**Official Thread** Cal State Fullerton (CSUF) Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ttja

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ph.png
Home page
Application page
Minimum requirements:
3.0 GPA and first half of General Chemistry completed
Application time: January to April for Fall admission (no Spring admission)
Tracks offered: Academic Finisher & Career Changer
Cost per unit: $450
Cohort capacity: 24 max per year
Admission rate: Unknown, 18 admitted (as observed) in 2014
Success rate: ~88% matriculated into some sort of health-profession schools
Linkages (Requirements):
MD Linkage:
George Washington University
St. George’s University
American University of Antigua

DO Linkages:
Western University of Health Sciences

Pharmacy Linkage:
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine

Optometry Linkage:
Greetings current and future students, applicants, and anyone who is interested in the post bacc program offered at CSU Fullerton!

There are not a lot of threads (recent or old) regarding this program and I want to aggregate all of the information here for convenience and to provide a common place of support for students related to the program in any shape or form. This may be a means to network, to find research positions, to find clinical/shadow/volunteer experience, to find a study group, to receive feedback on the different classes and professors, and whatever other help you may need!

Please introduce yourselves with basic information that can provide viewers some insight into what you feel is your personal qualification to be a post bacc student (and future doctor!): undergrad school, stats, unique experience, and perhaps even why you want to pursue medicine! We are looking to connect to each other on a personal level here, not just to play the numbers game.

As such, feel free to provide answers (which will become valuable sage advice) to any of the questions below if applicable:

1. What is your impression of the program? For alumni, how has the post bacc helped you succeed in matriculating into your health profession program?

2. What work/research/volunteer have you taken outside the classroom while in the program?

3. Which student or non-student organizations do you recommend checking out?

4. Do you have any opportunity for gaining experience that you can offer to the student body here?​

In summation, please use this thread to post/answer all of your inquiries and let us create a special community here. If and when this thread becomes more popular, I will organize the information on a spreadsheet for your convenience. Stay tuned!

Helpful links (taking suggestions!):

Past discussions regarding Fullerton

Volunteering opportunities:
Nhan Hoa Clinic (Garden Grove)

Tags: CSUF, CSU Fullerton, Cal State Fullerton, California State University Fullerton, post-bac, post-bacc, post-baccalaureate, postbaccalaureate, pre-health professions certificate

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
For my introduction:

UC Berkeley, GPA 3.1
B.S. Engineering Physics (2013)

Currently working as a Staff Research Associate at UCSF, Ophthalmology Department.

Why I want to pursue medicine:

I wanted to do a lot of other things before I decided on pursuing medicine, like grad school (took the GRE for this), engineering (EIT certified), or just going into consulting (or something that seems to let 23 year olds make 6 figures...). But after a lot of reflection and gauging my interests and passions, a lot of my experience somehow really motivated me to go on this medical path. I studied electrical engineering and physics, and my focus on microfabrication and nanotechnology led me along these research experience involving bioengineering and other medical related projects. I was researching on developing a medical platform for single cell/DNA/virus detection that focused on detecting circulating tumor cells in bedside colon cancer patients. In addition, I was also developing an alternative method for sanitizing medical equipment in third world clinics. My current work at UCSF involves developing a new, non-invasive method to measure intraocular pressure to help diagnose glaucoma patients. All of these involved my knowledge and experience in engineering but applied in the field of health and medicine. I didn't mean for it to turn out this way but I'm very happy that it did, because it led me find my passion for patient care and my potential impact in medicine. I still very much want to be in the forefront of technology so my current end goal is to become a surgeon since I view it as a profession with a path that crosses with technological development at its core.

That's a little spiel about me. I want to be as transparent as possible with you all and I hope you can reciprocate the same. I have a long way to go and there are too many things I still don't know, but if there is any possibility that I can provide help or insight, please don't hesitate to ask.

