*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my science LORs will be from my bio professor who also is a director of the center I'm working at. He has multiple titles, when I search him on my schools website, it says "Prof., Chief"
Should I put "Prof., Chief" as a title for the LOR. Should I specify his specialty? He is a professor of medicine, and a chief of a research center with a long name, so honestly can't fit all of that.

sorry for such a tedious question

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Another question

If I'm using Interfolio, is it necessary to ask letter writers to attach a letter request form (the one we print from amcas) to the letter before uploading to interfolio?

Another question

If I'm using Interfolio, is it necessary to ask letter writers to attach a letter request form (the one we print from amcas) to the letter before uploading to interfolio?
No. They just need the letter ID from Interfolio only.

When you send the letter from Interfolio to AMCAS, YOU will be able to attach the letter ID that AMCAS gave it on there, so that AMCAS knows which letter it is. You will also be able to attach your AMCAS ID to it. All of this is done in Interfolio.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my science LORs will be from my bio professor who also is a director of the center I'm working at. He has multiple titles, when I search him on my schools website, it says "Prof., Chief"
Should I put "Prof., Chief" as a title for the LOR. Should I specify his specialty? He is a professor of medicine, and a chief of a research center with a long name, so honestly can't fit all of that.

sorry for such a tedious question

thanks

Go with whatever describes the capacity in which he knows you primarily.

Hey everyone, I was having some dilemmas regarding my LORs. Any advice would be much appreciated. I only have 3 letters. One from medical volunteering, research, and 1 science professor I had 2 classes with. I know its lacking an additional science letter and non-science letter, but since I've been out of school for a few years its the best I have for this cycle without risking a weak letter. I was wondering if I should include a LOR from the youth pastor at my church. I've been reading differing opinions on this. I'm quite involved and have talked about it in some of my essays. He's known me for 4 years. I planned on asking him to talk about my leadership qualities and participation (organizing events, tutoring kids, etc) rather than religious topics. Good idea? Second, for Loma Linda, it would be beneficial for the letter to talk about religious aspects. Can the AMCAS LOR service accept more than one letter from the same person? (so I can send most schools a letter without religious topics and Loma Linda a different one) thank you thank you!

Hello Everyone,

First, let me apologize in advance if this question has been addressed before or posted in the wrong section. For schools that require 2 Science LORs...I had the same professor for the entire Organic Chemistry Sequence (2 semsters+a 2 credit Lab), do I still need a second letter since this Professor had me for the whole year?

On a differnet note, I am a non-traditional student. Just submitted my AMCAS on 8/1/2011. Transcripts received on 8/3/2011. How long do you all think it will take to verify? Based on your posts, anywhere from a few days to about 4 weeks. Right now I am studying for the late August MCAT and working full time. I lack some of the traditional ECs but have more than 7 years of healthcare experience. GPA is 3.84 from undergrad with a major in Biology and English.

Hey mauberely (or whoever's reading).

Background: I did some work at a hospital and the clinical pharmacist and pharmacy supervisor highly recommended me to a doctor, who I will be working with. I plan on asking them for a LOR as they are all enthusiastic about working with me. As I am only allowed 10 letters (6, realistically) having 3 LOR from the same place is a "waste", per se. So I wanted to have them write a single letter, combined, and 3 sigs on the bottom.

But....how long should it be? I found this post.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11022448&highlight=length#post11022448

Would a page really be enough for three people? A paragraph each, probably single spaced? Would it look better as a page and a half, or two pages (that's really stretching it) or should I just ask for 1 page combined and have three signatures?

I also have to sign up for / figure out how Interfolio works. My school has a commitee so...

Hey mauberely (or whoever's reading).

Background: I did some work at a hospital and the clinical pharmacist and pharmacy supervisor highly recommended me to a doctor, who I will be working with. I plan on asking them for a LOR as they are all enthusiastic about working with me. As I am only allowed 10 letters (6, realistically) having 3 LOR from the same place is a "waste", per se. So I wanted to have them write a single letter, combined, and 3 sigs on the bottom.

But....how long should it be? I found this post.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11022448&highlight=length#post11022448

Would a page really be enough for three people? A paragraph each, probably single spaced? Would it look better as a page and a half, or two pages (that's really stretching it) or should I just ask for 1 page combined and have three signatures?

