Official SHPEP 2017 Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if they actually contact the people that I list on the post-secondary experiences section? There's a few experiences that I'd definitely like to put (i.e. lab experience), but i'm not 100% sure how my PI would feel about me giving away her phone number and information...

Members don't see this ad.

[QUOTE="Symphonies, post: 18455387, member: 746893" i'm not 100% sure how my PI would feel about me giving away her phone number and information...[/QUOTE]

I doubt they actually contact them, but you could always send your PI an email explaining what you're applying for and ask if it's alright to add her contact info.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So I'm a sophomore and I transferred schools for the fall semester. I transferred all my credits from my previous school so do I only send the transcript from the school I'm at now? or the school I was at freshman year as well?

Also I need an opinion it says for sophomores we dont have to wait for our fall grades and i had a higher gpa last year at the school I was at the only downside is I only had taken 2 of my science courses for dental school. Would it look better to send my fall grades where I took another science class with not the best gpa or to send my freshman year transcript where i only took chem 1 and bio 1?

I would send in both transcripts that show all the science courses you've taken so far. The programs that are big on academic review will probably like that. And if you hadn't sent in your transcript yet, fall grades are out now so wouldn't it be weird if you didn't submit them? I submitted mine early December when grades weren't out, so in that case fall grades didn't matter, but they're out now so why not send those in.

Now this is assuming your GPA hasn't plummeted since your freshman year; then I might reconsider.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Regardless of GPA, you would have to send both transcripts. It states:

One official transcript from every U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian post-secondary institution attended sent directly by the institution’s registrar’s office.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, quick question. In the extracurricular area where it states to list the start and end date, what should I put for the end date if i'm still currently participating in some of those EC?

Regardless of GPA, you would have to send both transcripts. It states:

One official transcript from every U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian post-secondary institution attended sent directly by the institution’s registrar’s office.
So that means I have to go to my old school and get my transcript from them separately even though everything was transferred over?

Did you guys write a description for all your experiences and activities?

Did you guys write a description for all your experiences and activities?
also what if we don't have a phone number for a club we were in but only their email, what would you put in the phone number section?

also what if we don't have a phone number for a club we were in but only their email, what would you put in the phone number section?
I tried putting a description in all of them. And I just put zeros cause I didn't know them.

I'm so bummed guys... I have 80 quarter credits, but I'm still considered a sophomore until I earn more than 90 credits. 90 quarter credits are equivalent to 60 semester credits. I assumed they were equal, and that the 60 credit limit the program lists was referring to semester credits. I was wrong. I called Shpep and they said It's 60 credits no matter if it's quarter or semester. That's so stupid. How can you rank them equally?!?!? I'm super bummed. I emailed the director of my local site (who is on a quarter system) to verify.

UPDATE application status--now "under review" at the 3 sites selected on application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so bummed guys... I have 80 quarter credits, but I'm still considered a sophomore until I earn more than 90 credits. 90 quarter credits are equivalent to 60 semester credits. I assumed they were equal, and that the 60 credit limit the program lists was referring to semester credits. I was wrong. I called Shpep and they said It's 60 credits no matter if it's quarter or semester. That's so stupid. How can you rank them equally?!?!? I'm super bummed. I emailed the director of my local site (who is on a quarter system) to verify.

I'm back in this!! My local site director emailed me back and encouraged me to still apply as the individual site considers class standing not credits. I'm so excited! I still have a chance!

Anyone have a photo of what it looks like when you're being reviewed?

image.jpg Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOTE]
Anyone have a photo of what it looks like when you're being reviewed?

Hi everybody! I'm a socioeconomically disadvantaged applicant applying for SHPEP 2017. I'm not one of their recognized underrepresented groups, but I am a minority.

I applied to:
Columbia University, the University of Iowa, and the University of Washington.
- My dream site is Columbia University and my realistic site is Iowa. UWashington is another school that I'm interested in.

I attend a state university and my GPA is 3.7. I wrote my essays on the health disparities I've witnessed within my community. My transcripts and LORs were submitted during the second week of December and I submitted my application on December 12th. My application was received and verified (complete) on January 6th and is currently in review. Fingers crossed!

How did you all narrow down which sites to apply to? I know that I had a hard time choosing which I wanted to attend! I ended up choosing a school that I a) wanted to get into b) would like to be accepted into and c) would have the best chance of getting into.

