OFFICIAL Loyola Stritch SOM class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

LaurieB said:
Vacation time will probably be about the same everywhere, but here is the rundown for Loyola:

-1 week off in the fall and 1 week in the spring 1st through 3rd year
-2+ week winter break 1st and 2nd year and 10+ days 3rd and 4th year
-about 2 and a half months the summer after 1st year
-2-5 weeks off the summer after 2nd year depending on when you schedule your boards
-12 weeks discretionary time 4th year (this time gets used up by residency interviews, but you can balance it out to have a fair amount of free time)

You can also do away rotations in Cali if you want and you should do those rotations if you want to end up back in Cali. Not too many people end up on the west coast for residency - it is proably a combination of many folks prefering the midwest and also not enough exposure at the west coast programs. If you have your heart set on getting back to Cali for residency, you will have a better chance if you stay there for med school. However, if you decide to come to Loyola there are plenty of things you can do to keep yourself connected out west so that you have a got shot of getting back there.

Hope this helps.
Laurie

thanks so much, very helpful :).. i flip flop on what im doing every 5 minutes!

akanene said:
thanks so much, very helpful :).. i flip flop on what im doing every 5 minutes!

When do you have to make your choice?

Members don't see this ad :)
mln said:
I think Kildare Commons faces a freeway and was very loud. I remember looking at their website also. The place where we will live doesn't have a website. Most don't. Just look on realtor.com and type in zip code 60302.

The place we bought will show up as these addresses:
426 S EUCLID
428 S EUCLID
432 S EUCLID
436 S EUCLID

Others include:
WESLEY
WASHINGTON
Any others where the picture is hand drawn rather than a photograph and where you see multiple units for sale.

There was one other I remember being built that going to start selling in June, but I can't remember where. I'm sure if you talk to a realtor in the Oak Park area and tell them what you want - they should know where all of the renovations are. Hope this helps. Good luck.

mln:
Thanks! I have been extensively searching realtor.com, and that is where I am finding most of my information. I'm happy to know that I am not missing any great undiscovered secret that has helped people find terrific condos! ;) I am certain I have seen the units on Wesley and Washington, and pretty sure I have come across the ones on Euclid as well. I'm planning on arranging a time to see them and quite a few other places during the first full week in June.

jbrice:
Thanks for the PM! I'll be getting back to you shortly...

LaurieB:
Thanks for posting the condo. I also saw it in the forum for incoming students on Loyola's web site, but alas, then as now it is out of our price range. :(

THANKS AGAIN EVERYBODY!!!

Is anyone in here musically inclined? I play guitar and sing. I'm also learning to play mandolin and just got a banjo for a present this past weekend.

Anyhow, I'm just curious if there's anyone to jam with from Loyola. :)

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I ended up getting off the Stanford wait list and have sent my letter of withdrawal to Loyola. This was not an easy decision for me; I really love Loyola and the Chicago area but i'm glad that someone from the wait list will get my spot! :)

flippa

opstandzon said:
Is anyone in here musically inclined? I play guitar and sing. I'm also learning to play mandolin and just got a banjo for a present this past weekend.

Anyhow, I'm just curious if there's anyone to jam with from Loyola. :)

i play guitar and sing too. i play bass as well, but don't actually have one.

i also took 8 years of piano before picking up the guitar in high school.

was in a band for about 4 years and do a fair amount of song writing in my free time still.

flippa7 said:
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I ended up getting off the Stanford wait list and have sent my letter of withdrawal to Loyola. This was not an easy decision for me; I really love Loyola and the Chicago area but i'm glad that someone from the wait list will get my spot! :)

flippa

congrats on stanford! i'm sure you've made a waitlister very very happy :D

Looking foward to seeing you guys in the atrium in July. I've pulled my acceptances and I have decided on Loyola.

AAACK!! I just got a letter from the health svcs dept at Loyola and I need titers sent to them before July 14th~! Yikes! How long are these going to take to get processed? I wonder if Kaiser will pay for them...

timmy still hears silence.....but there are still approx 53 days to hear something (still hopin' for some good news!)

