Official Rejection List c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheltermed

omg idk
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems that some rejections have gone out, so I figured I would get this started! Copied and pasted format from last year's thread.

I know it's not the most positive of the lists we have, but it's helpful for current and future applicants to gauge application review timelines. Remember, it only takes one acceptance! Best of luck to everyone & much love during this stressful and anxiety-ridden time!! ♥♥♥

Include your username, mode of rejection (e.g. email, snail mail, portal), and the date you received your rejection!

UNITED STATES:

Auburn University:

University of California:

Colorado State University:

Cornell University:

University of Florida:

University of Georgia:

University of Illinois:

Iowa State University:

Kansas State University:

Lincoln Memorial University:

Louisiana State University:

Michigan State University:

Midwestern University:

University of Minnesota:

Mississippi State University:

University of Missouri:

North Carolina State University:

Ohio State University:

Oklahoma State University:

Oregon State University:

University of Pennsylvania:

Purdue University:

Texas A&M University:

University of Tennessee:

Tufts University:

Tuskegee University:

Virginia-Maryland Regional College:

Washington State University:

Western University of Health Sciences:

University of Wisconsin:

CANADA:

University of Calgary (Alberta):

University of Guelph (Ontario):

University of Montreal (Quebec):

University of Prince Edward Island [Atlantic; AVC] (PEI):

University of Saskatchewan [Western] (Saskatchewan):

UNITED KINGDOM:

Royal Veterinary College (England):

University College Dublin (Ireland):

University of Edinburgh (Scotland):

University of Glasgow (Scotland):

AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND:

Massey University (New Zealand):

University of Melbourne (Australia):

Murdoch University (Australia):

University of Queensland (Australia):

University of Sydney (Australia):

THE ISLANDS:

Ross University (St. Kitts):

St. George's University (Grenada):

St. Matthew's University (Cayman Islands)

Members don't see this ad.

I left the ones I applied to (yes I applied to 38 schools) blank that I haven't heard back from yet. I'm sure I'll be able to updateyou all on more rejections timelines soon :)

UNITED STATES:

Auburn University: Email, 10/11/18

University of California:email, 11/9/18

Colorado State University:

Cornell University:

University of Florida:

University of Georgia: email, 11/2/18

University of Illinois:

Iowa State University: Email (then through their portal), 10/19/18

Kansas State University:

Lincoln Memorial University:

Louisiana State University:

Michigan State University:

Midwestern University: Email, 7/28/18

University of Minnesota:

Mississippi State University:Email, 8/13/18

University of Missouri:

North Carolina State University:Email, 11/5/18

Ohio State University:

Oklahoma State University:

Oregon State University:

University of Pennsylvania: Email, 11/5/18

Purdue University:

University of Tennessee:

Tufts University:

Virginia-Maryland Regional College:

Washington State University:

Western University of Health Sciences: Email, 8/23/18

University of Wisconsin:

CANADA:

University of Guelph (Ontario):

University of Prince Edward Island [Atlantic; AVC] (PEI):

UNITED KINGDOM:

Royal Veterinary College (England):Email, 10/25/18

University College Dublin (Ireland):

University of Edinburgh (Scotland):

University of Glasgow (Scotland): email, 11/8/18

AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND:

Massey University (New Zealand): Email, 11/2/18, accepted into pre vet selection program

THE ISLANDS:

Ross University (St. Kitts):

St. George's University (Grenada): Accepted! 11/9/18

Last edited by a moderator:
I left the ones I applied to (yes I applied to 38 schools) blank that I haven't heard back from yet.
:eek: All the more power to you if you've got the money to do that, I guess, but seriously... why?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask what your GPA was? I’m really worried about mine screwing me over as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure. My Cum is 3.32 and my Science is 2.75. Last 45 GPa is 3.2. So not great hence why I applied to so many schools. I did have an interview with St. George's though so I got that going for me which is nice.