I also have to sign up for / figure out how Interfolio works. My school has a commitee so...

A clear and concise letter should be doable in the space of one page. Think "resume."

Hello Everyone,

First, let me apologize in advance if this question has been addressed before or posted in the wrong section. For schools that require 2 Science LORs...I had the same professor for the entire Organic Chemistry Sequence (2 semsters+a 2 credit Lab), do I still need a second letter since this Professor had me for the whole year?

On a differnet note, I am a non-traditional student. Just submitted my AMCAS on 8/1/2011. Transcripts received on 8/3/2011. How long do you all think it will take to verify? Based on your posts, anywhere from a few days to about 4 weeks. Right now I am studying for the late August MCAT and working full time. I lack some of the traditional ECs but have more than 7 years of healthcare experience. GPA is 3.84 from undergrad with a major in Biology and English.

Having two letters is not about length of time, but having independent perspectives and corroboration of your academic potential. That having been said, exceptions may be possible because of your non-traditional status. Ultimately, you should inquire with each of the schools you're interested in to confirm if having a single letter might be sufficient. You may wish to offer another letter in place of a second science letter.

For your question about verification, check last year's AMCAS verification thread (which should be linked to in one of the pre-allo stickies) for what people were reporting at this time of year.

Hey everyone, I was having some dilemmas regarding my LORs. Any advice would be much appreciated. I only have 3 letters. One from medical volunteering, research, and 1 science professor I had 2 classes with. I know its lacking an additional science letter and non-science letter, but since I've been out of school for a few years its the best I have for this cycle without risking a weak letter. I was wondering if I should include a LOR from the youth pastor at my church. I've been reading differing opinions on this. I'm quite involved and have talked about it in some of my essays. He's known me for 4 years. I planned on asking him to talk about my leadership qualities and participation (organizing events, tutoring kids, etc) rather than religious topics. Good idea? Second, for Loma Linda, it would be beneficial for the letter to talk about religious aspects. Can the AMCAS LOR service accept more than one letter from the same person? (so I can send most schools a letter without religious topics and Loma Linda a different one) thank you thank you!

1) I think it might be a useful letter to include.
2) Yes, the AMCAS letter service does not impose any restrictions on accepting more than one letter from the same writer. You would simply create a letter entry for each letter this person would write.

A clear and concise letter should be doable in the space of one page. Think "resume."

Perfect. I'll ask them to contribute about a paragraph each.

Another thing is, I'm getting a committee letter. I have worked in three labs thus and will be getting LOR's (hopefully....99%) and one is an MD/PhD. Aside from the committee letter should I request one specifically to stand out?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) I think it might be a useful letter to include.
2) Yes, the AMCAS letter service does not impose any restrictions on accepting more than one letter from the same writer. You would simply create a letter entry for each letter this person would write.

Thanks! Very much appreciated

Has anyone heard from a letter writer that the system for uploading a letter to AMCAS is frustrating? I use Internet Explorer 9.0 which is not supported by AAMC despite information on the website to the contrary. I'm going to have to use snail mail.... I can only hope I'm not the only one and this is not handicapping "my applicant" (one of my grad students).

I didnt realize that med school have a limit on how many letters you can send. I assigned 7 to a school, which recommends not more than 6. They are all strong letters related to the many long term experiences I have had throughout my undergrad. What should I do? Would the med school reject me for not complying? I saw you can assign letters on your secondary? Even though I assigned 7 through amcas and entered 6 of them on the secondary would that solve the issue?

I didnt realize that med school have a limit on how many letters you can send. I assigned 7 to a school, which recommends not more than 6. They are all strong letters related to the many long term experiences I have had throughout my undergrad. What should I do? Would the med school reject me for not complying? I saw you can assign letters on your secondary? Even though I assigned 7 through amcas and entered 6 of them on the secondary would that solve the issue?

Yes, they'll likely just ignore the letter that was not indicated on your secondary.

Hey, August is half over and both of the physicians (plan A and plan B) and the PI I did my senior thesis with (and taught some classes) have yet to submit their letters. I have 3 letters already...2 science faculty, but only one taught a class I was in...the other was the professor that I was a lab manager for. I also have a letter from someone at my current job.

