This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stoppingtheworld

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
APPLICATION OPENS: November 1st, 2021!

Dear Future SHPEP Applicant,

My name is Austin Rios. This year I am entering my third season as an Ambassador for the Summer Health Professions Education Program. As a senior-experienced ambassador, I have helped a large number of applicants prepare successful applications to SHPEP. Since I am potentially entering my final year as an ambassador, it's my ultimate goal to spread the word of the program and help recruit as many applicants as possible. I participated in the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston program site in 2018.

The Summer Health Professions Education Program is a free summer enrichment program focused on improving access to information and resources for college students interested in the health professions. Program sites span the country and are committed to helping prepare students for successful careers in the health professions. The program is well established, having over 30,000 graduated scholars since 1989. This doesn't count how well known it is among professional school admissions offices.

I encourage you read or watch my story if you are curious to learn how profound the program was for me.

Please use this thread to discuss among applicants and ask for help when needed. Former SHPEP alumnus are welcome as well!

If you find my advice helpful, please let SHPEP/AAMC know! Each SHPEP applicant I recruit should list my full name (Austin Rios) for the referral question (How did you learn about the program?) located in the Personal Information section of the application. :)

Lastly, I may not always be online to answer your questions. Please never hesitate to reach out to me directly at [email protected]. If applicants express interest, I will gladly host a webinar and provide a live Q/A session with tips to help your application reach it's full potential.

Members don't see this ad.

My name is Austin Rios. This year I am entering my third season as an Ambassador for the Summer Health Professions Education Program. As a senior-experienced ambassador, I have helped a large number of applicants prepare successful applications to SHPEP. Since I am potentially entering my final year as an ambassador, it's my ultimate goal to spread the word of the program and help recruit as many applicants as possible. I participated in the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston program site in 2018.

The Summer Health Professions Education Program is a free summer enrichment program focused on improving access to information and resources for college students interested in the health professions. Program sites span the country and are committed to helping prepare students for successful careers in the health professions. The program is well established, having over 30,000 graduated scholars since 1989. This doesn't count how well known it is among professional school admissions offices.

I encourage you read or watch my story if you are curious to learn how profound the program was for me.

Please use this thread to discuss among applicants and ask for help when needed. Former SHPEP alumnus are welcome as well!

If you find my advice helpful, please let SHPEP/AAMC know! Each SHPEP applicant I recruit should list my full name (Austin Rios) for the referral question (How did you learn about the program?) located in the Personal Information section of the application. :)

Lastly, I may not always be online to answer your questions. Please never hesitate to reach out to me directly at [email protected]. If applicants express interest, I will gladly host a webinar and provide a live Q/A session with tips to help your application reach it's full potential.
Is it all virtual this year?

Is it all virtual this year?
We have not received information yet regarding the modality of the program for next summer. We hope that in-person activities will resume, but we need to wait and consider COVID-19 safety as we get closer to the program dates. Definitely check back in periodically for an update. I will say that we have already held successful virtual programs for two summers.

- Austin Rios, SHPEP Ambassador

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Mark your calendars! November 9th, 2021 @6pm Eastern

Steps to Success with the SHPEP Application
Join Antonio Mancuso and Stephanie Vink from the Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) National Program Office for a 60-minute webinar focused on the free educational opportunities SHPEP offers and tips for completing an application. Attendees will also gain insight into the SHPEP experience from Austin Rios, who serves as an SHPEP Ambassador.

Registration is open NOW and we are looking forward to helping you prepare your best application to our program!

UPDATE: SHPEP will be an in-person experience in 2022. COVID protocols are subject to the rules and regulations of each respective program site and their institution. A mask mandate will be enforced.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Application Now Open!

Applicants, the application to the Summer Health Professions Education Program has officially opened! Please feel free to reach out to me if you are interested in personalized advice in preparing your best application. Otherwise, I hope you will join myself, Antonio Mancuso and Stephanie Vink from the Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) National Program Office for a 60-minute webinar focused on the free educational opportunities SHPEP offers and tips for completing an application on NOVEMBER 9TH! Attendees will also gain insight into the SHPEP experience.

Registration is open NOW and we are looking forward to helping you prepare your best application to our program!

Dear Future SHPEP applicant,

My name is Josh Grewal and this is my first year as an Ambassador for SHPEP! I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about the application process and my experience along with Austin! Keep in mind my experience was virtual so there are some aspects of the program I won't be able to answer, but I would still be more than willing to attempt to answer/redirect you to someone who could provide a better answer. My experience this past summer was amazing and I would love to talk about it with anyone who is curious.

I will be checking this thread pretty regularly, but if you would like a faster response, feel free to email me at [email protected]! If you find anything I say helpful please list my name in the referral question of the application(how did you learn about the program), I would really appreciate it.

How important is the relationship between the essay and objective of the program sites? If I feel as though my essay does not fit the objective of the site should I choose to apply somewhere else or still give it a shot?

