**Official Thread** Cal State Fullerton (CSUF) Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! Lol thanks for your kind words. I got into Western Michigan University, so I'm heading there this Fall! :) As always, I'm more than happy to provide any insights or answers to questions you all may have.
This is AMAZING!! Congratulations!!

Members don't see this ad.

I totally didn't see this at first. Congrats!! You're so so very close! Good luck, be yourself, and have fun at the interview.
Thank you very much! Were you interviewed by Brandy Schaal? And do you remember how long was the interview? What kind of questions were asked?
Thanks again!

Thank you very much! Were you interviewed by Brandy Schaal? And do you remember how long was the interview? What kind of questions were asked?
Thanks again!

Woot woot! The program really does its best to matriculate the post-bac students to med schools.

I was indeed interviewed by Brandy who is super friendly. The interview must have lasted 10-20 minutes. She asked me personal questions pertaining to the things I put down on my application, so make sure you review and prepare to talk about everything you said. For example, I volunteered at a acupuncture clinic so we discussed about that. Again, getting the interview means you're 99% there! Brandy just wants to put a face to the name to make sure you're the same awesome person she thought you were when inviting you to interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Woot woot! The program really does its best to matriculate the post-bac students to med schools.

I was indeed interviewed by Brandy who is super friendly. The interview must have lasted 10-20 minutes. She asked me personal questions pertaining to the things I put down on my application, so make sure you review and prepare to talk about everything you said. For example, I volunteered at a acupuncture clinic so we discussed about that. Again, getting the interview means you're 99% there! Brandy just wants to put a face to the name to make sure you're the same awesome person she thought you were when inviting you to interview.

Thank you for this! 99% is really giving me hope!
I actually met Brandy a few times already ( I did my undergrad at CSUF). I went to 2 info sessions and also spoke to her during our one-to-one appointments. The last appointment was very recent...so hopefully she still likes me :)

Hey y'all, thanks for updating this thread - I'm new here on Student Doctor Network. I stumbled across this forum when I first started researching CSUF's program last year and everything you've mentioned has been super helpful! Just received an invitation for an interview (I sent in the application up until the deadline :uhno:) and honestly thought I wasn't going to hear back.

@ttja: Also attended Berkeley for undergrad (Go Bears!). Congrats on heading to Western Michigan. It's super encouraging to hear that this program was a stepping stone in helping you successfully matriculate into medical school.

@MedSun: it sounds like you haven't interviewed yet either? I'm totally nervous but I'm glad to connect with someone who is going through the same boat!

Go Bears, @cocolabelle13! Lovely to see another Berkeley grad; there wasn't any other in my year. We would love to hear a bit about your background, as well as @MedSun 's too, if possible for camaraderie sake. At any rate, good luck to both of you on your interviews soon :)

Also, I hope you guys will consider WMed in the future!

Last edited:
Hey y'all, thanks for updating this thread - I'm new here on Student Doctor Network. I stumbled across this forum when I first started researching CSUF's program last year and everything you've mentioned has been super helpful! Just received an invitation for an interview (I sent in the application up until the deadline :uhno:) and honestly thought I wasn't going to hear back.

@ttja: Also attended Berkeley for undergrad (Go Bears!). Congrats on heading to Western Michigan. It's super encouraging to hear that this program was a stepping stone in helping you successfully matriculate into medical school.

@MedSun: it sounds like you haven't interviewed yet either? I'm totally nervous but I'm glad to connect with someone who is going through the same boat!

Congratulations on your interview!! When is it? Mine is next Monday:) I'm so happy to know I'm not alone here.

I did my undergrad at CSUF, graduated with BA in psych a year ago. I'm planning to become a psychiatrist in the future.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, mine is next Monday as well! 4 pm. Also did Psych at UC Berkeley, been out for a while now (Class of 2013). Not sure about a specialty yet but I'm interested in Emergency Medicine/Trauma, or Neurology.

So awesome! I'm right before you at 330pm:) we'll probably see each other there!

Hi there!

I'm new to the thread but I'm also interviewing for the program next wednesday! Good luck @cocolabelle13 and @MedSun ! I also graduated in May 2016 with my BA in psych, hoping to be a psychiatrist in the future. Hope to meet you all soon! :)

Hi there!

I'm new to the thread but I'm also interviewing for the program next wednesday! Good luck @cocolabelle13 and @MedSun ! I also graduated in May 2016 with my BA in psych, hoping to be a psychiatrist in the future. Hope to meet you all soon! :)

Best of luck to you! Next week can't come soon enough:)

Good luck @MedSun @taylormade38 @cocolabelle13 !!! I'm about to complete my first year in the post-bacc at CSUF and can help answer questions you all might have :)

Hi!! Thank you for taking your time to do this.
I have a question:) How does your class schedule look like? What days you have off? and what time your classes usually end? I'm assuming you're doing this program full-time.
Also, how is the program treating you overall?

