*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When streaming videos in windows media player I sometimes click the speed toggle (1x 1.4x 2x 5x) and it streams faster which is great. Sometimes it just goes into fast forward mode and I can't see/hear the stream. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong when it goes into fast forward mode? I have WM 10 in full mode.

that happens when its at 5x speed. IF thats what youa re talking about. i have found that 1.4x is usually the best, but sometimes, 2x is okay, but you have to train your brain to accept info that fast, sometimes i have to paus and think about ****.

btw, how difficult is it to use the f*cking electronic pen!!! they should even have a laser pointer available!

So do you guys think the pinning on the anatomy was decent this time? i think it was, except like 4 pins that were probably placed by the janitor or s/t. ALso anyone thought sveilich's questions were reasonable? think he's a good lecturer?

Members don't see this ad.

Just realized its a bad time to have a pic of kramer, what a ******. But then i havent seen heard about him in years so maybe it the publicity was good for him.

^So true, did you see the full video of Kramer? The dude is out of his freaken mind. The Letterman interview was crazy too.

I thought Sveilich's questions were fair except for that one about the arthroscopic tack, staple and suture...All of the above sounded good to me!
I like his lectures, gotta love how he explained the "Boxer's fracture" :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't see a laser pointer in streams so that is why they are trying to switch to the electronic pen.

In anatomy I was yellow and the pins were all good. some of those bodies look like beef jerky I can't beleive we are going to use them for another practical in january after going over neck and face.

I have a laptop. when I left click on the speed setting it goes into fast forward mode. if I just tap on the touch pad of my laptop it will go into 1.4x 2x and play sound/video. Not sure what is up with that.

No more family movies for Kramer. lol! I don't think I've watched anything he did since Seinfeld ended.

that happens when its at 5x speed. IF thats what youa re talking about. i have found that 1.4x is usually the best, but sometimes, 2x is okay, but you have to train your brain to accept info that fast, sometimes i have to paus and think about ****.

btw, how difficult is it to use the f*cking electronic pen!!! they should even have a laser pointer available!

So do you guys think the pinning on the anatomy was decent this time? i think it was, except like 4 pins that were probably placed by the janitor or s/t. ALso anyone thought sveilich's questions were reasonable? think he's a good lecturer?

So I'm sitting in OMM practical with my shirt off. What a sad sight that was. I don't want to be a pudgy doctor. Anyone workout at the Bally's near NYCOM? I'm going to get a car so I can be more productive.

i really disagree about sveilich, i cant believe you liked his lectures. dont get me wrong he's a knowledgeable doc and gives an interesting lecture IF we would be ortho residents,at our level he's too much. how can you say his q's were good, 2 of them were dismissed.

Regading the GYM, when the hell are we getting one in school? She said around thanksgiving no? I just got a renewal in bally's but want to hold off and see if i can get in on the freebie gym in school.

i really disagree about sveilich, i cant believe you liked his lectures. dont get me wrong he's a knowledgeable doc and gives an interesting lecture IF we would be ortho residents,at our level he's too much. how can you say his q's were good, 2 of them were dismissed.

Regading the GYM, when the hell are we getting one in school? She said around thanksgiving no? I just got a renewal in bally's but want to hold off and see if i can get in on the freebie gym in school.
Yeah, I agree with ya, Sveilich wasn't that good. Mostly "This slide is good. You should read this slide." *CLICK* Next slide. LOL.

As for the gym, Linda has now pushed it back to January. Only time will tell... :rolleyes:

He works at the shadiest hospital on earth -- Penninsula Hospital. There is a reason the general surgery spot goes unfilled there every year. The guy just looks dirty. Also if noone else in the 2010 class noticed: it is much easier for NYCOM to get someone to lecture a few hours on what they do every day for a living vs getting someone to COMPETANTLY teach us something important like biochem.

He works at the shadiest hospital on earth -- Penninsula Hospital. There is a reason the general surgery spot goes unfilled there every year. The guy just looks dirty. Also if noone else in the 2010 class noticed: it is much easier for NYCOM to get someone to lecture a few hours on what they do every day for a living vs getting someone to COMPETANTLY teach us something important like biochem.
I've heard scary stuff about peninsula. Everyone has told me to avoid at all costs, including a plastic surgeon, who did his GS residency there.

I am not sure whether that is true. I would imagine that the shadiest hospital on earth is where Mr. Bean is doing his "residency."

Ah yes the dumpster out behind Bellview.

1_1024.ts1122696620656.jpg

"Dr. Bean, please report to the medication window, err, I mean ICU. Dr. Bean, report to ICU."

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you talking about. You think it's harder to find a biochem teacher, versus someone to teach orthopedics? Try scouring a college campus, or the national post-doc association. Besides, the krebs cycle never saved anyone's life.

God don't you hate it when someone's opinions are all filtered through an "I hate my life and my med school" prism?

http://theunderweardrawer.homestead.com/twelvemedstudents.html

Ah! Suffer me the pleasure, if you will, to indroduce our resident HaRDxCoRe GunnR...

What are you talking about. You think it's harder to find a biochem teacher, versus someone to teach orthopedics? Try scouring a college campus, or the national post-doc association. Besides, the krebs cycle never saved anyone's life.

God don't you hate it when someone's opinions are all filtered through an "I hate my life and my med school" prism?

and...

