**OFFICIAL** Post-MCAT Discussions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Let's keep our post-MCAT discussions and rants quarantined to one thread. Also, try to indicate the form you had in discussions, and perhaps give a little review of the test?

Form: FH

PS: I thought the PS section for FH was a little more difficult than the AAMC exams. FH was very, very calculation and physics heavy -- I was expecting mostly concept and graph interpretation. I also had a lot of stuff dealing with electromagnetism and circuits -- at least three or four passages worth. I also got the fabulous passage about the electrician, which ended up having questions regarding circuits and rotational motion! (The guy drops his Volt-Ohm Meter into a bucket of water and swings it around by its cord to dry it off. I thought whoever wrote the passage was insane after seeing all the excess information I was getting). Whoever wrote that passage deserves a raise, as it was very entertaining.

I don't think I did as well as I predicted on the prediction thread. I think I guessed an 8-10 (don't remember), but I feel more like a 6-9.

VR: This was pretty typical of the AAMC exams. I had one passage about evolution that was very similar to a passage on 4R, something about art critics, and some boring passages I can't even remember now. I think I did decent, somewhere between an 8-11.

Writing: I had form 057. I remember what my topics were, but I don't think I'm supposed to say anything. Both were basically the same thing. What a waste of time.

BS: I think I did very well on BS, which is suprising because I figured it would be my lowest section. I had just a handful of organic-related questions, most of which were based on something I could derive from the passage. All the other passages were either molecular or population genetics, cell biology, or microbiology, most of which was graph or table interpreation. I feel I utilized the graphs and information in the passage well, and caught most of the "tricks" and will end up with a relatively decent score between 9-12.

Overall Experience: Overall, I would say I had a good experience. I got a good chuckle from the people who thought they could learn something studying in the hall outside of the test room in the 30 minutes before the exam. I got a laugh out of the people who whipped out notebooks to study during the 10-minute breaks. The room was very familiar, as I took the exam in a building I have had many classes in. The room was a bit chilly, however, but that probably kept me awake during the writing section. The proctors were very friendly, and I didn't have many distrubances. 23 of us were situated in a room designed for 60, and there were only 6 guys.

I did notice, however, that many people had problems with the timing. I somehow managed to finished always at least 20 minutes before the time was called. PS I finished about 40 minutes early and VR was around 30. The poor girl seated in front of me (we had stadium-style seating) always had an entire column of blank answers at the 5-minute call in every section. I feel bad for her.

I figured things wouldn't work out for me, as I didn't get much sleep (maybe 4 hours total) and my car failed to start this morning (I had to borrow a parent's). I decided to talk to God about it on the way to the exam, and not five minutes afterwards a white dove flew by the car at a stoplight. I ended up doing well and the day went smoothly, with no storming as was predicted. I'll let you decide for yourself if it was coincidence or not, but it was still pretty cool, especially to someone struggling with faith :thumbup:

Final Score: Honestly, I think I did, "good enough". My overall score I expect to be somewhere between 24-30, possibly higher. I do NOT expect to have to take it again in April.

Of course, October 14 may have other plans...

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I had the same form as you. I think I'm gonna be in the crappiest of all situations as I predict my score to be a 6, 12, 12. Think I rocked verbal and bio and feel like crap about PS. Praying to God I at least got an 8 because I'm pretty sure I didn't do worse than 11,11 in verbal and bio.

bella_dottoressa said:
Yeah I had the same form as you. I think I'm gonna be in the crappiest of all situations as I predict my score to be a 6, 12, 12. Think I rocked verbal and bio and feel like crap about PS. Praying to God I at least got an 8 because I'm pretty sure I didn't do worse than 11,11 in verbal and bio.

I actually enjoyed reading some of the VR passages. I liked the one in VR about memes as an additional concept of evolution. It's almost straight developmental psychology. In fact, I already knew about these and a lot of the terms.

I also enjoyed a lot of the BS passages, like the stuff about the sexually promiscuous birds.

Lol, me too. I had actually read an article on the extra-pair copulations in sandpipers in an evolution class I took this spring. The only one I couldn't figure out was the one about why the old male birds got to the breeding grounds first??