Thank you again!

ttja, how long did you have to wait for your acceptance email? Or did Brandy tell you right away?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!! Thank you for taking your time to do this.
I have a question:) How does your class schedule look like? What days you have off? and what time your classes usually end? I'm assuming you're doing this program full-time.
Also, how is the program treating you overall?

Thank you again!

The first year you have class everyday if you are a full-time student. Your schedule varies if you are part-time or if you have already taken a previous class. My earliest class has been 9 a.m and some days were I had lab I was done around 5:20 p.m.

I am really enjoying the program as I have learned to work well with my cohort, classmates, and professors. I like knowing that I dont have to worry about fighting for a seat in a class because the program makes your schedules. I just took my last two finals today and a few of us met after to celebrate our first year with Korean BBQ!

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck to everyone who is interviewing this week! :highfive:

I just got accepted!!!:clap::love::zip:

I just got accepted!!!:clap::love::zip:

Niceeeee!!!! Woot woot! Congrats!!! This is a really big beginning step, and you've got a lot of people supporting you. Good luck and congrats again!

Niceeeee!!!! Woot woot! Congrats!!! This is a really big beginning step, and you've got a lot of people supporting you. Good luck and congrats again!
Thank you!!!! I'm so excited:) I already want to make a Facebook page

Aid comes in the form of federal student aids. You will have to take out loans as an 'undergrad' still. I maxed out my loans prior to attending so I paid out of pocket. If you haven't reached the cap, they'll probably suggest you take out from that. Nothing too helpful here. Sorry :|

Cost is $450/unit and they will tell you how many units you'll be taking each semester.

Oh wow, thanks for letting me know about maxing out loans - do you mean in terms of your undergraduate education at Berkeley?
Yeah, I took out as much money as the government allowed in undergrad so I couldn't take any more to pay for post bacc, which the fed gov views as an extension of undergrad. If you don't have enough to pay, you might want to look into private lenders like your bank. I worked part time to keep up with cost.

If and when you go to med school, this money will seem like just a number.

Does this include loans that your parents took out during undergrad? I would imagine so since parent loans are part of the financial aid package, but just checking. I'll have to really look into this now. How early did you know about having maxed out the number of loans you could get prior to you starting the program?

I applaud you for working part-time! It's encouraging that you were able to keep up with the demands of school and still work.
So I found out first day of school...you have a grace period. I went into the financial aid office and was told the awesome news. I had also worked a year before so I got some emergency money to pay for the initial cost.

Thank you for the kind words! But I was also doing the post bacc part time, so it worked out well. I spent the extra time to work, shadow physicians, and study for the mcat.

78d9e34a96bc39faab3f3cd1938d0b93.jpg
this semester just started...already questioning my intelligence. This is normal, right? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

78d9e34a96bc39faab3f3cd1938d0b93.jpg
this semester just started...already questioning my intelligence. This is normal, right? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
That's a feeling you'll have for the next forever.

Are there stats of students who are accepted into the program? Roughly how many students per cycle?

Are there stats of students who are accepted into the program? Roughly how many students per cycle?
Yes, usually around 200-250 apply each year. This cycle 24 people got accepted (cohort 10) :)

Yes, usually around 200-250 apply each year. This cycle 24 people got accepted (cohort 10) :)

Wow, that's just about 10% acceptance. I have decent grades, but my clinical experience has been lacking, so I worry about my chances.

Wow, that's just about 10% acceptance. I have decent grades, but my clinical experience has been lacking, so I worry about my chances.
You still have time till January to gain some clinical experience. The most important part besides grades is to know why you want to pursue a career in medicine. Your statement has to reflect your passion.

