Official Temple University School of Pharmacy Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kwakster928

A Legal Drug Dealer
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think we have numerous people in this forum who applied to Temple and got accepted. Congrats to you guys all. I am just starting a new thread to answer any of the question you guys might have for next couple month preparing your whole new year. Congrats again and I will see you guys in August! Please don't forget to say hello when you arrive.

CONGRATS EVERYONE!! Now go get drunk. :laugh:
 
Tae
Just a few quick questions...
1. In the info packet it says to send a photo. Do they want a photocopy of my drivers license/passport or an actual photo like the kind you get taken when you apply for a passport?
2. I have 2 (possibly 3 classes to finish). As part of the provisional acceptance it says to maintain a competitve GPA. Not that I am planning on getting any C' (but I still do have that dreaded acs orgo final next week) but does competitive at this point just mean C or better?
3. How late did you apply for finacial aid? (I haven't yet because I didn't think that I would get in)
4. How many lab coats should I order (1? 2? ) 😉
Thanks!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the people who got in to Temple this year, congrats, and can anybody please tell me their stats. I didn't get anything from Temple yet (I hope its because I had them mail everything to my home adress which is far away) and I want to know what they were looking for this year so I have something to compare myself to. I would appreciate the help; it would make me feel a lot better while I am waiting for my letter to come. 🙁
 
kwakster928 said:
...I am just starting a new thread to answer any of the question you guys might have for next couple month preparing your whole new year...

Thank you, Mr. Good Luck Charm.

When can we become interns? What does that involve?

When, and how, and at what cost, do prospective students register for parking?

Are there any lame jokes the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th year students will attempt to play on us poor, unsuspecting 1st year students?

I read something about a dress code!? Tell me what THAT'S about!
 
Man i really didnt think i was gonna get in this year. But i am soo glad to be here with you people now. One good thing that comes from getting accepted this year is that I wont have to take the Pcats again this year~Second, i wont have to start paying off my loans now...now i can defer my loans all the way through till i finish pharmacy school!!YAY! Thirdly, I finally get that much deserved pay raise at my pharmacy for being an intern now!! Life is so good. 👍
 
Temple sucks....go to a real school! If not, GO OWLS!!!!

owl.jpg
 
C-ject has come back with a vengeance! :meanie: ...for what, I don't know 😉
 
I thought you had a problem with LECOM, not Temple! :laugh:

I hope an owl poops on your belltower :meanie:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
exliontamer said:
Tae
Just a few quick questions...
1. In the info packet it says to send a photo. Do they want a photocopy of my drivers license/passport or an actual photo like the kind you get taken when you apply for a passport?

I sent the passport photo. To be honest with you i dont even know what the hell they use it for. probably for some weird record that the university administration required them to do so.

exliontamer said:
2. I have 2 (possibly 3 classes to finish). As part of the provisional acceptance it says to maintain a competitve GPA. Not that I am planning on getting any C' (but I still do have that dreaded acs orgo final next week) but does competitive at this point just mean C or better?

I dont think there is a written guideline of what exact grade you need. you dont want an F because then your credit wont count that's bad. but i doubt that's the case for you. Try to get B or above to be safe.

exliontamer said:
3. How late did you apply for finacial aid? (I haven't yet because I didn't think that I would get in)

I believe dead line for FAFSA is june 30th. contact student finance office ASAP regarding your loan process. things get complicated really quick. do FAFSA ASAP as well. if you are out of state, you might consider moving your residency status to PA. you can also talk to them about that.

exliontamer said:
4. How many lab coats should I order (1? 2? ) 😉

I ordered 2. Some of classmates went all out and ordered 3 or 4. i dont know why. I have one for labs (gets messy) and i have another to wear (clean) when i go to shadowing or working at the hospital pharmacy. but it is up to you though.

Tae
 
BTB said:
Thank you, Mr. Good Luck Charm.

When can we become interns? What does that involve?

You can become a pharmacy intern as soon as you start your semester. You have to fill out state intern application at proper state board of pharmacy. you have to have a school seal but you can drop that by dir. of student services and they will complete the form and put it back in your mailbox. you can then send the money and the form to state board of pharmacy to get your license. also in order to be an intern you need a preceptor. you will get a lecuture about his once you arrive.


BTB said:
When, and how, and at what cost, do prospective students register for parking?

By end of July, you should receive parking application from parking services. you have to fill that out as soon as possible if you dont want to be stuck in the parking lot that is 10 blocks away from the campus. they dont usually cash your check until you pick up your parking pass. so nothing to lose here. you can either apply for tioga west or battery. but tioga west is big and space is wider, battery lot is completely opposite however it is right cross from school. cost of parking is $272/semester. I carpooled w/ one of my classmate to share the cost. you can try to find someone during orientation if you so desire.

