*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you request a letter, the first tab says, " Please enter one email address for your writer."

What email should I put here? The writer's email or mine?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I finally received all my letters, but I had a quick question. When I choose which letters go to which school, can I leave some schools off (there are 4 schools from which I haven't heard back, so I am unsure of what the limit is on secondaries from these schools) and then release them at a later time? In order to save which schools I've released letters to, I have to "Submit Application," but I was unsure if I can do this more than once so I thought I would double-check.

I finally received all my letters, but I had a quick question. When I choose which letters go to which school, can I leave some schools off (there are 4 schools from which I haven't heard back, so I am unsure of what the limit is on secondaries from these schools) and then release them at a later time? In order to save which schools I've released letters to, I have to "Submit Application," but I was unsure if I can do this more than once so I thought I would double-check.

Yes, you can.

You can ring the bell as many times as you like, but you can't unring it.

Yes, you can.

You can ring the bell as many times as you like, but you can't unring it.

So this means I can wait as long as I want to release my letters to a particular school, but once I do release them to that school, I can't take it back? Thanks.

So this means I can wait as long as I want to release my letters to a particular school, but once I do release them to that school, I can't take it back? Thanks.

Correct.

Quick question guys. I'm trying to get my non-science letter of rec right now. I have two choices. The first is a music professor whom I took an applied guitar class with one on one. However, I don't think he has a phd....the second professor has his phd and I did research under him for one semester as well as taking a psych class from him. However, I don't think he knows me as well. Which one should I go with?

Quick question guys. I'm trying to get my non-science letter of rec right now. I have two choices. The first is a music professor whom I took an applied guitar class with one on one. However, I don't think he has a phd....the second professor has his phd and I did research under him for one semester as well as taking a psych class from him. However, I don't think he knows me as well. Which one should I go with?

I feel like the second person would give you a more relevant letter, credentials and familiarity with you aside.

Quick question. How does appending a letter after your secondary has already been marked as complete work?
I recently did research over the summer and my PI offered to write a strong letter and I would love to include these. Is it possible to have it sent to schools where I have been marked as complete on the secondary (ie they have already downloaded my letters).
Thanks!

Quick question. How does appending a letter after your secondary has already been marked as complete work?
I recently did research over the summer and my PI offered to write a strong letter and I would love to include these. Is it possible to have it sent to schools where I have been marked as complete on the secondary (ie they have already downloaded my letters).
Thanks!

I would imagine schools may have different policies/procedures for this. I'd recommend contacting the schools directly.

Hey maubs again,

Question about Interfolio. I've yet to sign up (most likely start of November) but am getting all my LOR stuff in order so my professors can start typing up and have them all done by December. I'm assuming this is on the site itself, but once I sign up and want someone to mail in a LOR to Interfolio, I've read something about a number...does that number have to be on the envelope, hardcoded on the letter, what? I'm going to do that combination letter thing as stated so I figure if I have the information now and they write it, they can just pen the number (or does it have to be printed?) on the letter and send it in.

Man, I can't type today.

Hey maubs again,

Question about Interfolio. I've yet to sign up (most likely start of November) but am getting all my LOR stuff in order so my professors can start typing up and have them all done by December. I'm assuming this is on the site itself, but once I sign up and want someone to mail in a LOR to Interfolio, I've read something about a number...does that number have to be on the envelope, hardcoded on the letter, what? I'm going to do that combination letter thing as stated so I figure if I have the information now and they write it, they can just pen the number (or does it have to be printed?) on the letter and send it in.

Man, I can't type today.

The Interfolio help pages should have the answers to all your questions about how it works. I doubt it gets included in the body of the letter but as a cover sheet. If it's sent electronically it's a moot point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Need answer ASAP:

I am trying to submit my primary app today. I do not have a printer at home and have not yet printed out the LOR request form for each of my evaluators. Is it possible to still print these after you click submit?

Need answer ASAP:

I am trying to submit my primary app today. I do not have a printer at home and have not yet printed out the LOR request form for each of my evaluators. Is it possible to still print these after you click submit?

Yes.

I have a potentially serious question. Printing out the Interfolio form, it just includes directions like, 'write in unique ID' and 'find document and upload'.