What should I do? Will med schools not accept the fact that I only have one letter from a faculty (that taught me science)? I really don't have any other options for professors that taught me science, as I only have a good relationship with two. I mean, to be fair, the one from my current job is someone that I did a (for credit) internship with....so she kind of taught me science, but I don't think that would count.

And what about the doctors? Should I just submit the committee letter without them, as well?

Sorry if my wording is a tad convoluted...

Hi all,

So I sent in my primary app a while ago and my premedical committee has already uploaded my letter packet (no committee letter). I recently obtained a new letter of recommendation from a science professor and I want to include it even though it won't be in the letter packet. Do I have to resubmit my AMCAS for this letter to be accepted by medical schools? If so, does the resubmission negate any advantage I got by applying early (i.e. if the letter is mailed in late September, does that put me in the same position as someone who sent in their primary in late September)? I'm hoping that they'll still consider my application complete and read this letter as an addendum, but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

Hi all,

So I sent in my primary app a while ago and my premedical committee has already uploaded my letter packet (no committee letter). I recently obtained a new letter of recommendation from a science professor and I want to include it even though it won't be in the letter packet. Do I have to resubmit my AMCAS for this letter to be accepted by medical schools? If so, does the resubmission negate any advantage I got by applying early (i.e. if the letter is mailed in late September, does that put me in the same position as someone who sent in their primary in late September)? I'm hoping that they'll still consider my application complete and read this letter as an addendum, but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

Yes, you have to resubmit (technically "recertify") for the letter to be transmitted to schools. As to what effect that would have on the order of consideration of your app... we'd only be speculating. Just send the new letter and don't worry about what's out of your control.

Hey, August is half over and both of the physicians (plan A and plan B) and the PI I did my senior thesis with (and taught some classes) have yet to submit their letters. I have 3 letters already...2 science faculty, but only one taught a class I was in...the other was the professor that I was a lab manager for. I also have a letter from someone at my current job.

What should I do? Will med schools not accept the fact that I only have one letter from a faculty (that taught me science)? I really don't have any other options for professors that taught me science, as I only have a good relationship with two. I mean, to be fair, the one from my current job is someone that I did a (for credit) internship with....so she kind of taught me science, but I don't think that would count.

And what about the doctors? Should I just submit the committee letter without them, as well?

Sorry if my wording is a tad convoluted...

What do the physicians' letters have to do with your committee letter? Are you submitting a committee letter or submitting individual letters? Schools generally accept either a committee letter or individual letters, and certainly do not require both.

Has anyone heard from a letter writer that the system for uploading a letter to AMCAS is frustrating? I use Internet Explorer 9.0 which is not supported by AAMC despite information on the website to the contrary. I'm going to have to use snail mail.... I can only hope I'm not the only one and this is not handicapping "my applicant" (one of my grad students).

I'm guessing from the dearth of responses that no one's ever heard complaints from their letter writers.

It's a hassle, certainly, but you could always temporarily install another supported browser alongside IE 9--there's a site where you can download older browsers that should be easily Googlable.

Why not just use a different browser? Or downgrade?

What do the physicians' letters have to do with your committee letter? Are you submitting a committee letter or submitting individual letters? Schools generally accept either a committee letter or individual letters, and certainly do not require both.

I was going to include them in the committee letter. They said that would be ok to do...should I not have done that? And is there anything I could do about the science faculty dilemma? Should I just submit without his letter?

Yes, you have to resubmit (technically "recertify") for the letter to be transmitted to schools. As to what effect that would have on the order of consideration of your app... we'd only be speculating. Just send the new letter and don't worry about what's out of your control.

But I'm so good at worrying about what's out of my control. Anyways, thanks for the quick response!

I was going to include them in the committee letter. They said that would be ok to do...should I not have done that? And is there anything I could do about the science faculty dilemma? Should I just submit without his letter?

Here's my point: if you have a committee letter (note that this is NOT a packet of individual letters), it takes the place of submitting individual letters. I still don't understand what you are planning.

The separate issue of having letters from physicians: the wisdom around here is that such letters are not very valuable.

Here's my point: if you have a committee letter (note that this is NOT a packet of individual letters), it takes the place of submitting individual letters. I still don't understand what you are planning.

The separate issue of having letters from physicians: the wisdom around here is that such letters are not very valuable.

