*Official MCAT January 2017 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Singerpremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know there are many people who are also studying for the MCAT in January and I would like to connect with you guys and get insights. I'm currently taking a live online Kaplan MCAT course. I go to the University of Florida.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
January 28th test taker

My Kap test have been dropping, that worries me.
FL 1 501, FL2 507 Fl3 505 FL4 508 FL5 507 FL6 506 FL7 505

Any thoughts on the CARS section? is it me or are they getting way harder, I tend to hover around 124-126 and suddenly the BIO section seem to get harder at exam 6.

I have couple of questions on AAMC sample test C/P section. Did you guys understand these two questions?

Question #38: Organic Chemistry mechanism asking which carbons will be labeled. Does anyone understand what mechanism/reaction is happening to see why only the answer’s carbons are labeled? I remember orgo, but I’m really confused on how to answer this.

Second Question: I don’t remember the question number. Why is the sodium cation smaller than the chloride anion? Doesn’t the trend of atomic size increase as you go down and to the right of the periodic table? And aren’t anions smaller than cations?

It is actually the opposite anions are larger than cations for the same atomic number (so Ca2+ compared to Cl -) Ionic radii you can think of as dependent not only on the nucleus with protons and neutrons but the electron cloud surrounding the nucleus. Because cations have excessive positive charge their electron cloud will be pulled closer to the nucleus giving them a smaller ionic radius than their atomic radius (which is their radius when they are a neutral element). On the other hand because of the excessive negative charge on anions, their electron cloud will be more spread out giving them a larger ionic radius than atomic radius.

And I remember that question. Its hard to explain in writing basically when they draw out the reaction steps, they tell you where the radioactive carbons were incorporated you just have to follow the reactions and make sure you dont get lost. I dont have the question in front of me but I think it was just a decarboxylation reaction or something.

I have couple of questions on AAMC sample test C/P section. Did you guys understand these two questions?

Question #38: Organic Chemistry mechanism asking which carbons will be labeled. Does anyone understand what mechanism/reaction is happening to see why only the answer’s carbons are labeled? I remember orgo, but I’m really confused on how to answer this.

Second Question: I don’t remember the question number. Why is the sodium cation smaller than the chloride anion? Doesn’t the trend of atomic size increase as you go down and to the right of the periodic table? And aren’t anions smaller than cations?

Question #38: My reasoning was very stupid but worked for that question... In reaction 2 I did not exactly follow a detailed mechanism but I remembered from orgo that the -CH3 of Acetyl CoA (which is radiolabeled) is a very poor leaving group so I guess we should treat as a nucleophile combined with the fact that in the Krebs Cycle when Succinyl-CoA changes to Succinate it switches S-CoA for a carboxylate (COO-) so that for me was enough to figure out the "mechanism". After you have that settled down, I think it's easy to follow which carbons are radiolabeled. I know it sounds crazy.

Second Question: ELI5 Explanation: If we remove one electron, there will be less repulsion among them making the radius smaller, so cations tend to get smaller. If we add an electron, there is going to be more repulsion among them in the shells, and that would make the radius bigger, so anions tend to get bigger. I'm over simplifying stuff here, but you can test it using effective nuclear charge.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, can't figure out what to do in my last few days before classes start up again. I had been planning on taking NS 3 this week, AAMC FL 2 next week, and NS 4 the week before Jan. 28. This week I will be finishing up the Section Banks and Question Packs, and I'm wondering if I would be better served working on patching up my weaknesses (I haven't had time to go back and relearn after reviewing answers yet) or take the FL to work on my endurance? I don't think my endurance is that bad (although I definitely felt less patient in the second half during AAMC FL 1), although I'm also not sure how much review I would be able to get done otherwise.