How important is the relationship between the essay and objective of the program sites? If I feel as though my essay does not fit the objective of the site should I choose to apply somewhere else or still give it a shot?
Hi there! Great question. Your personal statement and the objective of a specific program site might not always 100% align, and that’s okay. One of the greatest things about a personal statement is that it’s about you and it’s you who the committees what to understand more about. I would say that if you have put together a good personal statement, then you should feel confident applying to whichever sites you’d like. That being said, if you read up on the program sites and find that another calls out to you more, then maybe you might want to apply there. I don’t think choosing a program site is about maximizing your likelihood of being admitted there, it’s about you getting something from your experience there.

I hope this helps! - Austin Rios, SHPEP Ambassador

Hello!! I’m planning on applying to SHPEP 2022, and this is my second year in undergrad, but I currently have 61 college units and it would be around 76 once grades process for the fall quarter. Should I still apply to the program?

Hello!! I’m planning on applying to SHPEP 2022, and this is my second year in undergrad, but I currently have 61 college units and it would be around 76 once grades process for the fall quarter. Should I still apply to the program?
Hi there -

Applicants cannot have more than 60 credits; AP Credits are not counted but dual enrollment (i.e., taking college/university courses while in high school) are. So if you earned the majority of their credits through AP courses, then you are eligible, but if you did the majority of their courses at a college/university, you are not eligible.

Hello !! I am planning on applying to SHPEP 2022 and I have a question regarding transcripts. I have already sent my official transcripts for Fall 2021. With that being said, if I were to be accepted into the program, would I also have to send an official transcript for Spring 2022 ??

Hello !! I am planning on applying to SHPEP 2022 and I have a question regarding transcripts. I have already sent my official transcripts for Fall 2021. With that being said, if I were to be accepted into the program, would I also have to send an official transcript for Spring 2022 ??
Hi there! A second transcript for the spring 2022 semester will not be needed for the purpose of your application! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Austin I was wondering if you could look over my personal statement and give me feedback
Hi there! A second transcript for the spring 2022 semester will not be needed for the purpose of your application! :)

Hey Austin I was wondering if you could look over my personal statement and give me feedback
Hey there - I’d be happy to. Please make sure the personal statement fits the requirements (length, as closely as possible) and send it to me via email. [email protected].

Currently traveling so turnaround time will be delayed for a few days.

hi, i’m interested in applying for the predental cohort! i was wondering approx how many hours of free time you get per day during the program. the reason i ask is because i’m also considering getting my two phys courses over with this summer. i’ve limited the sites i’m applying for (texas, louisville, iowa) to only those that fit best with my college’s summer course timeline. however, even with these sites, i’ll still have a one week overlap during the last week of shpep. the phys course i’ll be taking is self-paced and asynchronous, so i don’t need to login at a certain time. i’m fine with being a little sleep deprived during that last week to get my work done, but still i wanted to get some opinions from ambassadors. do you think it’ll be manageable? i definitely don’t wanna screw up my grade, but if it seems doable then i’d be really really glad to get phys over with this summer

anyway, all of this is for if i even get in that is haha. good luck to all the applicants this year!! :D

Hi Austin. Hope you are doing well. It's great to talk to you again after meeting you at Steps to Success Webinar. Your advice were helpful in completing the application. I have a question about my letter of recommendation. I have submitted my SHPEP application in December, and my school sent the official transcript has been received and verified. However, Biology instructor, who is my recommender, has not send the letter of recommendation yet(which I totally understand). I believe he has been busy this past week, and I will remind him about the deadline again. However, I believe I read that SHPEP won't read my application until they receive the letter of recommendation. I submitted the application a month ago, but if my letter of recommendation get send this week, am I applying late? I heard about the importance of sending applications early, so I do not know if I will be considered as a late applicant. I would appreciate if you can help. Thank you in advance.

hi, i’m interested in applying for the predental cohort! i was wondering approx how many hours of free time you get per day during the program. the reason i ask is because i’m also considering getting my two phys courses over with this summer. i’ve limited the sites i’m applying for (texas, louisville, iowa) to only those that fit best with my college’s summer course timeline. however, even with these sites, i’ll still have a one week overlap during the last week of shpep. the phys course i’ll be taking is self-paced and asynchronous, so i don’t need to login at a certain time. i’m fine with being a little sleep deprived during that last week to get my work done, but still i wanted to get some opinions from ambassadors. do you think it’ll be manageable? i definitely don’t wanna screw up my grade, but if it seems doable then i’d be really really glad to get phys over with this summer

anyway, all of this is for if i even get in that is haha. good luck to all the applicants this year!! :D
Hi. Hope you are doing well. I am currently a SHPEP applicant as well, so this is a question I researched about. I heard that most sites will have 6 hours of lecture/rotation, which is 30 hrs a week and 180 hours total. That is what I heard from one SHPEP alumni, but that is what I all know for now. Also, I am not sure if SHPEP will allow students to take summer classes as they have there will be evening and weekend events which participants will be required to attend. Definitely look forward to Austin's response or even do more research in different websites(or you can ask SHPEP itself. Wish you the best, and good luck.