Ahh, really? My school attaches the individual letters to the committee letter. So would it be Ok to just have them submit without the extra science letter? IE, committee letter doesn't need to have the 2 sci/1 non-sci requirement?

And should I just forget about the physician letters? I wanted the DO to give me one for the DO schools, at least.

Ahh, really? My school attaches the individual letters to the committee letter. So would it be Ok to just have them submit without the extra science letter? IE, committee letter doesn't need to have the 2 sci/1 non-sci requirement?

And should I just forget about the physician letters? I wanted the DO to give me one for the DO schools, at least.

Yes, you can submit without the extra science letter. The attached letters to a committee letter are considered supplemental.

You really ought to read up on the requirements for each individual school you are applying to so as to confirm that this is the case. While I like to consider myself fairly reliable, your first consult for any application-related question should always be the primary source of info--the schools themselves.

My understanding of DO apps is that a DO letter is something of a necessity. For MD apps, you should really ask yourself how well the physicians know you and what additional information they can contribute to your app when considering whether it's worth it or not.

How do people go about getting solid LORs from professors who teach 300 other students? I know interaction out of class is important, as is sharing interests, but is that really enough for them to be able to get to know you and write a very good letter? I'm a little worried about asking professors who taught me for only a semester.

I have a question about waiving your right to review: when do you get asked this? I requested all my letters, most have been received, but I never was asked to waive this right. is it something that is asked of the writer upon submission?

because although I didn't waive it explicitly, I didn't ask to review any either. BUT two writers sent me the letters unsolicited. Unsure how this all works.

So, AMCAS sent me an "update email" that my LOR's still haven't been received...thanks? Why would they do that?

How do people go about getting solid LORs from professors who teach 300 other students? I know interaction out of class is important, as is sharing interests, but is that really enough for them to be able to get to know you and write a very good letter? I'm a little worried about asking professors who taught me for only a semester.

No, that's pretty much it. But you're not the only one with this concern, so don't sweat it too much. Sometimes you have to do the best you can with what you have; at some point you have to trust that if you solicit a letter, asking "can you write me a positive letter of recommendation?" and they say "yes," that they mean what they say.

I have a question about waiving your right to review: when do you get asked this? I requested all my letters, most have been received, but I never was asked to waive this right. is it something that is asked of the writer upon submission?

because although I didn't waive it explicitly, I didn't ask to review any either. BUT two writers sent me the letters unsolicited. Unsure how this all works.

You don't get asked this. It is stated in the privacy policy of AMCAS that applicants do not have access to read their recommendation letters.

So, AMCAS sent me an "update email" that my LOR's still haven't been received...thanks? Why would they do that?

Because you created entries for letters that they have not received yet. Why wouldn't they remind you that you haven't followed up on something you said you'd provide?

This is pretty much the norm at most institutions. My profs wanted my transcripts, personal statement, and resume. We also had a brief interview.

I think i effed up big time. I was under the impression that I had to create individual titles for each of my letter writers. I did this before i submitted my primaries and ended up assigning them to med schools. Later I found out that my school sends out a packet with the LORs from all the writers so I changed the status of the other letters to no longer sending on AMCAS and made a new header for a letter packet containing those letters. Did I just end up screwing myself over now that schools would see that 4 letter writers backed out when they really did not?!?

You may have already sent the letter, but if you use an add-on for firefox called User Agent Switcher (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/), you can trick AMCAS into thinking you have a compatible browser.

Here's my dilemma:

Non-trad pharmacist applying to med schools (good MCAT/GPA)
Asked o-chem professor from many years ago if he would be willing to write me a letter of recommendation. He said that he remembered me quite well and would be glad to write me a letter of recommendation. This was in mid-May (please don't dog on me for asking late...I've already figured that part out). He said that he could write it after classes finished up for the semester.

3 months later and a gentle reminder either via email or phone call every couple of weeks has yielded no results. Being this far out from school (took this class in 2004), I have no other basic science letters I can get (and I've tried).

I was ready to turn in most secondaries as soon as I received them and have been waiting on this letter assuming that some schools I'm interested in won't look very hard at my app w/o a basic science LOR (and practically disqualifies me from many).

