*Official MCAT January 2017 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Singerpremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know there are many people who are also studying for the MCAT in January and I would like to connect with you guys and get insights. I'm currently taking a live online Kaplan MCAT course. I go to the University of Florida.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Jan 28th, approaching quicker than I would like it to! Anyone else worrying about staying focused and making enough time over the holiday season? I can see it being easy to get distracted while traveling home for the holidays & doing family stuff (for me at least)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I'm taking mine Jan 28! If anyone would like to go over topics or have someone keep you accountable via Skype let me know. Happy studying!

Anyone want a texting partner? Cuss I'm never on my laptop to Skype, or kik or whatsapp or whatever

Signing up for 1/28. Retaker, wasn't happy with my score from the Sept exam, need to improve my sciences. First time I studied for the MCAT was last summer though, but I ended up canceling last minute. So this is my second retake but my third take at prep. Here's to hoping it's the last, this test has be really worn me down already.

Anyone know what time registration opens up tmrw?

Have you guys started studying? I haven't yet, going to this week, hoping it's not too late but march just seems too far away to sign up for. Also worried about holidays and stuff, I already know I'll have 1-2wks of time where I won't be able to study. Just gotta plan around it and keep other distractions at a minimum I guess. B

Signing up for 1/28. Retaker, wasn't happy with my score from the Sept exam, need to improve my sciences. First time I studied for the MCAT was last summer though, but I ended up canceling last minute. So this is my second retake but my third take at prep. Here's to hoping it's the last, this test has be really worn me down already.

Anyone know what time registration opens up tmrw?

Have you guys started studying? I haven't yet, going to this week, hoping it's not too late but march just seems too far away to sign up for. Also worried about holidays and stuff, I already know I'll have 1-2wks of time where I won't be able to study. Just gotta plan around it and keep other distractions at a minimum I guess. B
Yea I have started studying because I know my holiday schedule will be the same. Although I'm having trouble finding a good pace for content review...still feels like I'm just getting organized and getting the ball rolling. I've never used Anki before but I'm giving that a try and already have like 500 cards in.
It doesn't say what time registration opens tomorrow morning on the AAMC site but I assume sometime in the morning

Looks like registration is open? Woke up at 7, checked the aamc twitter page and nothing yet so've been waiting but just went to see if I can log in to register and there's already a virtual line

Looks like registration is open? Woke up at 7, checked the aamc twitter page and nothing yet so've been waiting but just went to see if I can log in to register and there's already a virtual line

Yeah, I refreshed at 7 AM and it was working then. I got my preferred testing site and date – January 28, here I come!

Registered for 1/28!! *looks at bank account apologetically*, lets hope the third times the charm for me guys.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone notice there's alot less testing centers this year (atleast for the 28th test date). I live in California and there was nothing between San Jose and Ventura which are several hundred miles apart. Kind of annoying since there was one in my town last year at the state university..

What prep are you guys using? I feel like I've exhausted my other material. I had the kaplan set before which didn't really come with that many questions anyways but thats used and expired. I used TBR too but I've done a lot of those passages to death and tbh some of them are so detailed and hard that they mainly just unmotivated me.

I downloaded some old EK 1001 books off reddit but idk how helpful they will be towards this new exam, other than bio the chem and physics books aren't passage based Qs so I'm not sure they're even worth doing. I have an old TPR hyper learning science workbook so hopefully that will be more helpful

Last edited:
What prep are you guys using? I feel like I've exhausted my other material. I had the kaplan set before which didn't really come with that many questions anyways but thats used and expired. I used TBR too but I've done a lot of those passages to death and tbh some of them are so detailed and hard that they mainly just unmotivated me.

I downloaded some old EK 1001 books off reddit but idk how helpful they will be towards this new exam, other than bio the chem and physics books aren't passage based Qs so I'm not sure they're even worth doing. I have an old TPR hyper learning science workbook so hopefully that will be more helpful

Khan academy has a lot of questions, although I heard they aren't necessarily representative. I'm definitely going to be watching a lot of their videos.

