Official NBDE Part 2 Study Q & A Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post all study questions/answers for the NBDE Part 2 in this thread. Good luck!

As a side note, this is not the place for sales ads. Discussion of remembered questions appearing on the exam is also not permitte

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I took part 2 in July and I passed.I studied with dental decks 2, dental secrets,old exams and Tufts pharmacology review.Good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad :)
pls answer

A dentist is suggesting one of his patients with amalgam restorations to get them replaced with other restorative materials as amalgam is harmful to body, which of the following codes of ethic is the dentist violating
autonomy , justice , beneficiance, veracity

The cells within the epithelium are seperated apart from eachother, causing a spacing or cleft between them rather than being attached together in a health person.

Benefiance as he is doing good to patient by not putting a harmful amalgam as mentioned in the Q....

pls answer

A dentist is suggesting one of his patients with amalgam restorations to get them replaced with other restorative materials as amalgam is harmful to body, which of the following codes of ethic is the dentist violating
autonomy , justice , beneficiance, veracity[/Q

I think the answer is veracity, because he is violating the truth

what is the reason for loss of shiny surface but not the frosty appearnce
after acid-etching of enamel with 37percent phosphoric acid for
30sec
.improper etching ,improper washing of enamel ,fluoridated tooth .

the dentist makes preparations for 2 crowns but receives payment for for 1 crown.this is called. Bundling, un-bundling, upcoding, downcoding

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
Can you please share Q's at your school during board review for NBDE-2 or other Q's relevant for part-2 Prep. Just a good will gesture , you all can do a favor to the folks who is not fortunate enough to be at school ....specially Foreign trained folks.
Thanks much.:thumbup:

Can someone plz help me with the two questions below. Thanks
1- what is interior guidance and condylar guidance? what is the significance of it and when do they come in to play?
2- what is compensating curve? What is the significance and use?

I got a score of 83 in part 1 n part 2 both.Wondering if its good enuf to apply...anyways i cant to any thing about it....Just received my part2 result..83...donno if i shd be happy..or....:confused:

hey tooth germ,

hi!im hopin you cld help me out here..i would like to know how you planned to give nbde 1 and nbde 2?..cld u tell wht wld be appropriate time to give these exams so that i could apply for a college as soon as possible...thnks in advance,,all d best for the future!

I took part 2 in July and I passed.I studied with dental decks 2, dental secrets,old exams and Tufts pharmacology review.Good luck to all.

hey,

congrats!..good to hear tht the hard work finally paid off....i hope u cld help me..can u tell me when wld be appropriate time to give nbde 1 & 2 exams so that i can apply to the college asap?...thnks in advance..:)

I am done and I want to give my Dental Board Buster ...looks brand new just for $143 with free expedited shipping.

I bought at 185 plus shipping of 6.99 and the condition is perfectly new.

If interested reply me on [email protected]

Hi All of you!

I have my part 2 in 2 weeks. It took me 3 months to study everything ONLY ONCE! I have done 5 sets of ASDA papers only. I am Very slow at studying and its taking me forever to revise what i studied. So far I have only been able to do Endo perio and oral surgery and still have ALL the rest left!

I am freaking out now as there is NO way Ill be able to revise everything in just 2 weeks. Please give me some tips on what to revise in the last 2 weeks. I also feel I have major attention deficit and cant focus on a topic for more then 2 hours... Please help! I am VERY worried!!!

Thanks in advance

can someone pls ans this question for me...thanks in advance..
Q) which of the following is the treatment of choice for hypersensitive erosion areas?
a) apply sodium flouride paste
b)glass ionomer restoration
c)apply 8% sol of stannous fluoride

can someone ans this question..

Reline of the complete dentures is contraindicated when:
a) there is excessive over-closure of vertical dimension
b)centric relation and centric occlusion do not coincide
c)there is resorption of the ridge

Pathognomic symptom of chronic apical periodontitis?
a) intermittent pain
b) tenderness to palpation
c) tenderness to percussion
d) none of the above

Last edited:
B and EXCESSIVE ridge resorbtion. If this is choose the best then I would pick B ( centric occlusion CR donot coincide. If you can choose more then one then b and c.

thanks for the quick reply. this really helps.
Just wondering why did you choose c? I was thinking residual ridge resorption is one of the indication for relining complete dentures.
since option does not say EXCESSIVE ridge resorption, only b should be ans. Am I right?

In an MO amalgam restoration, the distal wall in the cavity prep is
a)obtuse
b)acute
c)90

Last edited:
Conjunctival hemorrhage is commonly found in which fracture?
a)zygomatic complex fractures
b)lefort i
c)lefort ii

its a, right?

