***Official NYU C/O 2013 Acceptance Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wohoo!! finally...in :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question,,
so once we got accepted,
does anyone know what other things we have to send them other than the deposit??
Do we have to send another transcript directly to the school indicating our degree?? (even though I have sent one already to aadsas?)
thanx in advance! :)

I finally got my letter in the mail yesterday! Apparently they sent out a bunch last Friday so keep your eyes open!

I have a question,,
so once we got accepted,
does anyone know what other things we have to send them other than the deposit??
Do we have to send another transcript directly to the school indicating our degree?? (even though I have sent one already to aadsas?)
thanx in advance! :)

It is just a deposit, but if you have received your degree and you don't plan to take any classes in spring you can send your official transcripts to them. For transcripts, the deadline is August so you still have plenty time!

Does anybody plan to bring car to NYC? Does anybody know if it is possible to have cars while attending NYU? I know it is hard to find parking there, but I was hoping NYU folks can give me some feedback, thanks!

Driving in manhattan will take you longer than if you had just hopped on the train. Parking on manhattan will take longer than the trip itself. Verdict: Baddddd idea

So I am pretty sure my acceptance got lost in the mail somewhere between New York and Idaho so I called today and they e-mailed me my acceptance letter! If only it wasn't so expensive....

I am planning to take trains and commute, which will probably take about an hour or a little more......

Is it gonna be tough if I commute during the 1st two years???

0_0

I am planning to take trains and commute, which will probably take about an hour or a little more......

Is it gonna be tough if I commute during the 1st two years???

0_0

I could tell you that it's not going to be easier. Maybe you could study in the train to and from. Where are you planning on residing?

I could tell you that it's not going to be easier. Maybe you could study in the train to and from. Where are you planning on residing?

my uncle is moving out of his house in nutley (where martha stewart grew up) and he asked if i wanted to rent it... thing is that it is a 5 minute drive to the bus stop, then a 20 minute bus to the city, then 30+ minute walk to the school. a cheap, nice place to live that is far away or $$$$$ for convinience... dilemma

Lectures are recorded and put on itunes. It could help you use that time wisely while you are commuting

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew from NYU on December 2nd post-interview to open up spots for others that want to go there. Sent formal letter of withdrawal via email as requested.

Accepted to NYU on December 11th...HUH!!??

Withdrew from NYU on December 2nd post-interview to open up spots for others that want to go there. Sent formal letter of withdrawal via email as requested.

Accepted to NYU on December 11th...HUH!!??

Guess they really want you :laugh:

Congrats and good luck wherever you go. The letter was probably prepared before you drafted the letter and my guess is it takes a while for them to get to emails.

Does anybody plan to bring car to NYC? Does anybody know if it is possible to have cars while attending NYU? I know it is hard to find parking there, but I was hoping NYU folks can give me some feedback, thanks!

You can drive into the city once in awhile but I haven't seen any one of the students drive in on a regular basis. Parking is way to expensive even with the student discount......public transportation is pretty convenient so you should look into that.....Good luck on your acceptance!!! It's a great school!

You can drive into the city once in awhile but I haven't seen any one of the students drive in on a regular basis. Parking is way to expensive even with the student discount......public transportation is pretty convenient so you should look into that.....Good luck on your acceptance!!! It's a great school!

I heard the parking price for annual permit is $1200. I am sure NY residents have better info.

Those who plan on going to NYU, wher do you plan to live? I've on craigslist for the past week looking at apartments in Manhatan and around there. I can't stop:eek:. Anyone who is married going with their spouse, like me. IF any of you live in NY, is it worth paying a lot more for a smaller place to live in Manhatan as opposed to Brooklyn or Long Island City?
Any inside info would be greatly appreciated. And see you all in NY:xf:.

By the way I am from CA, anyone else ?

why are all the canadians going to NYU?

i just dont understand..

Do you have to call them or anything to accept the offer? I received the acceptance letter last week but I haven't called them or anything. Just wondering...thanks!

Do you have to call them or anything to accept the offer? I received the acceptance letter last week but I haven't called them or anything. Just wondering...thanks!

I believe that you just need to send them your deposit.

What are you guys thinking with regards to the Research the summer before we start? And also, I can't seem to figure out how to apply to it ...has anyone tried? Thanx..

Am I stupid for considering a place that will take 1 hour to commute to the school? (20 min bus and 40 minute walk)

and does that research program pay or is it just for experience?

Wow...a 40 min walk seems kinda long doesn't it?
Especially on cold days...or exam days!!
and what about having to walk at night for that long?

About the research, it says we may compete for a dean's award to provide for part of the living expenses for the summer...but I'm guessing it's not a guarantee? God knows...

Does anyone know if NYU normally gives scholarships?

