*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize if this question has already been asked before in this thread. Is it still recommended to meet in person with each of my potential letter writers if it's inconvenient for me? I no longer live in close proximity to my university and having to schedule and meet each letter writer face to face would be an extreme inconvenience. That being said, if I wanted to email instead, would that be okay?

Members don't see this ad.

I apologize if this question has already been asked before in this thread. Is it still recommended to meet in person with each of my potential letter writers if it's inconvenient for me? I no longer live in close proximity to my university and having to schedule and meet each letter writer face to face would be an extreme inconvenience. That being said, if I wanted to email instead, would that be okay?
Up to you and your writer how they want to do it. A well written request would seem sufficient these days

Reactions: 1 user
So I worked with a physician, great guy, who said he'd write me a letter. 3 months and multiple emails later, and he has yet to respond. The logistics are such that I can't meet him in person. I have him listed as a writer at the majority of schools I applied to, but I do have other writers from the same experience I am comfortable substituting in for him. How do I go about letting schools know not to expect a letter from this writer any longer?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I worked with a physician, great guy, who said he'd write me a letter. 3 months and multiple emails later, and he has yet to respond. The logistics are such that I can't meet him in person. I have him listed as a writer at the majority of schools I applied to, but I do have other writers from the same experience I am comfortable substituting in for him. How do I go about letting schools know not to expect a letter from this writer any longer?

1) this is why I am always advise applicants never to assign a letter to a school until is has been actually uploaded into AMCAS
2) see AMCAS instructions page 63 for process to notify schools
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...b05/2018_amcas_instruction_manual.pdf#page=63

upload_2017-8-31_16-16-23.png

upload_2017-8-31_16-16-50.png

1) this is why I am always advise applicants never to assign a letter to a school until is has been actually uploaded into AMCAS
2) see AMCAS instructions page 63 for process to notify schools
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...b05/2018_amcas_instruction_manual.pdf#page=63

View attachment 223154

View attachment 223155

Yep, it was an oversight on my part when I wanted to fill in everything just so I could say I got done everything I could get done, haha.

Appreciate the thorough and fast response.

Now am I confused

If you are submitting individual LORs, then you need to follow the specific requirements that that medical school lists
If you are submitting a committee letter, the committee decides what kind of letters to submit

The two sets of requirements do not overlap.

Basically I know that my letters fit the criteria for the committee, but I was not sure if the specific medical schools that I am applying to would scrutinize a letter that fits the requirement of a "science letter" for the committee packet, and decide to classify the letter differently and say it in fact does not fit the requirement of a "science letter." Does that make sense? Sorry, it's a tough question for me to word!

Basically I know that my letters fit the criteria for the committee, but I was not sure if the specific medical schools that I am applying to would scrutinize a letter that fits the requirement of a "science letter" for the committee packet, and decide to classify the letter differently and say it in fact does not fit the requirement of a "science letter." Does that make sense? Sorry, it's a tough question for me to word!
You are making this so much complicated and confusing for yourself

if you are sending a committee letter, then you follow the premed committee requirement. Individual letter requirements do not apply nor could they as every school has different requirements.

I have the opposite problem as many of you. Rather than being short a letter or two, I have 6 to choose from, which is great! However, I was wondering if it is always beneficial to send all of my letters when the school allows them, or if I should leave out what I think will be the weakest letters so I don't annoy the person who has to read them. I am fairly sure that all of my letters are positive, but some of them I suspect are just average since I was truthfully only an average student/intern to them. What is better, no additional letters or additional average letters, given that I already meet the school's LOR requirements?

I have the opposite problem as many of you. Rather than being short a letter or two, I have 6 to choose from, which is great! However, I was wondering if it is always beneficial to send all of my letters when the school allows them, or if I should leave out what I think will be the weakest letters so I don't annoy the person who has to read them. I am fairly sure that all of my letters are positive, but some of them I suspect are just average since I was truthfully only an average student/intern to them. What is better, no additional letters or additional average letters, given that I already meet the school's LOR requirements?
No additional; send the letters which you think are outstanding

Last edited:
Hello all, long time lurker, first post, etc etc.

So I am in a situation where I am going to be taking some pre-reqs online from UNE. I understand the risks, I have the MSAR, I know where I won't be accepted both MD and DO because of this and made an informed decision to do this. All that aside, I have asked prior to enrollment if the professor would be willing to write me a letter, and they said yes. Is this letter going to be acceptable, provided it isn't a bad letter? Is there any way I can assist my professor in writing a solid letter aside from CV/resume? I plan on e-mailing questions and such, is there anything beyond this that would be considered an appropriate interaction to provide more personal information? I don't want to email my life story, but I also don't want a cold "Student got an A, and completed the work on time."

