OFFICIAL SUNY Stony Brook Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hopefully theyll have some good housing info for us on friday...cause i definitely need a place to live...

Members don't see this ad.

Duke-

You live on Long Island? I've had contact with some folks that have NO stress about getting a place to live (turns out these folks have all been on the Island, unlike me); I kinda freaking out because I think I'm the only one without a place to lay my head.

Anyone have a link to a classifieds or such from Stony Brook and the nearby communities?

dc

bigdan said:
Duke-

Anyone have a link to a classifieds or such from Stony Brook and the nearby communities?

dc

Hi guys,
I didn't have too much trouble finding a place to rent, but I went through several real estate agents before I found someone who listened and was proactive. I have two recommendations for agents: Jane Parker at JP Realtor (jprealtor.com, 631-473-0420) was great. She was friendly and very active in finding listings that matched what I was looking for. Also, Charles Neilsen (631-928-5484) at Coach Realtors was very helpful and nice.

Another good place to look is The Village Times Herald. You can access their classified ads online at threevillages.com.

Hope this helps! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone on Friday.

Members don't see this ad :)
A good place to look for housing is www.craigslist.org.

I wouldn't worry too much about finding housing. Worst comes to worse, there is a lot of off campus housing available in the vicinity of the campus.

jp-

NICE!

Thanks.

By the way, what was your financial layout to the realtor that you chose? Do you pay something up front for them to look, or a back end fee when they find? Sorry to pry, but money is tight.

dc

just got a call at work today from stony admiss offering a place. currently holding at temple. am having a heart attack trying to figure out where to go by 5 pm tomorrow. a few q's for you guys- do you think stony med is diverse? is the patient population at all underserved? how suburban is long island?? is it easy access to nyc??? thanks a mil

MariaS43 said:
just got a call at work today from stony admiss offering a place. currently holding at temple. am having a heart attack trying to figure out where to go by 5 pm tomorrow. a few q's for you guys- do you think stony med is diverse? is the patient population at all underserved? how suburban is long island?? is it easy access to nyc??? thanks a mil

I think the student population is relatively diverse, however, the patient population is not very underserved simply because the location of the hospital is in an affluent suburban area.

Access to NYC is easy enough. There is a train station located adjacent to the campus, right near the gymnasium and football stadium, which is about 5-10 minute walk from the hospital. The station is part of the LIRR and has trains going into penn station.

The hospital sees a more diverse population than people might think. It is one of 3 Level 1 Trauma centers on Long Island, so it will get pretty much any major trauma in Suffolk. The other 2 Level 1 are Nassau University Medical Center, which is a public hospital and is affiliated with Stony Brook, and North Shore University Hospital, which is where I work. From that experience, I can say that although the hospital is in a wealthy area, we definitely do get our share of uninsured patients.

There is a diverse population in the area in that although suffolk county is the epitome of suburbia, there is a large migrant worker community. There are clinics in the area that serves this population if you are interested.

But having been a volunteer in the SB ER for a year, most of their cases aren't as diverse as cases i've seen when I shadowed an ER doc at Bellevue in NYC. So don't kid yourself if you think you will see cases anywhere as interesting as downstate or at NYU...

I'm also coming to Stony Brook, as well as pre-orientation!

Hi Everyone,

For those of you looking for housing, I live in the area and here are a few suggestions:

-check out:
1) the 'Suffolk Life' newspaper classified section, found on the web at www.suffolklife.com
2) the 'The Village Times Herald' at www.threevillages.com (I think someone suggested this earlier)
3) also see 'Newsday' at www.newsday.com

-the towns to look out for that are close to campus include : Stony Brook, Port Jefferson, Setauket, Lake Grove, and St. James. These are the immediately surrounding ones near campus.
-as Stony Brook is very much a college town, there are lots of rentals available...so don't worry...you'll find something :)

Shoot questions my way at any time...I'd be happy to help!

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you this Friday! On a side note, I know th e-mail said the event will be 'very informal'...but how informal are people going with their wardrobe this Friday?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Dan,
Sorry I didn't respond sooner about the realtor fee. I've been out of town. I didn't have to pay any fee until I found a place. Then there was a realtor fee of 1 month's rent. Hope to see you and everyone else on Friday!
Jp

For the pre-orientation, there's no need to dress up. In fact, you might want to wear what's comfortable considering that the weather is humid and the AC might not be running in the lecture hall. On Friday, you will be given apartment listings as well as an email list so you can find roommates and a place over the summer. A number of students also chose to live on-campus, which is guaranteed for incoming students. You can also discuss any housing questions with the current students who will come chat with you.

jp-

Thanks for the shout back; no worries on the delay - it's all good.