Last edited:
the last suture in the skull to ossify?
a)spheno-occipetal
b)zygomatic
c)temporal

Most suceptible to proximal caries in primary tooth is
a) distal of 1st molar
b) mesial of 1st molar
c) distal of 2nd molar

Last edited:
Hi everybody,
I got great great notes for part 2 and many other very useful stuff I would love to share, hopefully it will help you guys ace the exam!
please feel free to contact me on: [email protected]

best,
Andy

Patient comes in and states that she has gone through several previous dentists in a
short period of time and she was very unhappy with all of them. After a short while the patient says that you are the best denist she has ever had and that she is going to refer all her friends and family to you. This type of behavior most likely is:
????? Please help with the correct answer.

I gave my part 1 in 2009 july and my score is 84. I applied to many universities i dint got in anywhere. Unfortunately due to some problems i was unable to give my part II, Now i am studying for part II and planning to give by Feb 2013 and apply for next cycle. Do you guys think i have a chance to get in after my Part II. Sincere advice please.

Thank you

X.1. At what age are all primary teeth normally in occlusion?
a. 1.5-2.0 years
b. 2.5-3.0 years
c. 3.5-4 years
d. >4 years

X.2. Larger condensers and laterally applied condensation forces are recommended to ensure complete
condensation of which of the following amalgam types?
a. admixed
b. spherical
c. lathe-cut
d. high-copper
e. conventional

X.3. which of the following is seen MOST frequently among temporomandibular-joint dysfunction patient
a. depression
b. psychosis
c. sociopathy
d. schizotypical behavior
e. passive-aggressive behavior

Last edited:
Hello ppl

can anyone answer these questions plz?

single rooted anterior teeth has endodontic treatment is best treated by:
- casted post and core
- preformed post and composite
- preformed post and amalgam
- composite post and core

one of the anatomical landmarks is:
- ala tragus line
- ala orbital
- frank fort plane
A pub med article along with my notes from Pros at Iowa suggest that the cast post and core provides the best clinical outcomes.

Comparison of the fracture resistances of pulpless teeth restored with a cast post and core or carbon-fiber post with a composite core
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9813801

I think the answer for it is veracity as he is not telling the truth to patient! he voilating veracity as amalgum is not a harmful substance!

a. 1.5-2.0 years
b. 2.5-3.0 years
c. 3.5-4 years
d. >4 years

X.2. Larger condensers and laterally applied condensation forces are recommended to ensure complete
a. admixed
b. spherical
c. lathe-cut
d. high-copper
e. conventional

X.3. which of the following is seen MOST frequently among temporomandibular-joint dysfunction patient
a. depression
b. psychosis
c. sociopathy
d. schizotypical behavior
e. passive-aggressive behavior
b. 2.5-3.0 years
"ƒ By age 3 years, there are usually 20 primary teeth" according to the american academy of pediatrics
http://www2.aap.org/oralhealth/docs/oralhealthfcpagesf2_2_1.pdf

b. spherical
According to the Operative dentistry manual at the University of Iowa College of Dentistry

a. depression

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tutorials/temporomandibularjointdisorders/ol209104.pdf

Patient comes in and states that she has gone through several previous dentists in a
short period of time and she was very unhappy with all of them. After a short while the patient says that you are the best denist she has ever had and that she is going to refer all her friends and family to you. This type of behavior most likely is:
????? Please help with the correct answer.

Ans: Paranoid??

What is associated with color index of 100?

Hue, value, chroma?

It represents Highest Value that is VALUE is answer

recurrent lesions on ono-keratinized tissue in 20 year old female are most likely
a. herpes labialis
b. herpetic gingivostomatitis??
c. aphthous??
d. shingles

answer given says B but I dont understand ono-keratinized was it suppose to be non-keratinized

another person said it was C. But im not sure. I think its C too. Anyone know for sure?

recurrent lesions on ono-keratinized tissue in 20 year old female are most likely
a. herpes labialis......around lips
b. herpetic gingivostomatitis?? seen in children mainly
c. aphthous??seen on non keratenized tissues
d. shinglesinvolves dermatomes

answer given says B but I dont understand ono-keratinized was it suppose to be non-keratinized

another person said it was C. But im not sure. I think its C too. Anyone know for sure?

I guess its aphthous ...