Hi everyone! I’m currently in my junior year at CSUF and am pursuing a BA in psychology. I’ve felt very lost all throughout college and about what I want to do once I graduate but I’ve recently been thinking about pursuing a career in psychiatry. I thought about just starting the pre-reqs as soon as possible to start preparing for med school but felt that the program would provide more guidance. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations as to what I can do to become a strong candidate. I realize clinical experience is important but I don’t really know how to get my foot in the door. Also, I have a pretty good GPA (3.9 cumulative) but realize that would not be enough to guarantee admission. My last concern is I have doubts about being able to handle the science courses that make up the curriculum of this program and medical school. I took bio, physics, and chemistry in high school and really struggled with physics and then just took a general bio lecture with a lab in community college that was kind of a joke (the lecture at least) and I just feel very unprepared and lost..haha
Did anybody else feel this way as well?
Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated, thank you!
P.s. I have not completely made up my mind as to whether I am going to pursue this education path...I guess I’m just looking for some advice and guidance as well as attempting to explore my options:bag:

Hi everyone! I’m currently in my junior year at CSUF and am pursuing a BA in psychology. I’ve felt very lost all throughout college and about what I want to do once I graduate but I’ve recently been thinking about pursuing a career in psychiatry. I thought about just starting the pre-reqs as soon as possible to start preparing for med school but felt that the program would provide more guidance. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations as to what I can do to become a strong candidate. I realize clinical experience is important but I don’t really know how to get my foot in the door. Also, I have a pretty good GPA (3.9 cumulative) but realize that would not be enough to guarantee admission. My last concern is I have doubts about being able to handle the science courses that make up the curriculum of this program and medical school. I took bio, physics, and chemistry in high school and really struggled with physics and then just took a general bio lecture with a lab in community college that was kind of a joke (the lecture at least) and I just feel very unprepared and lost..haha
P.s. I have not completely made up my mind as to whether I am going to pursue this education path...I guess I’m just looking for some advice and guidance as well as attempting to explore my options:bag:

As with any big career decisions, especially within the medical field, you have to consider two things: 1) do you love it? and 2) are you good at it? Starting a path into medicine, beginning with med school, is a real time/money/emotional investment. So first, I encourage you, if you are thinking of psychiatry, to shadow a psychiatrist. Do your research and really affirm that this is the path you want to go forward (at least for sure it's medicine).

Secondly, make sure you can handle the rigor. Take a few more of the prereqs and see how you fare.

Third, I would also try talking to the Pre-Health office so you can have a mentor or at least an official guide.

You're starting out fairly new so don't feel rushed into committing anything! Take it one step at a time. Good luck!

EDIT: Also, the medical field really needs psychiatrists. So kudos to you if that's what you want to pursue! Congrats on that 3.9, btw. Keep that up with your science classes, do well on your eventual MCAT, and you'll be golden at least with stats.

Last edited:
As with any big career decisions, especially within the medical field, you have to consider two things: 1) do you love it? and 2) are you good at it? Starting a path into medicine, beginning with med school, is a real time/money/emotional investment. So first, I encourage you, if you are thinking of psychiatry, to shadow a psychiatrist. Do your research and really affirm that this is the path you want to go forward (at least for sure it's medicine).

Secondly, make sure you can handle the rigor. Take a few more of the prereqs and see how you fare.

Third, I would also try talking to the Pre-Health office so you can have a mentor or at least an official guide.

You're starting out fairly new so don't feel rushed into committing anything! Take it one step at a time. Good luck!

EDIT: Also, the medical field really needs psychiatrists. So kudos to you if that's what you want to pursue! Congrats on that 3.9, btw. Keep that up with your science classes, do well on your eventual MCAT, and you'll be golden at least with stats.

Thank you for your response! I recently signed up for a biopsych class for next semester and I’m hoping that will give me some insight into how I will fare in other science-related courses. As for taking pre-reqs I think that is what I’m going to do so that I can make sure I can handle it. I really do want to make sure that this is what i really want to do before committing to anything:nailbiting:

Thank you for your response! I recently signed up for a biopsych class for next semester and I’m hoping that will give me some insight into how I will fare in other science-related courses. As for taking pre-reqs I think that is what I’m going to do so that I can make sure I can handle it. I really do want to make sure that this is what i really want to do before committing to anything:nailbiting:

You can do it! Do you have any other questions or concerns?

For shadowing, I think the pre-health office can try to connect you but, if not, you might have to contact doctors/residents on your own. It seems a bit tough since what psychiatrists do tend to be more on the patient confidentiality side. You may still interview psychiatrists though and learn from what they say.

I'd say don't do your post-bacc at CSUF. I'm cohort 8, and I got in to med school, but most of the pre meds in my cohort either left, got pushed back a year, didn't get the MCAT score in time, there has been serious attrition. If you can afford it, try a program with stronger infrastructure, and by that I mean structure, advising, links to opportunities for professional development. It may have been a "program" at one point, I feel now it is more of a "guaranteed classes for a little bit higher of a tuition payment." It worked for me, barely, but I am way atypical as far as life experience and skill set goes.