Reactions: 2 users
Sure. My Cum is 3.32 and my Science is 2.75. So not great hence why I applied to so many schools.
If you end up having to reapply, it would be best to make sure you meet the minimum requirements of all the schools you’re applying to so you’re not wasting money. Schools are going to just throw out your app if you don’t meet minimums, even barely.

Reactions: 4 users
If you end up having to reapply, it would be best to make sure you meet the minimum requirements of all the schools you’re applying to so you’re not wasting money. Schools are going to just throw out your app if you don’t meet minimums, even barely.
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind if I do have to/decide to reapply.

Sure. My Cum is 3.32 and my Science is 2.75. So not great hence why I applied to so many schools.

Thanks for sharing! My cum is 3.31 as well... My science is 3.34 and last 45 is 3.57. Im really worried about it but hoping that my GREs, experiences, and LORs will keep me in the running. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind if I do have to/decide to reapply.
Yeah, I think most schools have some sort of cut off, with some being higher than others. Like Michigan State won’t even LOOK at your app if you don’t have a 3.0 science and last 36 gpa.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for sharing! My cum is 3.31 as well... My science is 3.34 and last 45 is 3.57. Im really worried about it but hoping that my GREs, experiences, and LORs will keep me in the running. :shrug:
Sounds like you are way better off than me. Good luck! I'm sure you'll get in.

Yeah, I think most schools have some sort of cut off, with some being higher than others. Like Michigan State won’t even LOOK at your app if you don’t have a 3.0 science and last 36 gpa.
Good to know. Thanks.

Sounds like you are way better off than me. Good luck! I'm sure you'll get in.

I managed to get my last 45 up by taking 2 pre-recs at community college and getting As. Without those classes, my last 45 would have been right around my cGPA as well, and my science GPA would have probably been lower than my cGPA too. If you do have to reapply, I personally think it's worth taking some science classes at "easier" schools to get some As. I know that if I have to apply again, my plan is to try to bring everything up even more with some more community college classes.

I managed to get my last 45 up by taking 2 pre-recs at community college and getting As. Without those classes, my last 45 would have been right around my cGPA as well, and my science GPA would have probably been lower than my cGPA too. If you do have to reapply, I personally think it's worth taking some science classes at "easier" schools to get some As. I know that if I have to apply again, my plan is to try to bring everything up even more with some more community college classes.

Thanks for the advice. We'll see I guess what and if I have to do it. I have excellent experience (years worth of vet in large, small, exotic, and research) and LORs that I'm hoping will pull me through.

I would suggest also considering a gap year between applications

I left the ones I applied to (yes I applied to 38 schools) blank that I haven't heard back from yet. I'm sure I'll be able to updateyou all on more rejections timelines soon :)
Wow! 38 schools. I applied to 16 and stressed with doing that many lmao. Bless your heart! I hope it pays off for you

Wow! 38 schools. I applied to 16 and stressed with doing that many lmao. Bless your heart! I hope it pays off for you

How do you feel about your decision to apply to 16? I’m applying next cycle and I’m having a hard time narrowing down my list of 18! I figure I’ll start with my top schools and see how many I can get through :shrug:

How do you feel about your decision to apply to 16? I’m applying next cycle and I’m having a hard time narrowing down my list of 18! I figure I’ll start with my top schools and see how many I can get through :shrug:

I started with a list of 18 and only ended up applying to 10, but that's because I kept procrastinating on writing my essays. When I was deciding which ones to get rid of, I chose two schools I'd love to go to but didn't really think I'd get in and kept them, then a few that I was in line with academically that I still thought I'd enjoy, and then I did two that I didn't love but thought I had the best chance of getting into.