I'm starting the post bacc program this Fall, 2014. Due to my undergrad curriculum, I have already finished math, english, general chem, and physics, so I will be taking mainly organical chemistry and biology, plus biochem and other useful upper div courses. I chose Fullerton (I actually applied to only Fullerton...talk about putting all the eggs in one basket) due to its low cost, tons of clinical/research opportunities, linkages, and the fact I can live at home, as to save money.

So who else is starting this fall?? I'd like to make acquaintance with you all.

Update: No longer working as Staff Researcher at UCSF. HOWEVER! Currently researching in a drug discovery lab on campus and shadowing a neurosurgeon and a orthopedics surgeon. That's...about it beside school work.

I also have hobbies :|

Last edited:
Hello. I am a longtime lurker but this is my first post.

Any feedback from those who have completed or are in the program? "Big state school, decent quality, opportunities are there/nobody holds your hand/go get em" ....sum it up?

My application goes out this week. Speaking of which, I have had issues with the Program Application (not the CSUF application)...did anyone else? Basically, it is non-functional. Whenever I apply, it seems to not really transmit an application, or save the data anywhere. Just me?

-Cheers!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, welcome! I'm glad to hear you're applying to the program. Your perception of the school is more or less correct. CSU Fullerton is a rather small school and the money trickles down. The teachers here are great and enthusiastic although I know of only two because I have been here for only a semester and taken only two classes. Having said, I feel like this place is a lot more nurturing, but the experience is what you make of it. Anyway, when you're here, you are a post-bacc and so far it has been very apparent to me that you get treated differently...but in a good way. You are more respected, the TAs and professors have higher expectations out of you which also means they respect you more than the undergrads. Not always, but that's the trend. And you should be everything they expect from you and more! After all, this IS your second time around taking undergraduate courses.

In regards to the specialty of the program, you do get special treatment. Classes are guaranteed (figure out what you want to take and tell the manager waaaay early!) but on the downside, it can be any section and professor, you don't get the luxury of picking. Any opportunities that come through the Health Office is relayed to the post bacc students first so you get the worms before any undergrads do. In addition, you get great counseling with the director of the program, Dr. Goode. She's a very candid person but that will go a long way in really helping you gauge where you stand and what you need to work on. A perk for many others is the camaraderie among the cohort members. You attend seminars together (required, lol), you have your own special facebook page, etc. and you need that sort of group interaction because there is a lot of information and experiences to be shared and the program facilitates that bonding. Plus, classes here are NOT easy. Anywhere you go, work hard.

Some classes here are taught specifically to the post bacc (i.e. organic chem & bio chem) in effort to simulate the same level of load and difficulty similar to that of med schools. Be ready, they will make it especially hard for you.

Anyway, the best thing is the linkages. An invaluable resource that not only (almost) guarantees your admission (granted you meet the requirement) but also saves you the glide year. You can find more about that from the website. Speaking of which, I don't know why it wouldn't work although I've noticed they have been updating the website a little lately so maybe you should speak directly to the manager, Brandy Schaal at [email protected]

So, that was a lot...I just want to be thorough. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Note that some stuff aforementioned was from my personal experience so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Super helpful. Thank you!
I am going to be paying out of state tuition, at least the first year. And I still chose it over Mills. Seems like I can probably get the same results from the experience at Fullerton.

Everything you mentioned sounds good, no surprises.

Linkages...did you? Frankly I think I am condition yellow, undergrad (non sci major) GPA 3.32, but I do have an interesting "story" and some good recommendations. They don't publish the GW MD linkage GPA requirement but I would assume it's higher than what I have. Seems like if I want to link, it'll be Western. I am open to DO but I also know it has it's disadvantages. I am rambling. What I really mean to say is, any personal/"know a friend who" type of experience with CSUF's linkage process that you can share?

Cheers!

Hello again! So a couple of things to mention.

