OFFICIAL MCAT cutoffs for diffrerent schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honeybee86

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the official MCAT cut-offs for all the DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

i think another important question is the SECONDARY CUTOFFS for schools, as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not getting into GA-PCOM with less than a 40, unless you're really good-looking.

Lecom is 21 or 22

is that true?
no, ignore Texas Triathlete's sarcastic remarks. He loves to interject everywhere.

The best way for your to look at this would be to look at each school website for yourself. I wouldn't take what SDN has for current information. If someone has compiled a list for everyone and updated it recently and wants to share, that would be great.

Does anyone know the official MCAT cut-offs for all the DO schools?

Sigh, why don't you try asking in the pre-allo form what the official MCAT cut-offs is for all the MD schools. Sound ridiculous? Because it is. The answer is there is no way to know for sure. The majority of schools do not list any cut-off.

Cut to the chase. If you want an assessment of your chances getting into a school, just post your numbers and we'll tell you what we think. It blows me away that people are so self-concious that they aren't willing to expose themselves to critical judgement even on an ANONYMOUS forum.

Otherwise, I recommend contacting each school directly and asking them for their thoughts. That is the most reliable answer you'll receive.

Sigh, why don't you try asking in the pre-allo form what the official MCAT cut-offs is for all the MD schools. Sound ridiculous? Because it is. The answer is there is no way to know for sure. The majority of schools do not list any cut-off.

Cut to the chase. If you want an assessment of your chances getting into a school, just post your numbers and we'll tell you what we think. It blows me away that people are so self-concious that they aren't willing to expose themselves to critical judgement even on an ANONYMOUS forum.

Otherwise, I recommend contacting each school directly and asking them for their thoughts. That is the most reliable answer you'll receive.

The information honeybee is asking for would also be helpful to those who have yet to take the MCAT. I don't think anonymous humiliation is the answer to everything... there are no stupid questions! (just stupid people)

he asks the golden question....I think they also have a cutoff for each subsection if I'm not mistaken...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is a useless question because the cutoff is usually pretty low. If you score near the cutoff then you should retake anyway. If you have a 4.0 then you might be ok at some schools, but if any school has a cutoff in the 18-20 range then you are not scoring so hot anyway. Cutoff doesn't equal acceptance. It is just a nice way to thin out the herd a bit. If you are truly worried about making the cutoff...Well, you probably aren't that strong of an applicant and need to do something to improve that.

OP,

you should be interested in the avg scores not the cutoff. each school uses their own formulas that probably changes each year.

DO schools are continuously getting more and more applications each year, thus avg will continue to increase. I would say that the top DO schools are close to many MD schools in average scores of entering class.

just do the best you can and not worry about cutoffs

Does anyone know where we can find a compiled list of MCAT averages since osteopathic schools aren't included in the MSAR? I realize every school probably has it listed on their website, but I'm wondering if someone out there has already made a list of it. I tried doing a search, but only found a few old threads with many schools missing.

This makes me happy! I am above all the cutoffs and tied with Touro! Now it just depends on the randomness besides the 2 important gems.

The information honeybee is asking for would also be helpful to those who have yet to take the MCAT. I don't think anonymous humiliation is the answer to everything... there are no stupid questions! (just stupid people)

I am not trying to humiliate anyone. Just being honest. All I'm saying is you won't find the answer here. How would any of us know? Most schools do not list such information partly because many of them don't have a cutoff. The ones that do have a cutoff probably won't say so (frankly, application fees are a nice way to generate quick and easy money).

But if you're looking for anecdotal evidence of someone with a poor MCAT getting into a DO school, well I guess I can help you with that. I do know of someone with a 19 on the MCAT that made it. Normally I wouldn't have thought he'd have a chance anywhere (neither did he, since he was already planning to re-take the MCATs the following year), but he was unexpectedly accepted at the last minute on the basis of his superb GPA (3.9 overall, 4.0 science; class valedictorian), LOR's and extracurriculars (EMT 2+ years, TA for anatomy lab 1 semester). He's a MS3 now, passed boards without a problem and is planning to pursue orthopedic surgery.

I am not trying to humiliate anyone. Just being honest. All I'm saying is you won't find the answer here. How would any of us know? Most schools do not list such information partly because many of them don't have a cutoff. The ones that do have a cutoff probably won't say so (frankly, application fees are a nice way to generate quick and easy money).

