Official Pharmacy Investing (Stocks/Funds) Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You keep quoting a study that give 2 people a lump sum at the same time to invest. But you refuse to see that it doesn't apply to us since we don't graduate with a a lump sum to invest.

I see this application translate to any kind of investment. You fail to do that

Money doesn't stop working on Dec 31, the market is continuous. 401K fiscal year only caps the investment size, has no bearing on how long the money works.

Exactly that, every time you put money in the market EARLY no matter how small or how big will in average 66% beat someone who split their money evenly in 12 months.

Again, you are conjuring up $17K out of thin air that somehow every new grads are suppose to have on July 1, and another $17K 6 months later. Stop bring up money that doesn't exist.

Dial your contribution from only 15% to 70-80%, that's your lump sump in July-August (2 months = 10k grossX2 = NOT thin air) vs July-June (12 months).

Members don't see this ad.

LOL, 80% contribution, that's so funny. I'm trying to explain to you why equate a study that gave $1 million lump sum to people to invest just doesn't doesn't apply to people starting 401k from $0. But I can see that you just won't listen. Well, good luck to you then.

Last edited:
I see Apple is taking a beating this morning....Is it time to buy it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I see Apple is taking a beating this morning....Is it time to buy it?

Support at $425. Can go that low. I think the set back is temporary. I own about ~4% apple in Vanguard total stock market XD

INow, I am getting a house, my mortgage payment will be around $2200/mo PITI at 3.125% interest 30 year fixed. But, I am going to get some roommates, and it will make my rent/mortgage payment out of pocket to be close to $0/mo...

Roommates? I don't think you will like that. Living with roommates is a pain in the ass 99% of the time. Paying $2200 and living by yourself is worth it.

CVS stock is doing exceptional well. It is at an all time high.

Thanks I liked that movie. Especially the part when the Dean of the Columbia Business School started getting irritated. But you got me wrong somewhere along the line. I'm not sticking up for the Fed. Like the movie shows, many of the people at the Fed and Treasury are ex-bankers, and they are all playing a big game with the economy for their own personal benefit. But they still need us worker bees humming along spending and consuming stuff so the economy keeps moving and they can take their cream off the top, and that's why they need to increase the money supply to stimulate the economy. They also WANT the resulting inflation because that comes with a growing economy. I don't really agree with you when you say inflation is excessive right now. But I do agree that probably an asset bubble will eventually form somewhere and the Fed won't cut the money supply fast enough to stop it from popping. Not that they really care anyway, because they will probably be milking that bubble on the way up, and taking care of themselves and their buddies after the crash. And I don't really care either. I just play the game too, as best I can.

I am still holding back on buying bonds. It doesn't make sense to me how bonds (supposedly less risk) have been outperforming stocks (until last year). You pay for the risk you take. I think people were just afraid and dump their money in bonds and bond prices are overpriced. I think it will drop further especially if the government get the debt ceiling resolve.

bonds continue to drop:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323539804578263603409776278.html

The stock market is going up, up, up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/26/business/daily-stock-market-activity.html

I am not convinced the housing market has recovered.

It has not recovered completely yet, but it is recovering in some part of the country...For instance, most houses in south FL (Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach county) lost over 50% in value during the downturn. These houses are the ones that seem to be regaining some of their value now. I bought a house 14 months ago for 150k (previous owner paid 305k for it in 2007). They are selling the same type of house in the same community for 200k-210k now. I am kicking myself now because I was about to buy another one couple of months after I bought the first one and I got scared and pulled back. Also, in my neighborhood, there were condos (2BR/2BA) selling for 28k-32k about 1 year ago. You would be lucky now to find these same condos for 50k.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was born in November. Mine are pushing 3 months and 21 months. :D

Oops, sorry, now I feel like a nincompoop. A belated congratulations! Mine will be 23 months apart. Oh the pain on the wallet. I feel bad for not having started a 529 yet, but was thinking that we didn't need one so why take the risk of a 10% hit. What are your thoughts?

Oops, sorry, now I feel like a nincompoop. A belated congratulations! Mine will be 23 months apart. Oh the pain on the wallet. I feel bad for not having started a 529 yet, but was thinking that we didn't need one so why take the risk of a 10% hit. What are your thoughts?

No worries! And thanks! :D

I feel you on the pain in the wallet thing. You should see our daycare bill. :eek: At least our health insurance is the same price for one kid or 20 kids. And I'm looking forward to the extra tax deduction. We also saved somewhat on baby clothing because ours are both male. Had to buy some stuff though, because #1 was a summer baby and #2 is a winter boy. But it's OK.

We have 529 plans for both boys. Our financial adviser suggested getting them set up, but not putting priority on them just yet. Right now we are prioritizing paying down student loans and retirement savings. So I just put a little bit into their accounts every time I get paid, and saving any cash gifts they get. We are also expecting some money from a relative's estate and some of that will go to college savings too. It's a lot to think about!

