**Official Maryland Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellofuturedentists

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will not be attending this school, but I got in, so I figured I'd make a thread for it to say the following things to anxious applicants and ease all the speculation I saw last year for UMB:
1) Not everyone receives a supplemental. Generally, if you do, you will be invited for an interview.
2) You may have to wait a while from the time you submit your supplemental until the time you hear back about an interview (it might even be post-Dec, but it's still an interview!)
3) You might have to wait a while from the time you submit your AADSAS until the time you get a supplemental. For some, it took a few hours. Some took a few days. Some took longer.
4) Interview lunch is sandwiches.

It's a great school. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I will not be attending this school, but I got in, so I figured I'd make a thread for it to say the following things to anxious applicants and ease all the speculation I saw last year for UMB:
1) Not everyone receives a supplemental. Generally, if you do, you will be invited for an interview.
2) You may have to wait a while from the time you submit your supplemental until the time you hear back about an interview (it might even be post-Dec, but it's still an interview!)
3) You might have to wait a while from the time you submit your AADSAS until the time you get a supplemental. For some, it took a few hours. Some took a few days. Some took longer.
4) Interview lunch is sandwiches.

It's a great school. Good luck!

Is there some sort of cut off/criteria to receive a supplemental?

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there some sort of cut off/criteria to receive a supplemental?
I think it's the same criteria any other school would use to determine whether or not you get an interview. Those who received it super quickly last year were some of the first people to get their GPAs verified, I think.

I think it's the same criteria any other school would use to determine whether or not you get an interview. Those who received it super quickly last year were some of the first people to get their GPAs verified, I think.

If you don't receive the supplemental soon after you e-submit and have everything verified, that doesn't mean you're automatically rejected, right....? :nailbiting:

If you don't receive the supplemental soon after you e-submit and have everything verified, that doesn't mean you're automatically rejected, right....? :nailbiting:
lol of course not. And for all you know, you'll get a supplemental on Monday :)

Can you get a supplemental if you haven't paid the application fee? Only reason I ask is because when I paid and entered my AADDAS number the last digit got cut off for some reason. So I got the payment confirmation, but my number is missing a digit... I sent them an email, but I'm not sure how to confirm whether or not the payment is actually linked with my application.

Can you get a supplemental if you haven't paid the application fee? Only reason I ask is because when I paid and entered my AADDAS number the last digit got cut off for some reason. So I got the payment confirmation, but my number is missing a digit... I sent them an email, but I'm not sure how to confirm whether or not the payment is actually linked with my application.
I don't think so but maybe. You should call sometime next week to make sure it's linked.

This is my top choice. Going to submit my supplemental early next week, just finished it now but gunna proofread/revise it this weekend. Just hope I can grab an interview. I really love everything about this school.

Good luck everyone!
Hi, when did you have your GOA verified and esubmitted? Thanks for answering!

Hi, when did you have your GOA verified and esubmitted? Thanks for answering!
gpa verified on the 13th, received supplemental next day

e-submitted app on the 4th, paid the maryland supplemental afterwards I think.

maryland emailed me saying they received my app but i havent received a supplemental? is this normal?

maryland emailed me saying they received my app but i havent received a supplemental? is this normal?
Check back tomorrow. I got mine the day afterwards.

Edit: Just want to re-clarify, they will send 3 emails. First is that they received your app. The second is that it has been processed and sent to admissions for the review. I got these on the same day. The next day I got the supplemental (3rd email).

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they email you that they received your app? I didn't even get this email yet
Yeah, that's the first email I got. The second one was that they have processed my app and sent it to admissions. Nothing after that.

Yeah, that's the first email I got. The second one was that they have processed my app and sent it to admissions. Nothing after that.

How far apart were the two emails?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

How far apart were the two emails?

E-mails 1&2 (same day): Application received & forwarded to admissions committee for review

E-mail 3: (7 days later) Supplemental Application.

Last edited:
Did y'all get the email that your application was received after it says it had been mailed from AADSAS or only after your gpa was verified? My gpa was verified last Thursday but I still haven't gotten any emails about anything. Whether my application had been received or that it was forwarded to the admissions committee.

Did y'all get the email that your application was received after it says it had been mailed from AADSAS or only after your gpa was verified? My gpa was verified last Thursday but I still haven't gotten any emails about anything. Whether my application had been received or that it was forwarded to the admissions committee.

Chill chill. Don't worry, you'll get it sometime this week.

I think @hellofuturedentists is right when she writes that
Not everyone receives a supplemental. Generally, if you do, you will be invited for an interview.
I just looked at the supplemental e-mail I got from Maryland. At the bottom, it says the following: "We are pleased that you are considering the University of Maryland School of Dentistry and look forward to the opportunity to meet you!"

(I bolded it, but the language is the same).

This suggests to me that supplemental = interview.

I think @hellofuturedentists is right when she writes that
I just looked at the supplemental e-mail I got from Maryland. At the bottom, it says the following: "We are pleased that you are considering the University of Maryland School of Dentistry and look forward to the opportunity to meet you!"

(I bolded it, but the language is the same).

This suggests to me that supplemental = interview.

Lol not sure if that really means much. They wrote me the same thing.

Lol not sure if that really means much. They wrote me the same thing.

Yah and you got a supplemental right?

They never mentioned wanting to meet me in the first two e-mails- only in the supplemental e-mail! I'm not neurotic, I promise.

They never mentioned wanting to meet me in the first two e-mails- only in the supplemental e-mail! I'm not neurotic, I promise.

