***Official NYU C/O 2013 Acceptance Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I looked into Stuyvesant, Kips, and Waterside this summer, and only Waterside doesn't require co-signer. So, If you don't have a co-signer for Stuy and Kips, don't even bother looking into them. Waterside required me to pay a 3 month security rent deposit which comes to 3*4000 = 12 000. I split the deposit with 3 other roomates. We will get our deposit back once our one year contract is over. For those of you want to save some $$ on rent living near the school, I suggest you guys starting making a roomate group and looking for apartments together to share. This way, you may split the deposit or if one of the guys in the group has a co-signer, everyone else just sign the contract under him/her as a tenate.

Yelp is very popular in New York. I used it to find good spots for salon, shopping places, restaurents, entertainment, street food, near the school or any other places in manhanttan. http://www.yelp.com/nyc

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you guys for providing great info! What do you guys think about summer research? Did you guys do the summer research?

Sorry Jenn, I didn't do research, but Ewok did. You can ask him if you have any questions about it. The previous 20 or so posts have a lot of information about the summer research program so you may want to look back at those.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to say thank you everyone for all the great information!!
I'm sure many readers appreciate it as much as I do!!

Sorry Jenn, I didn't do research, but Ewok did. You can ask him if you have any questions about it. The previous 20 or so posts have a lot of information about the summer research program so you may want to look back at those.

Sephisabin, and Ewok: Thank you for providing us helpful information.

Jenn, I guess the following discussion can answer your question. It was posted on a previous page by Ewok.

Congrat on those got accepted to class 2013,

I did the summer research program as an incoming D1. You should consider participating in the research program if you have nothing else planned for the summer. Why? You will have time to establish relationships with faculty members and upperclassman who will help you excel in dental school once school starts in fall. You will also find good deals on housing near the school since many students are moving out in the summer. The program is actually pretty chill. It felt more like a part-time job for me. I spent most of my time exploring the city. You get paid $500 per week, and the rent for dorm is actually reduced to around $800 per month.

Not every incoming D1 did the research program continue on doing research, but they are all very happy to have the extra time and money to settle down (or have a blast in NYC :)) before school starts in fall.

If you have any specific questions regarding the school and housing in NYC, feel free to pm me. I am glad to help.

No problem! We had some people from the class ahead of us helping us out as well and it really made things a lot easier. Just remember to pay it forward to the class of 2014!

One thing Ewok touched on that I should expand on: The amount of time you spend researching in the summer program varies a lot. I know some people who were almost working full time and other people who barely got to touch anything (to the tune of 5 hours a week or something like that). The amount of time you spend doing this research will depend on who you're working under.

Accepted today! interviewed Dec. 11th my letter got lost in the mail and I had to call them today, they scanned my letter and sent it to me via email! my first acceptance!! I'm so excited!

Sent my deposit in today, looks like I will be in NY for the next four years.

Looking forward to meeting yall

Ewok or SEphisiban, can either one of you touch on the amount of clinicals that are required of you to graduate? I heard you start seeing patients the end of your second year is this true? also do you have any stats for me on number of procedures? I'm about 80% for NYU, I'm just debating it with another school that is extremely good clinically and I want to make sure NYU is good also and not just a "safety school" as I've heard some arrogant pre-dents claim it is.

Ewok or SEphisiban, can either one of you touch on the amount of clinicals that are required of you to graduate? I heard you start seeing patients the end of your second year is this true? also do you have any stats for me on number of procedures? I'm about 80% for NYU, I'm just debating it with another school that is extremely good clinically and I want to make sure NYU is good also and not just a "safety school" as I've heard some arrogant pre-dents claim it is.

I don't know the actual number of procedures needed to graduate but it is definitely a sizable number. This is also one of the few schools that trains you in aesthetic procedures (veneers) and implants. In fact, every student gets a veneer case. NYU is a great clinical school and has a patient pool that's unmatched by most others. You shouldn't question the quality of the education here. The reason people sometimes call it a "safety" school is the price tag. People would prefer to go to cheaper schools if they get in so they call NYU a safety. I have classmates who turned down UPenn and Columbia to come here and plenty of friends who got into other highly competitive schools but didn't get into NYU. Calling it a safety school just shows ignorance.

Ask any of those people: If they got a full ride to NYU and their state school, where would they be next fall? A dean once told me that if you want to be a small town dentist, working in the suburbs, it doesn't really matter where you go to school (and there's nothing wrong with that, we need small town dentists). However, if you want to be more--someone who has seen EVERYTHING, had the special cases and treated the patients others only read about--there's no place you want to be more than NYC.

We do start seeing patients our second year, but I don't believe it will be for restorations. I know we start doing sealants our 2nd year. We start doing community outreaches our first year, where we go to local schools and evaluate kids in underserved areas for oral health.

Last edited:
Congrats guys!!!!

You'll enjoy NYUCD.. I am.. even in the cold and snow. Great classmates, faculty and a great city to explore.

Congrats guys!!!!

You'll enjoy NYUCD.. I am.. even in the cold and snow. Great classmates, faculty and a great city to explore.

manhattan is a beautiful place. a short taxi cab ride away can take you to all the fun places of new york.

Thank you guys for providing great info! What do you guys think about summer research? Did you guys do the summer research?

For those of you interested in the Summer Research Project, it is a great experience. I was a part of it last summer and I will be doing the research program again this srping. Its a great way to get acclimated before classes start. Also, it is a great opportunity to meet upper classmen to get some feedback and advise.

Members don't see this ad :)
got my acceptance letter this past monday, looking forward to starting in the fall!

got my acceptance letter this past monday, looking forward to starting in the fall!

congrats to you and everyone else. have fun this summer before school starts.

Just got accepted I might be seeing you kids next fall :thumbup:

*group hug* I'm so happy. See you all in the fall.

Has anyone started looking for housing yet? I am amazed by the prices.

I am in NYUCD and did the summer research. No regret at all. Congrat on those who got accepted, and make you deposit :)

I am in NYUCD and did the summer research. No regret at all. Congrat on those who got accepted, and make you deposit :)
when did u hear back from summer research? I applied last month but I didnt receive anything yet? Thank you

Anybody know how full the class is? Will NYU be taking people of the waitlist?

count me in :D
I am looking forward to meeting everyone!

Anyone who interviewed on Feb 6th heard anything back from them?

Hello,

I am a current D1 I am looking for someone to take over my room in June 1st. The room is at Waterside Plaza which is 7 min. walk from the school. The room itself is 10 x 16 ft and is fully furnished so you just need your clothes. I am asking for $800 (a big bargain) but it's negotiable if you contact me. This room is perfect for a summer research student since the lease ends on July 15th, so you will have the option of signing a one year lease with us if you like the the room and your male roommates. Contact me ASAP if you are interested. The room will be taken soon since $800 for a room near the school is unheard of. Thanks.

i just got in off the waitlist this past wk, too!

excited to meet u guys in august =) =)

got it and the foul. see ya in the fall

Just got a phone call from Dr.Mejia. I got in finally and interviewed back in December. So excited. Those of you who sent in deposit, how did u send in the deposit. I am from Canada.

Hey.. Congratulations on your acceptance!
I'm also from Canada, I sent in my deposit as a "money order"...

I got in too! I am so nervous to move all the way to NY ah