Hi there! Someone responded and said that about 30 hours is the commitment each scholar has while in the program to lectures and programming. I think this was fairly accurate for my experience as well. I see you also mentioned that it will only be for one week where there is conflict - so because of that, I think what you’re trying to accomplish can be done!

That’s the wonder of working remotely and the luxury of asynchronous instruction!

Hi Austin. Hope you are doing well. It's great to talk to you again after meeting you at Steps to Success Webinar. Your advice were helpful in completing the application. I have a question about my letter of recommendation. I have submitted my SHPEP application in December, and my school sent the official transcript has been received and verified. However, Biology instructor, who is my recommender, has not send the letter of recommendation yet(which I totally understand). I believe he has been busy this past week, and I will remind him about the deadline again. However, I believe I read that SHPEP won't read my application until they receive the letter of recommendation. I submitted the application a month ago, but if my letter of recommendation get send this week, am I applying late? I heard about the importance of sending applications early, so I do not know if I will be considered as a late applicant. I would appreciate if you can help. Thank you in advance.
Hi there!

Thanks for your question! As long as your application is completed by the required deadline, your materials will be read and considered with full merits. I would not worry about a LOR being submitted this week.

Great work on completing your application!

Hi there!

Thanks for your question! As long as your application is completed by the required deadline, your materials will be read and considered with full merits. I would not worry about a LOR being submitted this week.

Great work on completing your application!

Thank you for responding Austin. I have the answer to my question now.
Best
Armin

How many students does SHPEP accept? Is it 80 for all pre-health professions combined or 80 each?

Hi Austin! I just submitted my application and saw that my recommendation has been "not yet received" even though my recommender submitted it to the designated email back in the middle of January. Should I be worried or does it usually take a while to process?

Hi Austin! I just submitted my application and saw that my recommendation has been "not yet received" even though my recommender submitted it to the designated email back in the middle of January. Should I be worried or does it usually take a while to process?
Hi there! There usually is a back log of documents being uploaded into the system around this time. You’re welcome to reach out to the national program office to be sure. As long as you’re certain the application was postmarked before the deadline, I would not worry.

Good luck!

Hi there! There usually is a back log of documents being uploaded into the system around this time. You’re welcome to reach out to the national program office to be sure. As long as you’re certain the application was postmarked before the deadline, I would not worry.

Good luck!
Thanks Austin! I just wanted to clarify, you're saying it's alright for the recommendation letters to be processed late as long as my application is submitted on time?

Hi! I submitted my application last Thursday and also my recommendation letter status showed not received. I called 1-866-587-6337 and the agent verified that they received the reference, but they are late in uploading it. Call the number and they can verify .

Thanks Austin! I just wanted to clarify, you're saying it's alright for the recommendation letters to be processed late as long as my application is submitted on time?
Hi. I was in the same situation. My recommender submitted the letter mid January, but on Feb 2 it got updated to received and verified. Just email them to be sure that they received the letter, and then they all update it in the next few days. Wish you best of luck

I concur with the others on this forum who stepped in to respond in my absence. But yes, that'll be okay.

Are the decisions released at midnight or later on in the day?

Are the decisions released at midnight or later on in the day?
This is a very good question. I read a SHPEP Thread from 2020, and they said the results will come in midnight eastern time. So 12 am Eastern Time(March 15), and 9 pm pacific time(March 14). Wish you best of luck

Just a few more hours until decisions are released, Best of luck to everyone!

Anyone else super nervous about decisions being released?

Anyone else super nervous about decisions being released?
To be honest, I just want to know if I got in or not. I like all three sites that I applied to, so I will be happy to get into either one.

Extremely nervous, just keep hope! Regardless of the outcome we will all still be successful pre-health students
Definitely. Our responsibility was to do the application, express our interest, and study while doing all this. The rest is up to the admissions. If you are an appealing student and work hard this year, then regardless of the outcome you will be successful. Hope things work out

To be honest, I just want to know if I got in or not. I like all three sites that I applied to, so I will be happy to get into either one.
Same, whatever the outcome, I really am hoping to get at least into one site also! No matter the location the program, it will still be educational! Good luck to everyone!

Accepted & confirmed: western U for medical!!
waitlisted: Nebraska
denied: UCLA

Accepted and confirmed: Columbia for dental!
Waitlisted: University of Washington
denied: UCLA

Congrats to everyone!!

what are the chances of getting off the waitlist? i got into my second choice but waitlisted at my first :(

Last edited:
what are the chances of getting off the waitlist? i got into my second choice but waitlisted at my second :((
I think it depends on the school, maybe call and ask what their typical waitlist acceptance is, or look at past forums to see if other students got off the waitlist for that school, or keep an eye out on this discussion post to see if people got accepted to that site but chose another, which would mean more opportunity for those on the waitlist. After all that maybe consider accepting your second choice because it would atleast confirm that you get to attend a site which is better than none!