Hmm, can't figure out what to do in my last few days before classes start up again. I had been planning on taking NS 3 this week, AAMC FL 2 next week, and NS 4 the week before Jan. 28. This week I will be finishing up the Section Banks and Question Packs, and I'm wondering if I would be better served working on patching up my weaknesses (I haven't had time to go back and relearn after reviewing answers yet) or take the FL to work on my endurance? I don't think my endurance is that bad (although I definitely felt less patient in the second half during AAMC FL 1), although I'm also not sure how much review I would be able to get done otherwise.
I think this week is a great week to do the section banks and also to do the Official guide questions, its like a half test! I am retaking the mcat on the 28th and I found that my scores went way up by just doing tons of practice questions I went from a 505 (June 18) on the actual to a 512 on the official scored 1 (130/126/128/128) and a solid AAMC Sample test score (85%/72%/90%/80%) both of which I got last week prior to that I got a 504 on FL 1 with Kaplan and that was at the beginning of December.

Do you guys know if Kaplan has changed their scale at all since the summer to make it more difficult/lenient?

It is actually the opposite anions are larger than cations for the same atomic number (so Ca2+ compared to Cl -) Ionic radii you can think of as dependent not only on the nucleus with protons and neutrons but the electron cloud surrounding the nucleus. Because cations have excessive positive charge their electron cloud will be pulled closer to the nucleus giving them a smaller ionic radius than their atomic radius (which is their radius when they are a neutral element). On the other hand because of the excessive negative charge on anions, their electron cloud will be more spread out giving them a larger ionic radius than atomic radius.

And I remember that question. Its hard to explain in writing basically when they draw out the reaction steps, they tell you where the radioactive carbons were incorporated you just have to follow the reactions and make sure you dont get lost. I dont have the question in front of me but I think it was just a decarboxylation reaction or something.

That makes sense! Thanks!

January 28th test taker

My Kap test have been dropping, that worries me.
FL 1 501, FL2 507 Fl3 505 FL4 508 FL5 507 FL6 506 FL7 505

Any thoughts on the CARS section? is it me or are they getting way harder, I tend to hover around 124-126 and suddenly the BIO section seem to get harder at exam 6.

I feel the same way. CARS was particularly difficult on FL6. I got a 123 on that and I've never scored that low before...(since my diagnostic)

Anyone else feeling really discouraged by AACOMAS' decision to dump grade replacement today? I just got the email.

hi guys, i'm taking Jan 28 :) not sure what to think of my full-length scores because they're improving but then EK 1 kinda wrecked my confidence, i got a 70%. Shooting for a 516+. I'm taking the AAMC FL 1 tomorrow so we'll see how that goes. overall trying to keep a positive outlook, I know I can do this! and you guys all can too.

Do you guys know if Kaplan has changed their scale at all since the summer to make it more difficult/lenient?
I've seen it mentioned by a couple of Kaplan tutors on reddit that it's closer to a +5 or 6 than the +10 from early last year and before.

I feel the same way. CARS was particularly difficult on FL6. I got a 123 on that and I've never scored that low before...(since my diagnostic)
worse part is the Kap Cars do not feel like the AAMC pack, it feels like AAMC is testing something else, not necessarily easier, just different, not sure if there is a company out there that does it quite right.

Did anyone take EK5 full length yet? How would you compare its difficulty to AAMC 1 and 2? Just finished it and felt like it was the hardest full length I have ever taken. Just want to see others' opinions on the difficulty of this newly released test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I have already taken or plan to take NS diagnostic, NS1, AAMC sample test, AAMC practice exams 1 & 2. If I have time for one more full length which one that closely resembles AAMC would you recommend?

Hey guys! I have already taken or plan to take NS diagnostic, NS1, AAMC sample test, AAMC practice exams 1 & 2. If I have time for one more full length which one that closely resembles AAMC would you recommend?
Next step 2, or one of the examkrackers tests.

Is anyone else feeling a bit burned out or unmotivated? I keep wishing that my AAMC FL was the real thing and everything was over and done with :/

Reactions: 1 users
worse part is the Kap Cars do not feel like the AAMC pack, it feels like AAMC is testing something else, not necessarily easier, just different, not sure if there is a company out there that does it quite right.
I agree with you on this, I took the test in June and I am retaking it now. What I noticed was that the cars section from Kaplan didn't help me that much for the AAMC material. However, the C/P and B/B sections were much harder from Kaplan and I would get like 127s every time but now that I am taking the AAMC material I am getting 129-130 on everything and averaging around 90% raw score. CARS QPACK 1 was nasty!