I'd say don't do your post-bacc at CSUF. I'm cohort 8, and I got in to med school, but most of the pre meds in my cohort either left, got pushed back a year, didn't get the MCAT score in time, there has been serious attrition. If you can afford it, try a program with stronger infrastructure, and by that I mean structure, advising, links to opportunities for professional development. It may have been a "program" at one point, I feel now it is more of a "guaranteed classes for a little bit higher of a tuition payment." It worked for me, barely, but I am way atypical as far as life experience and skill set goes.

I disagree. Very few post-bac programs have straight shot to medical school programs, and even then there are selection processes in place to take people likely to have gotten into medical school in the first place. It's not as simply as having money. There are also very few post-bac programs around Southern California. The UC system has one but that's also very competitive and they only take people with certain URM criteria. While the cost/unit seems costly, it is a lot lower relative to other post-bac. Cost of living must be taken into account too. Many people going to the post-bac program do have family locally and can avoid the cost of rent/food/etc. There are many many reasons why people may drop out of the program, and unless you know exactly why, don't point fingers at any particular party.

I don't think you should simply say "don't come". It's more informative and helpful if you can list the reasons why you feel the program is lacking. Recognizing that everyone's path is different and a post-bac program can only take an applicant so far, you should also not give the impression that a post-bacc program is a guaranteed ticket to any medical school.

Again, the point of this is to provide information and insights so people can make informed decisions. I understand the advising component can be better but it's not the only aspect of the program. I wholeheartedly believe most of the professors at CSUF are excellent at teaching, and there is a strong focus on student success. The research program there is also very strong and post-bacc students can be involved in high quality research. Many of these PIs can serve as mentors as well.

Lastly, I just want to emphasize the individual component of this whole process. You have to take the initiative and own your path to medical school. Expecting others to handhold you through the process is foolhardy and not conducive to your character and professional development. Can you do all of this without enrolling in the program? Sure, but everything has its own set of challenges.

I disagree. Very few post-bac programs have straight shot to medical school programs, and even then there are selection processes in place to take people likely to have gotten into medical school in the first place. It's not as simply as having money. There are also very few post-bac programs around Southern California. The UC system has one but that's also very competitive and they only take people with certain URM criteria. While the cost/unit seems costly, it is a lot lower relative to other post-bac. Cost of living must be taken into account too. Many people going to the post-bac program do have family locally and can avoid the cost of rent/food/etc. There are many many reasons why people may drop out of the program, and unless you know exactly why, don't point fingers at any particular party.

I don't think you should simply say "don't come". It's more informative and helpful if you can list the reasons why you feel the program is lacking. Recognizing that everyone's path is different and a post-bac program can only take an applicant so far, you should also not give the impression that a post-bacc program is a guaranteed ticket to any medical school.

Again, the point of this is to provide information and insights so people can make informed decisions. I understand the advising component can be better but it's not the only aspect of the program. I wholeheartedly believe most of the professors at CSUF are excellent at teaching, and there is a strong focus on student success. The research program there is also very strong and post-bacc students can be involved in high quality research. Many of these PIs can serve as mentors as well.

Lastly, I just want to emphasize the individual component of this whole process. You have to take the initiative and own your path to medical school. Expecting others to handhold you through the process is foolhardy and not conducive to your character and professional development. Can you do all of this without enrolling in the program? Sure, but everything has its own set of challenges.

Valid points, what I will say is, if you can afford to attend, and can get in to, a program with more (quantity) and better established (quality) linkages with medical schools, do that. I think there are few of these in Southern California, so it comes down to what can you afford, where can you go. I will say, for the money, CSUF is a solid post bacc value. Good cost-performance.

Valid points, what I will say is, if you can afford to attend, and can get in to, a program with more (quantity) and better established (quality) linkages with medical schools, do that. I think there are few of these in Southern California, so it comes down to what can you afford, where can you go. I will say, for the money, CSUF is a solid post bacc value. Good cost-performance.

And by the way, I know all the reasons that everyone that quit or fell back due to. Many, not all but many, would have been preemptively "handled" by a more structured, resourceful, and strongerly (I know that's not a real word) advised program. I'm not saying CSUF is bad. I'm saying it's not a one-shot solution like some of the other programs are.

Hello all, wanted to share my story, as someone who applied to CSUF postbacc program a few years back!

I had hoped to apply the previous year but had missed the deadline and was essentially standing still waiting to get in. I had an amazing CV/grades/etc. and when I didn't get in, I was shocked. I called the program and said "I am x... I have this (high) GPA... I just got denied.. is this a mistake?" The person on the phone thought it had to be a mistake (I really had a strong application) and connected me with someone from the program. She said that from my application it "didn't seem like wanted to be a physician very much..." that "my grades were not the issue..." that I hadn't proven I was even good in the sciences and that "psychology is a soft science" and my success in the field essentially didn't count. I decided then that when I had proven myself, I would share my story.