Seriously, that bio was NOT bad. I'm sure the curve will be piss poor but still, I enjoyed taking that test. Sparse on the ochem and it wasn't bad. Jeez, though physical I'm scared of. Verbal was like the aamc's I agree. Not a bad day...Now's the hard part huh, the waiting

Members don't see this ad :)
bella_dottoressa said:

you verbal people amaze me. how do you guys do it? I can never tell how I do in verbal. When I took the April MCAT I was expecting 8-11 based on my practice scores, but I dismally got a 5, so I had to retake it this August and I struggled to finish and wasn't sure about 1/2 of the answers I entered; now compound that with the possiblity of getting 1/3 of the other 30 wrong. This section is stupid :thumbdown: I am generally cool with science :thumbup:

As for the PS you are likely to be amazed. I got a calculation-heavy form in April, but I made 10.

FORM AG

Physical ? hyperventilated proctor talked someone fought to get in late
No comment
Verbal ? ok ..but why the ferocious 30 pencil underline?what the hell are these people underlining??? SERIOUSLY!?????
WS ? what can I say .. language was English?I like to punk2ate
Bio- POS why don?t they just ASK me to draw the 20 amino acids next time

I had form CM. I really have absolutely NO IDEA how I did. I know I screwed up some things in bio, but overall I'm really uncertain. Just another 2 months till we find out our scores :rolleyes:

bella_dottoressa said:
Lol, me too. I had actually read an article on the extra-pair copulations in sandpipers in an evolution class I took this spring. The only one I couldn't figure out was the one about why the old male birds got to the breeding grounds first??

I decided it was so they would be the first to copulate with the female. Since the females had laid eggs after copulation with the second and third males that were not theirs paternally, the first bird to bag her had a better chance of spreading his genes.

Or maybe he's old enough to realize he can get free sex and make some other guy take care of his kids. :D

I had EK
thought PS was hard...almost lost hope after that section...
pulled myself together and realized VR and BS were not hard at all...stuff I would expect...and I think I did juuuuust fine :)

It's over ! :)

bgreet said:
I had form CM. I really have absolutely NO IDEA how I did. I know I screwed up some things in bio, but overall I'm really uncertain. Just another 2 months till we find out our scores :rolleyes:

I had this form as well. I didn't like the PS very much, but I thought verbal was about medium in terms of difficulty. I thought bio wasn't too bad, there was hardly any organic chem, and the organic chem that was there wasn;t that hard. Did anyone else have form CM? WHat did u guys think?

premedgeek said:
JKDMed,

how the hell do you finish VR 30 minutes early?

Good memory I guess. I read fast and just pick whatever answer, "makes sense". Some people mark stuff and refer back to the passages several times, but somehow I'm able to bypass this necessity by keeping it all in short-term memory while answering the questions. I do have to sometimes refer back for minor details, but the, "big ideas" stay in my memory.

I've always been able to just read something once and remember it for at least awhile.

YEah I'm the same way. I used to get done with verbal in like 50 minutes. I had to make a conscious effort to slow myself down.

Members don't see this ad :)
I usually complete the VERBAL section of the MCAT in approximately 7 minutes, give or take 78 minutes. Unfortunately, I found myself completing the VERBAL section of the August 2004 REAL DEAL MCAT (Form CN) in 3 hours and 22 days...not good enough for a 14 I think.

CT

PS - Had a little trouble with the EM stuff
VR - Thought I did fine
BS - A couple things threw me off.

Overall - I don't think I did that great as I struggled to finish a couple sections. I did practice VR before the MCAT but never any passages in PS and BS. Summer school made preparing for the MCAT rather difficult. And how I did determines if applying for 2005 was even worth my time.

Did anyone else have this form?

PS- was crazy hard. I ended up not finishing and marked "C" for about 5 answers and guessed quickly on another 5. Not only that, the one passage with the conducting rod killed me. I thought I had a firm grasp on PS considering I studied it more than BS and made a ginormous stack of flash cards but.... :(

VR - Not too bad...I guessed on the last passage because I ran out of time but was able to pick out some answers. Passages were more interesting this time...