Hi everybody! I'm a applying for SHPEP 2017. I'm not one of their recognized underrepresented groups, but I am a minority.

I applied to:
- My dream site is Columbia University and my realistic site is Iowa. UWashington is another school that I'm interested in.

I attend a state university and my GPA is 3.7. I wrote my essays on the health disparities I've witnessed within my community. My transcripts and LORs were submitted during the second week of December and I submitted my application on December 12th. My application was received and verified (complete) on January 6th and is currently in review. Fingers crossed!

How did you all narrow down which sites to apply to? I know that I had a hard time choosing which I wanted to attend! I ended up choosing a school that I a) wanted to get into b) would like to be accepted into and c) would have the best chance of getting into.
I applied to Houston, Columbia and Washington. I am underrepresented and socioeconomically disadvantaged applicant. I basically did chose them the same way

Hi everybody! I'm a socioeconomically disadvantaged applicant applying for SHPEP 2017. I'm not one of their recognized underrepresented groups, but I am a minority.

I applied to:

My application is also in review.
I attend a state university as well where I have a 4.0 in my major of General Biology. I work as a licensed pharmacy technician on the weekends so do not have as many volunteer and extra curricular activities as they likely prefer (which concerns me regarding my acceptance into the program).
pre-Pharmacy locations are limited to Univ of Louisville, Univ of FLA and Univ of IA...so my 3 choices were basically made for me.
I live in KY so I hope I get the opportunity to attend U of L because according to University of Louisville's SHPEP webpage, Sullivan College of Pharmacy is assisting U of L with this program and I can see whether I want to apply to it after I get my B.S. degree.
Good luck to you! I hope you are selected for Columbia Univ.

I wouldn't worry too much about the quantity of volunteering experiences or extra curricular activities you have. I went to an informational seminar hosted by one member of SHPEP's advisory board and learned that it was better to have a few meaningful experiences, rather than list many activities you did but weren't invested in. Being able to say you do pharmacy work every weekend is a strong reason that shows you have passion for and commitment to pharmacy. Good luck to you as well! I hope everything works out :)

What did everyone do in terms of editing essays? Did you have someone look them over or did you just edit and submit them yourself?

What did everyone do in terms of editing essays? Did you have someone look them over or did you just edit and submit them yourself?

That's what's holding me up at the moment. I'm waiting for a friend to review my essays.

I wouldn't worry too much about the quantity of volunteering experiences or extra curricular activities you have. I went to an informational seminar hosted by one member of SHPEP's advisory board and learned that it was better to have a few meaningful experiences, rather than list many activities you did but weren't invested in. Being able to say you do pharmacy work every weekend is a strong reason that shows you have passion for and commitment to pharmacy. Good luck to you as well! I hope everything works out :)

Could you tell us more about the seminar? Anything else important that's can help?

Could you tell us more about the seminar? Anything else important that's can help?

Basically, SHPEP is meant for students who need a boost. Historically, it was created for groups who didn't have access to these types of opportunities. For example, an applicant doesn't necessarily need to have stellar grades to get into the program. If an applicant can demonstrate their commitment to learning and healthcare, in addition to demonstrating disadvantages due to socioeconomic status, race, etc., they become a strong applicant. Many of the people who finish SHPEP say that the program really cemented their desire to become a doctor, pharmacist, etc. They didn't necessarily enter the program being perfect, "all-star" candidates.

If you have yet to write your essays, your PERSONAL STATEMENT should include:
- what makes you unique
- what you can bring to the program
- what hardships you have gone through that affect your perspective
- why you want to become a doctor, pharmacist, etc.
- But above all, tell YOUR story. The only thing completely individual to you is your perspective. There will always be other applicants with the same grades, extra curriculars, etc., but YOU are the only one with YOUR perspective.

Also, from my understanding, the personal statement carries the most weight in the application. So try and have it reviewed by others as well, but don't change it too much. In my experience writing it, sometimes other people's view of how you should portray yourself can mask what you're truly trying to get across, so take all criticisms with a grain of salt. In the end, it's your PERSONAL statement, and you know yourself best!