The director mentioned they give out some I believe later in the year after you have deposited. I am interested in a merit based one. Would definitely make it easier to choose.

Scholarships and housing information are given after we submit the first deposit.

Hello! I'm a student in the class of 2012. Let me know if you have any questions. For now, let me try to answer the ones I remember off the top of my head:

RE: Cars
This is pretty much an absolute NO in Manhattan. The college of dentistry doesn't have any parking so you'll be stuck paying for a garage. These are usually $300 to 600 a month... Unless you're from NY, that's probably what you paid for rent through undergrad! haha

RE: Where to live
This one is really a toss up between saving money and living close to campus. If you're willing to share an apartment, you can get really good deals. I'm paying just under 1300 a month for my own room in a luxury apartment (hardwood floors, marble bathrooms, granite counters, doorman, etc.) that's 5 minutes from school. Most people who share an apartment are close to 1500 a month. Those with studios are paying 1700 to 2300 depending on how close it is to school and the quality of the place. I personally went for proximity, but many people live in Brooklyn and Queens to save money. On the other hand, one of my friends who lived an hour away moved a month later to be close to school. I've found that people who live further from school are less likely to take part in class activities and go out with their friends after school. That said, most the people with families are living in Brooklyn. If you're looking for places close to school, there are a lot of smaller places, but the big 3 where students live are Waterside Plaza, Kips Bay and Stuyvesant Town.

RE: Why NYU?
I really like this school but I don't want to be responsible for selling you a school that you may not like. I'll tell you what I do like about the school but I won't tell you why you should choose it over any others. First and foremost, I like the professors here. One of them actually told me that they have an "Us against the boards" mentality. The school is one of the few that gives each student a chance to do veneers and implants--they will teach you the new procedures. The patient pool is amazing and you get to see the zebras! Yeah... I'll explain that one... There's a saying they teach you in the health profession: When you hear hoof-beats, think horses not zebras (depending on where you are). Well, NY is one of those places where you may have to think zebras.

RE: Tuition
Yeah, it's not cheap... but NYU itself isn't much more than many other schools. It's living in NYC that really adds to the cost. For those who say they want to live in NY but the cost of school is too much, you may need to reevaluate that statement... ;) While I admit that I do think about the cost, I don't feel you should let it completely deter you from going to NYU. A man once told me that you should never consider the cost of a good education a burden. An interesting stat... The percentage of NYU students who default on their loans: 0%

RE: Class make-up
We're literally 30% New Yorkers, 30% Californians, 30% Canadians, 10% other... haha

RE: Walking to school
Not fun at all... especially if you're a Californian stuck in a NY winter... I can't even begin to explain it... all I can say is "You'll see..." My 5 minute walk to and from school in the cold is the most miserable part of my day... Walking 30 minutes to school sounds HORRIBLE... haha

RE: Research
It pays. It's a great opportunity to get involved in research but it won't be your only opportunity. It's perfectly fine to choose to enjoy your summer and do research later.

RE: Facebook
This wasn't really a question, but I definitely think you should join that group. That's where I met my roommates and they're awesome.

Let me know if you have any other questions, particularly about the school itself since I haven't really said much about it. I'll try to check in more often.

Last edited:
RE: Research
It pays. It's a great opportunity to get involved in research but it won't be your only opportunity. It's perfectly fine to choose to enjoy your summer and do research later.

What do you think of the pre D1 summer research program and what is the likelihood of receiving a stipend?

I think the summer research program is a great way to get into the research if you're interested in doing so. If you would rather not give up your summer, you can get into research after you start school in August. Many of the people I know who did the summer research did not stay on after school started and of the people I know who do research, half of them joined on their own after school started. As for I stipend, I'm under the impression that every person who did summer research earned money.

Congrat on those got accepted to class 2013,

I did the summer research program as an incoming D1. You should consider participating in the research program if you have nothing else planned for the summer. Why? You will have time to establish relationships with faculty members and upperclassman who will help you excel in dental school once school starts in fall. You will also find good deals on housing near the school since many students are moving out in the summer. The program is actually pretty chill. It felt more like a part-time job for me. I spent most of my time exploring the city. You get paid $500 per week, and the rent for dorm is actually reduced to around $800 per month.

Not every incoming D1 did the research program continue on doing research, but they are all very happy to have the extra time and money to settle down (or have a blast in NYC :)) before school starts in fall.

If you have any specific questions regarding the school and housing in NYC, feel free to pm me. I am glad to help.

Sephisabinm, I have a question for you. I was wondering when the financial aid plays for living expenses and how much. I would feel a little more confortable moving from Florida to New york with the extra money in the bank.

Also how has your first sememster been compared to your undergrad as far as your workload goes?