...perpetually enraged one.

A round of applause, please.
Applause.gif

Has anyone taken a shower in the school locker rooms? It's horrible - they did away with normal faucets and instead replaced them with infrared sensors that you normally see at sinks. Ok, so the sinks in the locker room have the old fashioned push knobs for water, but the showers have infrared sensors? WHAT A TERRIBLE WAY TO OVER COMPLICATE A SHOWER! There is no temperature control; however, the temp was acceptable (aka warm). The worst thing is the stupid sensors don't do their job properly. I was in there with shampoo running down my face banging my fist on the sensor praying for the water to turn on again. It seems that it adjusts to you being in there and resets itself so that it turns off. It did this consistently throughout the shower. I was in there waving my hands in front of it and yelling at it all whilst shivering. Who the hell came up with this idea ?!?!?!

I was in the locker room when I kept hearing the shower turning on and off every 10 seconds or so. I thought my buddy was trying to conserve water or something until he explained the infrared shower. I laugh to myself anytime I hear that shower on. lol!

Has anyone taken a shower in the school locker rooms?

Good question HG, not sure myself but would like to know.

Does anyone know the schedule for 3rd year clerkships? on the website I found:
Family Medicine - 6 Weeks
•Medicine - 12 Weeks
•Ob/Gyn - 6 Weeks
•Pediatrics - 6 Weeks
•Psychiatry - 6 Weeks
•Surgery - 12 Weeks

but do we have them in that particular order? I know they start July 5th but I dont know what order/dates we have them in. Also, does anyone know which rotations are on call rotations?

So who else thinks that this bullsh*t about the test is ridiculous.

40K/year and they cant get a competent proofreader to check the test for these mistakes BEFORE the test???

I suggest a very efficeint way to solve this. Each lecturer that makes a mistake on the test will be fined X amount of $$ ($200 sounds good) for each mistake.

Furthermore, given the fact that some PhD's (ahem) have trouble explaining, let alone understanding, the things that they teach, they should be fined for making errors in class. I have spent countless hours checking different books and resources to get things straight and i am sick of it.

Does anyone agree???

This is why I don't go to lecture anymore. I stream from home 100% now. I feel sorry for everyone who sat through some of the lectures I streamed where some of the profs were 2nd guessing themselves.

NYCOM should give us a web board so we dont have to post ish here. LOL!

We need an advocate (recent grad, not a prof or student) to make sure we get tested on board relevant material. 50% of the questions being board relevant is not too much to ask for.I would love to show my exam to a Neurologist and have him say "Damn you guys are learning some nice clinical material at NYCOM".

I'm not mad or frustrated but wish I could brag on what we are tested on. maybe that's just medical school. Good luck folks.

Good question HG, not sure myself but would like to know.

Does anyone know the schedule for 3rd year clerkships? on the website I found:
Family Medicine - 6 Weeks
•Medicine - 12 Weeks
•Ob/Gyn - 6 Weeks
•Pediatrics - 6 Weeks
•Psychiatry - 6 Weeks
•Surgery - 12 Weeks

but do we have them in that particular order? I know they start July 5th but I dont know what order/dates we have them in. Also, does anyone know which rotations are on call rotations?

There is a clerkship match where you enter the order of rotations and list preferences of hospitals. If you pick hospitals where nobody wants to do clerkships you get your perfect list. Otherwise the system is set up to see:
1)who wants this clerkship at a given time
2)is there room for everyone

if there is not enough room:
3)how many times has each person gotten their #1 choice
4)folks with the least amount of #1 spots get first dibs

post match you can trade. not sure if how well that works out. especially with no web board.

It seems that you can pick your own order if you list enough hospitals. I'm not 100% sure on that.

i originally replied but deleted my post in hopes someone who completed the process might reply. good luck.

call varies by hospital and rotation.

medicine, surgery, and Ob/gyn are known for call. Some hospitals may have night float though.
family med, peds, and psych should have fewer to no call.

NYCOM received our financial aid money today. They have 14 days to send us money. hopefully they are fast like our 1st disbursement.

don't spend all your money in one place! :cool:

the new Geico commercial with the psychiatrist sux.

I was having problems with speeding up the streams in some lectures. The problem was I had my player set at the default "allow windows media player to detect your connection speed". I stream from my laptop wireless connection to my wireless router. Anything under 1MBs does not allow stream speeding and I figure my laptop connection fluctuates around 1MBs:

from a website I found:

http://video.technion.ac.il/Setup/help-faq.html#Q3

In order to change playback speed you will need :

Windows media Player 9 (or higher) running on Windows-XP !
A connection faster then 1Mb/s !
Start playing a video in Windows media Player 9 (XP)
then SELECT : View > Enhancements > Play Speed Settings
In the Enhancements pane , move the Play Speed slider to the speed at which you want to play the content,
or click the Slow, Normal, or Fast link.
Important : The Valid speed range is marked with a GREEN Line

If you Don't see any green line it means you can NOT use this Feature
In case you don't see the Green Line, You can try to change the player settings as follows :
SELECT : Tools > Options > Performance > Choose connection speed: > LAN (10 Mbs or more)
Press OK
CLOSE the player , START it Again & Check .

Anyone else having problems with the noodle site not loading?

Status
Not open for further replies.