OFFICIAL SUNY Stony Brook Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
as far as books go, i picked up the following (keep in mind that i am from a biochemistry background, so my choices have a more basic science point of view than others may want to choose (i.e. the alberts text)):

Fadem - Behavioral Science in Medicine
Stern - Core Concepts in Anatomy
Netter - Atlas of Human Anatomy
Moore, Dalley - Clinically Oriented Anatomy
Sauerland - Grant's Dissector
Alberts - Molecular Biology of the Cell
Rohen, Yokochi, Lutjen-Drecoll - Color Atlas of Anatomy
Stedman's Concise Medical Dictionary

I also admit that this is overkill as far as books go. but then again, you can say the same about my clothing, my furniture, my gadgets, and my game.

To facilitate a more collaborative group, I might as well say that I have B.S. in Biochemistry and Cell Biology and TAed for Structural Biochemistry back in undergrad. If push comes to shove, I'm your man. I will suck at something else, I'm sure, so hopefully you all will help me with my addiction to mint milano cookies.

Members don't see this ad.

NPH-

I will sponsor your mint milano addiction if you can get me through Biochemistry this term. Hey - I don't suppose you have any "leftovers" from Biochem? I'm not asking you for a free Stryer or anything, but I'd love a reference if you think you can spare one...Still broke as a joke over here, and I'm trying to avoid spending any more on books than I have to...And oh yeah - any cell stuff would be cool too.

For my gig, I have a BS in Occupational Therapy, during which I did Gross Anatomy and subsequently TAed.

Anywho, keep posting!

dc

Um, I took general chemistry for two semesters, so if anyone needs help with Lewis dot structures, I'm your man :D

Seriously though, if anyone needs help with the papers we have to write for Biochem, feel free to ask, I used to tutor in a writing center and have done my share of 'em.

See you all monday, when we get our new "classmates"

jeffC

Members don't see this ad :)
it looks like the surf squad will consist of jeff c, andrew (the one who did "take me on" at karaoke), and myself. anyone else out there who surfs who wants in on long island surf? anyone live on the beach on the south shore? anyone know any single girls (they seem to be an endangered species)?

bigdan, i recommend the biochem text by lehninger. stryer will do, but lehninger book just worked out better for me (ucsd profs also just recommended it over stryer). before i left san diego, i sold my copy because a new edition came out (which i might buy). as far as structural biochem goes, lehninger does a good general overview, but i prefer a text by branden and tooze (which i still have). you're welcome to check it out (i browse through it now and then because i browse through it at least once a week to answer those random questions i get during the day about them damn cytochrome structures and serine proteases).

panerai, i totally suck at writing up non-jargonful shizah. you might as well call my writings the solution for insomnia. aren't you excited to read my transcripts? would you send me your skills? i have nunchuk skills. that's why i'm the housemate of the prez of the noteservice. because he also needs my skills with the boe (reference to "napoleon dynamite")

-lou

"if you ain't a punk, holler "we want prenupt! we want prenupt!" Yeah!" - kanye west

NPH-

Sounds good. Hey - if I bring you a disk tomorrow, would you do me the trouble of "arranging" that new Kanye for me?

dc

of course that can be arranged.

hope all y'all are having fun studying the back.

download of the night that i highly recommend is ice cube's "you can do it"

-lou

"you can do it put your back into. i can do it put your ass into it" - ice cube and that girl he raps with.

I'm just posting to satisfy BigDan's request to keep this thread active.

Tomorrow, the real fun begins. I took my new scrubs and threw them in the trash over the weekend so when I wear them tomorrow in lab I won't be freaked out by the smell of our "first patient".

Awesome.

Mark

bigdan, bring the blank. you may want to consider (and this goes out to everyone else in the class) bringing an external hard drive if you want to check out anything in my collection of 6500 tracks (40gb). by tracks, i mean stuff that makes you go la la la. and i don't mean music?

from my studying tonight/this morning, it looks like core concepts is a good cliff notes (though not detailed enough), moore/dalley has great illustrations, and the ega stuff from the cd (included in the folder from monday) has the best text.

pop quiz: what are the 3 exceptions to flexion movement?

we should blast ice cube's "you can do it" today during dissection.

-lou

yeah - I'ma bring it. I actually had it today, but I didn't have all my **** together today, so definitely on Tues.