I'm a big believer of the 6 method that's applied for graduate school applications for the average applicant. Apply to your top 2 that you may not get into. 2 you feel you have a decent shot of getting in to and 2 that are your bottom choices. With one of those schools being your IS/contract school if you have one

With that theory said, overall after applying to more than 8 schools (dependent on the schools chosen) is probably overkill in the fact that interviews will conflict as most schools interview Jan-Feb. The trick is to apply smarter and not spend thousands of dollars when in the end you can only attend one school. It's harsh, but in all honesty if your GPA is in the toilet make sure that school's cut off is below your GPA so you don't waste your money. CSU is a great example as they rarely take students with GPAs under 3.2. Couple that with the fact of if your OSS, save your money and apply somewhere with better odds. I could go on, but all programs have their pros and cons and in the end what matters is you pass the NAVLE and if you put in the effort with the tools schools give you no matter where you go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
I started with a list of 18 and only ended up applying to 10, but that's because I kept procrastinating on writing my essays. When I was deciding which ones to get rid of, I chose two schools I'd love to go to but didn't really think I'd get in and kept them, then a few that I was in line with academically that I still thought I'd enjoy, and then I did two that I didn't love but thought I had the best chance of getting into.

I'm a big believer of the 6 method that's applied for graduate school applications for the average applicant. Apply to your top 2 that you may not get into. 2 you feel you have a decent shot of getting in to and 2 that are your bottom choices. With one of those schools being your IS/contract school if you have one

With that theory said, overall after applying to more than 8 schools (dependent on the schools chosen) is probably overkill in the fact that interviews will conflict as most schools interview Jan-Feb. The trick is to apply smarter and not spend thousands of dollars when in the end you can only attend one school. It's harsh, but in all honesty if your GPA is in the toilet make sure that school's cut off is below your GPA so you don't waste your money. CSU is a great example as they rarely take student with GPAs under 3.2. Couple that with the fact of if your OSS, save your money and apply somewhere with better odds. I could go on and on, but all programs have their pros and cons and in the end what matters is you pass the NAVLE and if you put in the effort with the tools schools give you no matter where you go.

Thank you both for your input! I think I’m struggling because my cumulative GPA is sucky (above the 3.0 min for most schools though!) from my original degree (2010, engineering) but I have very strong science and last 45 GPAs. I’m also 30 years old and ready to move on with my life so the thought of multiple application cycles makes me cringe. I’ve got solid letter writers and experience in 4 areas of vet med, though no research. My IS is UGA and I don’t feel like I fit their “mold” so I’m also planning to apply to Michigan, Minnesota, Kansas, Iowa, etc.

My feelings are mixed about applying to so many. Firstly, it was expensive, about $2500 after supplemental applications, but I have savings so this wasn't a HUGE issue. The biggest issue I foresee is juggling interview invites and the $$ associated with them. I already got 2 and am feeling that stress already lol.
I applied to so many schools for a few reasons, my GPA is average, but not horrible (cGPA: 3.53 Science: 3.31 Last 45: 3.31). My goal is to get in my first time because I'm not the most patient person..
I also applied to so many because my fiance will ideally be moving with me and I want to have options so we can align his job transfer better.
Last minute, I threw on 4 international schools because, why not? It's not often I will get the opportunity to explore a new country.
Despite the extra expenses, I would probably do it again because I would rather have more options than not. That being said, I "narrowed" my list down based on class profiles as they compare to my stats as well as OOS acceptances. I applied strategically as to not completely waste my money.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm 30 and decided I did not want to apply multiple cycles and have the money so figured I would try as many as possible and hope for the best. I probably won't get many interviews so I won't have to worry about conflicting schedules. I could have applied smart and cut down the list some, but you never know what will get you in and what won't. If you got the money to spend, why not? It doesn't hurt anything to try.

That being said, I "narrowed" my list down based on class profiles as they compare to my stats as well as OOS acceptances. I applied strategically as to not completely waste my money.
If someone is going to apply to a lot of OOS schools, this is definitely what you want to do.

Make sure it’s schools that will weight your strengths higher, you have all the prereqs for (and have confirmed with them a class will count if you’re not sure), minimums, etc.

Applying to a bunch of schools won’t increase your chances if you haven’t made sure you at least stand a chance of getting in.