I just realized it says nothing about the writer signing it or writing in official letterhead. Will Interfolio still receive these letters? Do they send them back?

Hello,

Sorry if these seems like a dumb question, but I've just come to learn that my non-faculty letters from a previous employer and a physician weren't signed when they were uploaded to AMCAS. As far as I know, the letter writers just uploaded their typed word doc. Do any of you know if non-faculty letters also need to be signed and on letterhead? How would you go about re-uploading them to AMCAS if they need to be?

Thanks, I appreciate any response.

Hello,

Sorry if these seems like a dumb question, but I've just come to learn that my non-faculty letters from a previous employer and a physician weren't signed when they were uploaded to AMCAS. As far as I know, the letter writers just uploaded their typed word doc. Do any of you know if non-faculty letters also need to be signed and on letterhead? How would you go about re-uploading them to AMCAS if they need to be?

Thanks, I appreciate any response.

Certainly at the very least they should be signed. To be on the safe side they should be on official letterhead as well.

You can just add the letters to the same letter entries you created initially. An email to the schools you applied to advising them of the new letters probably isn't a bad idea.

I just found out that two letters that have already been marked as received by AMCAS were not signed. I have not been verified yet, but I submitted my application so I can't make changes. I stupidly already assigned letters to schools hoping it would speed up the process since I am already late. I read on another thread that I need to submit the revised letters (on the way) and create new letter entries on AMCAS, which I did. However, I did not know where to enter that they are revised letters. Also, do I need to contact each school about this when I receive secondaries?
FYI, I didn't see the letters, I just decided to ask Interfolio to make sure.
Any advice would be appreciated :)

Do I need to enter a email when you request a lor from interfolio? What is it for? If they send it from another email, will it still be accepted?

Do I need to enter a email when you request a lor from interfolio? What is it for? If they send it from another email, will it still be accepted?

The email address you enter is where the request email will be sent to. No, I can't imagine why it would need to be the same email address when uploading the letter.

I just found out that two letters that have already been marked as received by AMCAS were not signed. I have not been verified yet, but I submitted my application so I can't make changes. I stupidly already assigned letters to schools hoping it would speed up the process since I am already late. I read on another thread that I need to submit the revised letters (on the way) and create new letter entries on AMCAS, which I did. However, I did not know where to enter that they are revised letters. Also, do I need to contact each school about this when I receive secondaries?
FYI, I didn't see the letters, I just decided to ask Interfolio to make sure.
Any advice would be appreciated :)

I would definitely follow up with each school's admissions office individually for advice on how to handle this. I suspect different schools may have different instructions in this respect.

I would definitely follow up with each school's admissions office individually for advice on how to handle this. I suspect different schools may have different instructions in this respect.

Thanks! I think I will do that once I get the secondaries. I also contacted AMCAS about this and they said to have the revised letter sent with the previous letter ID, so no new entries need to be made, if that helps anyone.

Thanks! I think I will do that once I get the secondaries. I also contacted AMCAS about this and they said to have the revised letter sent with the previous letter ID, so no new entries need to be made, if that helps anyone.

I was going to point that out, but you said you had already created the new letter entries so I figured it was a done deal. :) Good luck on your app.

Does anyone have this problem?

After I have submitted my application, I added another person who will write me a LOR. However, when I logged into my AMCAS application the next time, that person did not show up on the AMCAS LOR section online.
I have even printed out the AMCAS Letter Request form and have an AMCAS Letter ID for this person.Was there something wrong with the system?
Should this person just add the AMCAS Letter ID that was given at that time to his letter? or should I re-add this person to my application and get a new Letter ID?

Does anyone have this problem?

After I have submitted my application, I added another person who will write me a LOR. However, when I logged into my AMCAS application the next time, that person did not show up on the AMCAS LOR section online.
I have even printed out the AMCAS Letter Request form and have an AMCAS Letter ID for this person.Was there something wrong with the system?
Should this person just add the AMCAS Letter ID that was given at that time to his letter? or should I re-add this person to my application and get a new Letter ID?

Did you recertify your app after adding the new letter? I would create a new entry, recertify, and then print out the request form for the new entry.

