mail from Henry Ford I got two days ago, they said that they had already filled all their interview slots and had an "excessive" waiting list! :rolleyes:

I guess it just goes to show how differently the programs go about the same process.

Sheerstress said:

In a rejection e-mail from Henry Ford I got two days ago, they said that they had already filled all their interview slots and had an "excessive" waiting list! :rolleyes:

I guess it just goes to show how differently the programs go about the same process.

WTF?? are you kidding me? so what does this mean? If you haven't heard from them, then you probably have an interview?

Interview offers so far:
UT-Houston (rotated in Sept, so interviewed early)
Texas A&M/Scott & White

Application in:
1 LOR from IM
Personal Statement
USMLE Step 1
Transcript with 1 month of EM grades

Good luck everyone!
-Scott, MS4

GiJoe said:
WTF?? are you kidding me? so what does this mean? If you haven't heard from them, then you probably have an interview?

I don't know...here's the text:

Dear Applicant:

I am sorry to inform you that we are unable to grant you an interview for the
2006 entering class in Emergency Medicine at Henry Ford Hospital.

Every year the quality of applicants for Emergency Medicine residencies
continues to rise. This year we have been overwhelmed by an unprecedented
number of outstanding applicants. It is impossible to interview all qualified
persons, as we will interview about 140 persons for our 14 available spots
from a pool of over 600 excellent applicants. Unfortunately, all of our
interview slots are now filled and our waiting list is excessive. Do not view
this as a reflection on your qualifications, but instead on the competitive
nature of our program and the limitation of our interviewing resources.

Thank you again for your interest in our program. We regret that we are
unable to interview you for our program. We wish you success in the Match and
in all your future endeavors.

Sincerely,
Christopher Lewandowski, M.D.
Residency Program Director
Department of Emergency Medicine

Sheerstress said:
I don't know...here's the text:

Dear Applicant:

I am sorry to inform you that we are unable to grant you an interview for the
2006 entering class in Emergency Medicine at Henry Ford Hospital.

Every year the quality of applicants for Emergency Medicine residencies
continues to rise. This year we have been overwhelmed by an unprecedented
number of outstanding applicants. It is impossible to interview all qualified
persons, as we will interview about 140 persons for our 14 available spots
from a pool of over 600 excellent applicants. Unfortunately, all of our
interview slots are now filled and our waiting list is excessive. Do not view
this as a reflection on your qualifications, but instead on the competitive
nature of our program and the limitation of our interviewing resources.

Thank you again for your interest in our program. We regret that we are
unable to interview you for our program. We wish you success in the Match and
in all your future endeavors.

Sincerely,
Christopher Lewandowski, M.D.
Residency Program Director
Department of Emergency Medicine
Yet another reason why you absolutely MUST get your application in as early as possible!

southerndoc said:
I KNOW we haven't. Going through those applications can be like pulling teeth... I sat down one day last week and could only knock out ten applications.

Q

QuinnNSU said:
I KNOW we haven't. Going through those applications can be like pulling teeth... I sat down one day last week and could only knock out ten applications.

Q

Hey Q, is it possible to apply and match in EM at a Florida ACGME program even though it is one of the 5 states? Any chance of getting the intern year approved?

I heard its not even worth applying to Pa programs as a DO because of this same problem.

M

You can get the intern year approved. The only caveat I'd add is that the AOA got stricter this past summer & turned down some applications because the applicant "could have done a nearby Osteo residency." So, don't count on getting an internship year approved by the AOA if you're within about 100 miles of an Osteo program (same specialty).

Question about LORs some schools say they require 3 then is it ok to send 4? Can i just send 4 to everyone? Someone please advise.!!

EctopicFetus said:
Question about LORs some schools say they require 3 then is it ok to send 4? Can i just send 4 to everyone? Someone please advise.!!

I don't see the harm in sending 4....what if 3 are awesome and 1 is above average...if prgrams look at 3, then they'll take the 3 "best"....I am no PD, so I am COMPLETELY guessing on this one....

medlaw06 said:
I don't see the harm in sending 4....what if 3 are awesome and 1 is above average...if prgrams look at 3, then they'll take the 3 "best"....I am no PD, so I am COMPLETELY guessing on this one....

