Forum Members Official: Job Offer Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Look everyone I am a fellowship trained reconstructive foot and ankle surgeon on LinkedIn....but really podiatrist

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Look everyone I am a fellowship trained reconstructive foot and ankle surgeon on LinkedIn....but really podiatrist

Well either way you slice it, the pods at that hospital convinced management that only other fellowship trained pods are worthy of doing surgery there. The ole podiatry eating its young.

Reminds me of this...
1660758675110.png

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Help. Anesthesiologist today told me she wants to encourage her daughter to consider podiatry as a career. I didn’t know what to say behind the drapes.

Help. Anesthesiologist today told me she wants to encourage her daughter to consider podiatry as a career. I didn’t know what to say behind the drapes.
Sadly, not all parents love their children.

In other news.

My kid (3 y/o): Daddy, you are a foot doctor?
Me: I'm obligated to tell you I'm a foot and ankle surgeon.
My kid: Ankle? No. You are a foot doctor.

Should have just told him I was a podiatrist. That's on me.

Reactions: 1 users
Sadly, not all parents love their children.

In other news.

My kid (3 y/o): Daddy, you are a foot doctor?
Me: I'm obligated to tell you I'm a foot and ankle surgeon.
My kid: Ankle? No. You are a foot doctor.

Should have just told him I was a podiatrist. That's on me.
My kid told me to go back to school and learn the whole body. 😒

Reactions: 2 users

Next time you’re doing a case just blurt out “ah fork, what tendon is this again? I knew I should’ve gone for that Caribbean MD instead. Oh well. “

• Haha
Fellowship!
Some VA jobs are now wanting fellows......it is official now, 7 years is not enough

Preferred Experience:
    • Board certification by The American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery &/or American Board of Podiatric Medicine
    • Fellowship training
    • At least 5 years in practice

Some VA jobs are now wanting fellows......it is official now, 7 years is not enough

Preferred Experience:
    • Board certification by The American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery &/or American Board of Podiatric Medicine
    • Fellowship training
    • At least 5 years in practice
Lol, 5+yrs and fellowship. There were hardly any fellowships available 6 years ago... much less any more than just a few worth possibly doing.
At least they also have real criteria like ABFAS qual/cert or case logs or exp... and they say "preferred" not required?

Job search steps:
1 find target area(s)
2 call friends, network with attendings you know, etc... create some visits or discussions and network some more
3 call area hospitals to gauge interest, call ortho/msg/pod groups as desired
4 tie up loose ends at current job
5 work on hobbies
6 hit gym
7 do some CME
8 work on dating/relationship
9 check classified ads as last resort for jobs that'll have way too many apps or already be long gone or just formality postings
10 rinse and repeat
11 skip all above steps and just grab an amazing job with 9 figure sign bonus among your dozen choices of such *** if you did a fellowhip

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Hi all, I'm going to get this thread back on track in a positive way. Current 3rd year resident, just finalized a contract Friday with a regional hospital about 30 minutes from a nice city of 50,000. Has less than 100 beds, only about 1/3rd of the beds are ever really full

3 year contact
Base salary of $250,000 with RVU bonus threshold
$20,000 signing bonus with $1000/month residency stipend
$20,000 per year student loan forgiveness

Has 5 ORs, wound care center. The previous podiatrist was seeing about 25 or so patients per day with 0.5 days of block OR time and 0.5 days for admin time. Very excited about this opportunity. I have been grinding job postings and sending out cold call emails since early in my second year and to see it all finally come to a close has been such a great feeling. Whether you know it or not, a lot of you frequent posters have been a huge influence on me throughout the years. If you are a frequent poster here, I just want to thank you in advance for all your tips, tricks, and advice to landing solid jobs. My senior residents and attendings were very helpful in the process too. Listen to your elders advice (sometimes, within reason)

Some of you may be asking yourself, how is this possible when I am not fellowship trained in microvascular repair with a secondary focus on nerve anastomosis? Well, I must just be extremely lucky!

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Hi all, I'm going to get this thread back on track in a positive way. Current 3rd year resident, just finalized a contract Friday with a regional hospital about 30 minutes from a nice city of 50,000. Has less than 100 beds, only about 1/3rd of the beds are ever really full

3 year contact

Has 5 ORs, wound care center. The previous podiatrist was seeing about 25 or so patients per day with 0.5 days of block OR time and 0.5 days for admin time. Very excited about this opportunity. I have been grinding job postings and sending out cold call emails since early in my second year and to see it all finally come to a close has been such a great feeling. Whether you know it or not, a lot of you frequent posters have been a huge influence on me throughout the years. If you are a frequent poster here, I just want to thank you in advance for all your tips, tricks, and advice to landing solid jobs. My senior residents and attendings were very helpful in the process too. Listen to your elders advice (sometimes, within reason)

Some of you may be asking yourself, how is this possible when I am not fellowship trained in microvascular repair with a secondary focus on nerve anastomosis? Well, I must just be extremely lucky!