Hi all,

I'm conflicted about adding another LOR later in the game. I suppose the idea is any good words can help, but I don't want to A) go through the trouble for little reward or B) worse, piss of adcoms by adding extra silliness to read.

I have completed my primaries and am buried neck deep in secondaries now. I started shadowing a PCP in late May and submitted my primary in July saying that I've been shadowing a PCP 20-something hours, blah blah blah. I just finished my last day with him before I start a new job and don't have time, so in total I actually probably shadowed him for 40ish hours. I know lots of people have MDs that they shadowed as letter writers, but I'm not sure how much a letter from him will add. I think we got along well and I learned a lot and such, but at least for me, shadowing didn't exactly change my life. I did it because I hear I was supposed to. I liked it, but compared to my work, trust me, I get a lot closer to patients.

My other letters were in a pre-health committee letter which included
2 Sci professors
1 non-science
1 mentor from extracurricular sports team
1 mentor MD from work as EMT
1 supervisor from AmeriCorps

I don't know if throwing in a letter from an MD that I shadowed will make that much of a difference. But, it couldn't hurt, right?

Will I look like an overzealous pre-med who's just adding extra work? Or would it be helpful?

Thanks for your thoughts.

hey guys,

I had a question about getting a letter of rec from a doctor who works in another country. I worked with this doctor for about a month or so in Asia and emailed her for a letter of rec. Shes gonna be writing the letter but I was wondering if the submission process to amcas is any different from sending a letter of rec from a domestic doc? I figure its pretty much the same thing but just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing instructions for her...

hey guys,

I had a question about getting a letter of rec from a doctor who works in another country. I worked with this doctor for about a month or so in Asia and emailed her for a letter of rec. Shes gonna be writing the letter but I was wondering if the submission process to amcas is any different from sending a letter of rec from a domestic doc? I figure its pretty much the same thing but just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing instructions for her...

Same process.

I have a question about waiving your right to review: when do you get asked this? I requested all my letters, most have been received, but I never was asked to waive this right. is it something that is asked of the writer upon submission?

because although I didn't waive it explicitly, I didn't ask to review any either. BUT two writers sent me the letters unsolicited. Unsure how this all works.

As someone else wrote, per AMCAS policy the LOR's are supposed to be confidential and not reviewable (by you). This certainly raises some concerns, the main one being that you should be pretty sure that your letter writer will not screw you over with a bad review...This can happen.

Some 25 years ago when I applied to med school I had my UG school write a "Pre-Medical Advisory Committee" letter that consisted of snippets from a half-dozen of my pre-med science profs. My UG science GPA was 3.89 and my MCAT was 38 (a good score at the time). I applied to 10 schools, got interviews at 5, and no acceptances. I figured it was just a tough year to apply. I was also doing some medical reasearch at the time and had my "committee" letter sent to the folks with whom I was doing the research... In the course of things, I became aware of my "committee" letter through these folks. It was quite laudatory except for a very damning "kiss-of-death" opinion (it ran for three long paragraphs) by my O-Chem prof, who gave me solid A's for the year-long course...(he didn't have much choice, as the grades were based on the exam scores). It was an eye-opener, to be sure. The guy just hated my guts, for some reason. He probably felt he could say all sorts of c**p about me to screw my chances of getting into med school, since I'd "waived access" to the committee LOR...and he did just that.

Fortunately, although my school did not allow students to review the "committee" letter, they did allow students to delete specific pre-med professor entries. When I applied again the next year I went to my Pre-Med advisor and told him I wanted to delete Prof. X's entry... He looked at me sheepishly and asked me why I wanted Prof. X's comments deleted. I told him that "I had a feeling" the guy just didn't like me.

So I applied to only four well-selected schools that year, got interviews (and acceptances) at three, and enrolled in my first choice school. What a difference a year can make...:)

Most if not all schools ask for letters from 2 science faculty and 1 non-science faculty. What if I do not have a non-sciece faculty letter? I tried contacting my most recent (had him 3 years ago) liberal arts professor but I didnt have any luck. Can a letter from where I volunteer/doctor I shadowed or even another letter from a science faculty be replacement?
Anyone been in this situation?