Usually, those are minimum numbers of LOR that are required to complete your application. I think 4 is fine.

Who are the D.O.s interviewing for allo?

Thread jack? Since this thread is very valuable to many of us could you guys perhaps start a new thread? Thanks..

EctopicFetus said:
Thread jack? Since this thread is very valuable to many of us could you guys perhaps start a new thread? Thanks..

I agree, lets keep this thread for interview invites. Interesting thing is to look at this same thread from last year and see the timeframe for interviews. It seems mid October to 1 Nov is when things really start heating up, and then things get really cooking after 01 Nov!

University of Maryland

Boy things have really stayed rather slow here compared to this time last year. My guess is that there must simply be a great majority of programs waiting to offer interviews. Hardly any of the well known programs are showing much representation here yet. Perhaps the few outliers are the people who applied earlier. I just applied exactly 2 weeks ago, and my LOR's just went in over the last few days. Don't be discouraged guys and gals (as I sit here trying to convince myself of such!!). I like to think I have a package now that would warrant an interview from literally any program around, and yet I have only one solitary offer. But I read this thread last year, and I watched as even average applicants started getting overwhelmed with interviews and started cancelling them by Nov 1st or close to it. My predication is that by the end of this week, interview invites will start falling from the sky, and within 2-3 weeks, we will all be knee deep in a blizzard of them. I am spending more time worrying now how I am going to pull off being frugal in my interviews.

Hey, here is an idea!! Anyone else taking December off for interviews? I am seriously considering scheduling mine to where all my east coast ones are on in a 10 day stent, and all my midwest ones are in 1 week or so. I am thinking about driving up and just booking one every day or 2 and driving from place to place. If anyone is interested in sharing some gas money, we could do the "road trip" thing and meet up somewhere along the trail. It woud take some coordination, but when you look at the alternative which is to spend like 10K on airfare and hotels that are not covered, it might prove worth it.

oh and i forgot to mention: i dont have the transcript or any LORs or pretty much anything else up except for my CAF and personal statement. Yeaiii for schools that will interview you on anything! ;) (oh and i'm still waiting on spring semester grades so i cant really submit the transcript till those are in)

University of Maryland today.

later

corpsmanUP said:
My predication is that by the end of this week, interview invites will start falling from the sky, and within 2-3 weeks, we will all be knee deep in a blizzard of them.

Man I hope you are right!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :thumbup: :thumbup:

My self esteem is getting more and more bruised day by pian-stakingly slow day! :mad: :scared: :scared:

U. Michigan today.

I only have 2 LOR's in as well. I think that some of the delay is that a lot of the major programs sent people away for the SAEM conference which many are still catching up from being gone during that time.

I hope that my 2 LOR writers pick it up as I'm starting to get a little letter angst going. :)

Ok, I've no right to be anxious since I literally just submitted my app on 10/7; i WAS wondering however how people are doing scheduling. Are you waiting for more interviews to come in from one part of the country before scheduling so you can schedule them all in one fell swoop or just going one by one as they come in and planning on a lot of flying?

TysonCook said:
U. Michigan today.

I only have 2 LOR's in as well. I think that some of the delay is that a lot of the major programs sent people away for the SAEM conference which many are still catching up from being gone during that time.

I hope that my 2 LOR writers pick it up as I'm starting to get a little letter angst going. :)

hey tysoncook....dude...that has to be 1 of the funniest avatars I've seen...where the hell did you get that!?!?! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

[now we'll go back to our regularly scheduled postings]

2 more today!

Orlando
Temple

Truman today.

Scott and White, Texas A&M
UMKC, Truman

Wake Forest
Richmond (VCU)

CS_22 said:
Add Allegheny today

YTD:

Wright State
Scott & White
York, PA
Truman
Georgetown
Allegheny

I've missed the boat on a few that are out there that I'd like to hear from, but I'm happy nonetheless. I think I've heard from some great programs.

CS

Add Cooper this AM

YTD

Wright State
Scott & White
York, PA
Truman
Georgetown
Allegheny
Cooper

Grand Rapids today. All praise to God!

North Shore, Long Island this morning.