Past Maryland threads have shown that a supplemental =/= an interview, so it's not guaranteed. And nothing in their email implies it's guaranteed. Once you finished the supplemental, they will determine if you advance to the interview stage.

Last edited:
Past Maryland threads have shown that a supplemental =/= an interview, so please don't say that. And nothing in their email implies it's guaranteed. Once you finished the supplemental, they will determine if you advance to the interview stage.

Oh really? My bad- I was getting a little excited, haha. Thank you for correcting me.

Past Maryland threads have shown that a supplemental =/= an interview, so please don't say that. And nothing in their email implies it's guaranteed. Once you finished the supplemental, they will determine if you advance to the interview stage.

Edit: What's also interesting is that they read your letters of recommendation right before the interview, so they don't even use that part to determine interview eligibility. I know this because I recently called them and they told me that.
Actually, I think it's still mostly true that supplemental leads to an interview. If I remember correctly, some people last year got supplementals early but their interviews were post-December. I could be wrong though. It's safest to say that if you don't get a supplemental, you won't be interviewed. But, you could always get a supplemental later.

I didn't know that second part, though. That's interesting. I wonder why they do that.

Yep I got a supplemental. did you submit it yet?

For those who got supplementals, how long did it take from the time you received an email saying your app was under review and the time you got the supplemental?

For those who got supplementals, how long did it take from the time you received an email saying your app was under review and the time you got the supplemental?

E-mails 1&2 (same day): Application received & forwarded to admissions committee for review

E-mail 3: (7 days later) Supplemental Application.

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh this thread is getting me hype... I haven't taken my DAT yet but MD is my dream school

Reactions: 1 users
It is a LONG supplemental. Lots of essays!
2 of the questions are 1000 character limited, so that's a short paragraph. Last one asks to be brief, so another short paragraph. The other remaining questions I wrote 1-2 paragraphs.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh this thread is getting me hype... I haven't taken my DAT yet but MD is my dream school
Xx9EBhz.gif

Last edited:
Actually, I think it's still mostly true that supplemental leads to an interview. If I remember correctly, some people last year got supplementals early but their interviews were post-December. I could be wrong though. It's safest to say that if you don't get a supplemental, you won't be interviewed. But, you could always get a supplemental later.

I didn't know that second part, though. That's interesting. I wonder why they do that.
Actually I might be wrong about what I said about the LOR part. I think they only read them when they do interview considerations which start August or something.

Actually I might be wrong about what I said about the LOR part. I think they only read them when they do interview considerations which start August or something.
Yup they only read lors during on your interview date

Hello. I will be a D1 in the Fall. If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a PM. I hope other students will jump on the forum in the future and help.

Here is my timeline:
Mid-July: I added Maryland after e-submitting my application the first week of June
Mid-July: I received two emails - (1) my application was received, (2) application fee instructions
Mid-July: I received an email that my application was processed
Late July: I received the supplemental
September: I received an interview invitation scheduled for November

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hello. I will be a D1 in the Fall. If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a PM. I hope other students will jump on the forum in the future and help.

Here is my timeline:
July 17ish: I added Maryland after e-submitting my application the first week of June
July 21: I received two emails - (1) my application was received, (2) application fee instructions
July 22: I received an email that my application was processed
July 30: I received the supplemental
Sept. 16: I received an interview invitation scheduled for November

Good luck!
What was the interview process like? Did you feel like you stood a good chance after the interview?

What was the interview process like? Did you feel like you stood a good chance after the interview?

It was my favorite interview, because it was relaxed and not an interrogation. I had a few laughs during my interview. I had a faculty and a student who took notes on a tablet/computer. It was about 30 minutes long. There were no tricky questions, but I would advise everybody to be able to answer the basic questions perfectly. I felt great after my interview. I walked out feeling the school and I were a great match.

There were about 20 interviewees. I believe we were all OOS. We took a tour around the facility and gym. Lunch was simple, and we had plenty of time to get to know the students that were present.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
If anyone has ANY questions about this school (I am a third year student) or ANY school in general, the application process, etc. Feel free to ask me either here or via a message :)

If anyone has ANY questions about this school (I am a third year student) or ANY school in general, the application process, etc. Feel free to ask me either here or via a message :)

Just applied here today! How easy has it been for you (or your fellow peers) to get IS tuition after the first year? Looking forward to a potential interview! DC is sweet and I've heard that your area of Baltimore aint too shabby :)

Are those that received supplementals from MD or OOS? Got verified and mailed in the first batch, got confirmation of the app on the 27th, but still no supplemental.

Are those that received supplementals from MD or OOS? Got verified and mailed in the first batch, got confirmation of the app on the 27th, but still no supplemental.
Patience is a virtue my friend. :xf:

Baltimore > DC in a lot of ways. Less tourists and cheaper cost of living ;)

I was IS from the get-go (lucky I know), but getting IS status can be straightforward. A lot people are denied the first time, so they appeal and then get it. If you do what you NEED to do (drivers license, register your car, etc.) and establish you are here for "reasons other than school/education" if is do-able. If you have taxes, file them as a Maryland resident. Try to live off campus (the rent is cheaper 90% of the time too). You have to live in Maryland for 12 months before you can apply, so get the ball rolling once you are accepted and try to move-in sooner rather than later. I recommend June or July. Join a church, do community service outside of school opportunities, get a part time job (and file your taxes!), start a relationship

Has anyone received a supplemental invite after responding to a "file on hold" email?

14 days still no supplemental, is it possible to receive the supplemental later than the summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.