You've got me on the "exceptions" to flexion...care to enlighten?

I won't complain if you bring the tunes to the chop shop...

dc

bigdan said:
yeah - I'ma bring it. I actually had it today, but I didn't have all my **** together today, so definitely on Tues.

You've got me on the "exceptions" to flexion...care to enlighten?

I won't complain if you bring the tunes to the chop shop...

dc

ah man. now my answer to the question that i posted as a pop quiz is fuzzy in my mind. if i remember correctly (answer is in ega 2003), the thumb, the knee, the foot (since flexion is meant to be moving a body part more anterior than in its anatomical position). the thumb is on a weird axis and contraction moves it laterally across the palm of the hand (medially towards the median sagittal plane). the knee is just weird, but normal contraction bring the lower leg posterior. the foot is on a totally weird axis blah blah blah i'm going to get back to studying these spinal nerve thingies.

dude, i'll bring the kanye on an already burned cd for you, because that would make it easier, rather than burning one while pfa-scented flesh is flying all about.

does anyone have a burton amp pack and have any comments regarding this fantastic backpack/laptop bag/integrated ipod player?

from what i hear from the surf crew, there will be huge HUGE surf this weekend. anyone who wants in on this surfing posse for this upcoming long weekend should talk to andrew, jeff c, or moi.

-lou

"get to the choppah!" - arnold from the predator

you guys with your damn EGA 2003!!!! Curses!!!

I'm a Moore and Core Concepts guy - and I have no time for anything more than that!!!

dc

rather than have dan and lou talk to themselves on this board, I might as well chime in.. ;-)

EGA actually matches up pretty well with what Dr. Stern talks about in lecture if any clarification is needed (ie: with today's PNS 1 lecture).

Core concepts is too brief for me, its more like a review book.. im def. not one to initially learn from a book like this.

I can't wait for PNS II.

that's right. EGA is in the hizzouse! That's right. I'm starting up some mass printing. e-mail me if you want in (those of you who have already e-mailed me, i have you on a list).

-Louis Nguyen

WEST SIDE!

Members don't see this ad :)
Bonez-

Come join the group! And spread the good word of SDN. Louie and I think it's hysterical that we have our own little chat room ... maybe we scared everyone away, come to think of it...

Oh well. Core concepts for me.

Broke Phi Broke, Class of '05.

dc

One week down; four more years to go.

Whew - we are really doing this, guys (and gals)!!!! Hang in there, keep studying, and keep your heads up. Okay...time to drink.

dc

Or 8 more years to go for some of them :p

Any couples form yet?

kassie

bigdan said:
One week down; four more years to go.

Whew - we are really doing this, guys (and gals)!!!! Hang in there, keep studying, and keep your heads up. Okay...time to drink.

dc

Yeeaaaaaah weekend!!! only 207 more weeks of med school to go...Anyone got any plans for this weekend? I got nothin' here

jeff

well, now that the surf has lost it's hard-on, there is NOTHING other than to go study again. I'll probably end up in the anatomy lab today.

dangit "kassie." why do you have to remind me about the 8 years? all of my other classmates: you will become chief residents by the time i graduate. i will have my phd (think of that kanye west song from college dropout and the meaning of his phd acronym).

jeff and andrew a. : still want to hit up the beach for some surf anyways?

brothers grimm needs to be remade. who wants to help me re-film it? "brothers grimm, remixed."

"dude, where's my v.a.n.?"
"sweet, it's in your intercostal space."
"dude, where's your greater cardiac vein?"
"sweet, right along my LAD in the interventricular sulcus."
"DUDE, what's my tattoo say?"

louis

Slow weekend on the posting front, huh comrades? I don't blame ya.

I'm knee deep in anatomy and about to get smashed by MCG. Wish me luck.

And panerai - did anyone pony up to do the transcripts for ya yet? I'd consider it...

dc

no it's been all quiet on the transcript for hire front unfortunately...it's yours if you want it

i want to hire someone for doing my transcribing.

i haven't observed any couples form just yet. but i think i have some combinations in mind for myself.

anyone down for doing a pinned cadaver test this weekend to practice?

N-

Lemme do the one on Friday for Jeff, and I'll let you know if I'm down to do yours too, although I gotta admit you've got a ways to go until we get into the N's, right? But the money is good to me, so keep me in mind if you're gonna hire out.

