***Official SIU Interview/Acceptance thread c/o 2019***

Discussion in 'School Specific Discussions' started by dp93, 09.29.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. dp93

dp93 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    So i didn't see one yet for SIU and decided to make one. I just got an interview offer here and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the type of interview questions that they asked? Also, what is the writing exercise that they make us do?

side note, has anyone heard back from UIC?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gnleff

gnleff D1

Dental Student
    Most of the questions that they ask are about you so they can get to know you better.

They did have one or two questions that will try to make you think that wasn't about yourself. They won't ask anything about world news or stuff like that. The 'tricky' question(s) are meant to see your opinion or outlook.

The written portion had two questions. You only had to answer one. I don't remember specifically what the questions were but I can say that they generally ask how you would handle a certain situation.

Basically you don't have to read a newspaper to prepare for the interview.

dp93 and DMD14 like this.
  4. dp93

dp93 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ok thank you, quick question though..and feel free to not respond but...could you say what some of the questions were specifically if you remember? The more difficult ones that is.

5. dp93

dp93 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    also, who is it that interviews us?

6. gnleff

gnleff D1

Dental Student
    There are multiple interviewers, however you only get two interviewers at the same time.
    I can tell you that some of their questions where standard questions. Some were directed towards your application, why you are a better pick over other applicants, why this school over other instate schools, why did you choose dentistry. There will be like 1 or 2 questions they switch up every year but those are the only two that will make you think.

A tip: for the tough questions, there is no right or wrong answer (that would be unfair). I remember when they asked me a tough question I failed to answer it correctly the first time because i had no idea what they were asking. Midway through my answer they stopped me because i was going off track. So I politely asked them to repeat the question, and for the second time i gave them a better answer.

Surprisingly, you don't have to have a perfect interview. The interview is meant to give you a hard time (they know that), and if you show that you can keep a cool head under pressure then you're good. They want to see that under any circumstance you wont give up. Remember, at any point during the interview, its perfectly fine for them to repeat the question. I would recommend it too, because it shows them that you are trying to give them the correct answer.

Hope that helps at all

7. ckabu14

ckabu14

Pre-Dental
    What's everyone's status say on AADSAS? I was reading that last year people who had a status change to "check back December 2" were typically the ones accepted in the first round for SIU. Anyone know if this is true?

8. cleanteeth101

cleanteeth101

What is your status currently?

9. ckabu14

ckabu14

Pre-Dental
    Well I interviewed a few weeks ago and my status says application complete and it changed from invited to interview

10. ckabu14

ckabu14

Pre-Dental
    Well I interviewed a few weeks ago and my status says application complete and it changed from invited to interview

11. arlmay

arlmay 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    For last year it changed to check back dec 2nd for most people like a week before acceptances went out.

EvilleStudent likes this.
  12. jerrymorales1999

jerrymorales1999 2+ Year Member

I interviewed Monday Nov 17th and my application changed yesterday from invited for interview to application complete. Has anyone experienced the same thing?

13. HookahLungs

HookahLungs 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yup mine is at application complete. I wonder what this means

14. ddndfbbx

ddndfbbx

Pre-Dental
    Mine status changed to "cheek back dec1" about 2 days ago

15. ckabu14

ckabu14

Pre-Dental
    Mine also changed to check back dec 1 a few days ago. Hopefully this is a positive thing? Keeping my fingers crossed.

16. arlmay

arlmay 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Like I said previously, check back dec 1st has seemed to be a foreshadowing in the past few years for an acceptance on the 1st. Don't go out and brag yet but you should sleep sound till then

17. arlmay

arlmay 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Don't be discouraged if you don't get the message because I don't think not getting the message means your not accepted

18. dp93

dp93 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i also just got the check back on Dec 1st. Well i don't wanna jump the gun yet because this could still mean a rejection but i guess if history repeats itself than this is good news.

19. Kaleesi

Kaleesi

No status change :(
    I thought my interview went well too...

20. gsevers

gsevers

Hey guys. I have read that some of you have had status changes to check back dec 1st and dec 2nd. Mine says check back dec 2nd. I was wondering if you think there is a difference between the two dates, or if any status change is just good in general. Thanks!

21. EvilleStudent

EvilleStudent

Im sure either date change is a good thing!

gsevers likes this.
  22. dp93

dp93 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    wow i never thought of this. Maybe one day means acceptance and the other means waitlist? i can't imagine having two dates for the same result unless they are giving personal phone calls and need to split it up.

23. dp93

dp93 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    actually scratch that! when i check on my phone on their mobile site, it says ddecember 2nd but when i check on my laptop it says december 1st!??!?!

24. gsevers

gsevers

Wow that's good to know! I have never checked my laptop I have just checked on my phone so that makes total sense. Thanks for your help and clarification!

25. dp93

dp93 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    np, but do you think you could check on your laptop to make sure it also says Dec 1st so i know its not just me? lol

26. gsevers

gsevers

I just checked and it is the same case you have. I have two schools that say December 2 on my phone but when I look at the computer they both say December 1.