CONGRATS ALL WHO ARE MOVIN AND A GROOVIN off that waitlist! :D

IDforMe - call me woman!!! i miss ya! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Flopotomist said:
AAACK!! I just got a letter from the health svcs dept at Loyola and I need titers sent to them before July 14th~! Yikes! How long are these going to take to get processed? I wonder if Kaiser will pay for them...

man...this is yet another time that the mail has gotten to cali faster than into the city limits of chicago...i'm guessing your love for the Chicago USPS is paying off... :laugh:

the processing should only take a few days though, i would assume...and we've got about 6 weeks...

jbrice1639 said:
man...this is yet another time that the mail has gotten to cali faster than into the city limits of chicago...i'm guessing your love for the Chicago USPS is paying off... :laugh:

the processing should only take a few days though, i would assume...and we've got about 6 weeks...
I also got final confirmation last week that my loans (through THE) have been approved and will be ready for pick up July 31st. Man Loyola is organized! I love it!

Now if this apartment I am looking at comes through... (gonna rent one site unseen from CA, wish me luck!)

Flopotomist said:

You should call the health services office to find out exactly what they need. If I remember correctly, I just told them that I had Chickenpox when I was a child and didn't need to get the VZV titer. I will need to get it when I rotate at Cook County though so if you have the titer, it is worth getting the info.

PS flippa, congrats on Stanford!!!

LaurieB said:
You should call the health services office to find out exactly what they need. If I remember correctly, I just told them that I had Chickenpox when I was a child and didn't need to get the VZV titer. I will need to get it when I rotate at Cook County though so if you have the titer, it is worth getting the info.

PS flippa, congrats on Stanford!!!

Hey y'all I'm excited to say that I'll be joining you in July. Hey Laurie, I was unaware that Loyolans had the opportunity to do rotations at Cook County. That's awesome! Hope everyone is enjoying their summer and can't wait to meet you.

danzmachine said:
Hey y'all I'm excited to say that I'll be joining you in July. Hey Laurie, I was unaware that Loyolans had the opportunity to do rotations at Cook County. That's awesome! Hope everyone is enjoying their summer and can't wait to meet you.

congrats and welcome! :D

we're finally starting to get really close to all meeting each other. can't wait!

:luck: to any of those still on the waitlist watching these threads. we're all pulling for ya!

How did this thread drop to four stars again? Boo.. this is a FIVE STAR thread!

OK.. I filled out a roommate request form thingy - how do we access the forms filled out by others? Any ideas?

Flopotomist said:
How did this thread drop to four stars again? Boo.. this is a FIVE STAR thread!

OK.. I filled out a roommate request form thingy - how do we access the forms filled out by others? Any ideas?

They are going to send out a :cool: list of everyone who turned in a roomie form to everyone who turned in a roomie form. I hope that makes sense.

Hi guys, I'm new (well sorta, I've been lurking on SDN for about 1.5 years now). Anywho, I'm joining you all in July at Loyola. Like everyone else on this forum I LOVED Loyola when I went there. I grew up in Chicago (the city), but went to Georgia for college (after a 2 year stint at Millikin U. in central Illinois (btw...are there any Millikin people out there? I know there is an rising 3 year currently there but any M1 or M2's?)). I'm happy to be coming back home. I'll be living with my parents for 1st year on the south side of Chicago. And I currently don't know how to drive but I'll be learning this summer and hopefully I'll have a car by the first week of school (for that dreadful commute to school). Anyway, I love how the school interacted with each other and I hope we have that same type of comraderie. Sorry for the incredibly long post, I'm just so happy to finally talk to you all.

Welcome Wanderland!

Has anyone been able to sign into the Incoming Student Webform on the loyola page lately. I quess that is my question/answer I'm hoping to hear back from you guys. Thanks

Dr.UserName said:
Has anyone been able to sign into the Incoming Student Webform on the loyola page lately. I quess that is my question/answer I'm hoping to hear back from you guys. Thanks

Nope, I can't get in, either. Sadly, I think the web forum is broken.