First thing first, there's no tuition! You are technically a part of the Open University department (Exchange Department) so you are only paying for the units. This means you don't have insurance, also you will most likely have to use loans. This will depend on your financial aid needs so apply to FAFSA if you hadn't already. They do not give out grants for the postbacc. Each unit is $450, which is more than the regular $350 but definitely MUCH cheaper than most schools, ESPECIALLY Mills. Holy moly is that school a black hole for your change.

Regarding linkages you can find more about here:
http://www.fullerton.edu/health_professions/StudentResources/linkages/index.asp

And the requirement specifically here:
http://www.fullerton.edu/health_professions/StudentResources/linkages/requirements.asp

I personally have not gone through the linkage process yet nor know anyone who has, but I will soon! Don't worry so much about DO or MD because (I think!) there will be combined board certification so it might not make that much of a difference and the change is either this year or the next. Long before you apply. I heard this from a Western DO adcom person who came to speak about Western. You will have a better understanding of where you stand after you start the program. But in order for you to apply to the linkage you have to go through Fullerton's pre-health department who will approve and recommend you. Then, you will get an interview separately from Western and as long as you show that you've got the grade (in the postbacc program), the minimum MCAT (new requirement to be determined), shadowed a DO for at least 8 hours, and your interest/mindset/philosophy/etc. align with the osteophathic principles, it's practically a 90% shot!

Anyway, check out the requirements. Know that not everything is set in stone. Yes you have to play the number game but there are always exceptions and they really look at you as a whole person so anything and everything matters.

Last edited:
Hey, so I'm applying for CSUF's pre-med post-bacc. Here are my undergrad/application stats, if you're curious:
  • School: UCLA
  • Major: Anthropology, B.A.
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.34
  • Extracurricular activities: hospital/clinic volunteer, lab involvement on campus
  • Letters of rec: 1 from professor, 1 from hospital executive
@Menu, I didn't have any problems with the application itself, but was wondering why there wasn't an option to pay the $100 application fee (separate from the $55 university application fee) online. So far as I know, the program application instructions didn't say to mail a check/money order. Did you have the same issue? I'm going to call tomorrow morning to get it settled.

Here's an open question to anyone who's been accepted to the program: What's the interview like? Please, please be as specific as you can. I'd really appreciate it.

Hello, it feels kind of lonely being the only person from the program replying here but...whatever!!

If you are invited to interview, let me tell you with 99% confidence, you're already in. The interview, at least for me, was an informal meet-n-greet to make sure I wasn't too weird. I came in, we talked about the stuff on my resume such as volunteering experience, research, etc. I know you wanted specific but it is not the sort of intense interview scenario you'd imagine. It really was semicasual and the least of your worries once you've been invited. The program had already accepted me prior to my interview, as the person who interviewed me revealed my acceptance right after the interview--in person.

Having said, treat the interview with the utmost respect and have a professional demeanor. The hurdle here is to not royally messing it up, not to impress.

In any case, I wish you both the best of luck with the application!

Thanks, @ttja! You made me feel much less anxious about the interview process. Hopefully I get there and don't come off as a nutjob.

And I can't stress enough how awesome it is that you're taking the time to do this! Thanks again. I'll keep my eye on this thread and post any helpful info. I can about the application process so that newbies like myself get a feel for it.

Thanks for the kind words @audsal! It's my pleasure to help. And please do keep us updated about your application process.

I know there doesn't seem to be much activity online from people in the program (in part because we mostly post on our FB page and only people from the post bacc can access :| ) but once you are here and meet them in person, they're a great group of people.

Last edited:
Hello!

I'm interested in applying to this program but I am a pre-dental student so I am wondering if anyone has any feedback on whether this program is friendly towards pre-dents (e.g. accepts DAT scores, etc.)

Thanks!

Why, yes! Pre-dental students are more than welcome here. The program is for pre health students in general so in my cohort there are students interested in md, do, dental, pa, and pt (physical therapy). The program recently added linkage to an optometry program with western so, you know, it's a pretty diverse group. Not sure about nursing. I haven't met anyone trying to be a nurse.