The second most important part of your application would be your LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION.
- make sure you include somebody that can write you a strong testament of who you really are
- it may be better to choose NOT to include a LOR from a professor you don't know very well, as these types of LORs are easy to spot if they are impersonal
- you can use a high school teacher if they taught you a science course

Hope this helped some people who are still working on their applications! Good luck to everyone! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Basically, SHPEP is meant for students who need a boost. Historically, it was created for groups who didn't have access to these types of opportunities. For example, an applicant doesn't necessarily need to have stellar grades to get into the program. If an applicant can demonstrate their commitment to learning and healthcare, in addition to demonstrating disadvantages due to socioeconomic status, race, etc., they become a strong applicant. Many of the people who finish SHPEP say that the program really cemented their desire to become a doctor, pharmacist, etc. They didn't necessarily enter the program being perfect, "all-star" candidates.

If you have yet to write your essays, your PERSONAL STATEMENT should include:
- what makes you unique
- what you can bring to the program
- what hardships you have gone through that affect your perspective
- why you want to become a doctor, pharmacist, etc.
- But above all, tell YOUR story. The only thing completely individual to you is your perspective. There will always be other applicants with the same grades, extra curriculars, etc., but YOU are the only one with YOUR perspective.

Also, from my understanding, the personal statement carries the most weight in the application. So try and have it reviewed by others as well, but don't change it too much. In my experience writing it, sometimes other people's view of how you should portray yourself can mask what you're truly trying to get across, so take all criticisms with a grain of salt. In the end, it's your PERSONAL statement, and you know yourself best!

The second most important part of your application would be your LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION.
- make sure you include somebody that can write you a strong testament of who you really are
- it may be better to choose NOT to include a LOR from a professor you don't know very well, as these types of LORs are easy to spot if they are impersonal
- you can use a high school teacher if they taught you a science course

Hope this helped some people who are still working on their applications! Good luck to everyone! :)

Thank you so much for your insight! This is a huge help and boost of encouragement.

So, I just read an article from the Columbia site that SHPEP shared in FB and they said that they usually get around 1400 applications.

Lol I guess I'm not going to be accepted

So, I just read an article from the Columbia site that SHPEP shared in FB and they said that they usually get around 1400 applications.

Lol I guess I'm not going to be accepted

lol holy s***. I want to be on that admission team. It looks like there's roughly 70 people from last years program so like, .5% of the applicants get accepted; that's too funny

lol holy s***. I want to be on that admission team. It looks like there's roughly 70 people from last years program so like, .5% of the applicants get accepted; that's too funny

They take 80 applicants. :(

They also said this. “We’re looking for students who need assistance, who need encouragement, who need the resources,” she adds.

Hopefully my essays were good enough. So the only thing helping me rn is that im economically disadvantaged and underrepresented.

Woooow, I think I totally missed the mark with them then.. this is unfortunate.

Woooow, I think I totally missed the mark with them then.. this is unfortunate.

It contained a lot of info. I know they also reject applicants that are in the right path or to put it in other words overqualified.

In my opinion all site should put what they are looking for in applicants so we know where to apply.

Hey! Is anyone applying to SHPEP, or has anyone already applied? Which program sites are you applying to / have already applied to? What have you heard about certain program sites? This forum is to help and encourage SHPEP applicants share stats, acceptances / denials, application tips, experience tips, etc.! I hope you guys post in here and spread the word!!
I applied to Columbia, Howard and rutgers. I am really worried that I will not be accepted because my LOR is not that unique and powerfull. I choose the director of my department and Im worried that I made the wrong choice. It was either her or my highschool teacher.

Are you URM or Economically disadvantaged? If so, you're fine.

Hi. in my dashboard it appeared today that the universities are reviewing my application, do you guys think its too late? I'm worried that my gpa will affect their decision:( Thoughts, opinions?

Hi. in my dashboard it appeared today that the universities are reviewing my application, do you guys think its too late? I'm worried that my gpa will affect their decision:( Thoughts, opinions?
What are your stats?

My application isn't even complete yet, I'm still waiting on a transcript... I still have faith!

It should be "in review" like this photo I believe...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOTE]
mine says " in review" but what is the difference between that and "under review"

mine says " in review" but what is the difference between that and "under review"[/QUOTE said:
I dont think there is a difference. Calm down you worry too much lol

Seriously tho everyone asking the small questions is making me nervous I'm just excited for February 15th!!

Finally have my transcripts/LOR verified and received!! Now in review as well :claps: hoping for the best but I know it's a long shot because I'm not URM

how long did it take for your transcripts and LORs to ship/process etc.?
and does everything have to be there to meet the early deadline?