alfie-

I'm showing up in a t-shirt or polo, with shorts and sneakers...I'm afraid I'll blend in if I don't go all out ;)

dc

dc- have decided to join the stonybrook clan. thanks for the push:) see you friday then!

hey ya'll

i'm gonna be heading over to stony brook in the fall also. i can't take off work friday, so i won't be able to see everyone until august. :(

for housing, i went to the stony brook off-campus website... but found it to be really annoying as most of those places are apartments in peoples houses and they either didn't open the door for their scheduled appointment, or had weird rules (one lady required a lot of rent but wanted me to only be in the apartment in the evenings)... i went up one day on a two hour drive, had 7 scheduled appointments and found out they all cancelled last minute. i'm happy tho' cuz i found a real nice place.. they have a list of apartment complexes nearby on the stony brook website, so you can call the complexes up. no broker fee... but it does require that you go up there.

well... tha'ts all i know!... hope ur enjoying ur summer.

:)

FNJ-

Sorry you can't join us; I work too, and called Grace Agnetti when I was under the impression that I would miss it too - she said that all the pertinent info would be mailed, so I think you'll be cool. Maybe PM me if you want some clarification or a synopsis of things?

And good look on the info for the housing - I'm NOT looking to feed someone's cat for them on cloudy Tuesdays, or whatever other funky rules they'll have. I like the complex thing...

Maria -

Nice to hear you're on our side. That part of Philly is mad ghetto anyways.

dc

hey guys,

does anybody know how we can connect with upper classmen to get a hold of used textbooks and such?

any current students have input?

The student forum would be a good place to have a listing of the books, but not enough students post.

I just checked on amazon.com for the biochem book they wrote on the blackbook, and its 70 bucks used and 140 bucks new.

Thanks

Group-

Good to see everyone, although I made no positive SDN identifications.

See you all again in August.

dc

Guys,

I'm really excited about starting school in the fall. Where are the rest of us? How many people on this list so far?

Hey guys..
I PMed a couple of you already. I was curious if you guys could give some tips to help a pre-med who would like to be accepted to SB next year. I grew up right near the school and have always dreamed of being a student at the hospital whenever I would pass it in my car. I am more interested in specific things that the school has a tendency to love, other than good GPA and MCAT. Any advice would be a blessing.. Thanks a lot.

Buro-

Hey there. First off, good luck with everything. You already know the starter points, so do well on that MCAT, and do your very best GPA-wise.

As for me, I found it very beneficial to take time off to do something that I liked and that gave me perspective, so that I was a more well rounded person. I have been working for 7 years in healthcare, and I do think that I had a leg up because of that. If time off isn't in your plans, maybe you can do some work or volunteering that you get something out of - not something that looks good on a resume - but something that you learn from. Stony Brook interviewers were, for me at least, quite open about wanting to produce caring physicians. You'll wanna be able to reflect what you've done and would like to do that will help you be just that.

I also don't see anything wrong with calling them and maybe seeing if they'll review with you what would make you stronger as a candidate. Maybe a tour of the school and hospital? Maybe send you some course info? I did this very early at Upstate Medical, by which I grew up, and it helped me VERY VERY much on all my interviews.

Lastly, though Stony Brook is a great school (I'm biased), don't count other schools out. I was SURE I wanted to go to Upstate. 100% sure. Then I saw Emory, and Jefferson, and Stony Brook. Moreover, you may get some scholarships or grants that will make going to another school a better choice.

Anyways, good luck, talk to the admissions group at some point before you apply, and keep all options open.

Best,

dc

hey guys!!
just found this SB SOM '09 thread!! i'm really excited about starting SB in just 2 months!!
does anyone know about housing and financial aide? the offices are pretty slow in sending out stuff and i'm going abroad to continue volunteering in a few days. i made the deposit for on-campus housing since i'm from nyc and still do not own a driver's license.. or permit.. is anyone else choosing on-campus housing?
i'm so glad that the class size is small so we can all get to know each other since my HS and college both had huge graduating classes!!

hope to see you guys during orientation!!

Are you from JHU? I graduated from there in 2002, but I'm back in Baltimore now.

I still haven't found housing yet. I've been spoiled by living in one bedrooms in Baltimore for the past 2 years - the max rent I paid was 885 which included ALL utilities. Now I don't want to live on campus, but I don't know how I will afford to live in a 1-bedroom! I'm still looking for places.

How's everyone else doing on the housing search?

I'm obsessing with Student Doctor and HSC.stonybrook.edu/som.

yea i just graduated from JHU last month!!
yea i've been living in uniwest for past 2 yrs with a roommate paying 600 a month not including utilities. i hope on-campus housing won't be too expensive for SB SOM. are you coming to SBSOM this fall as well? wow i can't believe i'd find a hopkins alum!

anyone know how much on-campus rent is @ SBSOM? are there any supermarkets around (within walking distance hopefully since i don't own a car.. or licence..)