The truth is that yes you are lucky, as at least half of your classmates will take unbelievably crappy jobs at pod private practices for half of what you are making and awful benefits.

Also step back for a second and look at the journey you went through for this job. Over a year of searching to land a job where they pay doesn’t suck… only to end up in the middle of nowhere.

This is something that prospective candidates need to be well aware of.

Reactions: 4 users

3 year contact

What's a residency stipend? They are paying you $1000/month currently until the end of your residency? That's another $10-11K signing bonus on top of the $20K right? Pretty sweet, congrats. Hope you like where you'll be living, but yeah that job sounds pretty great (especially right outta residency).

Members don't see this ad :)
The truth is that yes you are lucky, as at least half of your classmates will take unbelievably crappy jobs at pod private practices for half of what you are making and awful benefits.

Also step back for a second and look at the journey you went through for this job. Over a year of searching to land a job where they pay doesn’t suck… only to end up in the middle of nowhere.

I wanted to be more rural. Didn't restrict myself too much

What's a residency stipend? They are paying you $1000/month currently until the end of your residency? That's another $10-11K signing bonus on top of the $20K right? Pretty sweet, congrats. Hope you like where you'll be living, but yeah that job sounds pretty great (especially right outta residency).
Yes, that's what a stipend is. Kinda like retainer money so I don't go looking elsewhere

3rd year resident here. Yup any hospital job I’ve talked to or have been reached out about has been literally middle of nowhere….
Vs stay in decent area close to family and friends and start low and work your way up… tough decision to make

I know lot of people here have it much worse than me and I agree that PP job market is horrendous. However I do want to share my experience here which seems to be different than many posters here.

My first job has been hospital employed and pays well but I am burned out. So started looking elsewhere last 8 months or so.

I was offered two other hospital jobs that were close to $300k and $55 per wRVU in major cities. This seemed very high.

I was offered another position that was in major city but was a director position that was $325k but was able to negotiate up to $340k. Not based on wRVU.

I also was offered three different VA jobs all paying $200k annually and were very easy jobs.

All in all I had six incredible offers better than my current job.

I am 5 years out of training now. My career trajectory has been academic centers and do limb salvage and do lot of charcots and flaps. Also do general podiatry. Don't do any trauma.

I wanted to share this experience which seems to be vastly different than posters here and honestly I was surprised I had so many job offers that I thought were very good offers.

I took the director job and so far so good.

Best of luck to everyone but if you can get your foot in the door at an academic center and start publishing and be patient I think you'll do well financially and have a career that is satisfying. However watch out for early burnout with wRVU/hospital gigs. Take it slow and be patient. High opportunity cost to think about if you end up quitting early because you are burnt out.

Reactions: 5 users

3 year contact

Hi!
I'm a second year podiatry resident. I've been told to start looking at the beginning of 3rd year. Would you recommend looking earlier for a job? Did you just google or were there websites you used that you don't mind sharing?

I hear Private Practice is offers suck right now. How about being the owner of a private practice, is that still pay or is that also an 80K job? Highly considering going out and either buying or starting from scratch.

Last edited:
Hi!
I'm a second year podiatry resident. I've been told to start looking at the beginning of 3rd year. Would you recommend looking earlier for a job? Did you just google or were there websites you used that you don't mind sharing?
I started building my profile and sent out resumes starting day 1 of 2nd year and all into 3rd year. I had a few phone interviews during my second year but I knew they would not likely hire a second year. It was still good interview practice. I would not wait to start as a 3rd year

Websites I used were the APMA career center (mostly PP jobs), PodiatryCareers.org (mix of PP, group, and hospital), and PracticeLink (almost 100% hospital, this was the best website)

When you make profiles on these websites, recruiters sometimes reach out to you about jobs that aren't even listed. That's what happened in my situation

I also sent out A LOT of emails to random hospitals in geographic areas I liked. I got a few bites this way but not many

I started building my profile and sent out resumes starting day 1 of 2nd year and all into 3rd year. I had a few phone interviews during my second year but I knew they would not likely hire a second year. It was still good interview practice. I would not wait to start as a 3rd year

Websites I used were the APMA career center (mostly PP jobs), PodiatryCareers.org (mix of PP, group, and hospital), and PracticeLink (almost 100% hospital, this was the best website)

When you make profiles on these websites, recruiters sometimes reach out to you about jobs that aren't even listed. That's what happened in my situation

I also sent out A LOT of emails to random hospitals in geographic areas I liked. I got a few bites this way but not many
Thank you for replying to me! I don't know why all my attendings have told me to start applying in third year but your method makes way more sense!

