Official Pediatrics Shelf Exam Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How is onlinemeded for the pediatrics shelf?

Members don't see this ad.

To give an update, Onlinemeded is great for pediatrics as an introduction. It's great for every rotation.

BRS is still the best resource for peds, possibly the most valuable resource I've used for all shelf exams thus far.

I got 89 raw (~92 percentile) despite getting a few softball questions wrong.

Resources used in order:

BRS (1.5x)
UWorld (1x and then all incorrects)
Uworld flashcards of incorrects
All 4 practice NBME exams
Pretest (got through about 490/500)

BRS is fantastic, read it once quickly at the start (do the questions at the end of each chapter to reinforce) and then once more slowly through weak areas and to review.
UWorld I tried to finish quickly and review my document of incorrects/new facts often.
NBME exams were high yield as well, shows what topics they care about and had several questions similar/exactly the same (with perhaps slightly altered answer choices)
Pretest was ok.... Perhaps a good review of topics but there were many answers I disagreed with and their phrasing was often poor. Don't know if I recommend this, only if you get through all the other things.

Also BRS has a comprehensive 100 question exam at the end of the book that I totally missed out on, pretty straightforward questions, but a solid review from what I saw and worth doing.

Reactions: 1 users
To give an update, Onlinemeded is great for pediatrics as an introduction. It's great for every rotation.

BRS is still the best resource for peds, possibly the most valuable resource I've used for all shelf exams thus far.

Resources used in order:

BRS (1.5x)

BRS is fantastic, read it once quickly at the start (do the questions at the end of each chapter to reinforce) and then once more slowly through weak areas and to review.
UWorld I tried to finish quickly and review my document of incorrects/new facts often.
NBME exams were high yield as well, shows what topics they care about and had several questions similar/exactly the same (with perhaps slightly altered answer choices)
Pretest was ok.... Perhaps a good review of topics but there were many answers I disagreed with and their phrasing was often poor. Don't know if I recommend this, only if you get through all the other things.

Also BRS has a comprehensive 100 question exam at the end of the book that I totally missed out on, pretty straightforward questions, but a solid review from what I saw and worth doing.

Did you do UWorld for Peds only or Pediatrics + Medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)

Resources used in order:

BRS (1.5x)

how did your score compare to your performance on NBME exams? Do you remember how many qs you missed on the NBME exams?

possible to study for this shelf in 2 weeks? Was kind of lazy after the holiday and then I got sick. Already had IM, FM, and surg. Thanks.

Kaplan peds Qbank... WTF! I am getting killed (40%+) after reading MTB... Is that normal?

I plan to do Kaplan and Uworld... Will that be enough?

MTB is garbage for peds... Do NOT rely on it for your peds shelf!

I am gonna have to read BRS then, but not sure if will be able to do that along with Uworld in less than 3 weeks.

After tons of searching BRS and Uworld seem to be highly rated. That being said, BRS seems gargantuan and has too many numbers.
What numbers are HY for Peds? There are an insane #? I know milestones are obviously fair game.

Body measurements?
Weight gain/year?
EXACT vaccination schedules (i can deduce and get the patterns, but memorization of the whole grid?)?
Formula amounts?
There's so much more...

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, I scored in the mid 80s using Uworld and Kaplan Qbanks. An acquaintance scored in the high 80s using Uworld and BRS.

possible to study for this shelf in 2 weeks? Was kind of lazy after the holiday and then I got sick. Already had IM, FM, and surg. Thanks.
Yes. It's like internal medicine for pediatrics. So it relies more on general knowledge than things like vaccines, etc

Anyone have a pdf of the scaled score to percentile conversion for the Peds NBME 1 Practice test?

Anyone know what 83 scaled score would equate to? Peds is my first rotation of ms3 - just in case if that changes the percentile.

Reactions: 1 user
8 week peds rotation just started. Trying to get good advice on an overall study schedule. Sounds like BRS + UWorld. Any recs on how to spread out UWorld questions since I have really only had psych.

8 week peds rotation just started. Trying to get good advice on an overall study schedule. Sounds like BRS + UWorld. Any recs on how to spread out UWorld questions since I have really only had psych.

I basically spent the first 4 weeks trying to get thru one pass of brs peds and then the next 2-3 weeks doing Uworld (390 Qs) and then spent the last week going thru brs peds a second time, watching the Emma Holliday video and reading her ppt, and doing the 4 nbme practice tests.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I basically spent the first 4 weeks trying to get thru one pass of brs peds and then the next 2-3 weeks doing Uworld (390 Qs) and then spent the last week going thru brs peds a second time, watching the Emma Holliday video and reading her ppt, and doing the 4 nbme practice tests.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Kinda what I planned to do! What's the Emma Holliday video and ppt? Can you give a link?

Thoughts on highest yield chapters from BRS? I don't think I have time to do the whole book, thought I'll try and do all the questions included.