I think on-campus rent has a huge range, depending on whether you share a bedroom with someone, get a private bedroom in a 4 bedroom, or get a single 1 bedroom apartment or studio. I found out the prices and amenities from the www.studentaffairs.stonybrook.edu - though you probably have to look around on the website a little for the on-campus housing info.

I don't know about supermarkets etc. It doesn't look like there's a lot to do around there without a car - but maybe near the undergrad campus (which is only across the road - probably 5 minutes on the campus bus).

Do you drive at all? Maybe you can try getting a license when you get to school. Did you come to the pre-orientation on the 17th? They talked about fitting in like $8k for a car in your student budget if you need one.

See you in August....when do you get back from volunteering abroad?

-abcabc

wow you can fit in $$ for a car from loans? that'll be awesome.. although i'm not sure if i trust myself to learn how to drive in less than a month and bring a car to SB from nyc.
i'm getting back from volunteering abroad at end of july. hopefully that'll give me sometime to finish up on financial aide and housing.
do people already have their financial aide all settled? i still haven't heard from the financial aide office. i'm afraid i won't have the $$ by the time the 1st bill for tuition comes..

yea the ideal woud be a 4bedroom.. i like living with alot of people and it'll be much cheaper too.

I also haven't heard from financial aid yet. If you've submitted the housing deposit, you should definitely get an affordable place soon.

Good Luck and see you in August!

anyone living on-campus? i just got my housing assignment today - living in schomberg apts in a 4 bedroom with another student. but there will only be two of us in the 4bedroom.
NO AC!! omg.. i don't know how am i supposed to survive.. i heard it's pretty humid in stony brook. and i can't even bring an ac.. only fans..

j0v1al said:
hey guys,

does anybody know how we can connect with upper classmen to get a hold of used textbooks and such?

any current students have input?

The student forum would be a good place to have a listing of the books, but not enough students post.

I just checked on amazon.com for the biochem book they wrote on the blackbook, and its 70 bucks used and 140 bucks new.

Thanks
We (class of 2008) gets tons of emails every months from upperclassmen who are done with their books. Once you're on the 2009 mailing list, you will start to get those emails as well. You'll probably want to wait until the second years come back from summer break anyway. Another thing is that not a lot of students found the textbooks helpful, so you should wait to hear from some second years during orientation regarding which texts to get.

There's lots of supermarkets near campus, the closest being Stop and Shop at the intersection of Nichols and 347 (about 1 mile). If you don't have a car, bum a ride :oops:

You won't need an AC around September. We had an absolutely freezing winter this year (with only one snow day) and it didn't get warm until June.

Found this question on another thread, might as well add it here:
What are the NBME exams? Are those in addition to regular school exams?

I mean, I know WHAT they are, I am trying to find out the way we take them at Stony brook. Is it at a pre-set time? Can we pre- or post-pone them? Can we take them on our own time?

What about other regular exams? Any ways to pre- or postpone those? Like say you want to get married in December, and want a few extra days.

Thanks!
The NBME test is otherwise known as the "shelf" exam because they are old board questions. They're always administered after the regular curriculum exams, sometimes the day after. Some courses directly incorporate these scores into your final course grade, and for some courses it can only help you to do well. The school spends about $100 per student per exam, so they require 100% attendance on the specified time, no changing the date. For the regular exams, I'd imagine it would be easier to pre-pone rather than post-pone. Either way, you'll most likely force the professor to construct an entirely different exam for you, so it would take a bit of negotiation.

Wow, thanks for the help tank :)

As for the AC situation, I would recommend investing in a nice window fan, you know one of those that have two fans that you can program to exhaust as well (some even have remotes). It won't be too bad since you have many other facilities to study/lounge in during the day on those especially humid/muggy days.

thanks for the help and advice guys!! =D ill definitely look into investing in a good fan!!

You're a big help. It was nice of you to answer the question that I posted in the allo thread.

I am stressing about housing...I just have to get my butt to call some people, and then find a day to go drive up to Stony brook and look at all the places. For some reason I feel it is a little early to be looking for a place to move into on August 15....that's more than a month and a half away!

Okay, enough ranting.

Hey everyone... I just finished my first year at SB and decided to see what the next year class is up to on SDN. First of all, i want to CONGRATULATE all of you who are accepted for class of 2009 :thumbup: i can tell you that the next year will be exciting and fun!!! For those of you still on the waitlists, I offer some hope being that I hadnt gotten off a waitlist until late june myself - and for those deciding between other schools (such as downstate) and SB - i had the same decisions to make and let me tell you that i do not regret my choice a single bit. I come from a huge HS and college both in urban areas and coming to SB with a class of 104 was a huge shock for me, but everything here has been really good so far and as tankitytank ;) has told you (he is the best techie ever btw trust whatever he says and he is one hell of a lab partner in anatomy haha) things here are very much accessible, students are selling their books left and right, people are offering apartments to rent and to share in the neighborhood. basically everyone is here to help if you need it. There is much to say, and if you guys have questions - feel free to ask - now that I know of this thread, I will check it often to keep up with the events. again, congrats to the class of 2009, cant wait to meet you all!!!