I am sure this question has been asked before, but I cannot find the answer to save my life!

I am applying to both MD and DO schools. I am not using Interfolio, as DO schools seem to want the letter submitted directly to them. With that being said, has anyone ever submitted their LOR with BOTH their AMCAS and AACOMAS IDs at the top of the letter? I do not want to step on toes since I am applying to both.

Thanks in advance folks.

Hello all, long time lurker, first post, etc etc.

So I am in a situation where I am going to be taking some pre-reqs online from UNE. I understand the risks, I have the MSAR, I know where I won't be accepted both MD and DO because of this and made an informed decision to do this. All that aside, I have asked prior to enrollment if the professor would be willing to write me a letter, and they said yes. Is this letter going to be acceptable, provided it isn't a bad letter? Is there any way I can assist my professor in writing a solid letter aside from CV/resume? I plan on e-mailing questions and such, is there anything beyond this that would be considered an appropriate interaction to provide more personal information? I don't want to email my life story, but I also don't want a cold "Student got an A, and completed the work on time."
*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

See my post linked above and download the letter writers guide (attached at bottom). Give it to your prof

I am sure this question has been asked before, but I cannot find the answer to save my life!

I am applying to both MD and DO schools. I am not using Interfolio, as DO schools seem to want the letter submitted directly to them. With that being said, has anyone ever submitted their LOR with BOTH their AMCAS and AACOMAS IDs at the top of the letter? I do not want to step on toes since I am applying to both.

Thanks in advance folks.
AACOMAS allows Interfolio
See About the AACOM Application Service (AACOMAS)

Down the page under of letters of recommendation

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @gonnif ! Have some schools recently changed their policy? I made a spread sheet about a year ago and I have Touro- NY and PCOM not accepting Interfolio.

Hello @gonnif ,

Reading through the other responses, I don't think I saw one that encompassed the situation I'm in for a letter of rec. As it stands right now, I'm only lacking in professor's letter of rec's (zero currently, looking to apply the 2018 cycle). I have asked a grad/master's student who taught an upper level anatomy lab I just finished as well as co-taught/ taught under the partnering upper level anatomy lecture. I also asked for a letter of rec from the head of the anatomy lecture (she has a doctorate). Both of them expressed the acceptance to write a letter.

Should I value one person's over the other? (i.e. does the smaller, more personal experience in lab outweigh the semi-less personable experience of a hands-on lecture/doctorate holder?)

Additionally, assuming both are good, would they count as two different science letter of recs? (I'm not planning on stopping with them as far as science goes, but just want to know in case I need a plan F)

Thanks for your time!

Best wishes

Hello @gonnif ,

Reading through the other responses, I don't think I saw one that encompassed the situation I'm in for a letter of rec. As it stands right now, I'm only lacking in professor's letter of rec's (zero currently, looking to apply the 2018 cycle). I have asked a grad/master's student who taught an upper level anatomy lab I just finished as well as co-taught/ taught under the partnering upper level anatomy lecture. I also asked for a letter of rec from the head of the anatomy lecture (she has a doctorate). Both of them expressed the acceptance to write a letter.

Should I value one person's over the other? (i.e. does the smaller, more personal experience in lab outweigh the semi-less personable experience of a hands-on lecture/doctorate holder?)

Additionally, assuming both are good, would they count as two different science letter of recs? (I'm not planning on stopping with them as far as science goes, but just want to know in case I need a plan F)

Thanks for your time!

Best wishes

If I understand correctly you have the TA for the lab section and the professor from the lecture section both wanting to write letters. Well, technically I suppose they will count as 2 separate science letters, but it would less impact than it should. I suggest you get the TA to write a letter and have the faculty member cosign and then get a second science letter from a different course entirely

If I understand correctly you have the TA for the lab section and the professor from the lecture section both wanting to write letters. Well, technically I suppose they will count as 2 separate science letters, but it would less impact than it should. I suggest you get the TA to write a letter and have the faculty member cosign and then get a second science letter from a different course entirely

That's right-- And the lessening impact of the two makes sense to me as well. I'll see if that's a possibility when I meet with the TA. Thanks for your help!

Quick questions: I'm applying allopathic this upcoming cycle (18-19). I've worked in an ER as a tech for the past 3 years. I work pretty closely with a few doctors but there is one that I've talked to more than others. He is a DO and I was wondering if adcoms care about that? Of all the docs he could write me the best letter, or else I could ask one of quite a few nurses who've already offered to write me letters about my ability to interact with patients. The nurses actually see more of my job than the doctors and might be able to speak to more. How would those be viewed?