I have not been able to get in either. I think someone must have inadvertently changed the username or password

ambulancedriver said:
I have not been able to get in either. I think someone must have inadvertently changed the username or password
It isn't working for me either - glad to know I am not the only one. I keep having this fear that the acceptance letter was a fraud, and that somebody found out I was looking at the page so they changed the password.

Yeah, thanks everyone. I get worried that I'm outside the loop sometimes just because I was accepted from the waitlist, so I know how Flopotomist feels. Its up now and i hope it stays.

Hey guys! i just got into loyola off of the waitlist!!

Vitriol said:
Hey guys! i just got into loyola off of the waitlist!!

i hope you guys will welcome me to the group

and flopo, i guess ill have to start drinking the purple stuff

Congrats... See you July 24th....

I just wanted to say hello to the Stritch family. I got accepted yesterday, it was a dream come true. Loyola has always been my top choice. Look forward to posting on this thread in the upcoming weeks and meeting everyone in July.

I can't believe I am saying this...I am going to be a doctor, a Stritch educated physician.

Hello,

Congratulations Stoky44 and Vitriol on your acceptances!!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I just spent the last 3 days in the Oak Park area looking for an apartment and I thought I would give my feedback on the experience and offer some help or guidance where needed. I used the Oak Park Regional Housing Center (OPRHC) at first. They were helpful to a degree. They pick out places for you and even drive you to them, all for free. Some of the places were nice and some not so nice. I was looking for a 1 or 2 BR place. I ended up liking the "vintage" units which are basically 1920's buildings. They mostly have hard wood floors, old kitchens, and old bathrooms but they have charm and are not too expensive. I found a 1 BR that I really liked for $820 including heat and parking outdoors but it was located on Austin St and alot of people have told me that I shouldn't live on Austin. I didn't know what to believe since I am not from the area so I ended up signing a lease on a 2 BR flat that I found on craigslist. It's located at Washington and Taylor. I will probably live alone for the first 1-6 months and then possibly get a roommate to fill the 2nd bedroom. Craigslist seemed to have nicer listings than OPRHC. There were a couple flats/apartments that I saw that I would highly recommend to any of my future classmates so just PM me and I can give you the telephone numbers of the owners.

See you all in 48 days!

Hey guys.. I just sent off my application for a place in Forest Park on W. Madison (7400 block). Anybody know about the area? I will be signing the lease site unseen (taking a gamble). So super excited to be starting class with you guys! Our class is going to ROCK!

i too must admit that i have been an sdn lurker for the past few months but i just became a registered member because i finally have something to contribute. i was just taken off the waitlist yesterday and i look forward to meeting all of you next month!

Hey y'all,
Can't wait to meet come orientation, but in the meantime I'll be working on my tan, oh yeah and trying to coordinate a living situation from the West Coast. Still waiting on that Loyola roomie list. Enjoy the rest of your summers :)

Hey all...I went out to chicago over memorial day and found an apartment. It’s a nice vintage 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment in residential Oak Park community. It has a deck, office, and lots of other amenities. This apartment is on the 1st floor of a 2 flat. Nice 7 minute walk to L, easy to get downtown. Very close to downtown Oak Park. I'm looking for a guy/girl roomate so if you're interested, let me know. Anyone wanting more info, you can email or pm me.

Email [email protected]

Looking forward to meeting you all soon!

I haven't posted in a long time, but that doesn't mean I am not still excited about meeting all of you. I've been quite busy with traveling and stuff in the last month. About the roommate wanted list, I talked with someone at Loyola yesterday who told me that they got backed up due to graduation and should have the list compiled and sent out "soon" (no date attached). I am moving from the east coast. Anyone looking for a female roommate PM me. I hate this feeling of not knowing where I am living yet! I'm sure in the end it will all come together though. Hasta luego.

I was just down in Forest Park and Oak Park the last couple days and looked at a ridiculous amount of apartments (one bedrooms and studios). The OPHC was really helpful and they have a ton of listings updated all the time so that is a good place to start to get to know the area, and it's free. They had, by far, the friendliest people I came across.