I'm really looking forward to NYU, some recent developements have put this school at the top of my list.

Sephisabinm, I have a question for you. I was wondering when the financial aid plays for living expenses and how much. I would feel a little more confortable moving from Florida to New york with the extra money in the bank.

Also how has your first sememster been compared to your undergrad as far as your workload goes?

I'm really looking forward to NYU, some recent developements have put this school at the top of my list.

Financial aid is given in 2 disbursements. One will be in August (15th or so) and the other will be in January. School is on the order of 63K and your borrowing limit is 93K so you'll have about 30K for living expenses.

First semester actually wasn't too bad. The workload is a little more than undergrad (you're taking somewhere around 23 units, if I recall correctly) but it's definitely manageable. You're in class about 30 hours a week, give or take a few (give being more likely... haha). Unless you intend to skip classes, you can pretty much plan on being at school 8-5, though you'll either get out a couple hours early or have a couple hour break 2 to 3 days a week because you're broken up into different sections for the labs. First semester is supposed to be a bit easier because the workload is a bit lower than usual and the classes aren't foreign to many students (cell organelles, biochem, anatomy).

If you haven't taken anatomy and you have a chance to do so, I strongly urge you to do so. The disparity in the amount of time those who took anatomy spent studying compared to those who didn't was absolutely astounding. I can't even recall how many times I heard people say "I wish I had taken anatomy in undergrad." It is one of the best taught courses at our school, but the sheer wealth of information... it would have been nice to have some knowledge prior to starting.

I think the summer research program is a great way to get into the research if you're interested in doing so. If you would rather not give up your summer, you can get into research after you start school in August. Many of the people I know who did the summer research did not stay on after school started and of the people I know who do research, half of them joined on their own after school started. As for I stipend, I'm under the impression that every person who did summer research earned money.

Sephisabin,

Thank you for your feedbacks. Your posts are really helpful. Can I ask you where NYU students usually go for grocery and other stuff like haircut, shopping, and etc. Is there any good and cheap shopping center close to 24th or 26th street? I am asking mostly for first several weeks since we are not familiar with the area and it takes some time for us to know difference places in the city? It is funny I am from California and I still don't know how to even carry my grocery stuff without having any car if I move to the city...Anyway, thank you for providing helpful information, and Merry Christmas!:)

Last edited:
There are a few options for groceries. There is a store called Gristedes that is very convenient. They have one every few blocks. Waterside and Kips Bay have their own gristedes in the complex, but you'll end up paying extra for your food. I've found the essentials (milk, bread, etc) are around the same price as off the complex, but for everything else you'll pay extra (1.5x or so). There is a store near Stuyvesant Town called Associated that people speak highly of, but I haven't been there yet.

Most people like to go to Morton Williams, which is on 23rd and 2nd (school is on 24th and 1st... it's about a 3 minute walk from school). They have decent prices and they deliver everything for $1 (you'll have to tip the delivery guy though). You just go there and buy everything and head home. They'll deliver it within 30 minutes. If you're really lazy, you can actually phone in your order and they'll deliver it to you. That costs $6 on top of your total (5 for phone order plus 1 for delivery). There is also a Trader Joes somewhere near 14th street if I'm not mistaken. They have good prices but they don't deliver.

One option that I haven't tried (but definitely intend to) is a food delivery service called freshdirect.com. You order online and they deliver to you. You just give them a window of time in which to deliver. That's pretty common as well... I see the freshdirect delivery man at my complex every day...

Haircuts: There are salons and barbers everywhere... I can recommend a place I like for men, but I'm not too versed with salons for women. I'll get you some advice on salons from some of my friends if you need it.

Shopping: There are more than enough stores close to school... 34th street and 6th avenue have pretty much any clothing store you can name and a K-Mart. There is a Best Buy, Staples and Bed Bath and Beyond around 20th and 6th.

Sephisabin, Thank you for your help, you've answered a lot of questions. One more thing, how easy is it to get an apartment when you are a student and have no verifiable income?

I'm not going to lie, if you don't have help from a cosigner, it may not be particularly easy. There are some places that actually don't make it too hard. Waterside plaza either wanted a cosigner who makes 50x the monthly rent per year or a 3 month deposit. We opted to give them the deposit. For the record, you're probably going to have to put the deposit down before your student loans come in... I had to put my deposit down in June when I signed the lease but didn't get my loan money until mid-August.

Stuyvesant town also wanted a cosigner who makes 50x the monthly rent but did not give us the option of putting down a deposit instead. They would have allowed us to have as many cosigners as necessary so long as their total income added up to 50x the rent. That said, if you can all convince your parents to cosign, you should be ok as long as your parents and your roommates parents incomes add up to about 200K per year.