Quick questions: I'm applying allopathic this upcoming cycle (18-19). I've worked in an ER as a tech for the past 3 years. I work pretty closely with a few doctors but there is one that I've talked to more than others. He is a DO and I was wondering if adcoms care about that? Of all the docs he could write me the best letter, or else I could ask one of quite a few nurses who've already offered to write me letters about my ability to interact with patients. The nurses actually see more of my job than the doctors and might be able to speak to more. How would those be viewed?

The DO is fine;

had a quick question.

I know most schools require 2 science letters. Right now I have one science professor letter and one research letter. Does that count as 2 science? Or do I need 2 science professor letters?

My letters are:

1) Bio Professor
2) Research Postdoc
3) Mentoring Program Director
4) Committee Letter based on 1-3

5) Separate PI Letter (my postdoc knew me much more personally but my PI also knew me in a different light).

I only have one professor letter. Wondering if I should get the second science professor? He also knew me quite well, more personally than just in class.

had a quick question.

I know most schools require 2 science letters. Right now I have one science professor letter and one research letter. Does that count as 2 science? Or do I need 2 science professor letters?

My letters are:

1) Bio Professor
2) Research Postdoc
3) Mentoring Program Director
4) Committee Letter based on 1-3

5) Separate PI Letter (my postdoc knew me much more personally but my PI also knew me in a different light).

I only have one professor letter. Wondering if I should get the second science professor? He also knew me quite well, more personally than just in class.
i am confused

Are you submitting a committee letter? Or are you submitting individual letters? You need to fulfill only ONE of these categories

See the two links (yes they title the same) that i posted on this earlier today
Worth getting more letters than required if comittee writes it

Worth getting more letters than required if comittee writes it

Last edited:
I’ve posted a similar question before, but I have slightly different information now. I’m a non-trad that’s having a hard time obtaining the non-science LoR. I really only have two potential options:

Option A: A CC instructor I had that taught intro psych. Recently accepted to law school but is still an instructor at the CC. She is/was working on her Master’s. Would be able to speak well of me and my work ethic since the course was so recent.

Option B: Spanish instructor that I had about 6 years or so ago. She still says she still knows me well enough to speak well of me. We actually have shared social media accounts with each other. Has her Master’s. However, she no longer teaches at my former university. Now she teaches 8th graders.

I’m thinking I’m gonna have to try and have the CC instructor do it and hope she has an advisor to co-sign. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I’ve posted a similar question before, but I have slightly different information now. I’m a non-trad that’s having a hard time obtaining the non-science LoR. I really only have two potential options:

Option A: A CC instructor I had that taught intro psych. Recently accepted to law school but is still an instructor at the CC. She is/was working on her Master’s. Would be able to speak well of me and my work ethic since the course was so recent.

Option B: Spanish instructor that I had about 6 years or so ago. She still says she still knows me well enough to speak well of me. We actually have shared social media accounts with each other. Has her Master’s. However, she no longer teaches at my former university. Now she teaches 8th graders.

I’m thinking I’m gonna have to try and have the CC instructor do it and hope she has an advisor to co-sign. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Either one will fulfill the requirememt

I have a strange situation, and I could use some advice:

I work as an MA with a team of three physicians. Each has offered to write me a LOR for medical school. They all know me well and I have worked with them extensively, although I tend to do different things for each one. Knowing that most schools limit the amount of letters that an applicant can send, they offered to co-write a joint LOR with each physician writing a paragraph and all three co-signing it.

Has anyone heard of something like this before? It would essentially be an individual letter, with three individuals co-writing and co-signing it.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this!

I have a strange situation, and I could use some advice:

I work as an MA with a team of three physicians. Each has offered to write me a LOR for medical school. They all know me well and I have worked with them extensively, although I tend to do different things for each one. Knowing that most schools limit the amount of letters that an applicant can send, they offered to co-write a joint LOR with each physician writing a paragraph and all three co-signing it.

Has anyone heard of something like this before? It would essentially be an individual letter, with three individuals co-writing and co-signing it.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this!
Having a joint letter like that is fine with co-signing.

I am planning on asking a recommendation letter from a neuroscience professor and a biology professor. Would this be considered too similar in the BCPM? These are two different majors at my school, but they seem to overlap. I'm not sure if I should be getting one from a chemistry professor or something...