I went to another state school and applied for a second bachelors in biology. Between grants and scholarships, I hardly paid anything. I took all the premed classes, got involved in an amazing research program, volunteered, etc., all on my own. I was first generation to college, didn't know a single physician besides my prior pediatrician, and simply googled my way through the requirements...

I applied to 14 MD programs and got into 7 medical schools, 3 of which were top twenty, and two Ivy League... damn you Harvard for waitlisting me lol. I am about to finish medical school at an AMAZING university that works with some of the most advanced hospitals in the country. Through my program, I get the opportunity to learn from Nobel Prize winners and people who developed the pharma/techniques that are the current gold standard in medicine.

They didn't see potential. I relied on myself. I killed it. There are other options than post-bacc programs. If someone slams the door on you, kick that **** down.

Hello all, wanted to share my story, as someone who applied to CSUF postbacc program a few years back!

I had hoped to apply the previous year but had missed the deadline and was essentially standing still waiting to get in. I had an amazing CV/grades/etc. and when I didn't get in, I was shocked. I called the program and said "I am x... I have this (high) GPA... I just got denied.. is this a mistake?" The person on the phone thought it had to be a mistake (I really had a strong application) and connected me with someone from the program. She said that from my application it "didn't seem like wanted to be a physician very much..." that "my grades were not the issue..." that I hadn't proven I was even good in the sciences and that "psychology is a soft science" and my success in the field essentially didn't count. I decided then that when I had proven myself, I would share my story.

I went to another state school and applied for a second bachelors in biology. Between grants and scholarships, I hardly paid anything. I took all the premed classes, got involved in an amazing research program, volunteered, etc., all on my own. I was first generation to college, didn't know a single physician besides my prior pediatrician, and simply googled my way through the requirements...

I applied to 14 MD programs and got into 7 medical schools, 3 of which were top twenty, and two Ivy League... damn you Harvard for waitlisting me lol. I am about to finish medical school at an AMAZING university that works with some of the most advanced hospitals in the country. Through my program, I get the opportunity to learn from Nobel Prize winners and people who developed the pharma/techniques that are the current gold standard in medicine.

They didn't see potential. I relied on myself. I killed it. There are other options than post-bacc programs. If someone slams the door on you, kick that **** down.

That doesn't make any sense. What do they mean by it seemed you didn't want to be a physician or that you hadn't proved you were good at the sciences? I thought the whole idea of doing a career changing post bacc was to get exposed to those pre-req classes? Did they tell you what the wanted to see?

Has anyone heard back yet? Or is the program filled already?

Has anyone heard back yet? Or is the program filled already?

Hello :)

I applied on the literal last day, heard back a week later about an interview and have my interview this Friday! I know before I applied, I spoke with Brandy about how many people were already accepted into the program since I was applying so late and at the time, she said there has only been a few people accepted. So my fingers are crossed and I am hoping for the best!

Hello :)

I applied on the literal last day, heard back a week later about an interview and have my interview this Friday! I know before I applied, I spoke with Brandy about how many people were already accepted into the program since I was applying so late and at the time, she said there has only been a few people accepted. So my fingers are crossed and I am hoping for the best!
DONNNNT GOOOO HERE!!!!!!!!

Sure, listen to the person who hasn’t gone through the professional school application process. They can tell you how well the program will prepare you for it :-/

I had my interview last Monday! It was pretty short. 15 minutes tops. Brandy told me that at the interview point, I would either by accepted or waitlisted. Good luck to everyone!

Don’t listen to him. I’m cohort 10 and I love this program:)

Oh great!! I really hope so. Every other program is pretty far from where I live :/.

Sure, listen to the person who hasn’t gone through the professional school application process. They can tell you how well the program will prepare you for it :-/

Damn. It seems everyone has had a different experience. What made you unprepared? Are you in medical school now?

I had my interview last Monday! It was pretty short. 15 minutes tops. Brandy told me that at the interview point, I would either by accepted or waitlisted. Good luck to everyone!

Awesome!! I hope for the best. Mine is tomorrow! I wonder how long before you hear back!

Oh great!! I really hope so. Every other program is pretty far from where I live :/.

Damn. It seems everyone has had a different experience. What made you unprepared? Are you in medical school now?

Awesome!! I hope for the best. Mine is tomorrow! I wonder how long before you hear back!

I’ll PM you.