Official Sleep Medicine Fellowship 2020-2021 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would also be interested to hear what people thought of their interviews. I did a total of 11 interviews.

Current top 5 in no specific order...

Stanford - Center of sleep medicine education and innovation. Faculty members all very nice and leaders in the field. Fellows doing almost exclusively telemedicine 2/2 COVID -- no end in sight. 8 fellows per year.

Mayo - Research focused -- obviously. Faculty from diverse backgrounds, PD has family medicine/OB core specialty. Fellows seem to only be there because it is Mayo, no other significant reasons were given when asked. 3 fellows per year.

University of Miami - This program surprised me the most. Great interview with interesting/thoughtful questions. Personable faculty. Program director was amazing and is 100% dedicated to making sure fellows are prepared for any practice. No pediatric attending faculty. 3 fellows per year.

Duke - Program director amazing -- passionate about inclusion and diversity. Neurology focused. No adult pulmonologist faculty. 2 fellows per year.

Emory - Great faculty with significant ranking within AASM. Research oriented. Program director fairly new and more clinically focused. 4 fellows per year.

Other interviews
Case Western
Mayo Jacksonville
Dartmouth
University of Tennessee Memphis
University of South Florida
Eastern Virginia Medical School

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I like the idea of sharing experiences we've had on the interview trail and am more than happy to share my thoughts on the programs I've interviewed at and any extra things I've heard or experienced in living in some of the areas. I think this will help get any extra info on programs. It's a bit tough deciding on some of these programs after only talking to them virtually for a few hours so I'd love others insight. I'll list the programs I've interviewed at and my upcoming ones. I went a bit overboard as I had an easy rotation and scheduled all my vacation and was able to fit in a lot of interviews.
Past interviews:
Wayne State
Minneapolis
Michigan
Tennessee
Baylor
St Vincent
Indiana
JFK
Phoenix
Utah
New Mexico
Upcoming interviews:
OHSU Portland
Dartmouth
Duke
Temple
UC Davis

A few places I've lived or been around and could given some info on:
Houston, Utah, Portland, New Mexico

My number: 385-626-8809, text anytime. We can start a group text if enough are interested

Was a group text started? Definitely interested...

how's ranking going on guys! Was curious if anyone had any inputs on Emory vs Case Western vs Wayne state vs Henry Ford. Family in Detroit but wanna be sure Emory is worth the move.

Members don't see this ad :)
So as we near the very end of interview season, I had a quick question in regards to those who come from a Pediatric background. With most of the sleep programs being more Adult-orientated versus Peds-orientated (though there are rare programs with a Peds track), how are y'all ranking your list? I'm in this predicament where I really want a strong peds exposure/track for sleep medicine but some of these programs then don't have the best location, cost of living, benefits, etc.

I guess I'm making harding on myself by saying "oh it's just 1 year, just deal with it...oh well the boards are mainly focused on adults anyways so you'll get a better review from that standpoint...."

Any thoughts?

how's ranking going on guys! Was curious if anyone had any inputs on Emory vs Case Western vs Wayne state vs Henry Ford. Family in Detroit but wanna be sure Emory is worth the move.

I only interviewed at Case Western but I didn't get a strong feeling for it. I'm looking for a program that faculty are close-knit and I didn't get that feeling at all...rather it seemed "cold" to me (granted I'm Peds if that tells you anything). I'm also not research-orientated and Case Western seemed to strongly be about that.

Reactions: 1 user
Was a group text started? Definitely interested...
I've had a few interested (wasn't able to add one of the numbers though) so I did start a group text. Just text me and I'll add you. It'd be good to get as many people as possible.

I interviewed at Case and Emory.

Case
I agree with @Chipacon7, it seemed a little cold and generally underwhelming. The most appealing thing for me is that it's Case and in a decent city.

Emory
I was actually surprised at how much I liked Emory. The faculty I interviewed with were personable, had diverse backgrounds, and were very active with AASM. Peds exposure seemed pretty good. Many research opportunities available.

Emory >> Case for me.

Anyone have thoughts on Miami vs Emory vs Stanford?

Guys is there anyone applying to sleep as well as other fellowships like PCCM this year? How do you participate in both matches? I am only ranking one of my fellowship interviews and the rest of my PCCMs. I wonder how to make it work

I interviewed at Case and Emory.

Case
I agree with @Chipacon7, it seemed a little cold and generally underwhelming. The most appealing thing for me is that it's Case and in a decent city.