Beyond that you can call the different realtors in the area: Jerry Jacknow is who I rented from (extremely nice family owned realtor), but there is also MM, BAFCO, and GLA. Some of the large apartment buildings have phone numbers out front to call for inquiries on apartments.

Flop...it looks like you'll be right in downtown Forest Park (Madison is the main street in FP). Both downtown FP (madison) and OP (Lake St.) looked really cool to me and there are plenty of places to hang out and study...plus really cheap drink specials in Forest Park ($1.50 PBR PINTS!) Also, two lines of the El run right through both FP and OP so the area is all very well connected.

I will be living about three blocks from downtown Forest Park on Lathrop near Des Plaines in a one bedroom....I have a yard so let the outdoor bbq's commence! If anyone has any questions about companies, prices I saw, or specific apartments you can PM me.

if anyone is thinking of buying a place in downtown chicago and has suggestions on a great broker, please let me know. THANKS and I look forward to meeting up in July!

clowden said:
...plus really cheap drink specials in Forest Park ($1.50 PBR PINTS!)
Yikes - I didn't know people drank PBL unless they were trying to be funny. Man - I have a lot to learn about this new "starving student" concept.

Flopotomist said:
Yikes - I didn't know people drank PBL unless they were trying to be funny. Man - I have a lot to learn about this new "starving student" concept.

PBR rocks. I prefer it over all other crap beers. It kicks the snot out of Natty.

Flopotomist said:

It's not a starving student thing - it's a midwest thing. I hate to break it to you, but you're in for a little culture shock. :)

LaurieB said:
It's not a starving student thing - it's a midwest thing. I hate to break it to you, but you're in for a little culture shock. :)

Speak for yourself, some of us midwesterners still have some taste! ;)

LaurieB said:
I suppose I need to NOT order a Grey Goose Cosmo with a twist at any of the orientation functions lol.

Hey, is anyone going to be around this weekend? I am thinking that we should go to a bar or something, celebrate and so on to start up the summer. Let me know if you guys are interested at all, i figure downtown would be a better place than anything near loyola.

-Vit

bump... is no one going to be around this weekend??

Vitriol said:
Hey, is anyone going to be around this weekend? I am thinking that we should go to a bar or something, celebrate and so on to start up the summer. Let me know if you guys are interested at all, i figure downtown would be a better place than anything near loyola.

-Vit
I would... but I am in CA.

i would but i'm in boston. i'm with you in spirit and we should certainly do one of these closer to july 24th...

I just signed a lease - I got a place!! WOO HOO.. This is still not quite real for me yet. I am going to stress out soon though - I don't have much time in my schedule to "settle in" to the new place before orientation starts. I hope there is enough downtime during the first week for me to do things like find a bed, a sofa, get an Illinois drivers license, get my utilities started. AAACK - so much to do.

This is going to be so much fun though - I am super excited. (UCLA, don't go screwing this up by taking me off of the waitlist now!)

Flopotomist said:
I just signed a lease - I got a place!! WOO HOO.. This is still not quite real for me yet. I am going to stress out soon though - I don't have much time in my schedule to "settle in" to the new place before orientation starts. I hope there is enough downtime during the first week for me to do things like find a bed, a sofa, get an Illinois drivers license, get my utilities started. AAACK - so much to do.

This is going to be so much fun though - I am super excited. (UCLA, don't go screwing this up by taking me off of the waitlist now!)

The first week (orientation week) is not too bad. You'll probably get tired, but that's more because you'll be filling out lots of paperwork and you'll just be excited to be there. You're done by 4 or so every day (don't remember exactly...not bad though) and at night there's optional stuff to do with the M1's/M2's with a couple nights off. The stuff each night is really fun. But yeah, you'll have time to get stuff bought/moved in, etc...There's an IKEA not too far from school (maybe 1/2 hour) which has nice cheap furniture. See ya all in 6 weeks or so!