Last edited:
perio exam

1. Attached gingiva :
A. Declines with age - in upper PM area because of narrow vestibulum
B. Increases with age - lower incisors lingual side because it is the highest area
C. Declines with age - in the lower PM area , in the vestibule where it is narrowest.
D. Increases with age - molar region is the most high-lingual side

2 Collagen fibers comprise what percentage connective tissue?
A. 60
B. 70
C. 45
D. 50

3. Adding ultrasonic water:
A. Cooling device
B. Constant rinsing
C. lowers the intensity of the device does not cause tooth surface roughness
D. All true

4. What is true with regard to established lesion?
A. Increase in plasma cells, and the beginning of epithelial proliferation of JE, and creation of rete ridges.
B. Increase in plasma cells, and the Continuation of epithelial proliferation of JE, and creation of rete ridges
C. decrease in plasma cells to get to advanced lesion .

5. What is true for Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans, and Tannerella forsythia?
A. AA is uniquely anaerobic obligatory and therefore not sensitive to metronidazole.
B. For TF (tannerella), there is a Bspa that is stuck to the pellicle.
Bspa is Leucine-Rich Repeat BspA Protein

(A is false because AA is facultative anerobic; TF I do not know about BspA protein. It is not mentioned online).

6. Which bone resorption is the hardest to identify on X-ray?
A. Circumferential
B. 3 wall pocket
C. Periapical periodontitis

(my answer B)

7. What is true of junctional epthelim ?
A. Larger cells than oral epithelum
B. Coronal portion has 10-15 cells
C. Connected to tooth by Hemidesmosomes
D. All true

CARANZZA SAYS P23
The junctional epithelium
consists of a collarlike band of stratified squamous
nonkeratinizing epithelium. It is three to four layers thick
in early life, but the number of layers increases with age
to 10 or even 20 layers. These cells can be grouped in two
strata: basal and suprabasal. The length of the junctional
epithelium ranges from 0.25 to 1.35 mm.
The junctional epithelium is formed

8. What appears the histology of healthy gums?
A. Filtrate of neutrophils in epithelium and lymphocytes in connective tissue
B. Filtrate of neutrophils in epithelium and Macrophages in connective tissue
C. Lymphocytes in epithelium
D. Neutrophils around capillaries in connective tissue.

perio exam

1. Attached gingiva :
A. Declines with age - in upper PM area because of narrow vestibulum
B. Increases with age - lower incisors lingual side because it is the highest area
C. Declines with age - in the lower PM area , in the vestibule where it is narrowest.
D. Increases with age - molar region is the most high-lingual side

First..Attached gingiva declines with age factors include eating and upward movement of tooth.
second-->upper PM anatomy is strong than lower PMs..
Let me know if i am correct?

2 Collagen fibers comprise what percentage connective tissue?
A. 60
B. 70
C. 45
D. 50

i think its 60..
first--collagen fibers are mostly proteins.
secondly --70 is too much protein..

3. Adding ultrasonic water:
A. Cooling device--this is the second function
B. Constant rinsing---this is what it does mostly so its primary function of adding water
C. lowers the intensity of the device does not cause tooth surface roughness--there is no connection in roughness and water
D. All true

4. What is true with regard to established lesion?
A. Increase in plasma cells, and the beginning of epithelial proliferation of JE, and creation of rete ridges.
B. Increase in plasma cells, and the Continuation of epithelial proliferation of JE, and creation of rete ridges
C. decrease in plasma cells to get to advanced lesion .
PC suppose to increase to fight the infection and inflammation
secondly--lesion is just established..so beginning of epi proliferation and
creation of new cells

5. What is true for Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans, and Tannerella forsythia?
A. AA is uniquely anaerobic obligatory and therefore not sensitive to metronidazole.
B. For TF (tannerella), there is a Bspa that is stuck to the pellicle.
Bspa is Leucine-Rich Repeat BspA Protein
??

(A is false because AA is facultative anerobic; TF I do not know about BspA protein. It is not mentioned online).

6. Which bone resorption is the hardest to identify on X-ray?
A. Circumferential
B. 3 wall pocket
C. Periapical periodontitis

(my answer B)

7. What is true of junctional epthelim ?
A. Larger cells than oral epithelum
B. Coronal portion has 10-15 cellsits in histo section
C. Connected to tooth by Hemidesmosomes
D. All true

CARANZZA SAYS P23
The junctional epithelium
consists of a collarlike band of stratified squamous
nonkeratinizing epithelium. It is three to four layers thick
in early life, but the number of layers increases with age
to 10 or even 20 layers. These cells can be grouped in two
strata: basal and suprabasal. The length of the junctional
epithelium ranges from 0.25 to 1.35 mm.
The junctional epithelium is formed

8. What appears the histology of healthy gums?
A. Filtrate of neutrophils in epithelium and lymphocytes in connective tissue
B. Filtrate of neutrophils in epithelium and Macrophages in connective tissue
C. Lymphocytes in epithelium
D. Neutrophils around capillaries in connective tissue.
--