But if you're looking for anecdotal evidence of someone with a poor MCAT getting into a DO school, well I guess I can help you with that. I do know of someone with a 19 on the MCAT that made it. Normally I wouldn't have thought he'd have a chance anywhere (neither did he, since he was already planning to re-take the MCATs the following year), but he was unexpectedly accepted at the last minute on the basis of his superb GPA (3.9 overall, 4.0 science; class valedictorian), LOR's and extracurriculars (EMT 2+ years, TA for anatomy lab 1 semester). He's a MS3 now, passed boards without a problem and is planning to pursue orthopedic surgery.

Thats why I hate the test, I know is essential and has a purpose but....

You're not getting into GA-PCOM with less than a 40, unless you're really good-looking.

total lies. now pcom philly on the other hand... Well we have alot of smart guys and goodlooking chicks... (they may be smart as well.) :laugh:

I talked to Midwestern/CCOM and the cut off for them was 24 MCAT to receive a supp. application, is that what you all mean by cut off's? and the average of those accepted was 27-28.

anyone know NSU-COM's?

and 18 is a really low cut off for MSU-COM and UNECOM, does that mean they take people with low MCAT scores sometimes?

Honestly please everyone ... don't pay attention to the 'cut offs.' They are there probably just because the school had to post an absolute minimum. I don't care if UNECOM put 18 ... unless you are a URM with a 4.0 who cured cancer ... you are going to struggle with an 18. That's just not acceptable. Try to do your best, don't ask/shoot for cutoffs and if you find yourself asking because you fear being below some ... retake the MCAT.

I talked to Midwestern/CCOM and the cut off for them was 24 MCAT to receive a supp. application, is that what you all mean by cut off's? and the average of those accepted was 27-28.

i don't know if they raised it from last year but i know people who got secondaries with much lower than that. the lowest i know of was a 21 and a guy i know with a 20 didn't get one...so i'd say around there

Honestly please everyone ... don't pay attention to the 'cut offs.' They are there probably just because the school had to post an absolute minimum. I don't care if UNECOM put 18 ... unless you are a URM with a 4.0 who cured cancer ... you are going to struggle with an 18. That's just not acceptable. Try to do your best, don't ask/shoot for cutoffs and if you find yourself asking because you fear being below some ... retake the MCAT.

will you stop it with the rational posts and useful, helpful knowledge. if someone wants to try to get in with a 4L (got that extra point on verbal!) then let them try.

this message paid for by the "Association for Committees who Love to Take Secondary Fees from Applicants with no Chance at an Interview".

will you stop it with the rational posts and useful, helpful knowledge. if someone wants to try to get in with a 4L (got that extra point on verbal!) then let them try.

this message paid for by the "Association for Committees who Love to Take Secondary Fees from Applicants with no Chance at an Interview".

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

just by any chance, does anyone know the MCAT cut-offs for interview for med. schools in midwest particularly IL?

I just want to make the statement that it is my GOAL this year to not be below any MCAT cutoff at any of the DO schools!!!!
i hate what happened last time around...i sucked

where did he go to undergrad, little sisters of the poor community college?

not to be mean, but if you are the valedictorian and 4.0 science and got a 19 on the MCAT (even if we give him an excuse for VR) there is something DEFINITELY wrong with his undergraduate degree

where did he go to undergrad, little sisters of the poor community college?

not to be mean, but if you are the valedictorian and 4.0 science and got a 19 on the MCAT (even if we give him an excuse for VR) there is something DEFINITELY wrong with his undergraduate degree

Some people just dont test well. Anxiety, is a mother....!

Some people just dont test well. Anxiety, is a mother....!

That is a factor. However, more importantly, it shows that undergrad institutions are NOT created equal, and gpa should be judged accordingly. If someone went to a CC for their pre-med, then transferred to a small, private college (*note, I'm not saying there is anything wrong at all with any of this, simply using it all to make a point) their gpa is probably going to be higher than someone who toughs it out with 200 people per science class at a large, research based, public university. This usually shows through in lop sided MCAT/Gpa averages.

very good point

it defines how you rank those small, private colleges are well.

i know for a fact i could have gone to any state school where my friends went and easily have gotten a 3.5 CUM, instead I pick a top 20 liberal arts private school, 2.8 SCI GPA and 3.2 overall.

