***Official Midwestern-Arizona Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fogorvostan

Welcome to MWU AZ Class of 2021 thread!

Based on previous years, it looks like this is one of the first schools to start giving out interviews (late June), so let's get this started!

Here is a link to last year's thread.
Here is a link to the weather in Glendale (spoiler alert - it's probably hot!)
Here is a link for information about hotels, car rentals, and flights that MWU put together.

Admissions Requirements:
Letters of recommendation:
  • Submit three letters of recommendation.
    • One must be from either a pre-dental advisory committee or a science professor.
    • The others, preferentially, should be from either someone with a DO/MD, DDS/DMD degree and/or someone who can testify to the integrity and ethical standards of the applicant.
Science courses (semester credit hours/quarter credit hours):
  • Biology with lab (8/12), General chemistry with lab (8/12), Organic chemistry with lab (4/6), Anatomy (3/4), Microbiology (3/4), Physics (8/12), Physiology (3/4), Biochemistry (3/4), English comp/technical writing (6/9)
  • No grade lower than C will be accepted for any prerequisite course.
  • A grade of C– will not be accepted.

Some fast facts:
Class Size: 140
Average GPA for c/o 2017: 3.57
Board Statistics for Class of 2014:
ADEX /WREB Clinical Board Exams - 97%
NDBE Part II Pass Rate 98%
NDBE Part I Pass Rate 98%

Feel free to ask any questions and best of luck! Look forward to meeting some of you fall 2017 :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Good luck everyone!

Hopefully someone who got an interview sees this but I was wondering if you guys were contacted by a rep and were given a supplemental to fill out / a fee to pay before getting your interviews? Or is there a link to fill one out that I just haven't found..
I just got verified yesterday so I probably have at least until Monday to even think about receiving that email, huh...

Good luck everyone!

Hopefully someone who got an interview sees this but I was wondering if you guys were contacted by a rep and were given a supplemental to fill out / a fee to pay before getting your interviews? Or is there a link to fill one out that I just haven't found..
I just got verified yesterday so I probably have at least until Monday to even think about receiving that email, huh...
The way it worked last year was that you were offered a supplemental application that you filled out through the MWUnet portal. Once submitted (and paid), you could be offered an interview.

However, I NEVER received an "interview offer" email. I randomly checked my MWUnet portal one day and saw that I could schedule one. I called just to double check that I was actually supposed to have that page, and sure enough, I was. Flipped through the c/0 2020 thread, I saw that other people did get the email... so maybe it just didn't go through for me?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck everyone!

You have to wait to be contacted by them. They will then give you the info to fill out their supplemental and then once you submit that they will offer you an interview if they are interested in you. That's how it worked for me a few days ago. I have an interview set for Sep 6th. Let me know if you are gonna join me.

I will be interviewing on the 12th! Super excited..

If anyone decides to interview same day let me know and we can split a hotel room...

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything from MWU-AZ yet, but I just received an email from MWU-IL with instructions of how to set up an account, fill out the supp and pay the app fee. I'm assuming it would be similar for MWU-AZ? Also, I am under the impression that these are 2 separate programs since they have different admission systems rather than just 2 campuses. I am from the Midwest so I would prefer to go to MWU-IL anyways. Just curious, who else is applying to both?

I haven't heard anything from MWU-AZ yet, but I just received an email from MWU-IL with instructions of how to set up an account, fill out the supp and pay the app fee. I'm assuming it would be similar for MWU-AZ? Also, I am under the impression that these are 2 separate programs since they have different admission systems rather than just 2 campuses. I am from the Midwest so I would prefer to go to MWU-IL anyways. Just curious, who else is applying to both?
I got very similar emails from both schools. The two supplementals are identical. You use the same account for both of them.

Good luck everyone- this is a fantastic program!!!

They are already giving out interview invites??? I haven't even received the supplemental yet.

I got very similar emails from both schools. The two supplementals are identical. You use the same account for both of them.
Thank you, and I can confirm to this too for those of you who still wonder. About 1 hour ago I also received the email from MWU-AZ. Pretty convenient since you only need 1 account for both.