Emory
I was actually surprised at how much I liked Emory. The faculty I interviewed with were personable, had diverse backgrounds, and were very active with AASM. Peds exposure seemed pretty good. Many research opportunities available.

Emory >> Case for me.
Thank you for the input. That was pretty neatly put.... And ya I kinda felt the same as well.

Will there be a list of unfilled spots that is publicly available after the match or does one have to participate?

Hope everyone was able to match! Best of luck to everyone moving forward!

(Also, it would be great if we can keep the Sleep Medicine forum active...it appears that most people tend to disappear afterwards)

To my knowledge you have to participate in the Match to view the unfilled program list (it's not made public) and that list is not available to those who have matched (e.g., I matched but am not allowed to view that list). It's also an NRMP Match violation if that list is somehow copied and listed.

I know that's not the answer y'all were hoping for but I'm not aware of any other way.

I think this year’s statistics will be interesting. How many candidates and programs matched into their top three spots this year compared to last few years.
Think about it, with everything going online, a lot more people are able to go for all their interviews. Theoretically, top candidates would have ended up in more programs’ ROL, displacing others.
It would be interesting which programs were left unmatched, or how many more candidates were unmatched as well.
Pandemic year.

I think this year’s statistics will be interesting. How many candidates and programs matched into their top three spots this year compared to last few years.
Think about it, with everything going online, a lot more people are able to go for all their interviews. Theoretically, top candidates would have ended up in more programs’ ROL, displacing others.
It would be interesting which programs were left unmatched, or how many more candidates were unmatched as well.
Pandemic year.
Do you know they typically release these statistics?

Do you know they typically release these statistics?
Those who matched and were left unmatched, yes. But I am also referring to those who made it to their top 3, compared to the previous years. Also, how many interviews candidates attended over all their invitations, also compared to the previous years.

Guys is there anyone applying to sleep as well as other fellowships like PCCM this year? How do you participate in both matches? I am only ranking one of my fellowship interviews and the rest of my PCCMs. I wonder how to make it work

Hi there!

Hope ur interviews went well.
Myself krish, IM resident PGY2 at a small community program.
I would like to take ur advice on getting into pulm crit after sleep medicine.
I have no research experience and I doubt I can do any in my hospital. I have 7 ACP posters which I consider negligible

given my scenario is it ideal to do sleep medicine and then apply for pulmcrit? or it is better to be a hospitalist and work at a bigger research center under a mentor

I would really appreciate ur help

I hope the match season went well for everyone this year. I want to share my experaince for future applicants, I am a non-US IMG, family medicine resident. I applied to the top 40 university based programs in the US (since we don't have a rank for the sleep medicine programs). I got 25 interviews and I did 18 of them (probably over killing), but I didn't know what are my chances as a family medicine resident since I am competing with different specialities with different backgrounds. Thankfully, I mathed with my first choice and I got a positive feedback from a lot of programs. I hope that might help future applicants who struggle to decide how many programs they have to apply to based on their visa status or speciality.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all, I was a prospective applicant for a pulmonary/critical care match this year. Unfortunately, I did not match but I am interested in a sleep medicine fellowship. IS there anyone who can please tell if there are any unfilled spots lefts in the sleep medicine fellowship match. I cannot view the list as I did not participate in the sleep medicine match, and am not asking to share the list as that's against nrmp policies, but if someone could please let me know if there are any vacant spots, that will be extremely helpful.

I hope the match season went well for everyone this year. I want to share my experaince for future applicants, I am a non-US IMG, family medicine resident. I applied to the top 40 university based programs in the US (since we don't have a rank for the sleep medicine programs). I got 25 interviews and I did 18 of them (probably over killing), but I didn't know what are my chances as a family medicine resident since I am competing with different specialities with different backgrounds. Thankfully, I mathed with my first choice and I got a positive feedback from a lot of programs. I hope that might help future applicants who struggle to decide how many programs they have to apply to based on their visa status or speciality.
Hey, any advice for applicants? did you have a lot of research/away rotations?

Hey, any advice for applicants? did you have a lot of research/away rotations?
I did one elective and participated in the sleep 2020 Conference with one poster. I got one recommendation from my hospital sleep PD and I matched to my first choice.

Will be applying for sleep medicine fellowship this upcoming cycle as a pediatric resident! Please let me know if you all are still open for questions and advice giving, since this overall forum seems quite silent. Thank you!

Will be applying for sleep medicine fellowship this upcoming cycle as a pediatric resident! Please let me know if you all are still open for questions and advice giving, since this overall forum seems quite silent. Thank you!
Will be applying this upcoming cycle as well! Good luck everyone!