Once you're accepted, the advisor will work with you to devise the right curriculum for you, which is probably going to be slightly different from the curriculum posted on the website.

Last edited:
Why, yes! Pre-dental students are more than welcome here. The program is for pre health students in general so in my cohort there are students interested in md, do, dental, pa, and pt (physical therapy). The program recently added linkage to an optometry program with western so, you know, it's a pretty diverse group. Not sure about nursing. I haven't met anyone trying to be a nurse.

Once you're accepted, the advisor will work with you to devise the right curriculum for you, which is probably going to be slightly different from the curriculum posted on the website.

Okay thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Audsal,
I had to work with their IT to get it straightened out. My application was done Jan 6 but a transcript got lost in the mail (I live 7,000 miles west of California) and ended up needing to be re-ordered. So, all my paperwork goes out tomorrow. Embarassing! Hope not too many seats have been filled :-( :-(

How long after submitting did you get the invite? Let us know how it goes. My stats are similar so this should be interesting, to see how we both fare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, fees. Paid both online via CC.
Sorry, I doubt this is helpful for you..

@Menu, oops, sorry if I gave the impression that I scored an interview. I WISH I had. I only submitted my application last week and haven't heard anything since. I got ahead of myself and asked about what the interview process was like. Oh, I sorted out the payment thing. Basically, the app asks for your credit card number, but they make no indication that they charge the account once you click "submit." Not a huge deal, but it would have been nice to have a confirmation of that payment right when it happened (not in an email a few days later).

(On another note, I also applied to Charles Drew, Scripps, USC, and Loyola Marymount around the same time. CSUF is my first choice by a long shot, but I got a lousy [but passing] grade for my most recent calculus class... I'm hoping that won't cripple my application. But if you applied to any of those other schools, PM me and we can keep each other filled in? The same goes for anyone else applying to post baccs in SoCal!)

In any event, acceptance or rejection, I'll keep you all updated!

Yeah, calculus is evil.
Nah, I didn't apply to any of those schools. I wanted to apply to Scripps, but I won't be able move there soon enough, with their early start.
I like California, the weather, the geography, most of the people, really don't want to end up back on the East Coast (originally from there)...so, fingers crossed for Fullerton. It was the only realistic California option.
Wanted to apply to Mills, too, but I had reservations about Oakland, and it's way too expensive, anyway.
I will apply to a few East Coast schools too, because there are a lot of good options that way, but my wife will kill me if I subject her to Northeast winters, so...here's to getting in to CSUF !

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone else receive the email letting applicants know that the admissions committee is meeting on Feb. 6th to review our applications?!

@Menu yep, i knew right away that i wanted to stay in socal. there's nowhere better, but then again, i was born and raised here, so i don't know any better. :) hopefully this friday, csuf takes kindly to our applications.

Yep. Game on!
I guess we made it in to the first review board.
I wonder how many seats they have.
Well, let us know if you get one!
I shaved my very conservative and business-like beard in case I get an interview. I guess my coworkers think I am job hunting. Oh, how fun application games are !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 115
Good luck y'all.

Reactions: 1 users
@ttja keep the good luck wishes coming. i just got an invitation to interview!

Yay! Congrats!! you're practically in!

Phone interview went well but I won't out until next week. :-/
Kinda expected a result now so I am sitting here sort of flustered. Well, good luck to anyone else !

Wait, no. I'm in. Just got the email.
California here we come.

how long after everything is submitted do you start to hear back from admissions about anything? It's been about a month for me and I haven't heard anything yet

Update: My interview went fairly well, and I felt super comfortable with my interviewer (she wanted the whole thing to be very natural and "informal," more like a conversation rather than a probing interview). About two weeks later, I received an email notifying me that I was waitlisted, but CSUF almost always accepts students on the waitlist, provided that they do well on the CPE, complete their degree, etc.