BTB said:
Are there any lame jokes the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th year students will attempt to play on us poor, unsuspecting 1st year students?

no upperclassmen are extremely helpful. including myself. hehe

BTB said:
I read something about a dress code!? Tell me what THAT'S about!

we have semi dress code for the labs. first semester you have to dress up for the labs. it is only 7 times a semester anyway, second semester you can wear whatever you want for labs. only thing is you have to have your lab coat on. Al who is your lab coordinator will yell at you if you don't. that's about it. when you go shadowing or ride-aid experince of course you have to dress professionally. no brainer there.
 
Just want to let everyone know that I got my letter and I am in!!!! See you all in the fall. :clap: For those who didn't get thier letter yet, stay hopeful, they are still being sent.
 
xtiffyx said:
Just want to let everyone know that I got my letter and I am in!!!! See you all in the fall. :clap: For those who didn't get thier letter yet, stay hopeful, they are still being sent.
WOO HOO!! Congradulations! All of us SDNers should meet up at the orientation!
:laugh:
 
Anyone hear of any1 getting a letter between last wednesday and friday and they got Rejected?? I have a gut feeling that the Acceptance were sent out last week and this week the Rejection letters will be sent out. Does anyone know anything?
 
where any of you on the waiting list last year?
I was, but am still waiting to hear!
 
FJ11 said:
Anyone hear of any1 getting a letter between last wednesday and friday and they got Rejected?? I have a gut feeling that the Acceptance were sent out last week and this week the Rejection letters will be sent out. Does anyone know anything?



Have you heard of any rejection letters yet?
 
bacon said:
Have you heard of any rejection letters yet?


I actually heard for the first time today that some1 heard of some1 getting a rejection letter last week, I dont know how true that is. Also, you dont hear about people coming forward and admitting they got rejected because it's not something that you go around telling people about. Deep breathe....so will see......
 
I know that out-and-out rejections, as in "you didn't even make the cut to be invited for an interview", are ongoing. My friend got one of them sometime in April.
 
hey i had question about the lab coat orders. Do we mail the check for the coats in the same mail as our deposit and other forms? From what i thought, those coats are being ordered from somewhere separate so do we mail 2 separate mails?
Also for those who filed FaFsa for this year, under where it asks what degree we are going for and what our grade level will be this fall, since i will be in my first of the 4 years in pharmacy, do I put down that I am going for a "graduate/Professional degree" and do i say that for my gradelevel that I am "first year professional" ? I heard that if I put that down then i will not get much financial aid.
THanks
 
Superflyjsc said:
hey i had question about the lab coat orders. Do we mail the check for the coats in the same mail as our deposit and other forms? From what i thought, those coats are being ordered from somewhere separate so do we mail 2 separate mails?
Also for those who filed FaFsa for this year, under where it asks what degree we are going for and what our grade level will be this fall, since i will be in my first of the 4 years in pharmacy, do I put down that I am going for a "graduate/Professional degree" and do i say that for my gradelevel that I am "first year professional" ? I heard that if I put that down then i will not get much financial aid.
THanks
I put first professional year. I believe that you qualify for more loan money when you are in graduate/professional school than when you are in undergrad. Of course, you can't get any grants, but I used up all my grant money for undergrad. I think it may also depend on what information Temple sends back to Fafsa, but I could be wrong. Also I think you send the check for lab coats directly to Sloms and then they are delivered to Temple and handed out during orientation.
 
exliontamer said:
I put first professional year. I believe that you qualify for more loan money when you are in graduate/professional school than when you are in undergrad. Of course, you can't get any grants, but I used up all my grant money for undergrad. I think it may also depend on what information Temple sends back to Fafsa, but I could be wrong. Also I think you send the check for lab coats directly to Sloms and then they are delivered to Temple and handed out during orientation.

you guys should put professional/gruduate program. you have to order your lab coats directly from that company. you will receive your labcoats during the white-coat ceremony. I think it is about 3 weeks into the semester. i dont know what priority they use in acceptance. all i know is they deserved in somewhere or the other. however 50% of my class have BS or BA but other 50% is just as bright and competent. in fact i have a one friend who is just Junior this year in college, kicks my ass in every tests we take.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got in as well--heard on Monday. (only had my interview on April 22nd)

I called yesterday to talk about pre-req's and just in case anyone is curious--if you don't have studies in race elective, and already have a degree, then you can take that course your 3rd year. If you don't have a degree, you have to have it finished by the fall.