Hey guys! Taking my MCAT in January as well. For a FULL content review, I've been working on Kaplan since September and starting in December I plan on going over all the questions/passages in TBR and going over any additional material through Khan Academy. I also plan on taking practice exams every Saturday for 6-7 weeks prior to the exam. Thoughts? How many practice exams should I take prior to the MCAT? Thanks! :biglove:

To anyone taking it on Jan 19th... how are you studying??

And does anyone know where I can get EK pdfs???

Last edited:
In a Kaplan course.. doing lots of content review and PBQs. Will be doing a full length this week after reviewing more content. Then I plan to do more review/PBQs for about two more weeks before I start doing more full lengths. Half of dec and Jan will be devoted to AAMC materials

Registered for January 28th! My plan is taking FLs every other week, then every week starting December, reviewing those to target areas for content review, and doing AAMC materials in between.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I plan on taking this beast in late January as well, anybody interested in exchanging emails to talk about specific questions? using TBR,Princeton and EK

gearing up for my second attempt at this test and I just started studying yesterday. focusing a lot more on practice tests than content review this time around

How is everyone doing? Just under 10 weeks to go!

How are you all doing on content review/practice tests? I'm about 1/2 of the way through content and have gotten a 507 (Kaplan) and 508 (NS) on the 2 FLs I took so far in November. Glad they are consistent and hoping more content review keeps it rising! I've been out of undergrad for about 7 years, so lots of content review....Frankly I had forgotten how much I just don't give a f*** about physics.

Im probably taking my first real full length in the next few days. Been freaking out because I got some days behind because the bio biochemistry section in Kaplan Course was so heavy it took me longer but behavioral science I can catch up in at least. I started to consider a reschedule but I should probably take some FLs before making such decisions lol. I hate looking at physics. Yuck

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Finishing up content review. Took NS 1/2 diagnostic few days ago - 507. Taking a TPR FL day after Thanksgiving.

Happy holidays.

I'm thinking of potentially rescheduling, I lost about 2 weeks of time because we had an unexpected death in the family and it's been hard getting back on track, especially since I was slightly behind prior to that. I feel like I'm back at square one and I'm worried there won't be enough time, especially with holidays coming around. Like tomorrow, I'm almost more nervous of the study time that I'm going to lose than being happy about celebrating the holiday

I'm thinking of potentially rescheduling, I lost about 2 weeks of time because we had an unexpected death in the family and it's been hard getting back on track, especially since I was slightly behind prior to that. I feel like I'm back at square one and I'm worried there won't be enough time, especially with holidays coming around. Like tomorrow, I'm almost more nervous of the study time that I'm going to lose than being happy about celebrating the holiday

Have you taken any practice tests to see how close you are to where you want to be?

Better to delay to March if you really won't be ready. You will still be able to get your applications in right away.

August 2016 test taker here. Joining the thread to answer any questions, provide any support, or help anyone on their path to crushing the test in 2017 :) I couldn't have done well on the MCAT without support from SDN so I'm just hoping to give back as much as possible.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else feeling behind on content review? I just finished bio and biochem but haven't started anything else...worried about not having enough time to fit it all in. Is anyone taking FL practice tests before finishing content review?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else feeling behind on content review? I just finished bio and biochem but haven't started anything else...worried about not having enough time to fit it all in. Is anyone taking FL practice tests before finishing content review?
This same thing happened to me. I've got a 3 more chapters for behavioral but yeah got behind because of the bio biochemistry section
* Sorry I got confused. I meant on the Kaplan biochem/bio section for unit 2 I got behind on. I'll be hopefully taking my first FL by Monday.

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Hey! I'm sort of in the same boat. I finished most of psych/soc and all of bio chem. Lagging behind with physics/chem( half way with both) and some of bio. I am still going to start my FLS next week. And target my studying from there.