I'm definitely bummed and currently weighing my options at other post-baccs.

@thisone, same thing for me. I had my app done Jan 2, but didn't get reviewed till Feb 6. I would speculate with admittedly no evidence that the next application review committee will be around March 6 and then you'll find out via email shortly thereafter.

Hello, everyone!
I wanted to know what is their acceptance rate?
I have a GPA around 3.3 (B.A in Psychology). years of volunteering experience, hospital service as well. I also went to CSUF as an undergrad.
I want to know what my chances are, because I know they accept only 24 people every year.

what avenues are you informed of interviews/admittance? CSUF email? student portal? application site? just making sure i'm checking everything!

The email address that you did the application with, I mean, the one you initially registered with your application. I never got anything through the student portal or CSUF email. Everything came to the private email address I registered with my application.

what avenues are you informed of interviews/admittance? CSUF email? student portal? application site? just making sure i'm checking everything!

Franky I didn't think I would get an interview, well my gut feeling was "60%" and I got accepted. My stats weren't super different from yours. I would go ahead and take the shot instead of worrying about if you'll hit it.

Hello, everyone!
I wanted to know what is their acceptance rate?
I have a GPA around 3.3 (B.A in Psychology). years of volunteering experience, hospital service as well. I also went to CSUF as an undergrad.
I want to know what my chances are, because I know they accept only 24 people every year.
W

Hi y'all! I'm applying to the program as well. To those of you who are attending/have been accepted, are you/will you be working while in school? Are there any classes offered in the evenings?

I'm going full time and not planning to work. I have a little bit of GI Bill left and would either burn savings or debt for the rest of the cost. My wife will work a little but not enough to pay all the bills. I plan to prioritize grades and MCAT and volunteer work, since the main objective is to get in to med school. All things other than that,
including money, are secondary. Just my thoughts.

ttja, thanks for this thread! Your time is appreciated.

I have a couple questions about the George Washington linkage program.

(1) At what point in the CSUF program can you be accepted into the linkage program? On one page I read that you apply in November of your first year. On another, I read "CSUF Pre-Health Professions Certificate applicants are eligible for consideration once they have completed a full-academic year in the PHPC program". I'm having a bit of trouble reconciling these....does this just mean your application will be pending from the time you file it in November until you complete your first full year?

(2) Is linkage essentially guaranteed admission (assuming that you have been accepted into the linkage program, and have fulfilled all the GPA/MCAT requirements of the linkage program)? Because I know that GWU has one of the 10 lowest med school admissions rates in the country at just 2.9%, so a virtually guaranteed admission there would really be something. On the positive side, even though GWU gets 10,000+ applications per year, they only have linkages with a mere 11 schools and CSUF is one of them.

(3) Do you know what percent of CSUF postbacc's get GWU linkage/admission? Because the "~88% matriculated into some sort of health-profession schools" stat obviously includes more than just the pre-M.D. postbacc's, so I'm left wondering what the success rate of the pre-M.D. postbacc's is, and if CSUF has a reason for not straighforwardly giving this bit of info on their site...

Again, thanks for your time! I have signed up for an information session at CSUF but I couldn't wait to ask these burning questions about the GWU linkage.

Last edited:
For people currently in the program, question.
How does the initial registration/advising work? I am far away from Fullerton and I won't physically be living there until August 1.
Is there any pre-registration advising or meetings that need to be attended?
I'm not trying to transfer anything or do anything crazy, so assume my first semester is the standard bio/chem/fizz like on the website.
I suppose I can also figure out by myself how to register, too.
BUT...it would be nice to know if there is anything that happens from the programs end, before registration. I tend to worry about things for no reason and now this is one of them.
Save me from this trouble !!