As for everyone still waiting to hear, don't worry. They are sending out acceptance letters slowly but surely.
 
Tae
Another question comes to mind. Would you suugest getting a laptop for school? I was thinking about it, and was wondering if it is necessary.
thanks
 
have you guys ordered your coats yet? I dunno which size to pick. Which of those numbers would u guys say is a large? Im like 5'10 160lbs with medium build. I have no idea which one i have to pick that would be a large.
 
In case you were wondering why your deposit check hadn't been cashed yet:
I just talked to admissions. They said they're not going to cash the checks until they register us, which will be the end of May at the earliest.
 
exliontamer said:
Tae
Another question comes to mind. Would you suugest getting a laptop for school? I was thinking about it, and was wondering if it is necessary.
thanks

none of my classmates actually use laptops in class. the desks are way too small. but most of us get a nice MP3 player with lots of storgae that can actually record. i found that extremely helpful. but computer and fast internet connection at home is must!
 
BTB said:
In case you were wondering why your deposit check hadn't been cashed yet:
I just talked to admissions. They said they're not going to cash the checks until they register us, which will be the end of May at the earliest.

that's true. they are not going to cash it for awhile. you can sort of expect that mid june or so. you will get the password for owlnet which able you to see your registration status, financial aide. As soon as you get that password, please please sign up for the direct deposit! I beg you!.
 
what's everyone's AIM, Yahoo or whatever, please pm me if you have those accounts. enjoy your summer.
 
What is the closest GYM with free weights for pharm students to use at Temple?

Also what is the purpose of the MP3 player?

Thanx
 
carlg said:
What is the closest GYM with free weights for pharm students to use at Temple?

Also what is the purpose of the MP3 player?

Thanx

If you got an IPOD, you can buy a recording adaptor to record lectures and stuff. This is much better than buying a regular tape recorder since IPODs and other hard drive based MP3 players have more than 20 GB to store notes.

If you live in the dorms on Temple's main campus, Temple does have a gym. The main campus is about 3 subway stops (From Allegheny to Cecil B. More Station).
 
kwakster928 said:
none of my classmates actually use laptops in class. the desks are way too small. but most of us get a nice MP3 player with lots of storgae that can actually record. i found that extremely helpful. but computer and fast internet connection at home is must!
Justification to use student loans for an iPod 😉

indexclicktop2_20050222.gif
 
rxbobster said:
Anybody had their deposit check cashed yet?

Temple just cashed my deposit check yesterday.

Also, I don't know if anyone else is in the same boat as myself, but I just moved two weeks ago to PA. Anyways, I called yesterday to check and see if they had my new address on file (I had put the new address on the student records form we got with our letter). They said as long as they have the new address on that student records form then everything should be fine since they will be entering that info into the computer system.
 
Where did you guyz go for your immunizations tests and medical examination ( for your chest x-ray and all)? Do they give you the results immediately following the examination or do you have to wait several days?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My aunt who is a pharmacist says that I have to do 1000 hours of pharmacy internship work before I graduate from pharmacy school. Does anyone know whether Temple have these requirements? And if so, can I look for a pharmacy tech job like now or will Temple assign me as soon as I start in the fall?
 
RUN DMV said:
My aunt who is a pharmacist says that I have to do 1000 hours of pharmacy internship work before I graduate from pharmacy school. Does anyone know whether Temple have these requirements? And if so, can I look for a pharmacy tech job like now or will Temple assign me as soon as I start in the fall?

in order to be licensed in PA you are required to complete 1500 internship hours. that is hours you worked after you get your intern license. you have to get a preceptor first and then the form has to be completed by the school before you send it out. 750 hours will come from your 4th year rotations however, the other 750 is all up to you. temple will not assign you any of the jobs that's your responsiblity. they are only obligated to give you the 750 hours. so if you dont work in a pharmacy you better look for job right now. technically this can be done working 2 summers full time, but a lot of places do not want seasonal interns.
 
Congratulations to the incoming class of 2009 at Temple University School of Pharmacy. I apologize for not congratulating you guys earlier. I see that my fellow colleague Tae, is helping everyone. If there are any additional questions you may contact me as well. Congrats again.

-A.Mian
 
Anybody can tell me where to go to get these immunizations forms filled out and get this chest x-ray the quickest way possible? Thank yoU!
 
you can go to your normal family doctor for the immunization forms. As for the chest x-ray, you only need one if you show positive for PPD.