OFFICIAL SUNY Stony Brook Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a bump guys...

Anyone out there? Bueller? Bueller?

Hope the housing search is going well...see y'all soon!

dc

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone...i've been MIA lately so i decided to check back and say hi to all of you. Just like many of you i'm excited to be starting up in the Fall but i need to find housing! I'm not stressing about it yet since i think there's a bit of time left and i live on Long Island as it is.

Big Dan, i'm also looking for an apartment/Studio to live in. I was wondering where you found a place for 700 bucks a month...if you want you can send me a personal message. Oh and best of luck with the Championships in California! You have to be sure to tell us all about that once we see each other at orientation!

HED-

I got some info from another classmate. I will give you my landlord's number - PM me or lemme know on this forum and I'll PM you back with the number. He may (or may not) have other properties. It's about the size of a frickin hotel room, and it's a section of a house (BUT I'M ALONE!!!)

You can try the website for off-campus housing too...

dc

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello fellow Stony Brookers,

I am attending SB this August too. But the reality of going to medical school hasn't sunk in quite yet since I was accepted a little over a week ago.

Since I didn't attend the second visit, is there any important or even trivial information that I should know?

Orientation schedule? I know it's 8/22 to 8/26 but anything specific besides the white coat ceremony.

What lender to use? Didn't get a financial aid packet yet but a helpful nudge to the right lender would be appreciated.

Anyone look into getting a new bank account at that Federal Credit Union bank?

Anyone going to be in the area before 8/22?

Any input would be appreciated to ease the transition in August (still working full-time). I'm psyched to meet you all soon.

McCram said:
Hello fellow Stony Brookers,

I am attending SB this August too. But the reality of going to medical school hasn't sunk in quite yet since I was accepted a little over a week ago.

Since I didn't attend the second visit, is there any important or even trivial information that I should know?

Orientation schedule? I know it's 8/22 to 8/26 but anything specific besides the white coat ceremony.

What lender to use? Didn't get a financial aid packet yet but a helpful nudge to the right lender would be appreciated.

Anyone look into getting a new bank account at that Federal Credit Union bank?

Anyone going to be in the area before 8/22?

Any input would be appreciated to ease the transition in August (still working full-time). I'm psyched to meet you all soon.

Hey McCram,

Welcome to the Class :)

You did miss some relevant information at the pre-orientation regarding the purchase of a lap-top computer, financial aid, and housing. I assume you have housing or are working on getting it because that is quite important. They did emphasize taking care of all housing issues prior to the start of orientation, including moving into your new residence (if in fact you are moving).

Also, the Bank and plan they suggested we choose is the classic option offered by Bank One I believe. Over the long run, who knows how long, it will end up saving you/us the most money. However, there are slight differences that you should read about and make the decision for yourself. You should get all this information in the financial aid packet. When you receive this you can ask Grave Agnetti directly.

I don't know that much regarding the orientation week. I'm assuming they will send out some information, whether my snail mail or email, sometime before it.

Also, it seems like we won't be provided scrubs for anatomy. I don't think its necessary to wear scrubs. However, any clothes you wear into lab can no longer be worn outside (so they say). So if you're currently in a lab/hospital environment try to get your hands on some extra lab coats/scrubs. Also, try to get a few boxes of nitrile gloves as well, I don't know if they provide these but I'm sure if they don't it'll cost a bit.

They also said you should purchase a car. I grew up in Stony Brook/Three Village area so I can say this is certainly true. You will definately need a car by third year during rotations because we will be shipped off to a few other locations.

Lap-tops...the tech guy is sending out emails about this. I'm not sure if you're receiving them yet. He basically says you can use any type of lap-top you wish only to make sure the battery life is good. He suggests you get windows because there might be possible software which won't be compatible with Mac. I'm not sure if this will affect you. Although, there is a program called virtual pc which creates a windows environment in mac thus allowing you to use any pc software. This guy should know about that software but alas he said nothing of it in his latest email (maybe I should take his job, jk).

Anyway, if you haven't taken care of housing and financial aid, I would suggest you get on those things first. Then move on to the other minutia.

Congrats again and see you in August.

-j0v

TFCU is great. I've had an account for awhile because my father works for the university. They offer much higher interest than other banks and I don't think you are required a minimum balance to avoid fees.