3 year contact

What region of the country?

Hi!

Honestly cold calling places and being persistent does wonders.

I cold called a private practice that didn't have a classified ad, and got a great offer. Practices that post for ads usually want someone who can come onboard relatively quick, so you'll probably get better responses later in residency. But there's usually a ton of applicants, so you won't have much negotiating power.

Side note: Also highly recommend looking up podiatrists who used to work there (if looking at private practices) and ask them about it. They'll be pretty candid with you. I thought I had a golden ticket but contacted someone who used to work there and told me horror stories with red flags everywhere, and even gave me contact info for the previous office manager of the practice who said the same things.

I hear Private Practice is offers suck right now. How about being the owner of a private practice, is that still pay or is that also an 80K job? Highly considering going out and either buying or starting from scratch.
Just know that being an owner, your starting income is $0 and the sky is the limit. You pay yourself last so it could be $0 or $500K or a Mill. Depends entirely on how successful a practice you have.

Just know that being an owner, your starting income is $0 and the sky is the limit. You pay yourself last so it could be $0 or $500K or a Mill. Depends entirely on how successful a practice you have.

i guess my question becomes, where do people learn to start or run a practice. It seems like I can go out and get a job for 80k a year from a podiatrist to learn how to run a practice but I'd rather just start my own or consider buying one and continue living in my parent's basement. I guess if I were planning to buy one how does one even go about that? Do most practices go under, I'm honestly happy making just 200k and running a practice.

Yeah I have some thoughts to share on life in the middle of nowhere.....

i guess my question becomes, where do people learn to start or run a practice. It seems like I can go out and get a job for 80k a year from a podiatrist to learn how to run a practice but I'd rather just start my own or consider buying one and continue living in my parent's basement. I guess if I were planning to buy one how does one even go about that? Do most practices go under, I'm honestly happy making just 200k and running a practice.
This is what I did. I worked as associate before going solo. I learned a lot working under someone especially billing and coding.

This is what I did. I worked as associate before going solo. I learned a lot working under someone especially billing and coding.

It seems like this is the route most people take. I wouldn't mind going out on my own right after residency though. What do you think is the best way to attempt to do that in terms of learning resources? Really don't want to take a PP job with a podiatrist who is going to pay me like a resident when I can get a start on my own PP.

It seems like this is the route most people take. I wouldn't mind going out on my own right after residency though. What do you think is the best way to attempt to do that in terms of learning resources? Really don't want to take a PP job with a podiatrist who is going to pay me like a resident when I can get a start on my own PP.
If I had to be in PP then I wouldn't work for any podiatrists and just learn the stuff on my own. One of my former class mates took a healthdrive type job right out of residency and open his own office a few days a week. Then slowly phased out that job’s hours until he was doing his practice full time.

Last edited:
You won't find a bank that will be willing to give you a loan with no experience fresh out of residency. Or if you do, the interest will be horrible and they won't offer enough to get everything you need to open a successful practice. I kicked the tires on doing this myself last year and any reputable bank told me no dice unless I had at least one year experience in practice outside of residency.

Also, they wont give you a loan until you actually graduate from residency. So you can't even get the ball rolling until July when you finish PGY-3. So that's 6-12 months physically building your practice with no real income unless you do home care/nursing home part time work to help fill in that gap.

You won't find a bank that will be willing to give you a loan with no experience fresh out of residency. Or if you do, the interest will be horrible and they won't offer enough to get everything you need to open a successful practice. I kicked the tires on doing this myself last year and any reputable bank told me no dice unless I had at least one year experience in practice outside of residency.

Also, they wont give you a loan until you actually graduate from residency. So you can't even get the ball rolling until July when you finish PGY-3. So that's 6-12 months physically building your practice with no real income unless you do home care/nursing home part time work to help fill in that gap.

Wow that’s great to know. This definitely fuels my conviction to open a podiatry associate mill especially with this new school opening. Guaranteed yearly fresh supply of suckers for 85k/yr that I can make a ton of money off of. I love it.

Maybe the low admission rate and low student census at the schools was because of this highly informative thread.

I guess I should say I have the finances to open a practice since this is my second career and had money saved from prior. I wouldn't necessarily need a loan but I would likely have to take side jobs to make some income to continue supporting myself. How did you go about planning on opening a practice?