Hey @Menu I'll be in the next cohort, and I received a study plan (that I had to sign) that laid out the first year of classes I'm taking, plus a few program expectations. I'm a "career-changer," so I'm starting with the basics. First semester is gen bio, gen chem, and physics. They pretty much start you off with the classes you need and then my guess is advising will start at orientation....

BUT! We have to officially register for the specific classes/sections they've assigned us. I'm still a little confused, but basically we input the registration numbers in the search bar at the top right of the program home page and follow the instructions? Hope this helps?

Looking forward to meeting you bro!

@KBT Hello! I'm a career changer, too. Maybe you and I are gonna be the old guys?
Yeah, I got the same set of stuff. I'm all set now.
The registration process, yes, just input those numbers, that's what I am thinking.
Maybe we can talk a little more on the PM, as we navigate our way through the beginning of all this.
Cheers!

Is anyone here applying this cycle?

Good luck y'all.

Hello, ttja! How is the program treating you so far? Do you like your professors? Quality of education? Overall student atmosphere?
I'm a little concerned that you can't choose instructors.

I just submitted my application and I would love to hear any suggestions/tips you might have.

Thank you!

Hello, ttja! How is the program treating you so far? Do you like your professors? Quality of education? Overall student atmosphere?

I just submitted my application and I would love to hear any suggestions/tips you might have.

Thank you!

Hi MedSun!

I'm glad to hear your interest in the program. I have been out of it for about 2 years now so take what I say with a grain of salt.

How is the program treating you so far?
Having said, I have been in contact with the administration regarding my application process and they have been nothing but helpful. Even during my time there I had a lot of opportunities to raise concern or talk with the administration about my personal needs. So in terms of receiving support and guidance, I have no doubt they will support you as well as anyone else.

Do you like your professors? Quality of education?
I was impressed with the education. You get good and bad professors at any school, but, in my experience, the education I received was on par with what I had received while I attended Berkeley. In fact, I would say the professors here at CSUF gave me a lot more attention. Such is the benefit of the Cal State system, they heavily emphasize the teaching portion. Most professors are extremely approachable, so I encourage you to talk to them. Many in the Bio and Chemistry department are well-acquainted with medical school applicants so they can definitely offer sage-advice.

Overall student atmosphere?
Definitely felt like I belonged in the "old people" club. Understand that the undergrads at CSUF tend to come from more underserved backgrounds so they aren't usually equipped with the learning skills and may not be at the same caliber as the students at your university (definitely not all of them, of course). By now you are older, more experienced, and more determined in your course of study compared to many of the other students in your class. You will probably click more with your cohort. I won't claim to know the reasons but it seems like letting the administration pick your class for you is probably in your best interest. You will be grouped with your cohort to build stronger camaraderie. Plus, there are A LOT of students so it's really hard to get into the particular class you want, and you do not want to stay longer than you need to because you have to wait another semester to get into a class. Again, you will probably get pretty good professors so don't worry about it.

. Talk to the administration often to monitor your progress and see what they can do to help you in your particular case as a non-traditional applicant.
. Get this book: The Medical School Interview. "That's a bit early," you may wonder. However, I truly wish I had this resource earlier because it describes what medical schools are looking for (particularly in what you get out of your experience) so you can start to really focus on the important aspects of what you do and be able to get more insights from them.
. Get a set of MCAT books. If anything, they will serve as concise guide books for your learning. You can review them as you go along your studies. Additionally, the program may or may not have Psychology/Sociology class included and you need to start looking at it as soon as possible. Don't let other people tell you it's too early to start looking at the MCAT. The more often you've seen something, the better you are at recalling them and hopefully the better you are at making connections between different topics. It sounds overwhelming but if you can just commit to a reasonable amount at a time, you will be much better off when the test comes around.
. The program won't immediately set you up with doctors to shadow. But it can easily be done if you just come in and ask. They have doctors on file who are willing to let the students from the program shadow them.
. If you're doing the full program, understand that it's hard have full-time or even part-time work concurrently. That was my experience, and I really had to manage my time better. If you can spare the time, beef up your clinical and volunteering experience. For clinical, you can do shadowing or volunteering at a hospital. You should also do some non-medical volunteering also (some AMAZING programs that I've done are: America On Track (mentoring kids with really adverse backgrounds), and hospice (pick whichever one in your area)).
. Get letters. The professors at CSUF are really friendly so get to know them. You should be able to get more from other extracurricular activities. Furthermore, keep a regular journal at whatever thing you end up doing (usually include what you did, how you reacted to it, and your reflection on the experience as it relates to how it helps you mature or provides insight).
. Friendly faculty should also allow you to gain research experience. Again, look around for something you like and take the initiative to talk to that professor/PI.