BS - I thought this was a little too easy. Except for one organic passage that was in there. I started running out of time for the last passage but instead of reading and trying to answer what I could, I was able to answer all except for one question without any passage information.

Overall, I think PS kicked my butt and will land me a seat for the April 2005 MCAT.

Overall, I think PS kicked my butt and will land me a seat for the April 2005 MCAT.

Ugh me too. And to make it worse I really feel like I nailed the other two sections. I think alot of people think they got killed on PS and end up doing ok...I'm just praying I got an 8 or something so I don't have to retake because I really think the other two went well...

Speaking of the same answer...I knew this couldn't be good but I got "B" for 6 straight answers... :confused:

Oh, JKDMed, for that infamous electrician passage... :) ...when the volt-ohm meter was connected to the resistors in that question with the diagram what was it trying to measure?

i cant ever do this again
EVER
the bio was 100x worse than i expected i still have a lot of dificulty getting over that ( RE: form Ag)

SOOOOO Glad for it to be over

I had form DG. I found the PS and BS to of regular difficulty, not tooo bad.
But the verbal was killer, especially the passage about firrusted limestone, so many questions. I did not have time to do the last passage which was easy too, so I just guessed on most, by putting C's. I think it was about seed dispersal

I feel like a survivor. I don't think I can take this test again, regardless of what my score is. My marriage wouldn't last!

The PS section of my test seemed really hard, very calculation intensive, which tends to give me severe brain freeze. Verbal felt easier than normal, and bio felt pretty rough. I'm so pissed that I screwed up the Beta Lactam question. I'm now going over all the mistakes I made. Oy vay!!

Well, at least I ROCKED the WS again....my S was a great help last time. <sign>

Congrats to everyone; we're finished!!

BH

was the beta lactam a stand alone? I had form FH and a stand alone asked what the atoms were in a beta lactam. i was like how random. it was a I, II, and III one too. all i remembered was that there was a little paragraph in EK's ochem in the carbonyl chapter on it so I put C and O...no, it was C,O AND N. How random.

bella_dottoressa said:
Speaking of the same answer...I knew this couldn't be good but I got "B" for 6 straight answers... :confused:

Yeah..I felt the other two sections went fairly well. I don't know if it was just easier comparatively or if my studying really paid off. I got a lot of B's as well. I kept reminding myself to not panic and that if they wanted to, they could make all the answers "B's."

Had Form AG

Physics: I thought it was easy - really - hardly any calculations at all. There were probably 5 questions that stumped me, another 5 -8 that were kind of tricky, and the rest, in my opinion were straight forward.

I had problems finishing the Kaplan FL Physics sections, and they were so loaded with calculations. This AAMC Physics had relatively few calculations. I was surprised.

That being said, I scored between 10 - 11 on all my Kaplan FL Physics sections so I seriously doubt that I scored higher than an 11. That's just the statistics.

Some Passages:
Double Pendulum (easy)
Fullerine (easy)
Wind in Trachea (easy)
Decay of 210Po (easy)

Verbal: Friggin crazy hard. I'm not that good at verbal to begin with, but these passages killed me. I would be happy with a 9. I wish I could draw upon some of the Kaplan conversion charts - but I probably got 20 wrong. It really pissed me off.

Some Passages:
Human Rights (hard)
Shakespear (med - hard)
Divergent vs Convergent Ev (easy)
China Porclean (med - hard)
NEA (med)

Writing Sample: We can't say what we had? I had for 57. It's standard stuff. Probably get a 4,5 or 4,4. IF we can say I'll be happy to repeat what I got.

Biology: It was tricky - not much regurguritation of facts. A lot of applied knowledge questions. I had 5 minutes left over and after going over a few of the hard questions I changed my answers. Overall it was slightly more difficult than the Kaplan tests. I probably got between 20 - 25 wrong which puts me in the 10 range.

Only had 4 OChem passages (but they were hard!)