Reactions: 6 users
If someone is going to apply to a lot of OOS schools, this is definitely what you want to do.

Make sure it’s schools that will weight your strengths higher, you have all the prereqs for (and have confirmed with them a class will count if you’re not sure), minimums, etc.

Applying to a bunch of schools won’t increase your chances if you haven’t made sure you at least stand a chance of getting in.
Yes, exactly this. In most cases, I really do think that it's much wiser to apply selectively to a handful of schools where your particular set of stats lines up well with what they are looking for/what is weighed heavily within their system than it is to apply a lot of schools blindly and broadly, especially if your application is not super solid to begin with.

I only applied to 4 vet schools; I knew that I could not afford to apply to any more than that. I also had a very weak application academically and did a lot of research prior to applying to make sure that a) I had all of the pre-reqs done and/or in progress, b) my application meshed with what they seemed to be looking for and what they weighed heavily in admissions (ie. I looked primarily at schools that either did not consider cumulative GPA or at least focused more on science and last 45 hours GPAs), and c) the general IS:OOS class ratios and how likely it was that I would be admitted there. Even though I had a GPA of only 3.2 and I was a first-time applicant, guess what happened? I got into 3/4 of the schools. Could I have applied to, say, 10+ schools and had similar results? Maybe, but focusing on what my application's particular strengths were and handpicking schools individually based upon that saved me a lot of extra time, money, and hassle.

Keep in mind, too, that applying to so many schools means that you will almost inevitably have scheduling conflicts with interviews since most schools conduct interviews from November to January, so you will likely have to turn at least a couple of interviews down.

Most importantly, though, I'll reiterate Caiter's last point: applying to more vet schools does not necessarily increase your chances of acceptance, especially not if you have not taken the time to do the initial legwork to ensure that your application actually stands a chance of getting you into those schools (or is even eligible in some cases; I know a surprising amount of people who got rejected from schools for silly things like missing a pre-req).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 users
Yes, exactly this. In most cases, I really do think that it's much wiser to apply selectively to a handful of schools where your particular set of stats lines up well with what they are looking for/what is weighed heavily within their system than it is to apply a lot of schools blindly and broadly, especially if your application is not super solid to begin with.

I only applied to 4 vet schools; I knew that I could not afford to apply to any more than that. I also had a very weak application academically and did a lot of research prior to applying to make sure that a) I had all of the pre-reqs done and/or in progress, b) my application meshed with what they seemed to be looking for and what they weighed heavily in admissions (ie. I looked primarily at schools that either did not consider cumulative GPA or at least focused more on science and last 45 hours GPAs), and c) the general IS:OOS class ratios and how likely it was that I would be admitted there. Even though I had a GPA of only 3.2 and I was a first-time applicant, guess what happened? I got into 3/4 of the schools. Could I have applied to, say, 10+ schools and had similar results? Maybe, but focusing on what my application's particular strengths were and handpicking schools individually based upon that saved me a lot of extra time, money, and hassle.

Keep in mind, too, that applying to so many schools means that you will almost inevitably have scheduling conflicts with interviews since most schools conduct interviews from November to January, so you will likely have to turn at least a couple of interviews down.

Most importantly, though, I'll reiterate Caiter's last point: applying to more vet schools does not necessarily increase your chances of acceptance, especially not if you have not taken the time to do the initial legwork to ensure that your application actually stands a chance of getting you into those schools (or is even eligible in some cases; I know a surprising amount of people who got rejected from schools for silly things like missing a pre-req).
Which 4 schools did you apply to and which did you decide to ultimately attend?

Which 4 schools did you apply to and which did you decide to ultimately attend?
Iowa State, Mizzou, Midwestern, and Glasgow. I decided on Iowa State for cost reasons (I was considered IS at the time), but I'm not there anymore.

Iowa State, Mizzou, Midwestern, and Glasgow. I decided on Iowa State for cost reasons (I was considered IS at the time), but I'm not there anymore.
May I ask why? I also applied to Iowa State and would like a brutally honest review of the school if you felt the need to leave. Also, where are you now? It's okay if you don't feel comfortable answering!