Next step 2, or one of the examkrackers tests.

In order to get access to NS 2, you need to buy it from someone directly bc the website sells its test in bundles of 4. If you don't want to do that, there is also the free NS half-length that comes with the diagnostic and FL 1

Thanks! Are all EKs (1 through 5) same level of difficulty?
IDK, I've only taken the first one, but I thought it replicated how the AAMC will ask a lot of questions about experimental design and conclusions that can be drawn from research.

In order to get access to NS 2, you need to buy it from someone directly bc the website sells its test in bundles of 4. If you don't want to do that, there is also the free NS half-length that comes with the diagnostic and FL 1

thanks! I have already taken the NS half length diagnostic and plan to take the NS1 soon.

For those that have done the Psych section bank did you struggle with the first passage about auditory attention tests in pilots? I took and had little idea what the questions were getting at.

For those that have done the Psych section bank did you struggle with the first passage about auditory attention tests in pilots? I took and had little idea what the questions were getting at.
Yeah, I didn't do very well on the section bank. I got 90% on CARS, it seems easy, but the other sections had some questions that seemed weird. That pilot question was strange

Anyone else feeling really discouraged by AACOMAS' decision to dump grade replacement today? I just got the email.
Are you sure about this? Their website still says that they take the most recent grade in the course

Meaning that most people score 5-6 pts ABOVE their Kaplan scores?

I don't think this is completely accurate...on the real exam I scored exactly within the same range that I was scoring on my Kap FL's. I also might be an outlier...either way, don't let the Kap scores get your hopes up.

I've done some practice CARS passages from NS and they don't seem to test the same way that AAMC does either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Guess we just have to go with the qpacks.

I don't think this is completely accurate...on the real exam I scored exactly within the same range that I was scoring on my Kap FL's. I also might be an outlier...either way, don't let the Kap scores get your hopes up.

As long as it doesn't mean most people score WORSE than their Kaplan scores, I'm ok with it.

I've been remarkably consistent across testing companies, so I don't think I'm going to magically bump up five points because I happen to be sitting in the official test-taking room. Although, guess it depends on where I fall on Yerkes-Dodson's arousal graph... :laugh: :bookworm:

Can anyone give me a good definition of the difference between Health Disparities and Healthcare Disparities? Going over the Foundational concepts for P/S and I am having troubling understanding the difference.

Can anyone give me a good definition of the difference between Health Disparities and Healthcare Disparities? Going over the Foundational concepts for P/S and I am having troubling understanding the difference.

I think healthcare disparities refers to differences in access to healthcare – the factors that prevent certain groups of people from being able to access healthcare/preventative care (e.g. socioeconomic), and historical reasons why groups of people distrust physicians (e.g. Tuskegee) and/or differences in how physicians treat groups of people (e.g. Caucasian patients are more likely to be prescribed opioids vs. African American patients).

Health disparities probably focuses more on actual diseases – like how African American women are more likely to give birth to premature babies (although this is thought to have a large stress component) and how certain groups of people are more likely/genetically predisposed to have certain diseases. However, everything is pretty intertwined so I'm sure that healthcare disparities can cause health disparities (especially when you think about global access to healthcare).

Positive. They're still doing it for the current cycle, but next cycle it will be gone. They announced yesterday and sent out emails. http://www.aacom.org/become-a-doctor/applying/notice-of-repeat-coursework-policy-change .
Pretty huge policy change to announce 5 months before the next application cycle, definitely messes up my timeline.

That really stinks :/ I really feel for the applicants who have spent time and money to raise their GPA via grade replacement, only to have this policy change without notice and the chance to apply under the current policy.