Misc. Tips:
. Get to school early. Parking pass is expensive, and it feels worse when you pay that much and not get a good parking spot. I think there's still construction going on around the school so learn the best way to get to school. Traffic in and out of Fullerton is usually congested regardless, so come early and leave late for the best driving experience.
. Some classes offer SI (it's like discussion sessions) which are led by trained students. They're amazing and an important resource for supplemental learning. There are usually multiple sessions so you should go to as many as you can.
. There are some nice student organizations. I didn't join one so I can't speak to their utility.
. There are a lot of restaurants around school and in Brea. I like Thai Basil, Pizza Press, Dog Haus, etc.
. Check out their linkages early on so you can meet the requirements (if you're interested) and file for application early.
. If you're invited to an interview, I would say you're 99% in. They already accept you with the condition you don't appear like a potential serial killer (or any other red flag) during the interview.
. CSUF has a pre-health committee, who will be writing a committee letter on your behalf. They will send out a letter packet which will include the committee letter + letters from other writers. Most med schools require this and will question you if you don't provide a committee letter if the service is available. If you can, it's probably best to get previous letter writers (people you won't interact much anymore) to send their letter in to the school to keep on file. There are some formats that the CSUF wants and you can look for it online or ask the admin when you get in.

That's all I can think for now. Let me know if you have any other questions, whether it's about the program, Fullerton, or application process, and I'll be more than happy to answer them as best I can!

Good luck! I know you will enjoy your time here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I applied this cycle as well! :) Have either of you heard back?

I'm thinking about doing this...is it just essentially taking classes with other undergrads? I've already done all the prereqs and many upper division science classes so I'm not sure how this would look for me. How many credit units did you take per semester?

Even though I'm talking to myself here....I just got an interview invitation today!

Hi MedSun!

I'm glad to hear your interest in the program. I have been out of it for about 2 years now so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Having said, I have been in contact with the administration regarding my application process and they have been nothing but helpful. Even during my time there I had a lot of opportunities to raise concern or talk with the administration about my personal needs. So in terms of receiving support and guidance, I have no doubt they will support you as well as anyone else.

I was impressed with the education. You get good and bad professors at any school, but, in my experience, the education I received was on par with what I had received while I attended Berkeley. In fact, I would say the professors here at CSUF gave me a lot more attention. Such is the benefit of the Cal State system, they heavily emphasize the teaching portion. Most professors are extremely approachable, so I encourage you to talk to them. Many in the Bio and Chemistry department are well-acquainted with medical school applicants so they can definitely offer sage-advice.

Definitely felt like I belonged in the "old people" club. Understand that the undergrads at CSUF tend to come from more underserved backgrounds so they aren't usually equipped with the learning skills and may not be at the same caliber as the students at your university (definitely not all of them, of course). By now you are older, more experienced, and more determined in your course of study compared to many of the other students in your class. You will probably click more with your cohort. I won't claim to know the reasons but it seems like letting the administration pick your class for you is probably in your best interest. You will be grouped with your cohort to build stronger camaraderie. Plus, there are A LOT of students so it's really hard to get into the particular class you want, and you do not want to stay longer than you need to because you have to wait another semester to get into a class. Again, you will probably get pretty good professors so don't worry about it.