I guess I should say I have the finances to open a practice since this is my second career and had money saved from prior. I wouldn't necessarily need a loan but I would likely have to take side jobs to make some income to continue supporting myself. How did you go about planning on opening a practice?
Most either:

1. Have family money or a spouse that can support them with low to no income for a few months to years.

2. Have help from a hospital if remote location. Some hospitals still prefer to assist physicians in opening their practice and not employee them.

3. Loans from a bank or SBA seem to be very difficult for a podiatry startup.

4. Some also buy an existing practice, especially young married podiatrists, but be very, very careful if considering .

Having some money saved is nice to help open a practice, but how will you live on unpredictable cash flow? You better have a spouse, parents basement to live in or a side hustle like nursing homes.

Really the most common way people do this is while being an associate for a couple years, and not buying a house or new car they plan their escape from "jail".

Funding the start up isn’t as much the issue when opening a practice right out of residency. You can get loans and lines of credit from banks and local credit unions. I think the larger hurdle is just having no idea what you are doing from a credentialing, coding, billing, workflow, staffing, managing inventory, etc. standpoint. Now you can pay people to help and do a lot of this for you, but now you are talking opening up shop with potentially high overhead and little revenue. You can burn through money really quickly.

If you want to start your own practice right out of residency you better start spending hours outside of your training learning from anyone with a private practice willing to teach you. You will be lucky to get some good billing and coding education while in residency and you will get virtually zero business/practice management/insurance credentialing education while in residency. You have to seek it out and be ready to run a business basically immediately upon graduation. Even if I was determined to start my own practice while in residency, I wouldn’t have any issue being an associate for two years, stealing as much good info/knowledge/policies/paperwork/etc. I could get while making more money than I would cutting nails, and work on starting my own practice in the meantime.

Experienced private business owners are free to correct me, but conventional wisdom has always been to risk the bank’s money and not your own because bank loans can be discharged in bankruptcy should you fail. You can’t recover lost savings in bankruptcy. No one plans to fail, but times are strange and hard to predict.

At the end of the day, being an associate for the short term opens you up for bank loans and it also allows you to to learn how to bill and code on someone else’s dime. If you can find a great associate gig that can lead into ownership great, if not it’s only a year or two. Think of it as a fellowship that pays better and actually teaches you something useful.

Talked to one guy yesterday who started up with 20k 2 years ago. Now seeing about 75 patients a week. Talked with another who started with 30k. No employees. He is doing EVERYTHING. Could pay the bills month 2. Now 6 months in. Seeing 30 patients a week. Thinks he is getting to the point of having to hire someone. Both worked for other pods for years. One said he made 125k a year, estimates owner made about 500k a year off him.

Talked to one guy yesterday who started up with 20k 2 years ago. Now seeing about 75 patients a week. Talked with another who started with 30k. No employees. He is doing EVERYTHING. Could pay the bills month 2. Now 6 months in. Seeing 30 patients a week. Thinks he is getting to the point of having to hire someone. Both worked for other pods for years. One said he made 125k a year, estimates owner made about 500k a year off him.

Geez thats not bad honestly. Are they running a profit, I'm guessing at 75 you are but not with 30 but thats still not bad considering it's been half a year.

Geez thats not bad honestly. Are they running a profit, I'm guessing at 75 you are but not with 30 but thats still not bad considering it's been half a year.
Uh 75 patients per week = 250k/yr easy with a mismanaged practice and high overhead.

This is correct. No credible bank or credit union will loan you money for a business without having experience in such business. This is not only peculiar for podiatry or medical practice but any industry e.g Getting a business loan to open a pizza shop, you better have experience working and making pizza or getting a business loan to start a plumbing company, the bank wants to see that you have actually worked as a plumber and have experience in the plumbing industry.

For a business loan, any bank will need a business plan/proposal, financial projection, down payment/financial equity, etc. An SBA loan even has more paperwork to qualify (and takes longer) although the interest rate will be lower once approved.

This is the way to go about it but then again you can't run clinic by yourself or with one staff if you don't have the experience as an associate.

I am also almost 2 years into my solo practice and seeing about 65-70 patients a week (4 clinic days a week) with 2 staff and currently about to add a 3rd staff. And to anyone wondering, my income (not revenue) is about 3x of what I will be making if I was an associate seeing 100+ patients a week.

Reactions: 5 users
Look at this job I just got emailed about...read it carefully

Good day! This is Rowie from HDA MD STAFF. I hope this email finds you well. I'm working with the facilities looking Podiatry Physician in MO.