Plus there's a branch in the hospital itself! Ultimate convenience.

Thanks for all the great tips. Almost instant gratification. Real scrubs for anatomy? How about an old set of PJs?

I got the email from Moises E. today regarding laptops. Did they say that we would be using a computer everyday?

Housing and securing financing are my top priorities. Do you know if the prices are reasonable for the suggested apartment complexes? I've driven by Stony Brook a ton of times and never saw any apartments. Curious.

I saw someone in a prior post mention a scholarship but does SUNY SB really have much to offer in this regard?

Again, thanks for the feedback.

j0v1al said:
TFCU is great. I've had an account for awhile because my father works for the university. They offer much higher interest than other banks and I don't think you are required a minimum balance to avoid fees.

Plus there's a branch in the hospital itself! Ultimate convenience.

Hey all, another last minute acceptee here (gotta love linkage). Just dropped off all the preliminary paperwork today, it's nice to finally go to a school where the office people are friendly. I talked to Dean Agnetti today, and she said info about orientation will be coming soon, and that more financial aid stuff will come with your award letter, along with health insurance info (insurance will be covered at orientation as well). Anyone out there sticking with a Mac for a laptop? I just bought one in January to help with the MCATs, so I can't see buying another so soon. I think they're necessary because most of the course content (lectures notes, handouts and, according to one MS-3 I saw at my interview, we'll be the first class to get audio of all the lectures as well). I'll definitely second a car being necessary, as Stony Brook is kinda isolated if you consider it from a walking POV. Enough late night rambling, congrats to all and see you in about a month!!

Jeff

Hey all,

Financial aid is being real slow. I was accepted in June, and submitted my paperwork about 3-4 weeks ago, and i keep hearing that letters will be sent out this week or next.

Re: apartment complexes, there are a bunch within about a 10-15 minute drive, but rents for 1 bedrooms are 1100 and up. The website has a ton of info and contact info on housing in the area, basically housing where people have converted basements/garages/spare rooms into rooms for students. I guess if you have 3-4 people, you could get a nice house, don't know much about that.

I plan to drive up to stony brook on the 18th. Want to have atleast the weekend to move in and get settled before orientation.

See you all soon!

Okay...finally some posts here!

I tried to post last night, but the computer I'm on timed out and blah blah blah, so anyways...

McCram - I kinda got lucky with the studio I found, it is really the reconfigured garage in a house in Port Jefferson Station, which sits about 4.4 miles from Stony Brook, if my car's odometer can be trusted. The group renting the upstairs is 3 medical students, so that'll be cool - they're actually still looking for the third student, so lemme know if you're interested, and I'll put you on. It'll be like 550/mo there. My place is the size of a hotel room, and it's 700. When I called the listed apartment complexes, there was one for 999/mo, the rest were all 1100 and up - for one bedrooms.

The computers will be used for all exams I believe; you hopefully got the other email that gave you the recommended Stony Brook specs. Lemme know if you didn't get it.

Scholarships, I think, are limited at SB, as they are at most of the SUNY schools. But I think that beating around the bush or waiting for someone to offer you money is somewhat fruitless, so I say call or email financial aid and ask: 1) what the scholarships are, 2) how to/who qualifies, and 3) can you have some of the money. Kinda like getting the airline upgrade to first class - they may have it but they won't offer unless you ask. Anyway, there is a bit of some info on the school's website regarding scholarships that you may wanna look into.

Good luck with it.

And, guys, lets keep the posts coming!

dc

hey! welcome to the class! I wanted to let you know that I have a powerbook and will be brining it this coming Fall. Its about 2 years old but it runs great and has been perfect for me. Although I' ve thought about buying a new PC laptop, at this point I can't justify it. I think everything for the most part will run fine since you'll probably use most of your computer for exams, notes, lectures, etc...that being from my impression it seems like we'll be using our computers pretty often.

BigDan, still looking for housing...i'd prefer an apartment but its a bit pricey out there!

HED-

You want the hookup then?

We're in Port Jefferson Station. One guy has the lease on a three bedroom, and he's got one other guy with him. I was originally be guy number three, but I took the studio apartment below the three bedroom apartment in the same house. We've got the wireless internet setup thing going in the house. It's like 4 miles from school, right off of 347, near the WalMart.