Right, and if I'd just chosen '24' in the lotto last night I would be a millionaire about now... I know that for a fact.

very good point

it defines how you rank those small, private colleges are well.

i know for a fact i could have gone to any state school where my friends went and easily have gotten a 3.5 CUM, instead I pick a top 20 liberal arts private school, 2.8 SCI GPA and 3.2 overall.

Trust me, you're not alone ....

Excuses are not becoming, ladies.

This is quickly becoming the cry baby excuse thread - from test anxiety to the type of school... unbelievable. :thumbdown:

Jagger - I'll pop back in here in about an hour to view your 3 paragraph defensive response... :smuggrin:

dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with going to a state/public university and doing well, but for instance the story/example above just raises huge red flags in my mind, i know it is an extreme case, but honestly what type of 4.0 SCI 3.9 valedictorian gets a 19 on the MCAT?

i am curious to know who posted that, where the person went to undergrad.

E-till.

Great teacher.. Casteel is hard i agree. I got a B- and C+ in orgo, so yeah...

I had Tillman for a senior research seminar too and ti was great, he is really a well put together guy

Most horrible prof at bucknell is Bio I prof..forgot her name..Dr mary something?

HAHAHA howe?

she left..

about 2 years ago now, my friends had her frosh year for 206 and they regretted it.

she's acutally really knowledge just not a good teacher by any means

but honestly what type of 4.0 SCI 3.9 valedictorian gets a 19 on the MCAT?

I can agree with that statement but let's keep the whining to a minimum. I didn't go to a public school either but I also don't make excuses for my situation. I've adapted and am making the best out of my situation, mediocre GPA and strong MCAT. I'm not overly critical of my individual circumstances, it's just how it is.

HAHAHA howe?

she left..

about 2 years ago now, my friends had her frosh year for 206 and they regretted it.

she's acutally really knowledge just not a good teacher by any means

ahaha yes howe. I swear she didnt know how to teach..she knew her stuff but really frustrating if you take her..she left?? whoa.

theirryhenry - one thing though..I know bucknell is known for engineering..so physics must be hard BUT I took orgo with Tillman and currently retaking at a state school.. Honestly..this prof at my state school is explaining ALOT better than what tillman did. in other words, i am learning orgo and understanding it much better..maybe cuz its my second time with orgo..thats why probably..but overall i think this prof at a state school is doing a MUCH BETTER job. so i think it really depends..some classes at state schools are sitll hard.

i mean come on it's a fact

and it's bull****. I get sick and tired of seeing people with 3.75 + GPA's from clown universities, who get 19 on their on MCAT.

If you are a 4.0 in all your science classes, regardless of anxiety and you get a 19 on the MCAT Something is very wrong with your institute.

I have no excuses, I am not worried, sure it puts at me at disadvantage with my numbers, but I know how hard I worked, and I know others who got to "state or public" schools and their curic, and what they have had to do and i know in the end my degree and my hard work will pay off more...it is just depressing that academic institute really isn't taken into account in the medical application process unlike any other graduate program it seems

bucknell is ranked as one of the top 5 engineering schools in the United States (public+private) all engineers are required to take PHYSICS in their first year. No Pre-med's even take physics @ our school unless they have to (in which case I was) resulting in two C's.

If i would have taken this @ Ohio State or Kent State or Ohio University it wouldh ave been an easy A i know for a fact; but I know what I had to do to get that C, and it hopefully paid off (haven't gotten MCAT scores back yet but yeah)..

I was at my physics prof's office hours one day and he stopped tutoring me for a second to take a call. He talks on the phone for about a minute, hangs up, and says "that was one of my colleagues who teaches engineering physics. The average on his last exam was a 7."

"7 out of what?" I ask.

"100"

I took the physics for pre-meds suggested by our school, which is another engineering powerhouse (University of Texas). It was calc-based, and hard as ****. I really struggled to get a B and a C in the classes, and then I thought that MCAT physics was a joke.

I would agree that a school that really makes you work for your grades will pay off in the long run. However, these people don't necessarily have a lot of choice in the matter. My school is so big on research, and our student body is so huge, that they have tons of professors, and it could be any of them teaching in any given semester. Some are really good, and some suck balls.

Incidentally, The two best professors I had were also the hardest.