Of course! That’s just stupid and throwing money away. I meet the requirements of the 18 on my list, which makes it that much more difficult.

My feelings are mixed about applying to so many. Firstly, it was expensive, about $2500 after supplemental applications, but I have savings so this wasn't a HUGE issue. The biggest issue I foresee is juggling interview invites and the $$ associated with them. I already got 2 and am feeling that stress already lol.
I applied to so many schools for a few reasons, my GPA is average, but not horrible (cGPA: 3.53 Science: 3.31 Last 45: 3.31). My goal is to get in my first time because I'm not the most patient person..
I also applied to so many because my fiance will ideally be moving with me and I want to have options so we can align his job transfer better.
Last minute, I threw on 4 international schools because, why not? It's not often I will get the opportunity to explore a new country.
Despite the extra expenses, I would probably do it again because I would rather have more options than not. That being said, I "narrowed" my list down based on class profiles as they compare to my stats as well as OOS acceptances. I applied strategically as to not completely waste my money.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you apply? My cGPA is also a 3.53 and I originally was going to apply to 9-10 schools but eventually made the choice to drop it to 6 because of the cost. I'm very much afraid of getting rejected from all the schools I applied to because of my GPA.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you apply? My cGPA is also a 3.53 and I originally was going to apply to 9-10 schools but eventually made the choice to drop it to 6 because of the cost. I'm very much afraid of getting rejected from all the schools I applied to because of my GPA.
A 3.53 is not a bad GPA by any means! As long as you are a well rounded applicant (DM for elaboration) then that GPA is still competitive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

I applied to Florida (my IS and where I’m graduating undergrad), Auburn, UGA, Virginia-Maryland, UPenn, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Colorado, Purdue, Midwestern, Washington, Glasgow, Royal Veterinary College, Sydney, and Edinburgh!
I had trouble finding class profiles on the international schools so I kind of blindly applied to those schools.
So far I got an interview invite to Glasgow and RVC. No rejections *yet*.

Edit: Colorado was a super stretch but I figured I would add a school that I would really love attending due to location.

A 3.53 is not a bad GPA by any means! As long as you are a well rounded applicant (DM for elaboration) then that GPA is still competitive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile
Agreed. That’s what I have going for me. 4000+ hours experience involved with SA, exotics, cows, horses, wildlife, research.

I know and people have gotten in with lower but it's still a weak part of my application. I'm also OOS everywhere which definitely adds to the anxiety! I'm definitely relying a lot on my experience and LORs.

I applied to Florida (my IS and where I’m graduating undergrad), Auburn, UGA, Virginia-Maryland, UPenn, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Colorado, Purdue, Midwestern, Washington, Glasgow, Royal Veterinary College, Sydney, and Edinburgh!
I had trouble finding class profiles on the international schools so I kind of blindly applied to those schools.
So far I got an interview invite to Glasgow and RVC. No rejections *yet*.

Edit: Colorado was a super stretch but I figured I would add a school that I would really love attending due to location.

I applied to a lot of those schools too. Good luck with your interviews! I'm patiently waiting until the end of next month when I will finally hear back from some of my schools.

I'm 30 and decided I did not want to apply multiple cycles and have the money so figured I would try as many as possible and hope for the best. I probably won't get many interviews so I won't have to worry about conflicting schedules. I could have applied smart and cut down the list some, but you never know what will get you in and what won't. If you got the money to spend, why not? It doesn't hurt anything to try.
The thing with just applying essentially everywhere because you’re worried about not getting in anywhere is that you need to look at each school and make sure you meet the minimum requirements for every school you applied to. Minimum requirements are not suggestions and are hard cut offs. Some have lower gpa minimums, some have much higher. And if you don’t meet them, then you’ve just wasted hundreds of dollars applying to schools where it’s not a “maybe they’ll accept me even though I have lower GPAs” and it’s a “you don’t meet the minimum we don’t look at you” type of thing. :/
Also prereqs. They’re required and if you don’t have them or don’t have enough already completed or don’t plans to take the last required ones by their deadline, you’re out then too.
That’s why people tell you to apply smartly. It saves you money by taking out the schools you aren’t eligible to apply to.