Some passages:
Evolution (med)
Bacteria growth (hard)
Spinal Transection (hard!)
Cardiac action potentials (med - hard)
c-myc and chromosome 8 shiit (med)
Respiration (med)

Form: FH

PS: I thought the PS section for FH was a little more difficult than the AAMC exams. FH was very, very calculation and physics heavy -- I was expecting mostly concept and graph interpretation. I also had a lot of stuff dealing with electromagnetism and circuits -- at least three or four passages worth. I also got the fabulous passage about the electrician, which ended up having questions regarding circuits and rotational motion! (The guy drops his Volt-Ohm Meter into a bucket of water and swings it around by its cord to dry it off. I thought whoever wrote the passage was insane after seeing all the excess information I was getting). Whoever wrote that passage deserves a raise, as it was very entertaining.

I think I had the same form, it was called FG but it looks like we probably had the same stuff. Physical? I don't even want to think about all the time i spent studying acids, bases, solutions, keq, none of it was on here. It was pretty much all magnetism, circuits, radioactivity - basically the stuff I wish hadn't been on there. I usually had 10's, 11's on the aamc physicals but I straight guessed on 15 questions (really stupid passage where the guy drops his voltmeter in the bucket, what the hell is that?) - thougth I got another 10 iffy, came up with about 5 questions that required lots of calculation and always came up with answers not in the answer choice, so basically i think i got at most a 7 or 8. Verbal was easy except the one about critics, i think i did nearly perfect otherwise on that section. Biology was nothing tough at all, just about 7 passges on bio and a few orgo, one slightly tough one but who cares, - hopefully, the curve on physical was high.

FORM AG

PS: Not bad at all, but I think I missed a couple.. nothign to get too stressed over.

VR: ****ing shoot me now, SHOOT ME. So fawking hard. I really really really hope that human rights passage was an experimental because that **** just ****ed me in the ass hard. The shakespeare one was tough too. Man o man...

BS: Not bad again. Already missed one, but no biggie.

PRAYING FOR: 30+

Mike, you're probably chuckling right now reading this.. bastard SIGN UP AND GIVE YOUR INPUT FOO

thegenius,

we had the same exam, AG. I felt the same. The other sections I didn't feel were too bad. Verbal was hard! I wasn't certain about many of my answers and made so so so many guesses... "I did not have that you nailed it feeling" as you can have as you are going through the sciences.

JKDMed said:
I decided it was so they would be the first to copulate with the female. Since the females had laid eggs after copulation with the second and third males that were not theirs paternally, the first bird to bag her had a better chance of spreading his genes.

Or maybe he's old enough to realize he can get free sex and make some other guy take care of his kids. :D

It's funny...I took the April 2003 MCAT. Interestingly, we had the SAME passage. I kid you not! About why older birds fly far away to mate with the females (and how the younger males are more fit? etc) There was also something about sperm and egg? or something...

I am now 100% convinced that an experimental passage exists. I had the SAME passage. anyways, just thought i'd share the 411.

peace guys.

btw, any takers on form EH?

bella_dottoressa said:
Oh, JKDMed, for that infamous electrician passage... :) ...when the volt-ohm meter was connected to the resistors in that question with the diagram what was it trying to measure?

bella, I haven't had physics II, just the lab for physics II, so I had to dig up from memory. Since the volt-ohm meter was connected only to a resistor, I just tried to remember what resistors do.

I actually just realized I got that wrong. When you put leads on just a resistor without any current, you're measuring its resistance. I can't believe I didn't realize this during the exam. :mad: Hence, "Volt-OHMS" meter.

I think I glanced at the diagram and thought it was connected to the circuit on each side of the resistor. Oh well. I guess my pitfall was how early the PS was. :D

Form: FM

Timing really killed me on this exam. I didn't practice timing until the last couple of weeks, and took all my AAMC's untimed except for VR. My AAMC scores were usually around 33 or so since 5r, but I feel like I completely bombed this exam. I ran out of time on Bio, and PS, and had to bubble in probably 10-12 questions with nothing more than a cursory glance at the question. I did fine with VR, felt like a 10, but Bio was probably an 8, and PS a 7. April MCAT here I come :( I think I'll take the Kaplan course this time and do all those Saturday tests in timed conditions. I think that would have completely made a huge difference in my performance.