I doubt you're the only one – it's probably a reporting bias (e.g. people who tend to report MCAT scores online are likely happy with their outcome and are therefore more likely to have had a jump in practice vs. real score). I noticed more people, especially those who took the MCAT in August/September reporting that they had scored less than predicted from other companies' exams or even the AAMC FL.

A “health disparity” refers to a higher burden of illness, injury, disability, or mortality experienced by one population group relative to another.
ex: AA have a higher incidence of prostate cancer compared to caucasians.
A “health care disparity” typically refers to differences between groups in health insurance coverage, access to and use of care, and quality of care.
ex. AA have a harder time finding an urologist in their community, thus having a more difficult access to healthcare compared to caucasians which have a lot of urologist in their communities.
The examples are completely made up.

Yeah I didn't do well on that passage. . . I had not heard about shadowing until that point.

Did anyone take aamc scored 1 and tank the verbal portion? I took the scored fl today and got a 125 and am freaking out since I got 89% cars on the sample and a 26/30 on the cars official guide questions. My exam is on the 19th and I don't know if I should ignore it or continue worrying

Whew. So just took my first full length (AAMC 1) and got 499. Ran out of time on CP and CARS (didn't get to answer 5 questions, guessed on another 5-7). Timing has always been an issue for me during tests, I spend way too much time rereading and figuring out questions. CARS was my worst section, I spent way too much time on the questions. Still haven't finished physics, ochem and PS content review. Oddly enough PS was my best section without finishing concept review, mostly because it seemed like a lot of terminology and process of elimination and common sense. Feeling pretty discouraged by my score but hopeful that I can get that up with improvement in timing and finishing some content. Test date is 1/28. I don't know if I should consider rescheduling or not, especially since I live in CA and there aren't any spots open anywhere for 3/31 (but there are in vegas). I plan on doing another FL before the last day to reschedule (13th) before deciding. How are NS in comparison to AAMC? I have Kaplan and the one NS tests and want to use whatever will be most realistic score-wise.

Did anyone take aamc scored 1 and tank the verbal portion? I took the scored fl today and got a 125 and am freaking out since I got 89% cars on the sample and a 26/30 on the cars official guide questions. My exam is on the 19th and I don't know if I should ignore it or continue worrying
I just took it today and got the same score. It seemed pretty hard to me, and I ran out of time on the last passage completely. I wouldn't freak out about it too much just do more practice, especially since your sample and guide scores were better. I've been using NS strategy and practice book for CARS (used on amazon) and they're pretty good passages compared what I've seen on the AAMC material thus far.

Hi guys! So I've kind of been in a mental war zone these past few days and I really need some advice. I'm wondering whether I should cancel my test date (1/28). Last year, I planned everything out so that I would have all of winter break and January to study for this (I'm studying abroad this semester, but I don't leave the country until early Feb). I also took a lighter load in the fall, but that turned out to be a wreck because I wasn't able to focus on studying for this and constantly kept going back and forth on study schedules and procrastinating more and more. That being said, I seriously started studying after classes ended. I am MAYBE half way through content review. I've done 2 diagnostics and have been doing CARS practice every day along with a bit of science practice passages here and there. The only sections that I feel like I would be able to do well in are CARS and psych/soc. I got a 497 on the NS diagnostic I took last week. With only 3 weeks left, I don't think there's any way I can bring myself up to a 510+. I know that with ample time I could get myself there but I just screwed up big time. Ideally, I would have liked to apply this summer, but I have always wanted to take a gap year anyways. For a lot of other reasons, I would not be able to take the mcat until sometime next year. Do you think I should cancel?