Most if not all schools ask for letters from 2 science faculty and 1 non-science faculty. What if I do not have a non-sciece faculty letter? I tried contacting my most recent (had him 3 years ago) liberal arts professor but I didnt have any luck. Can a letter from where I volunteer/doctor I shadowed or even another letter from a science faculty be replacement?
Anyone been in this situation?

Lots of people have been in that situation. They can be suitable replacements but you need to confirm that with the schools you are applying to.

Lots of people have been in that situation. They can be suitable replacements but you need to confirm that with the schools you are applying to.

I see. I emailed the school and I was told I could use a science letter instead. Do you know if this would affect me negatively?

Thanks

I see. I emailed the school and I was told I could use a science letter instead. Do you know if this would affect me negatively?

Thanks

Again, it's going to be highly dependent on who's reading your app. It's not an instant strike, but the non-science letter is important for a balance of perspective.

Hi guys,

So turned out that one of my referees can no longer write the LOR for me :(. However, before I knew she could no longer write it, I had already assigned the LOR to most of the med schools, and my primary has been verified for a few weeks...

Though I indicated on AMCAS website (under Letters of Evaluation) that this LOR will no longer be sent, it still appears under the schools that I originally assigned it to. So my question is, are med schools going to wait for the LOR since it is still assigned to the schools? Should I call each school and tell them the LOR will no longer be sent? Or is everything OK the way it is?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

So turned out that one of my referees can no longer write the LOR for me :(. However, before I knew she could no longer write it, I had already assigned the LOR to most of the med schools, and my primary has been verified for a few weeks...

Though I indicated on AMCAS website (under Letters of Evaluation) that this LOR will no longer be sent, it still appears under the schools that I originally assigned it to. So my question is, are med schools going to wait for the LOR since it is still assigned to the schools? Should I call each school and tell them the LOR will no longer be sent? Or is everything OK the way it is?

Thanks!

You should be all right, so long as you're still sending enough letters to fulfill your schools' LOR requirements. If you marked on any secondary apps that you were specifically sending that particular letter, then you should follow up with those schools to let them know of the change.

I just realized something kinda funky. So: Interfolio has the AMCAS forms and my letter writers have / will have the Interfolio forms. But AMCAS asks that the AMCAS ID be placed on the letter.

I'm fairly likely to be re-applying next year, because I'm applying narrowly this year to a school that has a preference for re-applicants.

So, how can I get these letters to be re-usable? Is there some way to leave the AMCAS ID off the letters and have Interfolio put it on? I'm so confused. :eek:

Some 25 years ago when I applied to med school I had my UG school write a "Pre-Medical Advisory Committee" letter that consisted of snippets from a half-dozen of my pre-med science profs. My UG science GPA was 3.89 and my MCAT was 38 (a good score at the time). I applied to 10 schools, got interviews at 5, and no acceptances. I figured it was just a tough year to apply. I was also doing some medical reasearch at the time and had my "committee" letter sent to the folks with whom I was doing the research... In the course of things, I became aware of my "committee" letter through these folks. It was quite laudatory except for a very damning "kiss-of-death" opinion (it ran for three long paragraphs) by my O-Chem prof, who gave me solid A's for the year-long course...(he didn't have much choice, as the grades were based on the exam scores). It was an eye-opener, to be sure. The guy just hated my guts, for some reason. He probably felt he could say all sorts of c**p about me to screw my chances of getting into med school, since I'd "waived access" to the committee LOR...and he did just that.:)

OMG, yipes. I wonder just how common it is for a professor to do this kind of thing.

I don't have any reason to expect that one would, except for random insecurities (of the "I was late that one time... and had a migraine in that one conference, so maybe they have a poor opinion of my social skills...") variety, but it's still my worst fear. I've even got a thing in my 'approach packet' that says something to the effect of, "If you feel you can write me a strong letter of recommendation, read on... if not, I would appreciate a polite refusal and any feedback you might have"; and I'm approaching people who I think I can trust; but the fact that at the end of the day there's no way to know is... well, I'm surely going to have nightmares about it. It's like wondering who on your team is secretly the Thing.