Thoughts on highest yield chapters from BRS? I don't think I have time to do the whole book, thought I'll try and do all the questions included.

I imagine you could also get some decent milage out of the genetic diseases section of BRS Pathology

Anyone who got around 70-80% right on UWorld peds questions.. how'd you do on the shelf? Trying to gauge where I'm at.

averaging 60% in Uworld peds... Am I in trouble for the shelf?
Hey, I was wondering how the shelf ended up for you bc I'm average a little below you and I'm freaking out.

Anyone know where we can find the percentile scores? School didn't send it to us

anyone know how many peds questions are in uworld, kaplan and FA qmax Qbanks?

whats a decent average on uworld that one should be hitting?

How are Emma Ramahi's peds video? Is it outdated? Or is it a good resource still?

How are Emma Ramahi's peds video? Is it outdated? Or is it a good resource still?
It is an excellent resource that will give you a nice helping of exam points. However you should combine this with some kind of resource (Onlinemeded or BRS, BRS is better) OR go hard on questions (Pretest + UWorld is a good combo).

It is an excellent resource that will give you a nice helping of exam points. However you should combine this with some kind of resource (Onlinemeded or BRS, BRS is better) OR go hard on questions (Pretest + UWorld is a good combo).

So, if I go hard on questions and don't do BRS, is that okay? That book, although a treasure, is also a tome. Do not enjoy that format.

Holy sh**t man that is a ton of work, kudos to you

So, if I go hard on questions and don't do BRS, is that okay? That book, although a treasure, is also a tome. Do not enjoy that format.
Yes, I think going through UWorld, Pretest, and ALL the NBMEs should point you in the right direction. You could also consult the Emma Holliday video for a quick review. I also have an actual Peds shelf review with slides that I posted to this website (www.divineinterventionpodcasts.com)

Yes, I think going through UWorld, Pretest, and ALL the NBMEs should point you in the right direction. You could also consult the Emma Holliday video for a quick review. I also have an actual Peds shelf review with slides that I posted to this website

Thanks a lot man. That video is long, seems helpful. Still 5.5 weeks to go for me!

Can anyone relate to how representative the practice NBMEs are to the real shelf? In terms of content and in terms of scores too

Thanks!

upload_2018-6-18_5-25-15.png

Answer is not D

I was thinking A but not sure..

Any help?

Last edited:
Just my experience on my Peds shelf - someone liked my really old post so thought I'd share ...

Studied for CLIPP exam and had to take it 3 weeks in the rotation - got a 91% (scoring and content much easier than NBME imo)

Studied for Peds shelf by ONLY Uworld - plenty of training and enough practice
This was my last shelf and my highest score - 89%

I remember the practice scores relating to the actual exam ~ 86-92% I think

In terms of content:
Remember just because it's a peds exam doesn't mean they will ONLY test peds... e.g. they can use an internal medicine/surgery question but just presenting in a kid < 18 yo - this happens across all shelves

just a random example from the top of my head - if kid comes in hemo unstable + peritonitic - next step will be to do surgery

But of course usually they'll try to stick to peds questions

Lmk if you have anymore questions - quote me so I get a notification

Good luck!

Hey ya’ll

I got 98th percentile on this shelf with literally no resources except for Zanki step 2 and Uworld.

I would HIGHLY recommend the use of the zanki step 2 deck on this particular shelf. It is extremely useful to know all the milestones and presentations directly off the top of your head.

Is BRS worth it? The book is a little expensive and almost 600 pages from what I’ve seen.

Ive been using Zanki for IM.
Are the number of UWorld Peds questions enough? Is just Zanki okay or should I download the Peds specific deck?

Is BRS worth it? The book is a little expensive and almost 600 pages from what I’ve seen.

Ive been using Zanki for IM.
Are the number of UWorld Peds questions enough? Is just Zanki okay or should I download the Peds specific deck?
BRS is the best book to prep for the shelf.

BRS is the best book to prep for the shelf.

Best book, yes (although I have classmates recommending Case Files), but is it 100% necessary? I’ve received mixed answers from people. Yeah, I am being overly neurotic.

Best book, yes (although I have classmates recommending Case Files), but is it 100% necessary? I’ve received mixed answers from people. Yeah, I am being overly neurotic.
It's not absolutely necessary but it's a good book. There are many roads to doing well on the exam. I know some people that used Case Files and did well (honors). I just preferred BRS. Use what works best for you.

I'm having trouble understanding vaccination schedules, specifically in regards to whether you can give multiple vaccinations in the same day to a kid.
1)Can you give multiple killed in the same day?
2)Can you give multiple Live vaccines in the same day?
3)Can you give both Killed and Live vaccines in the same day?
Any help would be appreciated.

83% on my NBME. Exam Friday. Yikes!