Tell me if you want the numbers to contact the landlord and the guy with the lease.

dc

hey all...

BigDan thanks for offering to help out with the info. I really appreciate it. I actually ended up finding housing today! I'm renting out a place in stony brook so its like 2 miles or so away from the school...but up by the train station and the other side of 25A. i'll be happy there...works out for what i need and although it was a little more than i wanted to spend its a private apartment and its close by and it was late in the game for me anyways. I just can't move in until September...but that's not a big deal. I can commute or something. I don't think school starts up really until then.

anybody thinking of getting a PDA? i know we'll end up needing one later on but now it'd just be for basic stuff...any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a real basic one now, Palm Zire 21 i think, black and white screen, no real apps., basically just enough to take down assignments and enter a schedule into it. From what i've read, we don't really need one until 3rd year, and like most electronics, if you bought one now you'd need to replace it anyways.

One thing I've been thinking about is how are you guys planning on attending lecture? A few students I saw at my interview claimed they didn't even attend and only studied out of their textbooks and the note service. I personally learn better when I listen to someone and take notes, even if the notes don't make any sense. I guess it's just the process of writing that helps, but I was just curious what you guys were thinking of doing? Less than a month, it's getting close!

Hi guys!

I'm glad to see this thread is active again - last time I posted was nearly two months ago. Anyways, like many of you, I'm super excited and can't wait! I'm also nervous because I want everything to go smoothly but it seems like there's so much I still have to do in preparation...still looking for housing, recently realized I need to take out loans (rents pulled the rug out from underneath quite suddenly), not to mention the actual academics! Is anyone still looking for housing? If you're female, would you be interested in rooming together? I think it works out cheaper when you share. How many of you are living in single studio apartments? Also, and I feel like an idiot, but those of you familiar with the loan process - I just started looking at Stafford loans...can someone brief me on the process so that I don't look like a complete idiot when I call up the financial aid office? I haven't even filled out the FAFSA form - is it too late? I feel like putting my fist through the wall for being so clueless.

Anyway, it's great to see a bunch of you online! I can't believe it's so close...I graduated in December and I was wondering what I would do for these past 7 months but somehow the time passed quickly. Sigh, and everyone keeps saying how we need to cherish our freedom before the pain of med school sets in. At least we'll all be in the same boat :) Congrats to everyone who got off the waitlist!! I'm excited to meet you all, and in the meantime enjoy the rest of your summers! Yay Stony Brook!

-Realest

Congrats! As for the Stafford loans, the packet with all the initial paperwork I think addressed them to some extent, but I think there is a cap as to how much of them we can get, and that private loans will mostly likely where most of the $$ comes from (don't hold me to this). As for FAFSA, I just did mine last week, so it's not that big of a deal, but the Financial aid office said it takes about a month from when you submit yours to get everything straight, so I'd try to do it this week so that once school starts you can just concentrate on studying. If you comfortable with it, do the whole thing online as it saves almost a week processing time. They (the financial aid office) seemed really cool about everything, i.e. they'll understand if your money isn't in on time and wouldn't expect you to pay for school until then. Hope this helps.

Jeff

panerai1 said:
Congrats! As for the Stafford loans, the packet with all the initial paperwork I think addressed them to some extent, but I think there is a cap as to how much of them we can get, and that private loans will mostly likely where most of the $$ comes from (don't hold me to this). As for FAFSA, I just did mine last week, so it's not that big of a deal, but the Financial aid office said it takes about a month from when you submit yours to get everything straight, so I'd try to do it this week so that once school starts you can just concentrate on studying. If you comfortable with it, do the whole thing online as it saves almost a week processing time. They (the financial aid office) seemed really cool about everything, i.e. they'll understand if your money isn't in on time and wouldn't expect you to pay for school until then. Hope this helps.

Jeff

I would take care of the financial aid stuff ASAP. As in, drop whatever you are doing now and take care of the FAFSA.

I do not think you will be able to start your studies this fall if you haven't given your first payment to the Bursar. You are dangerously close to not being able to start school on time.