I'm not sure about Kips Bay. We checked them out and they had, by far, the nicest apartment complex. Unfortunately, they had no openings so we never got far enough into talks for me to know their policy. I'm not sure how it works with smaller buildings either.

Just a heads up... if you decide to go through a broker, be careful what you sign. My roommates and I tried to go through a broker at first (his fee was 15% the yearly rent or something like that... like 7 to 8 thousand dollars). He told us he wouldn't charge a fee, but tried to get us to sign a paper that said there is a fee by telling us "don't worry about it, that part doesn't apply." I have friends who went through brokers and were happy with their experience, but just be careful... read EVERYTHING before you sign it.

Does all this apartment co-signer and broker fee thing apply to mostly manhatten or do you have to go through this in queens and brooklyn?

It's the same in Queens and Brooklyn as well. The requirements, however, would likely be lower because the rents in those places tend to be lower. Whereas my roommates and I had to put down $12K for a deposit (Our rent is 4000 a month), my friend who has a studio in Brooklyn put down less than $5000 (her rent is somewhere near $1600). I haven't tried it, but you may be able to find smaller buildings that are willing to grant you a pass based on your student status-- since you're guaranteed the loan for the time you're there, you may be able to convince them to lower the requirements. A good credit score would definitely help your case. However, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a place that will let you rent with no deposit and no guaranteed income. Waterside accommodates students by allowing for the deposit (they only offer that option to students). Stuyvesant Town does not make any special accommodations for students... it really just depends on the place. As for the brokers, that's the same everywhere... and so are their fees...

still couldn't find a way to get private loans without a cosigner....
are there any international students out there who can give me some advice??
i don't have anyone who can cosign with me...:confused::(

Hey!!
Got my acceptance CHRISTMAS EVE!!

GREAT CHRISTMAS PRESENT...HOPE TO MEET YOU ALL!!

Sephisabin, How much deposit you guys pay individually? What if one person has a co-signer and another roommate don't? How do you guys manage it? I am also having concerns about deposits and finding co-signer before receiving my student loans. In LA deposits are lower than NYC. I guess it is going to be tough to survive at NYC.

My share was $5120 since I had to give 3 months deposit and first months rent (1280 X 4) when I signed the lease. You can get an apartment with a single cosigner as long as that person meets the income requirements. It's ok if one person has a cosigner and the other roommates do not as long as the cosigner doesn't mind being the only one on the line for the full years rent if something goes wrong... my parents weren't too excited about that idea... haha. Coming up with the money for the deposit is going to require you to tap into some resources--savings or borrowing from someone. My roommates and I all borrowed it from our parents and tried to pay them back a couple months later once the loans came in (I say tried because none of our parents actually let us...).

My share was $5120 since I had to give 3 months deposit and first months rent (1280 X 4) when I signed the lease. You can get an apartment with a single cosigner as long as that person meets the income requirements. It's ok if one person has a cosigner and the other roommates do not as long as the cosigner doesn't mind being the only one on the line for the full years rent if something goes wrong... my parents weren't too excited about that idea... haha. Coming up with the money for the deposit is going to require you to tap into some resources--savings or borrowing from someone. My roommates and I all borrowed it from our parents and tried to pay them back a couple months later once the loans came in (I say tried because none of our parents actually let us...).

Sephisabin:

Thank you for helping us. You mentioned of cosigner and whether one person has and the other person not. What if for example my parents can not match that income and they can only become my cosigner in order not to pay the deposit but not for my roommates. Is it possible to say like I don't pay deposit since I have cosigner but then my roommates who don't have cosigner need to pay deposit! For example let's say my share of deposit is 4000 and my parents want to become my cosigner, does it mean that I can skip the deposit, but roommate still pay their own deposit...Do you know if places like waterside plaza accept it? Thanks a lot.

Hey!!
Got my acceptance CHRISTMAS EVE!!

GREAT CHRISTMAS PRESENT...HOPE TO MEET YOU ALL!!

Congratz!!! naz
I had the interview on the same day (when i checked ur profile at predents.com)
can I ask you where u live?
I just want to see how long it will take for me to receive it
I live in Canada.
thax!

Sephisabin:

Thank you for helping us. You mentioned of cosigner and whether one person has and the other person not. What if for example my parents can not match that income and they can only become my cosigner in order not to pay the deposit but not for my roommates. Is it possible to say like I don't pay deposit since I have cosigner but then my roommates who don't have cosigner need to pay deposit! For example let's say my share of deposit is 4000 and my parents want to become my cosigner, does it mean that I can skip the deposit, but roommate still pay their own deposit...Do you know if places like waterside plaza accept it? Thanks a lot.

I never actually asked about that, but I'm pretty sure their policy is that you need either one or the other... I'm not 100% on that though.