No worries! And thanks! :D

I feel you on the pain in the wallet thing. You should see our daycare bill. :eek: At least our health insurance is the same price for one kid or 20 kids. And I'm looking forward to the extra tax deduction. We also saved somewhat on baby clothing because ours are both male. Had to buy some stuff though, because #1 was a summer baby and #2 is a winter boy. But it's OK.

We have 529 plans for both boys. Our financial adviser suggested getting them set up, but not putting priority on them just yet. Right now we are prioritizing paying down student loans and retirement savings. So I just put a little bit into their accounts every time I get paid, and saving any cash gifts they get. We are also expecting some money from a relative's estate and some of that will go to college savings too. It's a lot to think about!

2 boys! That's awesome! My second is gonna be a girl. Nothing against a girl but oh the expense and worries down the road, <sigh>. The thing with 529 thing is if your kids get a full rider scholarship then cashing it out will cost you 10%, and Texas has not state tax benefit to begin with so... Damn. I would like them to go to my alma matter, UT-austin, so even harder to decide. With a moderate investment horizon of 16-17, it would have to be something like 50/50 stocks/bonds anyway. My concern is that that with the unsustainably low bond yield, such a mixture would result in little or now gain. Yet if I go for a more stock heavy portfolio, I would be risking too much for such a time frame, hence the indecisiveness.

"Weak housing report leads to mixed finish"

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/29/business/daily-stock-market-activity.html

We are not out of the wood yet.

The Commerce Department said Wednesday that economic output in the quarter fell at an annual rate of 0.1 percent, compared with growth of a 3.1 percent pace in the third quarter.

It marked the slowest rate of growth since the second quarter of 2009.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/b...ctedly-contracted-in-fourth-quarter.html?_r=0

if the market drop significantly, who's going to put more money in the stock market?

I will. Too much, too fast. Optimism at the peak. Overbought.

It may be a tip of the iceberg. I am going to wait and see.

Nice to see I finally got a check for $2000 from payroll, maxed out 401k. I hope market roll to the downside soon so I can buy stocks using after tax money on the cheap :-( It's a sin is when stocks up 7% in just a month...

The Dow is almost 14,000. The job report was lackluster. Where is the optimism coming from?

The Dow is almost 14,000. The job report was lackluster. Where is the optimism coming from?

Money from bond investor. And, people who are afraid they are going to miss the party...

There is like nowhere to put your money nowadays except in stocks, just like how the fed wants it. I am thinking about rebalancing this weekend. We were making money but I still don't understand the optimism. The recent GDP report shows how depend our economy is on government assistance. That can't last forever.

I think people who went in when the market was down will take some money out soon. I will see on Monday and may make further changes.

Last edited:
I use the Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index Fund for my spare cash. The return for the year to 1/31/2013 was 1.35%. It used to be over 2% until the last few months when bonds got hammered. The unit price does fluctuate a little, but not that much. $10.50-$10.70 for the past few years. You can sell anytime and they do not restrict you from rebuying after you sell. You can even get a check book.

I recently sold my treasuries and put the money in international stocks.

There is like nowhere to put your money nowadays except in stocks, just like how the fed wants it. I am thinking about rebalancing this weekend. We were making money but I still don't understand the optimism. The recent GDP report shows how depend our economy is on government assistance. That can't last forever.

The market dropped 200 points today. Think small time investors are going to bail out? The housing market is holding up stocks. If the reports this week are not good, expect more sell off. Who is planning to buy if the market drop?

I'm going to buy when it is drops 5% off the high.

Is there anyone investing in real estate? Is it a good idea to buy an investment property this year in south FL?

Yes I do. Florida is a great place to invest. Sarasota in particular.

Support at $425. Can go that low. I think the set back is temporary. I own about ~4% apple in Vanguard total stock market XD

52 week low @$420, below support... next downside target $411. Great potential to bounce to $472... I'd buy right here if I were a stock picker...

Sure the market is at an all time high and we all made a killing. I wonder how long this will last

Dow at 14.3k, S&P over 1500. It's good too look at my 401k but I feel uneasy. This feel like irrationall exuberance. The recovery, while is on the way, is sluggish, and corporate profit in no way match what was at the hight of the last bubble 2006-2007. So on what basis is the overall market justifying the same valuation?

The US is not china, there is no hugely untapped market and room for growth. At the current level, and I can't help to feel that now the downside potential is higher than the upside for the near term.

Too bad the really is nowhere else to put money, interest rate too low, bond still over priced. Shorting is an option but most 401k won't let you do that. Maybe I should ask parents to get me some connections in China to but some A shares there.