. Talk to the administration often to monitor your progress and see what they can do to help you in your particular case as a non-traditional applicant.
. Get this book: The Medical School Interview. "That's a bit early," you may wonder. However, I truly wish I had this resource earlier because it describes what medical schools are looking for (particularly in what you get out of your experience) so you can start to really focus on the important aspects of what you do and be able to get more insights from them.
. Get a set of MCAT books. If anything, they will serve as concise guide books for your learning. You can review them as you go along your studies. Additionally, the program may or may not have Psychology/Sociology class included and you need to start looking at it as soon as possible. Don't let other people tell you it's too early to start looking at the MCAT. The more often you've seen something, the better you are at recalling them and hopefully the better you are at making connections between different topics. It sounds overwhelming but if you can just commit to a reasonable amount at a time, you will be much better off when the test comes around.
. The program won't immediately set you up with doctors to shadow. But it can easily be done if you just come in and ask. They have doctors on file who are willing to let the students from the program shadow them.
. If you're doing the full program, understand that it's hard have full-time or even part-time work concurrently. That was my experience, and I really had to manage my time better. If you can spare the time, beef up your clinical and volunteering experience. For clinical, you can do shadowing or volunteering at a hospital. You should also do some non-medical volunteering also (some AMAZING programs that I've done are: America On Track (mentoring kids with really adverse backgrounds), and hospice (pick whichever one in your area)).
. Get letters. The professors at CSUF are really friendly so get to know them. You should be able to get more from other extracurricular activities. Furthermore, keep a regular journal at whatever thing you end up doing (usually include what you did, how you reacted to it, and your reflection on the experience as it relates to how it helps you mature or provides insight).
. Friendly faculty should also allow you to gain research experience. Again, look around for something you like and take the initiative to talk to that professor/PI.

Misc. Tips:
. Get to school early. Parking pass is expensive, and it feels worse when you pay that much and not get a good parking spot. I think there's still construction going on around the school so learn the best way to get to school. Traffic in and out of Fullerton is usually congested regardless, so come early and leave late for the best driving experience.
. Some classes offer SI (it's like discussion sessions) which are led by trained students. They're amazing and an important resource for supplemental learning. There are usually multiple sessions so you should go to as many as you can.
. There are some nice student organizations. I didn't join one so I can't speak to their utility.
. There are a lot of restaurants around school and in Brea. I like Thai Basil, Pizza Press, Dog Haus, etc.
. Check out their linkages early on so you can meet the requirements (if you're interested) and file for application early.
. If you're invited to an interview, I would say you're 99% in. They already accept you with the condition you don't appear like a potential serial killer (or any other red flag) during the interview.
. CSUF has a pre-health committee, who will be writing a committee letter on your behalf. They will send out a letter packet which will include the committee letter + letters from other writers. Most med schools require this and will question you if you don't provide a committee letter if the service is available. If you can, it's probably best to get previous letter writers (people you won't interact much anymore) to send their letter in to the school to keep on file. There are some formats that the CSUF wants and you can look for it online or ask the admin when you get in.

That's all I can think for now. Let me know if you have any other questions, whether it's about the program, Fullerton, or application process, and I'll be more than happy to answer them as best I can!

Good luck! I know you will enjoy your time here.

I just realized that I never thanked you for this wonderful post. THANK YOU! It was very helpful.
I hope you're doing well with your studies!

I just realized that I never thanked you for this wonderful post. THANK YOU! It was very helpful.
I hope you're doing well with your studies!

Hey! Lol thanks for your kind words. I got into Western Michigan University, so I'm heading there this Fall! :) As always, I'm more than happy to provide any insights or answers to questions you all may have.

Reactions: 1 users
Even though I'm talking to myself here....I just got an interview invitation today!

I totally didn't see this at first. Congrats!! You're so so very close! Good luck, be yourself, and have fun at the interview.