No couples, but I have ideas too. Any ladies wanna comment on the eligible bachelor pool in our class, which includes brainy hunks like NPH and me?

You wanna practice test on the stiffs already? I'm down - lemme know a day and time.

dc

And you people that are ALWAYS commenting about how Louie and I are carrying on and how much you love SDN need to take the 30 seconds necessary and sign up and then get posting with us. Besides, maybe it'll keep the mail in our school mailboxes down from the 6000 messages I seem to get everyday.

I'm planning on doing some lab time Sat. afternoon, so if you guys are around then, maybe we'll get together.

As for couples, nothing I've noticed, I think more stress of exams is necessary to facilitate intermingling of that sort...seems like a lot of people are attached to a significant other, I'll have to live vicariously through you guys :D

jeffC

i e-mailed mohamed to see if we can get these anatomy reviews every weekend. it gets crowded, but it helps me out a lot with the addition of a smaller saturday anatomy review in a small group. i'll be there on saturday afternoon-evening-ish jeff. but seriously, last weekend, i went in to restudy, and i was able to figure out all the ct scan landmarks from today's surgery round as well as figure out why a patient's condition was the way it was (ask me about it. i'm just so stoked that i even got it right)

btw.. for a good time, watch steve jobs' quicktime video. it's so entertaining with guests such as yo yo ma, madonna, ceos of cingular and motorola, and performances by KANYE WEST! I know. I was two-stepping with my powerbook in hand to it.

jeff, i'm gonna get that ipod nano around christmas time as my third apple christmas present to myself. that think is so freaking awesome. it fits in that little jeans pocket that is so non-functional on the right hand side.

hope all is well with you guys. big dan, it's all about the girls. i've done recon on the 2nd year girls with the help of some contacts in their class. i've found some really good prospects. let's go through the facebook and call dibs.

-Louis

Louie-

I'd like a bit more interaction than just the facebook, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. You'll have to share your recon knowledge with me, and I'll do the same with you...

Jeff-

As you can see by the amount of time and keystrokes Louie and I spend on this arguably worthless topic, it's YOU that is actually in the postion to be envied, if you catch my drift...

Behave yourselves.

dc

dan, which one?

lou

how do you guys have time to post here?

who wants to figure out who abcabc is?

hints:

I'm a girl
I've met Louis and talked to him a few times and even exchanged emails with him.
Jeff is in my clinical group.
I haven't met Dan or talked to him yet. Oh wait, I did try to steal something from him during orientation, but we never exchanged first or last names.

Have fun!

Were you trying to take my BK crown, you would-be thief?

The least you could do is say hi to me....

dc

we have a winner!!!

I was in too much of a frenzy trying to steal the crown. and i thought you and Matt got mad at me, so i just sort of slithered away after that.

you're a smart cookie. I think I will say hi to you on Monday :)

-N

i have no clue. i exchange e-mails with many many girls

abc-

No worries, homegirl. In fact, Matt and I more admired your competitive spirit than developed any anger. You're cool in our book. If it makes you guys feel any better, even though we got everything, Mark still hasn't given us any prize for "winning". Come say hi.

N-

Did you have to say "many many girls"? You are that big a playboy? Damn. I need your little black book and some of your mojo. I'm so far off the ladies scene that I'm looking forward to the dissection of the female perineum. Oh yeah - share your information with me.

dc

Get this one guys-

I had a great beginning to my Sunday. I was up by 9, studying by 10:30, and out for a run (and a good time at that) and a swim by 1:30. I got to school to start to do the transcript for Biochem, at like 3. I did the little transcript template thing, and began to type away...but I did it straight to the template on the webpage, without saving it to Word. I went to save and *presto* - no save-o. So I re-did the whole frickin thing, I just finished now at 9:30, and now the file is too big to email or upload...

Remember that no good deed goes unpunished...

Good start to the day though, right? And I just took the anatomy quiz. 61%. That won't get me into anesthesia.

See y'all tomorrow.

dc

Update kids-

"This guy" got the damn thing uploaded.

Holla atch boy.