27. dp93

dp93 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    good news for both of us then. Assume this is good news at all.

28. anarsil53117

anarsil53117

Pre-Dental
    AADSAS status changed to Offer Made!

29. dp93

dp93 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Same! Accepted and its def the cheapest and closest school to me. Feels awesome

30. gsevers

gsevers

Same here!. Congrats guys!

31. Jordan1671

Jordan1671 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yah! Just got an offer as well! Definitely a sigh of relief.

32. DMD14

DMD14

Pre-Dental
    Congrats! Via email?

33. ckabu14

ckabu14

Pre-Dental
    I'm accepted too! Congrats everyone and good luck to anyone still waiting to hear from them!

34. arlmay

arlmay 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    For those of you planning on attending, if any questions come up along the way about the school feel free to ask here or message me. Congrats on your hard work being rewarded!

dp93 likes this.
  35. dp93

dp93 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    how would you rate the general stress level of the students at SIU? Also, i remember the person who gave me the walking tour briefly mention how the curriculum is set up but for the life of me i can't remember. Is it 1 class at a time (block system) or multiple?

36. arlmay

arlmay 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would say there's a range of different attitudes, some people put it a lot more effort than others and generate more stress than others that are more laid back. But overall id say the students are less stressed compared to people at some other schools. First semester is a bunch of systems classes occurring 1 at a time for each body system with a few other classes running in the background at the same time. Its really not too terrible for most people though.

37. dp93

dp93 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    so its not like a "cut throat" mentality? People usually help eachother out?

38. arlmay

arlmay 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Undoubtedly. There is shared material on on Facebook for literally every test. Everyone goes into an exam with pretty much the same advantage. Not many people are deadest on specializing for the most part anyways though. Being such a small class of 50 I think it's the norm for the classes to be pretty tight knit, but you can't really assume what the next class will be like. It all depends on the people in it, I have confidence in the admissions committee though haha

gsevers likes this.
  39. anarsil53117

anarsil53117

Pre-Dental
    dp93 likes this.
  40. weimy

weimy 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi everyone, congratulations on your acceptance (or stay positive if you're still waiting...). I am currently a D1 at Iowa (didn't get accepted to SIU) but have a sister who graduated from SIU in 2012 and did their 2 year AEGD after that.

My parents bought a house for her to live in and are now trying to sell it. It is safe, across from the fire station, and is less than a 2 minute walk to campus. It is set up for 2 tenants so the bottom or top half can be income producing. It is listed with Remax and can be found here: http://www.remax.com/m/search.html#details/224410372/photos/0?redirect=n

If anyone has any questions about SIU or dental school in general, shoot me a PM. Good luck with your housing search and enjoy yourself until classes begin.

dp93 and gsevers like this.
  41. jjcrew

jjcrew

My aadsa portal went from "invited to interview" ...to>>"Received/Application Complete"

and havent heard from them since.

42. dp93

dp93 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    sorry i keep asking so many questions lol, still trying to make a final decision. What is SIU's grading system? Couldn't find any info on the website.

43. Ostertag

Ostertag 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Letter grades, 4.0 GPA type system. 90-100 A, 80-90 B, 70-80 C.

44. anarsil53117

anarsil53117

Pre-Dental
    I forfeited my seat today. One extra seat is available. Good luck to everyone!

45. jerrymorales1999

jerrymorales1999 2+ Year Member

Accepted via email today will most likely forfeit my seat to attend UIC; best of luck for those waiting

46. toothless1

toothless1 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Got accepted here on Wednesday, so thanks to everyone who gave up a seat.

JayD likes this.
  47. JayD

JayD

Dental Student
    Anyone else looking to give up their seat??? *fingers crossed!* I've been accepted to UIC, but SIU is my first choice.

48. arlmay

arlmay 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Wouldn't give up hope yet. There are always acceptances late spring and even into the summer. There's a girl in our class that got a call first day of orientation in the fall.

JayD likes this.
  49. JayD

JayD

Dental Student
    I spoke with Angela today and she told me that the class isn't full...they are still waiting on the students to mail back their acceptance/declination forms and deadline is April 20th. I should hear something then, so I'm keeping hope alive!

50. arlmay

arlmay 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Just out of personal curiosity what makes you prefer SIU to UIC?

51. JayD

JayD

Dental Student
    I truly enjoyed the environment while there for my interview. I know that Alton is a small town, but that's what I need right need right now because I've been in Chicago all of my life, except for undergrad when I went to SIUC. My fiancé's family lives in Alton as well so I'm familiar with the community. The student guide told us that while school is indeed stressful, it's a little more laid back there, as compared with the students at UIC, who ALL appeared to be very stressed! And of course, the cost is also better. I'd much rather attend SIU for the same great education and not have to spend close to $100K more over the course of the four years. I'll go wherever I'm accepted, but those are the few reasons why SIU is my top choice. What made you choose SIU?

About the ads