Quick question on the supplemental.. For the part where you can list out extracurriculars, is that like hobbies/sports and stuff?

Quick question on the supplemental.. For the part where you can list out extracurriculars, is that like hobbies/sports and stuff?
I don't think you want to put hobbies there, maybe sports. Just whatever volunteer, leadership, or other activities you were involved in besides school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does getting an interview waitlist at this point count me out of getting in...i.e, very few who get waitlisted for an interview get in?

Does getting an interview waitlist at this point count me out of getting in...i.e, very few who get waitlisted for an interview get in?

don't want to be the bearer of bad new, but the chances of getting off the waiting list just to be interview are slim to none. i got the same email last year, and was eventually rejected without an interview. they will go through the waiting list of those who were interviewed before they even look at the waiting list to be interview. sorry dude, don't want to keep your hope up.

Last edited:
For the supplemental question Please list (no explanation, just a list) the undergraduate schools you have attended am I supposed to include a community college that I only took summer classes at one summer? I don't know if that will be considered "attending" it since I just took 2 classes there.

For the supplemental question Please list (no explanation, just a list) the undergraduate schools you have attended am I supposed to include a community college that I only took summer classes at one summer? I don't know if that will be considered "attending" it since I just took 2 classes there.
Yes. If you took classes, you attended it.

Stats:
3.42 sGPA, 3.46 non-science, 3.43 overall (strong upward trend from 2.7-4.0), gradGPA 4.0 (plus publications)
DAT: 22 AA 26 RC 21 PAT 20 TS
Canadian applicant

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How were you guys notified for interview/waitlist for interview?

How were you guys notified for interview/waitlist for interview?
They will send an email about a secondary application and you will need to create an online account. There is a section on interview scheduling on there and those selected to interview would be able to schedule online. I don't think they email you about an interview but I'm not sure.

don't want to be the bearer of bad new, but the chances of getting off the waiting list just to be interview are slim to none. i got the same email last year, and was eventually rejected without an interview. they will go through the waiting list of those who were interviewed before they even look at the waiting list to be interview. sorry dude, don't want to keep your hope up.

This is not necessarily true! I got the same email when I applied (waitlist for an interview) and now I am a D3 here. So don't give up just yet! Just wanted to give some positive thoughts to those who received this email because I remember when I received it, I was very disappointed. So keep your heads up!

Reactions: 2 users
This is not necessarily true! I got the same email when I applied (waitlist for an interview) and now I am a D3 here. So don't give up just yet! Just wanted to give some positive thoughts to those who received this email because I remember when I received it, I was very disappointed. So keep your heads up!

Technically it still possible, but like I say it slim to none from what I'm told by the admission advisor. Unless everybody from the waiting list turn down their acceptance, they wont bother interviewing those from the waiting list for an interview.

Anyone going 9/12 for an interview that wants to split a hotel room for 9/11?

PM me...

Anyone else have an interview on 9/13 and want to split a hotel room?

Anyone else interviewing on Sept 6th? AZBorn let's do this!

Anyone else interviewing on Sept 6th? AZBorn let's do this!
Yeah man! I'm way stoked. Should be an awesome experience. I guess I'll see you there :highfive:

Rejection email: 7/2/2016
Application complete: 6/30/2016
oGPA: 3.37, sGPA: 3.23, BCP: 3.14
DAT: 22AA, 24 TS, 18 PAT

Is there anything about your application you thought was compromising?
Yes. Last year, I applied to med schools before deciding to switch to dentistry. I shadowed 114 hours over Jan-June before applying & explained why I decided to change career paths in my personal statement, but I would assume that previously applying to med schools was a factor. Aside from that the 3.14 BCP GPA isn't doing me any favors!