And start posting here, you chumps.

dc

it's all about the ipod nano. i'm gonna order one up this friday. i think the deposit checks from our acceptance replies for stony brook just got refunded. btw, dan, you still down to transcribe for me? it's still gonna be a few more weeks i think.

i need to get myself set to buy a mini, so i can show up jeff somehow. freaking a. i have to give it to you jeff... you beat me at getting the nano before me. punk

girls: i don't know what the deal is yet dan. i'm getting mixed signals all around. i think it's time to start ignoring this stuff and invest the time into broke phi broke. then the women will come.

louis

Be easy young grasshopper: the best things come to those who wait.

And, yeah, I'm tentatively down to transcribe; make sure I know the day and time so that I can let you know for sure.

dc

haha, don't worry dog, you'll get me on something...

as for the ladies, give it time (and the stress accompanied with our exams) I hear the post practical festivities get pretty interesting...

Damn...the waves must be real nice today, since I haven't posted and the only other folks that bother with this page are surfers...

Hope things went well on the water, guys.

Back to Biochem...

dc

as i told you earlier, the surf was pretty awesome. probably the best since i've moved out here. comparable to socal fall surf too. i think andrew will support that i had a good left. another week, another week. medical studious geeks. we go in anatomy lab to get smelly and to reek. for one day when we take tests, our minds at their peak. the stress so high, our brains will fry, and both esophagi and rectums, they will leak.

lou

dude. my english teacher shattered his pelvis once. that must have sucked.

jeff, where did you get your mini rear lights? I got in touch with Dennis. I'm planning on checking it out on Sunday or something.

dan, i can't believe how much you resemble billy zane and i resemble derrick zoolander. man, that is freaking hilarious. DUDE. there is a new girl that i call dibs on in the second year.

lou

NPH check your email thingy...being rant...anyone getting frustrated over the noteservice server constantly going down? Esp. when we shelled out all the dinero for it...I get that the guy running it is a resident and busy, but just change to a different server if these problems keep happening...end rant, back to your regularly scheduled SDN thread...

Jeff-

I hear ya on the noteservice thing. Wack.

Louie-

Gotta give credit where it's due; GREAT opening move with the grub today. You have much deeper pockets than I, so I can't even give you a run. I did send out an email appealing to the class' sense and sensibility, but when I was telling folks today that I was running for pres, they all said "Even after what Louie did?" and "What are you gonna bring?" The election looks locked up bro, but I'm still in it to win it...besides...you wouldn't wanna win running unopposed, now would ya?

VOTE DANIEL FOR PRESIDENT OF SB SOM CLASS 2009!!!

dc

just took that ol' anatomy quiz. 52%. Wow. That's just better than chance.

Looks I've got to get back to studying, whether I want to or not...

dc

what up, bro!

yeah, i agree that i have deeper pockets. i guess it's due to the luck i've been thrown though... i have more financial freedom, being an mstp... i had financial support from my undergrad research grants, so i have no loans from then. it's the way i run myself... high risk, high impact as my parents would call it, but after i got that first grant, i saw that the strategy had a strong effect and feedback. so, though i invest my own pocket into some of my work, i make sure i put in enough work to back it up. i would not run to buy myself in to the position. (which may appear that way... that will be my achilles' heel). I'm definitely gonna have to prove that i'm not purely a goofball, as many people see me as.

dude... donuts are the cheapest food man! freaking 5 dozen for 40 bucks! high volume, high impact. (as schechter said, high yield).

regardless of the outcome, we've gotta hit up port jeff for some drinks on friday. you down?

-lou

L-

Yeah bro...no harm meant here...just stating that I can't hang with ANY financial challenge - I'm not sure if you were just explaining yourself in the above post, or if I pissed ya off, but you know that we are down and that I mean no ill will to you. Sorry if I said it in an untoward way.

I'd actually love to do drinks on Fri; you did, I'm assuming, see my quiz score, however, which implies that I should be studying all weekend...we'll see how things are come Friday.

Peace.

dc

Well, Saint Louis, we gave it a good run, didn't we?

It's always the quiet guy that you have to worry about...we're lucky, however, Andy is a great guy and he'll be very very good.

Let's try to get up this weekend for a brewsky or something...

dc

i'm down, man. you know, we still one, in a way. not only do we have a president who will do well... we also just won ourselves a lot more free time.

i'm gonna have a site up by the end of the week, hopefully regarding "cough cough."

louis