I am planning on asking a recommendation letter from a neuroscience professor and a biology professor. Would this be considered too similar in the BCPM? These are two different majors at my school, but they seem to overlap. I'm not sure if I should be getting one from a chemistry professor or something...

the short answer is the neuro and bio letters are fine. The long answer is:

1) BCPM is a designation by AMCAS for course classification and GPA and is not used for in any way for letters
2) Letter requirements, preferences , etc are school specific and you must look at the school's website for guidance on the topic.
3) Very generally, most schools require, recommend, or prefer committee letters and those requirements are set solely by your UG institution.
***Individual letter requirements from medical schools do not, repeat, do not apply to committee letters***
4) Unless you are using individual letters and unless a medical school specifically requires letters from different areas, you are more than fine. And if they require letters from different areas, you are still fine

I have a question about my letters of recommendation. I have been out of school for a few years now. After graduating, I worked at a healthcare software company for two years, and I currently work in a clinical research lab.

My letters of recommendation:
Note: My undergraduate institution is writing a committee letter for me.
1. Faculty advisor for my major/upper level science professor
2. Volunteer coordinator at hospice
3. Former manager at healthcare software company
4. Current PI

I am starting scribing in the ED, and was thinking a bout possibly asking an MD for a letter of recommendation. One of my undergraduate science professors previously wrote me a letter of recommendation for a research scholarship (which I did receive), and I was thinking of asking her - not sure if she remembers me at this point though. I also interacted with her through the leadership board of a few of my clubs.
Do these letters seem adequate? Or any suggestions? Should I get a non-science professor letter?

(Also this is for the 2019 cycle, btw)

I have a question about my letters of recommendation. I have been out of school for a few years now. After graduating, I worked at a healthcare software company for two years, and I currently work in a clinical research lab.

My letters of recommendation:
Note: My undergraduate institution is writing a committee letter for me.
1. Faculty advisor for my major/upper level science professor
2. Volunteer coordinator at hospice
3. Former manager at healthcare software company
4. Current PI

I am starting scribing in the ED, and was thinking a bout possibly asking an MD for a letter of recommendation. One of my undergraduate science professors previously wrote me a letter of recommendation for a research scholarship (which I did receive), and I was thinking of asking her - not sure if she remembers me at this point though. I also interacted with her through the leadership board of a few of my clubs.
Do these letters seem adequate? Or any suggestions? Should I get a non-science professor letter?

(Also this is for the 2019 cycle, btw)

1) Are the letters you list part of the committee letter or as you using them as additional letters? If you are using a UG Premed committee letter, you fulfill the requirements of your UG Committee and that is the only letter you need. You do not need individual letters. If you get the latter, it raises the question of which letter requirement you are trying to fulfill
2) The 2 science letters (faculty advisor and PI) would seem needed though what is the current PI position (academia or industry)
3) If you are relying on individual letters w/o committee letter, then a nonscience letter is typically expected or required.
4) Unless you have some truly remarkable indepth experience in hospice, then a letter from the coordinator has little impact
5) Ditto for MD letter for ED scribe
6) for nontrads, some schools expect to see employment supervisor so manager at software company may be needed
7) get the former UG science prof from scholarship and clubs. You write the request including all the info you want her to include ("as you may recall, ...)
8) For all your letter requests include a copy/attachment of AAMC writers guide (see attached)
9) it would be best if you had all these letters submitted to your UG committee and included there
10) Do not overwhelm the schools with a committee letter and individual letters
11) The vast majority of schools require, recommend or prefer committee letters

Attachments

• lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf
    326.8 KB · Views: 72
  • letters-printfriendly.pdf
    179.4 KB · Views: 99
Thank you, this is super helpful.
1) The individual letters are included as part of the committee letter in one "letter packet." They are required for our committee letter process and are all submitted together.
2) The PI is in academia. She is faculty at UW School of Medicine.

I will definitely reach out to my science professor and ask for a letter of recommendation, and will think about trying to get a non-science professor too.

So I haven't really found an answer. So I suppose I will ask ( and I apologize if it has been answered). Let me start by saying I have my two science letters, my non science. I am a non-traditional student, I work 40 hours a week and go to school full time 18 credit hours, as well as take care of my niece, that leaves very little time to do outside things i.e volunteer or shadow. Which I have done both and have done them as much as possible. But because the hospital where I shadow I always have a different doctor thus, I am unable to build a relationship with the doctors. My question is this, I work in a hospital but only as intake (paper work, calls basically I'm a secretary) I would say I have a good relationships with some of the doctors. But I don't really feel comfortable asking them as I am not clinical (and obviously don't want to embarrass myself). So, should I ask one them regardless of me being clinical, or should I ask my old employer (whom I worked for for 7 years and is a close friend now) but would not be a medical letter of recommendation.

