Official SHPEP 2017 Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how long did it take for your transcripts and LORs to ship/process etc.?
and does everything have to be there to meet the early deadline?

My LOR was sent through email and it took one day to process and appear in the dashboard.
The transcript I it was sent the first week of December and appeared 2 weeks ago

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.0 GPA at a 4yr university
URM
Had a lot of volunteering and shadowing hours, and wrote very strong essays (in my opinion)
1) UCLA 2) Columbia 3) Howard

Really hoping I am accepted into UCLA, but they did state that they only accept a limited amount of students from 4yr schools:corny:

Who else applied to UCLA ??

Where did you guys apply and what are your stats?

GPA: 3.7 Sophomore (this is the last semester that I qualify)
URM
Strong Personal Statement- edited like a mofo, OK diversity essay (imo, I had a hard time getting my point across)

Sites
1. Columbia
2. Howard
3. Rutgers

My transcripts have been received and are processing, but my LOR hasn't been received. I've been in constant contact with my mentor writing the LOR and she said she submitted it. She probably mailed it instead of sending an email, though. I didn't think to ask.

I'm so nervous :sick:

lol this thread reminds me of last year. I did smdep at columbia last summer so hmu with q's if you have any

My transcripts have been received and are processing, but my LOR hasn't been received. I've been in constant contact with my mentor writing the LOR and she said she submitted it. She probably mailed it instead of sending an email, though. I didn't think to ask.

I'm so nervous :sick:

Can they email it? Mine took a day after the email...

Members don't see this ad :)
Can they email it? Mine took a day after the email...

I sent her the LOR form + a note highlighting the fact that she could email it. She hasn't mentioned it since, lol.

I will check my app status again on Monday to see if it updates.

What were your stats? Because I really want to get into Columbia but I think its very competitive

What she said said.
lol this thread reminds me of last year. I did smdep at columbia last summer so hmu with q's if you have any
Any how was your schedule? What types of doctors did you shadow? Did you get any rec letters from them?

What were your stats? Because I really want to get into Columbia but I think its very competitive

At the time I had a 3.9 GPA
Done a lot of research (publication was in submission at the time)
Volunteered
Mentored inner city students
Im disadvantaged so I made sure my essays emulated that

Although, however, I feel like SMDEP doesnt necessarily look at what youve done, instead they focus on your intentions and how you articulate your passion to combat health care disparities, improve public health, etc.

At the time I had a 3.9 GPA
Done a lot of research (publication was in submission at the time)
Volunteered
Mentored inner city students
Im disadvantaged so I made sure my essays emulated that

Although, however, I feel like SMDEP doesnt necessarily look at what youve done, instead they focus on your intentions and how you articulate your passion to combat health care disparities, improve public health, etc.

What was a normal day at SMDEP?

What she said said.

Any how was your schedule? What types of doctors did you shadow? Did you get any rec letters from them?

In the mornings we took classes, (i took biochem and physics) and in the afternoon we had seminars where really cool people spoke (health care professionals, authors, admissions, etc.) Fridays we had our "clinicals" which were all day; you were randomly assigned a specialty (surgery, infectious disease, internal medicine, etc.). The New York Presbyterian Hospital is amaazing.

And YES COLUMBIA WRITES YOU A LOR FOR MED SCHOOL! Im actually applying to a couple research internships right now and Im using columbia as one of my recs :,)

Reactions: 1 user
In the mornings we took classes, (i took biochem and physics) and in the afternoon we had seminars where really cool people spoke (health care professionals, authors, admissions, etc.) Fridays we had our "clinicals" which were all day; you were randomly assigned a specialty (surgery, infectious disease, internal medicine, etc.). The New York Presbyterian Hospital is amaazing.

And YES COLUMBIA WRITES YOU A LOR FOR MED SCHOOL! Im actually applying to a couple research internships right now and Im using columbia as one of my recs :,)

What did your weekends look like?

How did the meals and travel assistance worked?

What types of things did you do/see during these clinicals and about how many people were there per specialty? Like were you in groups shadowing?

Transcripts verified.

LOR still nowhere in sight.

how long did it take for your transcripts and LORs to ship/process etc.?
and does everything have to be there to meet the early deadline?
My transcripts took about two weeks (it was during christmas break) and my LOR took 1 day to process. and yes everything has to be there to meet the early deadline. Its the only way your application is completed and the site will only review it when its completed

Same and I sent my advisor a reminder.

I'm going to send mine a reminder on Friday since I last mentioned it almost 2 weeks ago.
I have a professor writing mine and the semester has started so I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Is there any way to check status of LORs as well as transcripts if we haven't submitted yet? I turned in my transcript way early but I just haven't finished my essays yet..

Is there any way to check status of LORs as well as transcripts if we haven't submitted yet? I turned in my transcript way early but I just haven't finished my essays yet..

You can call them with your application ID and they can confirm everything.

You can call them with your application ID and they can confirm everything.

Gotcha, thanks. I got unexpectedly busy and didn't get to work on my essays until now =_= time to pray this doesn't hurt my chances since I believe they do rolling admissions

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Gotcha, thanks. I got unexpectedly busy and didn't get to work on my essays until now =_= time to pray this doesn't hurt my chances since I believe they do rolling admissions

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I am in the same situation. lol I'm guessing they do some kind of application ranking/scoring and take the top X amount of people, and wait list another X amount of people.... But we shall find out! I'm trying to not stress about it.

I'm going to send mine a reminder on Friday since I last mentioned it almost 2 weeks ago.
I have a professor writing mine and the semester has started so I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I understand. Mine is a pre-health advisor, so her plate is already full. However, I did ask her for the recommendation back in Mid-December and she said it'll be turned it last week. It wasn't. I just don't wanna be worrisome lol

I would recommend not submit stuff the day before because I think they won't even review it and will automatically deny you since they don't have much time to review. So it is much better to submit in the other deadline.

I would recommend not submit stuff the day before because I think they won't even review it and will automatically deny you since they don't have much time to review. So it is much better to submit in the other deadline.

Then what's the point of setting a deadline if they're just gonna "automatically" deny you any way

A friend of mine applied two years ago the day before the last deadline, and still got accepted to one of the universities

One more week until the deadline, three more weeks till they announce their decisions guys!!

I would think it's throughout the day.. dental schools do it that way but who knows? Innominate18 might know

Edit: totally answered my own question, sorry.

Reactions: 1 user
my transcript has been delivered bc i paid for fedex shipping but they havent put it up yet. its been there for like 3 days now. i wonder how long it will take them to upload it :/

Yeah email them, push your application forward. I waited over two weeks then emailed them, they replied saying they haven't received the transcript, then updated my transcript status to "received" the next day so.. push it lol

I called and they put it up, it says received and processing. I'm just waiting on my recommendation form from my advisor.

Cheers to you!
This whole thing has seriously taught me something about Letter writers lol.. I'm totally using interfolio when I'm actually applying to d-school. You guys might want to look into it if you're interested!