Hi guys! So I've kind of been in a mental war zone these past few days and I really need some advice. I'm wondering whether I should cancel my test date (1/28). Last year, I planned everything out so that I would have all of winter break and January to study for this (I'm studying abroad this semester, but I don't leave the country until early Feb). I also took a lighter load in the fall, but that turned out to be a wreck because I wasn't able to focus on studying for this and constantly kept going back and forth on study schedules and procrastinating more and more. That being said, I seriously started studying after classes ended. I am MAYBE half way through content review. I've done 2 diagnostics and have been doing CARS practice every day along with a bit of science practice passages here and there. The only sections that I feel like I would be able to do well in are CARS and psych/soc. I got a 497 on the NS diagnostic I took last week. With only 3 weeks left, I don't think there's any way I can bring myself up to a 510+. I know that with ample time I could get myself there but I just screwed up big time. Ideally, I would have liked to apply this summer, but I have always wanted to take a gap year anyways. For a lot of other reasons, I would not be able to take the mcat until sometime next year. Do you think I should cancel?
I really think it is up to you and how good you are at cramming. Speaking from experience (I took the exam last june) I wish I had been confident with the test before I took it. If you are not confident with the structure and length then I might reconsider but that is just my opinion. I went from getting a 505 in june on the actual exam to getting a 512 last week on the AAMC Scored 1 as well as 82% total score on the official sample test. Also, if it helps I did land an allopathic interview (which I am waiting for the decision) with the 505, so a 510+ is not the only ticket into medical school but it does help haha. Best of Luck Friend!

I did the AAMC FL yesterday and got 516 : 128/128/131/129. Was pretty surprised at the bio score because i thought i would tank it. Date is 1/28 so i think I'll be good.. just three more weeks of practice tests and CARS practice. CARS can fluctuate so I wouldn't really worry about it too much, mine's been anywhere from 124-129 lol. cheering you guys on!!

I did the AAMC FL yesterday and got 516 : 128/128/131/129. Was pretty surprised at the bio score because i thought i would tank it. Date is 1/28 so i think I'll be good.. just three more weeks of practice tests and CARS practice. CARS can fluctuate so I wouldn't really worry about it too much, mine's been anywhere from 124-129 lol. cheering you guys on!!
Dang, great score! I'm also taking 28th, you're in great shape.

I just took EK #2 and the Chem/Phys seemed stupidly hard. I got 74% total (58% chem/phys(lol), 79% CARS, 73% Bio, 88% Psych)
I got 512 on AAMC 1 with 128 on all sections, so I think I'm fairly balanced, I think EK can test weird stuff sometimes (Using self-serving bias)
I got 71% on EK #1 so a little improvement

Hey guys! I was supposed to take it 1/28, but due to some unexpected circumstances (mom became very ill), I'm trying to postpone for the 4/28 date.
Any ideas if these seats will open anytime soon? :(

Those of you that have taken a lot of practice tests: what formulas/equations have you seen on the tests most frequently that you highly recommend knowing?

I just took it today and got the same score. It seemed pretty hard to me, and I ran out of time on the last passage completely. I wouldn't freak out about it too much just do more practice, especially since your sample and guide scores were better. I've been using NS strategy and practice book for CARS (used on amazon) and they're pretty good passages compared what I've seen on the AAMC material thus far.

I just took it today and got a 125 as well. 513 overall if CARS is what is going to stop me from getting 515+ I am going to flip out....

Took NS FL1 today. I have taken three FL's so far -- AAMC practice exam1, AAMC sample test and NS FL1 in that order. I feel like my endurance is going down with each exam :(

I feel burned out and want this to be over but on the other hand feel like I need more time to do content review. I had a lot of extra time with AAMC exam 1, but with NS FL1 I barely finished it with no time to spare.

I am really impressed with those of you who have taken so many FLs.

Took NS FL1 today. I have taken three FL's so far -- AAMC practice exam1, AAMC sample test and NS FL1 in that order. I feel like my endurance is going down with each exam :(

I feel burned out and want this to be over but on the other hand feel like I need more time to do content review. I had a lot of extra time with AAMC exam 1, but with NS FL1 I barely finished it with no time to spare.

I am really impressed with those of you who have taken so many FLs.

How did it go for you? I feel the same way, but also burned out hard today so I think I'm going to take a break tomorrow and recalibrate. As much as extra studying is helpful, you don't want to crash before the actual exam.