PS I thought was much harder than the AAMC practice tests.
Bio I thought was about the same, and was glad it didn't have too much orgo.
VR I thought was a little easier than the AAMC exams.

Again though, timing is what kicked my ass. Ah well.

I got Test BG... SF.

PS: Was aight, probably did better than I should have. Finished 10 minutes early, had time to go back.

VR: I HATE YOU AAMC. Verbal reasoning, this will be the death of me...I finished but I don't know how, and I don't remember a thing...I have a feeling that I will be taking this shieet in April again, because of verbal reasoning. COT DAMNN. I did at least, at least 20 VR tests of 9, including EK. Those questions just seemed extra tricky. Once again, DIE AAMC DIE, NOW GOTO SLEEP B*TCH DIE MUTHAF*KA DIE...

BS: Easy, piece o cake. I guess it depends on the test? I thought it was okay, and was well balanced with subject. I though the O-chem was extremely easy. And fungal questions are the shieet.

But seriously when I get my scores back, I know everything I say now will be wrong. Heres hoping I'm right. CHRIS, that verbal was the hardest shiet in life, reminded me of the rapein' I got on R7.

PS: Covered topics on everything I didn't like (especially in physics), but I think I managed...I hope I don't jinx that though.

VR: TERRIBLE! Is it me, or am I mistaken when I think I got three 10-question passages? Maybe it was a 7 question one that I thought was a 10...anyway, I took FOREVER on that Drake one...& everything else...ugh. It killed me. I was never good at verbal to begin with, so I definitely got screwed there.

BS: Where the hell was all the genetics that was supposed to be there?! I was counting on that to take care of my score...yeah right though. That passage w/the spinal chord or something was way beyond me...I dunno what else, but ending w/bio left me with the worst feeling in the world. UGH.

I seriously thought this exam was out to get me. It covered my least favorite topics, things that I didn't know as well as others, or things that I didn't think were important. Everything just seemed to worked against me...just my luck, huh? Sigh...

docjolly said:
Hmm..well, I know I advised b/f against discussing specific questions, but I'm going to have to contradict myself ( :smuggrin: ) and comment about this one quesiton alone :

bella, I guessed the same answer as you. How were we supposed to know that Nitrogen was involved??? Was this a structure that was supposed to be memorized??

This was one question where I got lucky, I think. I made a guess based on the name, lactam; a combination of some form of lactose or lactic acid and an amine probably; Hence C, O and N.

JKDMed said:
I figured things wouldn't work out for me, as I didn't get much sleep (maybe 4 hours total) and my car failed to start this morning (I had to borrow a parent's). I decided to talk to God about it on the way to the exam, and not five minutes afterwards a white dove flew by the car at a stoplight. I ended up doing well and the day went smoothly, with no storming as was predicted. I'll let you decide for yourself if it was coincidence or not, but it was still pretty cool, especially to someone struggling with faith :thumbup:

That is some really cool stuff. Weirdly surreal and emotional if you ask me.

Karina said:
I had EK
thought PS was hard...almost lost hope after that section...
pulled myself together and realized VR and BS were not hard at all...stuff I would expect...and I think I did juuuuust fine :)

It's over ! :)
Weird - PS was a breeeeeze, but the Thoreau passage in VR was right when I got a bloody nose! I had been blowing my nose all week, and I was just dabbing and it started gushing. I didn't have to leave the room, but it threw my concentration and wasted some time. VR was hard, and BS was like it always was for me - not too bad.

Showed up.
Knew some answers.
Guessed on some.
Finished all sections.
Went home.
Took a nap.
Went to work.

How did I do? Honestly, I don't care right now.