B :luck:

Hey! I just found this thread. I'll be going to SB this Fall as well and am very excited. too bad I didn't find you guys earlier, otherwise we could have met up earlier in June. oh wells...

Big Dan, thanks for your reply at the other thread...it was a tough decision but i'll definitely be happier here.

H-

Which? The one SB v. Rochester? Damn right you'll be happy here! Good choice!

Look at this power - I told Maria to come here and avoid Temple, and HED is coming instead of somewhere else. Let's see if this works: Biochemistry - HONORS. I'll let you guys know if it works...

dc

bigdan said:
H-

Which? The one SB v. Rochester? Damn right you'll be happy here! Good choice!

Look at this power - I told Maria to come here and avoid Temple, and HED is coming instead of somewhere else. Let's see if this works: Biochemistry - HONORS. I'll let you guys know if it works...

dc

yeah man...it was the post about SB v Roch. The choice at this point is pretty clear. now i gotta find a place to live. know of any apartments in the area? or are they all a bit ridiculous in price?

Hey Big Dan send some of those vibes my way. I want some lovin' from Stony Brook too! :D :thumbup: :luck: :scared: :mad: :( :oops:

So many emotions at one time. So thats what a waitlist does to a person. :thumbdown:

Anyone having any luck with apartments? It seems like all the places I call have leases starting July 1. I don't need a place till August 15th - am going home (India) for 3 weeks in July-Aug. Plus, my lease doesnt end till Aug 30th, so I don't want to pay rent for 2 places!

Anyone else having this much trouble finding a place before school?

Am I the only one so excited about starting med school that I keep checking this thread?

Where are my future classmates? Are you all out having fun and being not-too-obsessed?

i'm working so i can buy cool furniture. :)

i check this thread fairly regularly... i just never know what to say. i'm real excited about starting school.. been out for two years and have been itching to get my head in a textbook and attend class. i went for an interview at a school and was allowed to sit in on a class... oh man, i didn't understand one word the professor was saying, but it just seemed so right.

anyways... i'm a nerd... can't escape it.

Guys-

I'm always checking, but I was away for a week. So now I'm back.

Regarding school excitement, I'm thrilled. Everyone says that I'll regret my decision soon enough, or that at least I'll hate this part of my life at some point, but we'll have to see.

Regarding housing, I've been getting tons of emails from folks offering rooms or apartments - I can work something out with folks if you guys haven't been getting these emails. I found my place on the off-campus site linked to the SB website. $700 per month, but at least it's close.

See you soon!

dc

Well, here's some more writing for me to read, since no one posts on this thread.

I just got a Gateway laptop. A little big, but nice. I hope it works with whatever it is need. Cost me a mint too. I'd better end up getting good grades with this machine.

See you folks soon.

dc

For the class of 2009, this is your penultimate summer. So go out and have fun, unless this is what you do for fun :oops:

I spend time online for fun nowadays. Especially when I can't sleep at night, because I slept in till ~2pm the day before. And spending time online means a lot of sdn. I just can't wait to start med school. (famous last words!)

Anyway, I go out of town (out of the country) in < 2 weeks, so this is my last chance to get to know people in my class!

Still looking for housing (I plan to spend fri-sat-sun this week in Stony Brook looking for places). Still haven't bought a computer either!

So.. to start off some conversation.. lets post up what we are all doing this summer 'for fun'.. anyone doing something completely outrageous?

and anyone take up the advise from the pre orientation of quitting their jobs and bumming around? :)

Okay - I'm in:

I'm gonna quit my job as an occupational therapist on July 20th. On July 23rd I'm flying out to San Jose, CA to train for and play in the World Roller Hockey Championships, starting on August 6th. I'll fly back to NY on Aug 15th, hang out with my parents and siblings for a day or so, and then drive down to SB. I should, by the way, be moved into my apartment (read: hotel room-sized studio) on July 16th, so that should all be in order.

With a bit of luck, I'll have all my teeth and be in good shape for the White Coat ceremony on Aug. 22.

Cheers!

dc

Already quit my job 2 months ago :)
Been vegging for 2 months. That's why I'm always online.
Driving to Stony Brook tomorrow to look for apartments. Then to India next Friday for 3 weeks, then to Providence and Iowa for 2 close friend's weddings. And then move to Stony Brook.