Call student affairs office immediately and get steppin' on those things.

pan-

I´m planning on attending all the lectures; I have heard from others about just getting notes and reading, but I´m in the same boat that you are regarding liking to hear it and then writing it down. And for 41K/yr, I´m gonna get my money´s worth.

dc

hey its great to see more people posting!

As for the financial aid...i agree that the faster you do the better of you'll be. Since the FAFSA is online it doesn't take that long to do and if you can do it at all hours of the day. I think that's the real limiting step. Once the school has the FAFSA application (takes a few weeks for the government to process it), then its in the hands of Stony Brook. Once its in their hands I think they'll move pretty darn fast. I know for some schools that I was waitlisted at, but ended up turning down, they were able to use my FAFSA and get me a financial aid package a day after I was accepted so I could better make my decision.

I think once you get that paper work done, things are way more in your favor for everything running smoothly. Best of luck!

hi all!! i was just wondering what kind of bank(with atm) is on the stony brook campus? i heard it's bank of america? i'm closing my hopkins bankaccount and opening another one that can be used in stony brook.
anyone has any ideas? thanks!! :D

hi guys!
i heard the orientation's only for one day? and not for a whole week?
is anyone living on campus? (no car...) they said i can't move in until the 26th... that sucks. can't hang out with the rest of the new 1st yrs after orientation!

Really? nycjhu22 are you asking or telling the rest of us? (Wasn't sure by your "?" marks.)

A whole week of full-time orientation seems a bit excessive. It would be great to have a few more days off to get my life in order before the start of class and meet the rest of you outside of school.

nycjhu22 said:
hi guys!
i heard the orientation's only for one day? and not for a whole week?
is anyone living on campus? (no car...) they said i can't move in until the 26th... that sucks. can't hang out with the rest of the new 1st yrs after orientation!

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure that we have a full week of orientation based on what I've heard, as well as from the calendar:

https://cbase.som.sunysb.edu/conet/...N=67012962&jsessionid=80302025561122916086778

In the most recent correspondance I got from SB, Ms. Allen indicated that we would be receiving more detailed information about orientation at the beginning of August.

On another note, a couple of weeks ago I got a letter from the Stony Brook Chapter of AMA and the Medical Society of the State of New York. The letter highlighted what these organizations do and offered membership to me as an incoming medical student. How many of you plan on becoming members?
Just wanted to get a general idea if medical students join these organizations even though they are still students.

Thanks for reading this everyone and I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you in about 20 days!

yea i called the housing office to ask about move-in date for on-campus housing, and she told me the 26th. i was confused because i thought orientation is going to be for a whole week too starting the 22nd. she said it's only the day of the 22nd.

nycjhu22 said:
yea i called the housing office to ask about move-in date for on-campus housing, and she told me the 26th. i was confused because i thought orientation is going to be for a whole week too starting the 22nd. she said it's only the day of the 22nd.

That's really weird - maybe it's because the housing dept is for all of SB not just the med school, so they wouldn't really know... I'm pretty sure it's the whole week tho, or we're going to be killing a lot of time!

Did you guys buy texts yet or will they brief us on this during orientation?

Last year, the first day of orientation was the only full-day of orientation, while the rest of the week we had lots of social events in the afternoon and evening for the first and second years. The rest of the time is still worthwhile, since you'll get your SOLAR/email account set-up, meet the first-year faculty, learn about the note service, etc. Most of the class signed up for AMA and AMSA because they were bundling memberships with a copy of Netter's Atlas or Stedman's dictionary. The textbooks will be sold at Matthew's bookstore and you will be informed about that by the professors or a second year.

Tankitytank said:
Last year, the first day of orientation was the only full-day of orientation, while the rest of the week we had lots of social events in the afternoon and evening for the first and second years. The rest of the time is still worthwhile, since you'll get your SOLAR/email account set-up, meet the first-year faculty, learn about the note service, etc. Most of the class signed up for AMA and AMSA because they were bundling memberships with a copy of Netter's Atlas or Stedman's dictionary. The textbooks will be sold at Matthew's bookstore and you will be informed about that by the professors or a second year.