Yes. Last year, I applied to med schools before deciding to switch to dentistry. I shadowed 114 hours over Jan-June before applying & explained why I decided to change career paths in my personal statement, but I would assume that previously applying to med schools was a factor. Aside from that the 3.14 BCP GPA isn't doing me any favors!
I'm sure you'll get into other great schools though :)

arizona folks, how is the traffic around the MWU arz campus in the morning around 8 am ? I will be staying within 5 miles of the campus....
It's pretty light by then, just along the 101 East bound at 75th ave through 59th ave gets a bit crowded. Heading West bound to 59th on the 101 is quick. But once you're on 59th ave southbound, it will lighten up a bit. The key is don't go slow in the parking garage in front of a student, they will ride your ass. Speaking from experience.

Similar to my GPA but my DAT is 18AA and 16PAT, they waitlisted me for interview.

I'm sure you'll get into other great schools though :)
I appreciate the support! Good luck to you in this cycle.

Similar to my GPA but my DAT is 18AA and 16PAT, they waitlisted me for interview.
Well your chances for acceptance are infinitely times greater than mine (0%)

Good luck to everyone applying here and congrats to those with interview invites already! MWU-AZ is a great school and this is a competitive process.

I submitted my supp on the same date and still waiting to hear back, hopefully it won't take much longer

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

does midwestern send out interview invites over email or do you have to keep checking your portal with them to see if you can schedule an interview?

does midwestern send out interview invites over email or do you have to keep checking your portal with them to see if you can schedule an interview?
In theory, its through email. For whatever reason, I never got an email last year and found it just by checking my portal.

thanks! im thinking of taking an uber from my hotel ? good idea ?
I used Uber for my interviews last year. Just make sure that you set an arrival time that is early enough in case your uber driver is late. My biggest concern was that I wouldn't be able to find anyone driving at like 7am for uber, but that didn't happen.

Keep a back up # for a taxi service just in case there isn't anyone driving

"Please list (no explanation, just a list) the undergraduate schools you have attended; any dental experience that you have (shadowing etc); any extracurricular activities that you have excelled at, or been involved in; and list any volunteer services including community, military and humanitarian efforts."

Do they want us to list everything after undergraduate schools as well, or only list the schools?? This is the last supplemental question.

"Please list (no explanation, just a list) the undergraduate schools you have attended; any dental experience that you have (shadowing etc); any extracurricular activities that you have excelled at, or been involved in; and list any volunteer services including community, military and humanitarian efforts."

Do they want us to list everything after undergraduate schools as well, or only list the schools?? This is the last supplemental question.
I listed everything they asked for in a format similar to this:

Schools:
University of XXXXX
University of YYYYY

Dental experience:
Shadowing with Dr. Dentist

Extracurriculars:
Member of XXXX
President of YYYY

Volunteer Services:
Volunteer for AAAAA
Volunteer for BBBBB

Does anyone have an interview on Sept 13th and want to split a hotel room?

rejected this morning... pretty discouraging because it is so early in the application cycle. I have a 3.28 ogpa and 3.14 sci gpa. planning on retaking my DAT next week and did not do so well last year when I first took it. Got a 17AA :( I thought most schools would wait for an updated DAT score before sending out rejections! Any advice?

Doed this school give decisions (interview or waitlist) in batches or something? Im just wondering because its taking a while for them to say something.

Doed this school give decisions (interview or waitlist) in batches or something? Im just wondering because its taking a while for them to say something.
I finished my secondary as soon as I got it since they were already giving out interview dates within a few days of others submitting their secondaries. I just heard back via email this morning -- appx 11 days, granted there was a holiday thrown in there.

For anyone who interviewed last cycle and is lurking on this thread (jk you are welcome here ;)): When they say that we will end "no later than 4:30", is this accurate? I'm flying in from the east coast and will definitely be needing to fly back the same day since their interview options are all weekdays.

I finished my secondary as soon as I got it since they were already giving out interview dates within a few days of others submitting their secondaries. I just heard back via email this morning -- appx 11 days, granted there was a holiday thrown in there.

For anyone who interviewed last cycle and is lurking on this thread (jk you are welcome here ;)): When they say that we will end "no later than 4:30", is this accurate? I'm flying in from the east coast and will definitely be needing to fly back the same day since their interview options are all weekdays.
Congrats!!

Status
Not open for further replies.