Sorry for the long story and if it's been answered somewhere.

So I haven't really found an answer. So I suppose I will ask ( and I apologize if it has been answered). Let me start by saying I have my two science letters, my non science. I am a non-traditional student, I work 40 hours a week and go to school full time 18 credit hours, as well as take care of my niece, that leaves very little time to do outside things i.e volunteer or shadow. Which I have done both and have done them as much as possible. But because the hospital where I shadow I always have a different doctor thus, I am unable to build a relationship with the doctors. My question is this, I work in a hospital but only as intake (paper work, calls basically I'm a secretary) I would say I have a good relationships with some of the doctors. But I don't really feel comfortable asking them as I am not clinical (and obviously don't want to embarrass myself). So, should I ask one them regardless of me being clinical, or should I ask my old employer (whom I worked for for 7 years and is a close friend now) but would not be a medical letter of recommendation.

Sorry for the long story and if it's been answered somewhere.

Most shadowing letters from doctors hold little value for the precisely the reasons you mention. Most applicants do not build a length, in-depth relationship with physicians that would lead to an LOR that would have impact on an adcom. Only a few MD schools require a clinical letter of any kind. However, many medical schools will require or recommend a letter from a long time employer, especially from a non-trad.

Get the employer letter

I will be applying to both MD and MD/PhD programs this upcoming cycle and I am having trouble finding advice on how to have letter writers speak about this. My school offers a committee letter which I am doing but for this they require 3 LORs that will be sent along with the the committee letter and I will not be able to tailor which schools these LORs are sent to.
I have a strong letter from a research mentor whom I have worked with over the past 3 years, as well as a letter from a professor who is also the director of the honors program I am heavily involved in. I would like both of these to be seen by the committee (in addition to my two science professor LORs) but I am concerned about them writing in support of my future as a physician-scientist and have this be seen negatively by the schools I am only applying MD too. Both of my letter writers are aware of this situation and have asked me how I would like to address the issue but I am unsure. Any advice on how to navigate this?

Most shadowing letters from doctors hold little value for the precisely the reasons you mention. Most applicants do not build a length, in-depth relationship with physicians that would lead to an LOR that would have impact on an adcom. Only a few MD schools require a clinical letter of any kind. However, many medical schools will require or recommend a letter from a long time employer, especially from a non-trad.

Get the employer letter
Thank you so much for the reply. This was very helpful!

I have a leadership position in a club, the former president of the club is now the club adviser after he graduated and went to medical school. He is currently in medical school now, I know "peer letters" are not desirable in any way, but would this be a good letter? I think he could speak about my leadership abilities and how we brought the club back from a pretty poor place. I just wanted to make sure this would be alright first in the eyes of adcoms.

For reference, most club advisers are faculty, this person decided to be because our adviser left and they go to a med school very close by and show up to needed meetings like elections.

I have a leadership position in a club, the former president of the club is now the club adviser after he graduated and went to medical school. He is currently in medical school now, I know "peer letters" are not desirable in any way, but would this be a good letter? I think he could speak about my leadership abilities and how we brought the club back from a pretty poor place. I just wanted to make sure this would be alright first in the eyes of adcoms.

For reference, most club advisers are faculty, this person decided to be because our adviser left and they go to a med school very close by and show up to needed meetings like elections.
1) college clubs, such as premed club, are not impressive to adcom
2) letters from peers, even as med students are not impressive
3) non-academic, non-employment, non-research (call them first tier) are not impressive

Dont bother

1) college clubs, such as premed club, are not impressive to adcom
2) letters from peers, even as med students are not impressive
3) non-academic, non-employment, non-research (call them first tier) are not impressive

Dont bother

Thank you for the advice, I currently have 3 letter writers I feel are strong (2 PIs took classes with both, have pub with 1 and a non-science letter from faculty I took 2 classes with) but, even though it might not be, I feel weird submitting the bare minimum.

Thank you for the advice, I currently have 3 letter writers I feel are strong (2 PIs took classes with both, have pub with 1 and a non-science letter from faculty I took 2 classes with) but, even though it might not be, I feel weird submitting the bare minimum.
Does club have/had a faculty advisor who can cosign?

Does club have/had a faculty advisor who can cosign?

I believe the previous advisor was faculty.

I also have another science teacher I could ask but figured this one would give a fresh perspective.

If my professor no longer teaches at my school and has to use a letterhead from a different school (which they are currently doing research at), would that be fine?

If my professor no longer teaches at my school and has to use a letterhead from a different school (which they are currently doing research at), would that be fine?

Yes, that happens all the time. They will say where they formerly were

Status
Not open for further replies.