Do I wait up on this letter or do I cut my losses and just go ahead with what I have:
1. great letter from direct supervisor (clinical pharmacy director)
2. great letter from physician who also knows me personally
3. great letter from pastor (purely as a character reference and attesting to my volunteering, nothing more).
4. probably mediocre letter from a pharmacy school labs professor (by labs I mean compounding labs...not anything like research).

Opinion from any ADCOMs? LizzyM? Q?

Try sending a thank you note (nicely written, personal, etc.). I've found this approach to be the most helpful when regular reminders fail.

I would also check with the department and make sure he's not gone on extended vacation, etc.

Try sending a thank you note (nicely written, personal, etc.). I've found this approach to be the most helpful when regular reminders fail.

I would also check with the department and make sure he's not gone on extended vacation, etc.

I agree with the above. You really do need that letter as the physician letter is worthless if he is a personal friend and unless the pastor focused mostly on your service work, it is considered superfluous, at least at my school.

I think i effed up big time. I was under the impression that I had to create individual titles for each of my letter writers. I did this before i submitted my primaries and ended up assigning them to med schools. Later I found out that my school sends out a packet with the LORs from all the writers so I changed the status of the other letters to no longer sending on AMCAS and made a new header for a letter packet containing those letters. Did I just end up screwing myself over now that schools would see that 4 letter writers backed out when they really did not?!?

No.

Hello, I had a question

My LORs were sent out on 8/8, but AMCAS hasn't said they received them yet. (I did not receive any email from AMCAS about any LORs at all).

I added 2 extra schools but haven't sent LORs for those schools yet. I was wondering if that may have been a factor.

Does it only say received if it receives it for ALL of the schools I list?
Do some of the schools still receive the LORs if it doesn't say Received??

Hello, I had a question

My LORs were sent out on 8/8, but AMCAS hasn't said they received them yet. (I did not receive any email from AMCAS about any LORs at all).

I added 2 extra schools but haven't sent LORs for those schools yet. I was wondering if that may have been a factor.

Does it only say received if it receives it for ALL of the schools I list?
Do some of the schools still receive the LORs if it doesn't say Received??

You don't specify how they were sent. If by mail, then it's still too early to expect them to be received.

The assignment of schools has nothing to do with AMCAS indicating if a letter is received.

Regardless, if AMCAS has not said they have received your letter, no schools will be receiving anything.

Sorry, they were sent via VirtualEvals

I don't know what the lag time is for VE, but with Interfolio it's two days. If you are concerned you should follow up with VE and AMCAS directly.

Hopefully this hasn't already been discussed, but an issue with my LOR's just came up.

Anyway, I sent out a letter packet from my school's career center with 4 professor letters. AMCAS marked it as received, and it was assigned to all my schools, none had a problem with it, complete almost everywhere, some interviews...

And one of the schools I've been incomplete at for awhile told me that one of my letters is missing--it's listed on the cover letter of my packet, but it's not in there. I re-checked my online letter account and AMCAS and everything seems to be in working order, so I don't know what's going on.

2 questions:
1. Since this letter is a "supplementary" letter from a PI, could other schools that didn't get it have marked me complete without it anyway, even though it's supposed to be in there?

2. When AMCAS marks the packet as received, do they actually check to make sure that all our letters are in there (as in, the ones listed on cover sheet and additional authors listed in AMCAS).

I'm starting to think that this school made a mistake, but would like some support before I ask them to double-check...

Last edited:
Hopefully this hasn't already been discussed, but an issue with my LOR's just came up.

Anyway, I sent out a letter packet from my school's career center with 4 professor letters. AMCAS marked it as received, and it was assigned to all my schools, none had a problem with it, complete almost everywhere, some interviews...

And one of the schools I've been incomplete at for awhile told me that one of my letters is missing--it's listed on the cover letter of my packet, but it's not in there. I re-checked my online letter account and AMCAS and everything seems to be in working order, so I don't know what's going on.

2 questions:
1. Since this letter is a "supplementary" letter from a PI, could other schools that didn't get it have marked me complete without it anyway, even though it's supposed to be in there?

2. When AMCAS marks the packet as received, do they actually check to make sure that all our letters are in there (as in, the ones listed on cover sheet and additional authors listed in AMCAS).

I'm starting to think that this school made a mistake, but would like some support before I ask them to double-check...

1) It's possible.
2) I doubt it, but AMCAS would be the one to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.