Reactions: 5 users
Apologizes for derailing this thread :whoa:But so much great information here!

Unpopular opinion but.... I think if you have the money, meet the minimum requirements, and have a low GPA you should apply to as many schools as you can - as long as you’d actually attend if you get an acceptance.

I was positive I wouldn’t get into CSU, and it was the only school I wasn’t strategic about. It was more or a “well I have to apply so I don’t have any regrets about not applying” and somehow I got in. And not only did I get in, I got a pretty generous recruitment scholarship. None of that would have happened if I would’ve been smarter about applying.

Sounds sappy but sometimes these tiny miracles happen.

Reactions: 18 users
Unpopular opinion but.... I think if you have the money, meet the minimum requirements, and have a low GPA you should apply to as many schools as you can - as long as you’d actually attend if you get an acceptance.

I was positive I wouldn’t get into CSU, and it was the only school I wasn’t strategic about. It was more or a “well I have to apply so I don’t have any regrets about not applying” and somehow I got in. And not only did I get in, I got a pretty generous recruitment scholarship. None of that would have happened if I would’ve been smarter about applying.

Sounds sappy but sometimes these tiny miracles happen.
Thanks! This is kind of what I was saying.

The thing with just applying essentially everywhere because you’re worried about not getting in anywhere is that you need to look at each school and make sure you meet the minimum requirements for every school you applied to. Minimum requirements are not suggestions and are hard cut offs. Some have lower gpa minimums, some have much higher. And if you don’t meet them, then you’ve just wasted hundreds of dollars applying to schools where it’s not a “maybe they’ll accept me even though I have lower GPAs” and it’s a “you don’t meet the minimum we don’t look at you” type of thing. :/
Also prereqs. They’re required and if you don’t have them or don’t have enough already completed or don’t plans to take the last required ones by their deadline, you’re out then too.
That’s why people tell you to apply smartly. It saves you money by taking out the schools you aren’t eligible to apply to.
Good thing I like to waste money. Jokes aside, your information is very helpful and will be great help if I need to apply again.

Sure. My Cum is 3.32 and my Science is 2.75. Last 45 GPa is 3.2. So not great hence why I applied to so many schools. I did have an interview with St. George's though so I got that going for me which is nice.

congrats on getting an interview for SGU. Sadly i was rejected :( but i got an interview for Ross.

congrats on getting an interview for SGU. Sadly i was rejected :( but i got an interview for Ross.
Were u rejected after an interview with SGU? I have yet to hear back after my interview and am nervous but congrats on getting an interview with ross! Would you mind sharing your stats?

Were u rejected after an interview with SGU? I have yet to hear back after my interview and am nervous but congrats on getting an interview with ross! Would you mind sharing your stats?

I got rejected from SGU without an interview sadly. I got an interview from Ross super quick... I had problems with my VMCAS app being verified. By the time Ross then received it and got all the requirements checked off on there end, I got an interview invite 2 days later. I felt it was super quick from receiving the app. I did apply for the May 2019 class.

My GPA is low. The cumm is 3.2 ish. I honestly don't pay attention to the other GPA because it is low :( I try not to think about it. I think my science is 2.8-3.0.

Congrats on the interview!! Hopefully everything will go great with Ross. I still haven't heard anything from them. SGU is suppose to give me the yay or nay this week....I'm terrified.

Congrats on the interview!! Hopefully everything will go great with Ross. I still haven't heard anything from them. SGU is suppose to give me the yay or nay this week....I'm terrified.

Good Luck!! I know many people who LOVED it there!!

I saw you applied to UPEI in Canada... I know interviews are 11/17. have you heard if you got one or not? I still haven't heard or got a rejection letter yet.