I just about burst out laughing after getting an image of a psycho swinging a kettle by its cord. This guy is an electrician??? WTF! I thought FH PS and VR were pretty entertaining in this respect - far out!

thank god it's over....
VERBAL: all i know is i did all of the ek verbal passages, some kaplan and aamc and that is the hardest one i have ever seen... the rest, who cares? i am going to sit back and finally have a summer vacation :cool:

bella_dottoressa said:
was the beta lactam a stand alone? I had form FH and a stand alone asked what the atoms were in a beta lactam. i was like how random. it was a I, II, and III one too. all i remembered was that there was a little paragraph in EK's ochem in the carbonyl chapter on it so I put C and O...no, it was C,O AND N. How random.

how were we supposed to know the structure of beta lactam...

i put C and O too :confused:

I had form AP.

PS I thought was fair. Nothing too difficult although I barely finished. Double pendulum, Polonium decay, speed donut...

VR I usually do well in Verbal. I scored a 10 last year. However, I felt that a few questions were really badly worded and some had two possible answers. Passages were on NEA, nature on campus, Sir Francis Drake, angiosperms...

BS This was my weakest area. It shouldn't be but it is. I always need more time to finish. I thought this section was fairly tricky. The passages were very detailed. A few stand alones on amino acids that I wished we had drawings of... And two spectrometry questions that I should have prepared for.

Hi
I had the EK form too. I agree with u karina.. the PS was hard, and added to our protcor problems i think it was worse. I am having nightmares about that thing. Anyway, verbal wasnt bad and bio was great. I think i did well on both of those. Yeah the B lactam threw me off too.. Anyway I am keeping my fingers crossed so i can retake the PS.
Bye
Amy

Anyone with GH?

PS: close to 8 passages on gen chem. I usually kill on physics questions so I really had to change gears for this test. Lost of solubility, electrochemistry, equilibriums, etc. Thank God there wasn't any optics questions. One or two electromagnitism needed calculations. Not to bad.

VR: Started out easy with Tibeten monks but went downhill at around passage 3 or 4. This was crazy hard. Lots of questions I felt like I needed to spend more time on but just picked one and went on. Was going to go back when I finished but only finished approx. 4 minutes early. Fixed only one answer.

BS: This was tricky. Harder than AAMC and Kaplan tests. 2 genetics passages and the majority bio. I was really hoping for more ochem, but no.

Score a 30 last year so it was a really risky for me to retake. Now I'm just praying I didn't do worse.

Havent seen anyone talk about form CN yet.. so let me start: :laugh:

Physical science: Very Physics II heavy, ie: E=hf, fluids, some X-ray apparatus, circuits (projectile motion,The chemistry portion had some solutions, bonding (i think), and electrochemistry. Overall, the level of difficulty was similar to the AAMCs I took (6, 7), but I probably didnt do as well.. since it seemed a little bit more reading intensive than the practice versions

Verbal
: started easy, (short, relatively easy reading, though few numbers of questions).. had 2 huge passages in the middle with like 8 or 9 questions each (very detailed.. one on caves and another one on anthropology or something, so slowed me down a bit) and the last passage sucked.. had no clue what it was talking about, so i guessed on all 6 of them :(

Writing sample: had the same as everyone else. no idea how i did though..lol.. it was a nice post lunch break to get over my food coma

Biological sciences: It was probably one of the most difficult biology sections I've taken.. you really had to read into the passages, and some of them were more reading comp than analysis.. (so basically like a natural sciences verbal passage).. tested some random factoids that i had forgotten b/c I didnt review them recently.. orgo was pretty easy.. alot easier than i expected (which kind of sucks b/c orgo is one of my strengths).

oh well. i guess we'll find out in mid oct.. i think the wait will be worse than the actual preparation... :eek:

Beta lactams were covered in EK's OChem book... it's a 4-membered cyclic amide...which means C, O and N. Anyone else feeling extremely lazy today? It's 1 in the afternoon and I JUST brushed my teeth... Gosh I LOVE this life! :p

bella_dottoressa said:
was the beta lactam a stand alone? I had form FH and a stand alone asked what the atoms were in a beta lactam.

I had form EH.. this was a standalone for mine too.

Last term we made a lactam in orgo lab, only reason I knew the answer.
very random wuestion indeed