--------
Shift Description: 7 hr shifts; onsite starting at 8 am; September 26, 28 October 4,6,11
MANDATED Job Requirements: Active Missouri license Required, BC or BE
looking for a locum/locum to perm Podiatrist.

Job Description:

Practice setting: Assisted living
Dates of coverage: Sept 26, 28; October 4, 6, 11. 7 hrs/day starting 8 am onsite
Average number of Patients a day: 16-19
Documentation System/EMR: AdvancedMD
Fellowship training not required: No surgery performed
Treatments required: wart removal, ingrown toenails, soft tissue lesions, strains/sprains, preventive foot care for diabetes, biopsy for skin lesions, ultrasound assisted injection therapy including PRP therapy, nerve block for chronic foot pain.
Surgical procedures required: toenail surgeries, removal of foreign bodies, epidermal nerve fiber density skin biopsy for Neuropathy.
Est 3 weeks or less for credentialing
Open to locum or locum to perm placement

Rate: Will be discussed over the phone.
----------------

Who the hell is doing PRP injections, nerve blocks and nerve biopsies in assisted living facilities?!?!? What kind of company expects these procedures to be done?!?!?

So. Much. Fraud.

Go get them @ExperiencedDPM

Oh wow, no fellowship training required. job sounds intense though. I might need to do a skills course to brush up on my Akimbo dual wielding dremel skills.

This is correct. No credible bank or credit union will loan you money for a business without having experience in such business. This is not only peculiar for podiatry or medical practice but any industry e.g Getting a business loan to open a pizza shop, you better have experience working and making pizza or getting a business loan to start a plumbing company, the bank wants to see that you have actually worked as a plumber and have experience in the plumbing industry.

For a business loan, any bank will need a business plan/proposal, financial projection, down payment/financial equity, etc. An SBA loan even has more paperwork to qualify (and takes longer) although the interest rate will be lower once approved.

If I work for health drive while trying to start my own shop for like a year, will that potentially qualify me for a loan or do I HAVE to work under someone in an associate position in a PP?

If I work for health drive while trying to start my own shop for like a year, will that potentially qualify me for a loan or do I HAVE to work under someone in an associate position in a PP?
Healthdrive is a complete scam. When I was inbetween hospital jobs I worked for them just to keep busy. They are unbelievably controlling when it comes to billing and you have a biller basically telling you how to write your note during the "training" phase. A non medical person telling you how document your own notes. The only time you bill E/M is on a brand new patient. Everything else is nail and callus CPTs.

Lastly, you only get to collect 30% of what you bill. All the facilities are disorganized. If the new patient's medical history, social history, med list is not pre-loaded into their EMR then you literally have to go through their medical records and enter it manually. This is something a medical assistant would be doing for you in your clinic but as a "physician" working for healthdrive these tasks are up to the physician to do.

I quit after a month because I ended up getting a locums contract. But overall it was a bad experience. The 30% of your collections from level 1 E/Ms, nail and calluses CPTs is an insulting compensation.

• Sad
Healthdrive is a complete scam. When I was inbetween hospital jobs I worked for them just to keep busy. They are unbelievably controlling when it comes to billing and you have a biller basically telling you how to write your note during the "training" phase. A non medical person telling you how document your own notes. The only time you bill E/M is on a brand new patient. Everything else is nail and callus CPTs.

Lastly, you only get to collect 30% of what you bill. All the facilities are disorganized. If the new patient's medical history, social history, med list is not pre-loaded into their EMR then you literally have to go through their medical records and enter it manually. This is something a medical assistant would be doing for you in your clinic but as a "physician" working for healthdrive these tasks are up to the physician to do.

I quit after a month because I ended up getting a locums contract. But overall it was a bad experience. The 30% of your collections from level 1 E/Ms, nail and calluses CPTs is an insulting compensation.

Is that 30% negotiable at all?

Also, were you 1099 or W2? That 30% as a 1099 is an even worse deal because then you have to pay both sides of Medicare/SS taxes.

Facility fee schedule in my locality
11720 - $14
11721 - $23
11055 - $15
11056 - $22

Props to people doing what they have to do to make money / stay in business but getting 30% of this while some massive conglomerate keeps 70% is just unbelievable. This used to be a service that podiatrists just did on the side as a hustle.

Facility fee schedule in my locality
11720 - $14
11721 - $23
11055 - $15
11056 - $22

Props to people doing what they have to do to make money / stay in business but getting 30% of this while some massive conglomerate keeps 70% is just unbelievable. This used to be a service that podiatrists just did on the side as a hustle.
exactly healthdrive is terrible. TERRIBLE