Are we able to sign up for SOLAR ahead of time? Same for CBASE - is this something we figure out during orientation, because when I called up the housing dept asking about on-campus housing they said I should have logged in already. Apparently we received ID#s with our acceptance letters. Frankly, I think the housing office is just screwing with us ;)

Before orientation we received an email on Thurs, Aug 19 from Michael Silverberg with our own randomly generated password for CBase/Email. If you didn't receive it, you can request it during orientation. The default SOLAR password is your date of birth, so if you already are given your student ID then you can try logging on.

Tankitytank said:
Before orientation we received an email on Thurs, Aug 19 from Michael Silverberg with our own randomly generated password for CBase/Email. If you didn't receive it, you can request it during orientation. The default SOLAR password is your date of birth, so if you already are given your student ID then you can try logging on.

Thanks! What other stuff do they go over during orientation? Do they brief you on classes and hand out syllabi or do you just plunge right in on the first day? I guess what I'm asking is how prepared do you feel by the first day because I'm really nervous :oops:

o shoot do i have to commute everyday until the 26th when housing lets me move in? that sucks!!

also - anyone knows about banking in stony brook? what's the bank's on campus? i heard it's bank of america?

nycjhu22 said:
o shoot do i have to commute everyday until the 26th when housing lets me move in? that sucks!!

also - anyone knows about banking in stony brook? what's the bank's on campus? i heard it's bank of america?

I thought it was bank one...

Realest said:
I thought it was bank one...

there is a bank of america ATM on campus as well as the teachers federal credit union.

so bank one is where we get the loans from - but there isn't one on campus? i never heard of bank one before doing financial aid for stony brook.

thanks guys for all your responeses!

anyone doing on-campus housing for next year?

Realest said:
Thanks! What other stuff do they go over during orientation? Do they brief you on classes and hand out syllabi or do you just plunge right in on the first day? I guess what I'm asking is how prepared do you feel by the first day because I'm really nervous :oops:
Dr. Stern gave us a sample one-hour anatomy lecture on muscles of facial expression to demonstrate the pace of the course. It definitely scared the pants off of everyone (the ones that remained awake). Then there were a few hours devoted to team-building exercises, Myers-Brigg personality test, studying strategies, financial aid, academic difficulty, honor code, etc. The first day will soon feel like every other day, so don't worry about not being 100% prepared.

Tankitytank said:
Dr. Stern gave us a sample one-hour anatomy lecture on muscles of facial expression to demonstrate the pace of the course. It definitely scared the pants off of everyone (the ones that remained awake). Then there were a few hours devoted to team-building exercises, Myers-Brigg personality test, studying strategies, financial aid, academic difficulty, honor code, etc. The first day will soon feel like every other day, so don't worry about not being 100% prepared.

Spanks - that puts me at ease :cool:

has anyone received this orientation information that is rumored to be arriving "early august"?

i just need something else to waste time reading instead of doing anything actually productive...

and while im here...

does anyone know if there are any type of intramural sports or semi-organized athletic activities within the medschool??

I got a sneak peek at some of the orientation info because I dropped by the school to look for housing (this will be my last act of procrastination before school, I swear) and it basically says: (1) buy a monthly parking pass on the first day for $23, (2) Meet @ 10am for breakfast and white coat, (3) loan disbursement will take place sometime the following week so have some other money handy for the start of school. (from the Student Affairs Office)

Looks like the 2008s are planning stuff for us during orientation too.

btw - Is anyone else homeless still?

incudoc said:
has anyone received this orientation information that is rumored to be arriving "early august"?

i just need something else to waste time reading instead of doing anything actually productive...

McCram said:
I got a sneak peek at some of the orientation info because I dropped by the school to look for housing (this will be my last act of procrastination before school, I swear) and it basically says: (1) buy a monthly parking pass on the first day for $23, (2) Meet @ 10am for breakfast and white coat, (3) loan disbursement will take place sometime the following week so have some other money handy for the start of school. (from the Student Affairs Office)

Looks like the 2008s are planning stuff for us during orientation too.

btw - Is anyone else homeless still?

Exciting :rolleyes:

I recently found a place for next year, but for those of you still looking, I recommend going with one of the many apartment complexes in the area if you can find a roomate. I think it's much more convenient and works out cheaper or about the same in the end, plus there's the added bonus of security since it's legal, they have established standards, additional facilties, etc etc.