I just realized something kinda funky. So: Interfolio has the AMCAS forms and my letter writers have / will have the Interfolio forms. But AMCAS asks that the AMCAS ID be placed on the letter.

I'm fairly likely to be re-applying next year, because I'm applying narrowly this year to a school that has a preference for re-applicants.

So, how can I get these letters to be re-usable? Is there some way to leave the AMCAS ID off the letters and have Interfolio put it on? I'm so confused. :eek:

Where does AMCAS ask that you include your AAMC ID in the letter, specifically?

None of my letters had my ID in their contents.

Where does AMCAS ask that you include your AAMC ID in the letter, specifically?

None of my letters had my ID in their contents.

Oh, nev'mind. It looks like I had misinterpreted the instruction on the AMCAS Letter Request Form: "If you are interested in this option, and can upload a PDF version of your letter, make note of the requesting applicant's AAMC ID and AMCAS Letter ID included above" WRT the AMCAS letter writer application.

D'oh. Well, thanks for making me aware of that!

If I add LORs to AMCAS to schools where my seconday is submitted, and recertify, am I covered?

DO i need to communicate this directly to a school?

If I add LORs to AMCAS to schools where my seconday is submitted, and recertify, am I covered?

DO i need to communicate this directly to a school?

You should be fine, but you can double-check with the schools in question to be sure.

Hallo everyone. I need some advice.

I created individual rec letter entries on my 2012 AMCAS application and assigned letters to specific schools depending on the maximum number of letters that the school accepts.
I just got a mail from AMCAS that they have received a letter packet from my undergrad school. I just got off the phone with the person at my undergrad school, who told me that the package they sent contains all 8 letters of recommendation that they received. I now assume that all the schools I applied to will be getting a letter packet containing 8 LORs :eek: (3 science tutors, 1 non-science tutor, 3 shadowed doctors, 1 volunteering).

I recognize that some schools specifically asks for a maximum of 3 letters. Does this development hurt my chances considering that such schools may end up receiving a packet with all 8 letters? Thanks for your responses.

Hallo everyone. I need some advice.

I created individual rec letter entries on my 2012 AMCAS application and assigned letters to specific schools depending on the maximum number of letters that the school accepts.
I just got a mail from AMCAS that they have received a letter packet from my undergrad school. I just got off the phone with the person at my undergrad school, who told me that the package they sent contains all 8 letters of recommendation that they received. I now assume that all the schools I applied to will be getting a letter packet containing 8 LORs :eek: (3 science tutors, 1 non-science tutor, 3 shadowed doctors, 1 volunteering).

I recognize that some schools specifically asks for a maximum of 3 letters. Does this development hurt my chances considering that such schools may end up receiving a packet with all 8 letters? Thanks for your responses.

My crystal ball says schools will probably just pick the letters that fulfill their requirements and ignore the rest.

My crystal ball says schools will probably just pick the letters that fulfill their requirements and ignore the rest.

Phew!! Relief!!! Thank you Mauberley for responding.

Are you allowed to send the same letter via mail and later, through online AMCAS writer website?

Here's the situation: I have everything in my application good to go including secondaries. But one of my LOR is still not shown up as marked, and AMCAS says that it doesn't have it - but what I don't know is, if it's not marked as received yet, or it wasn't received at all in the first place. It's been over a week since this LOR was sent, so I don't know what's up with this delay and it's really frustrating me.

Are you allowed to send the same letter via mail and later, through online AMCAS writer website?

Here's the situation: I have everything in my application good to go including secondaries. But one of my LOR is still not shown up as marked, and AMCAS says that it doesn't have it - but what I don't know is, if it's not marked as received yet, or it wasn't received at all in the first place. It's been over a week since this LOR was sent, so I don't know what's up with this delay and it's really frustrating me.

I assume they sent it by mail? I would wait a few more days. If they send it online, at worst you'll have two copies of the same letter being sent and it shouldn't be such a big deal.

My application has already been verified and sent out to my medical schools. However, some schools have requested a "non-science" letter as well. All mine are either by science professors and the dean. I missed the date for the prehealth committee (long story).

Anyways my question is since I am already verified what will happen when I add the extra letter to my application and press recertify?

Will the Medical schools get my letter weeks later?

Status
Not open for further replies.