What have you guys been doing in these few weeks before our freedom is snatched from us? Clearly I've been surfing SDN more often than can possibly be healthy. I'm actually at work though (I know, pretty sweet job). I can't believe it's only 2 weeks away!

And btw, we need more participation on this thread. Even Oklahoma has more than we do :p j/k

looks like orientation's not going to be as fun as college orientation haha. hopefully it'll be exciting once we get there =D

i'm still in hopkins finishing up some stuff at work after taking a one-month vacation abroad. i'm also trying to spend some more time with bf since i won't get to see him as much once school starts... anyone else going to get into a long distance relationship? i'm a little worried about that..

nycjhu22 said:
anyone else going to get into a long distance relationship? i'm a little worried about that..

i'd consider yourself lucky, because i feel like one of the only single persons going in! i know of many people who will be testing their relationships with distance, and some have made it work...good luck!

Hey guys-

Hope that things are going well for y'all. I'm knee deep in a roller hockey tournament, and just got done doing some things on SOLAR, which was an adventure in and of itself.

Fear not, realest - there's at least one other single person rolling in (me), and there have got to be more. It is what it is.

If you care, try this link to check me out at the 2005 World Roller Hockey Championships. We're getting our asses handed to us, but it's a good time...
http://www.2005rhwc.com/Picts-7.htm#Germany-USA
I'm number 4, darkskinned with the flag headband, for the USA team. If the link isn't active, lemme know how to do it and I'll give it another shot.

Keep the posts rolling. See you guys soon.

dc

Awesome. Great photos Dan.

I was wondering - if any MSIIs are browsing this page - how much battery power do you need for your laptop? Did you guys find you needed an extra battery? Mine says it lasts up to 4 hours - but with the number of programs I've installed, I bet it will last only 3 or so. Are there places on campus to recharge and do you have enough time to do so?

One week! I wish there was an emoticon that was biting off its fingernails.

Realest said:
Awesome. Great photos Dan.

I was wondering - if any MSIIs are browsing this page - how much battery power do you need for your laptop? Did you guys find you needed an extra battery? Mine says it lasts up to 4 hours - but with the number of programs I've installed, I bet it will last only 3 or so. Are there places on campus to recharge and do you have enough time to do so?

One week! I wish there was an emoticon that was biting off its fingernails.

im pretty sure there are outlets for us to plug the laptops into in libraries and such.

yea!! one week left!! isn't it exciting?? it seems like i'm the only going to be living on campus as a result of lacking a car and a license ;)

nycjhu22 said:
im pretty sure there are outlets for us to plug the laptops into in libraries and such.

yea!! one week left!! isn't it exciting?? it seems like i'm the only going to be living on campus as a result of lacking a car and a license ;)

Nah, it doesn't seem like more than 10 or so people from our class are on this thread, so I'm sure you'll find others in a similar situation once school starts and you meet everyone.

Hey Dan,

Awesome pics :)

How did you get into your SOLAR account? The only student ID number I have received from Stony Brook was on the sheet with my financial award. Is that where you got your ID from? I tried using that one and it didn't work when I tried about 3 weeks ago.

I hope you're having a great time and I'll meet you soon :)

Alf-

Thanks for the props. We just won our first game, against England, 5-3.

Anyways, the SOLAR thing is entered by using your SBID #, then enter your password as mm/dd/yy; it will ask you to change that when you enter. I had to do it as a response to an email from the offices at the school which let me know that I forgot something and was in jeopardy of not being registered. I'm sure it'll all shake out at the orientation.

dc

We have our emails! Did anyone check out CBASE and the course webpages? I have crazy butterflies in my stomach...

where do you go to access the SOLAR account? cbase ive found...

hey all! Dan nice pictures! i guess we'll all know who you are come the 22nd!

Check this out...I got my new laptop today from Dell and it arrived with a fuzzy screen so you couldn't read any of the words and the graphics were all screwed up! great way to start things off eh?

does anyone here know when we get our parking permits? or if we can buy them on monday before we park to save some money...i was thinking we may need to have proof of being a student first...not sure how this works. any second years know?

Thanks! I can't wait to meet you all. unbelievable...1 week left! where did summer go!