*** Official U of T in memphis Acceptance thread 2009 cycle***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shreya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i thought it was about time to create this thread :)

CLass of 2013 unite!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

wow i didnot know i was the only one accpeted to memphis....SWEET! :(

It's the holidays....I don't think people will be responding much.

Members don't see this ad :)
just found out i got approved for the Arkansas higher education grant but other than that still waiting!!! what about u?

Got an invite to interview at Meharry, but I turned that down. Nashville would be a better city for me, since I have friends there...but tuition would double and I'd have to get my own place. Other than that, I'm just trying to plan a vacation before moving to Memphis.

Congrats on getting the grant!! I'm working on submitting my fafsa and getting my immunization records together to finish up the pre-registration stuff.

yeah i agree , nashville might be a little more expensive. I had interviewd there before coming to UT but i really like UT. There is more diversity in UT then MMC.

yeah i want to take a vacation as well..

I just payed for the criminal background check and now going to get everything togther for immunization records. so do u know when r we gonna have our orientation?

Anyone who had an interview after the first of the year heard anything or called?

Anyone who had an interview after the first of the year heard anything or called?
I interviewed on 1/9. they told us that the earliest we would hear anything would be mid to end of February.

Admissions committee only meets a few times. like once pre dec, and 2 or 3 more times between jan and april...

I have no idea about orientation. I'm sure we'll hear more about it later in the spring and once we get all our pre-registration stuff completed.

Im startin to freak out. I know we aren't supposed to hear till after they meet feb 18th but i gotta know somethin. A bunch of my bestfriends are getting their acceptance letters to med school and im still waitin and can't take it anymore

What are your stats? I think about half of the class has been filled already, so if your stats are good you've got nothing to worry about.

I thought less than 30 interviewed in the first round and all of them didnt get in so how could half the seats be filled.. I might be wrong tho.. Im from Arkansas with a 3.3 gpa 3.4 sgpa aa 19 ts 20 and pat 18

Members don't see this ad :)
That's according to what Dr. Coleman told my friend....but he does have a tendency to make it out like its more competitive than it actually is.

I interviewed on 1/23 and the first week afterward was definitely the worst for me. I kept going over what I said (and forgot to say) in my interview... It was agonizing. Now, I am at peace. (Or at least as 'at peace' as I possibly can be.)

Try not to stress out too much! Chances are, at least a couple of people that you interviewed with got into other schools, too, and won't even choose U of T in the end. We will know soon... Good luck! :luck:

So I talked to Dr. Coleman last week and he said to quit worrying. He rattled off some of my stats to me and acted as if he remembered me. He said nothing at all would be known until Feb. 18th and that I could find out soon there after... For the people that got in first round did you call or just wait to get a letter or what?

Don't be afraid to call after the committee meets on wed. I would wait until thursday to call, but I'm sure that you can definitely find out then! Good Luck to all of you waiting to hear news this week! I look forward to being classmates with each one of you guys! GOOD LUCK !:D

Thanks much... I just thought I had been nervous for the last few months... Now that I know they're meeting on wednesday and gonna be talking about me.. Im flat just freaking out! Hopefully all will be good.. Did you call the day after they met the first time?

I interviewed on Dec. 12, and Dr. Coleman said that they wouldn't have their meeting until Jan/Feb or something like that so I told myself to hold off calling until then. But a week later I received my letter in the mail. So I'm not sure what happened with their timeline.

You should give the school a call on thurs/fri!! They know how anxious students are waiting to find out about acceptances, so don't fret about calling. Good luck! Hope you get some good news!

i called today (2/16/09) Dr Coleman said they will meet on 18th, as we know, but he made it sound like we would not know the results for about another week after that because he has to go to the dean with the names before he can offically release them... or something like that.

If anyone else calls, keep us updated to see if you get the same response

btw, i interviewed the first date after Christmas, 1/9/09

Alright so who is calling first?

Did they meet already? Like, first thing? The general consensus seems to be that the earliest they would be able to tell us anything would be tomorrow, after the Dean approves the list.

In short... Not me! You do it!! :scared: I'm scared...

Haha I was the first to call last time and didn't get good news. SO I'm not doing it this time. I don't know, I may just not call and just hope for a letter in the next couple of weeks. This sucks.......

Yeah, I almost don't want to know... At least I still have hope right now! I have class from 8-9:30 tomorrow, so I figure that some ambitous go-getter will beat me to it. :) Good luck!

Hopefully yall are all braver than I am... But if not i plan on calling around two tomorrow!

let us know!

I called on Monday, so not calling yet

I called yesterday and the lady said call back later Thursday afternoon or Friday.

I just called (1:25 Memphis time) and the receptionist said that Dr. Coleman hasn't had a chance to meet with the Dean yet, and he probably won't be able to do so until Monday.

Sorry, guys... :( I am miserable!!

I just called and talked to the lady at the front desk. She said that the admissions comittee has met but the dean has not approved the list yet. She said that may not happen until Friday or Monday.

Wow me and you pretty much just did the exact same thing

ha ha, yeah... I've been a wreck today. :eek: I settled on the "perfect" time to call. Great minds think alike!

Hey, do you wanna go in on some flowers and chocolates to send to the Dean to 'sweeten the deal?' Maybe he just needs a little persuading to get to the list today!

How long could it take to approve a list! Dr. Coleman knows what he is doing... Im still planning on calling around three.. I'll let y'all know if i hear anything

Are yall just calling the admissions office? what are you asking?

I dialed Dr. Coleman's direct # (XXX-XXX-6201) and spoke with his receptionist. I gave my name and asked if the list from the most recent meeting had been approved yet. She put me on hold for about a minute (presumably while she asked Dr. C.) and then said that he hadn't been able to meet with the Dean yet, and probably wouldn't be able to do so until Monday.

It could all be a clever ruse...

I just called the admissions office. The receptionist said that the Dean is in meetings all day today and all day tomorrow. She said to call back on Monday after 12.

This is driving me crazy! I haven't been able to do any work all day!

The waiting game is the worst. Best wishes to all of you! I hope to see you in the Fall!

Does anyone know how many more people UT is interviewing, or how many people they are accepting this time around?

I think they only accepted 20 out of the 80 on the first round. Pretty much it was all the people with really high GPAs. I'm hoping there aren't that many people left with really high GPAs so that some average stat people can get in. You know what I'm saying

In the first round, I think UT made 26 offers. How many people are they having in their interview groups? There were 7 people including me on my interview day.

I know what you're saying. I'm 'average stat people,' too, on paper. Lots of character, though! :D

I don't know where they're at, but I have observed at least two people on SDN who were accepted last round and chose another school.

Good, haha. I know thats bad to say but whatever. I know that a lot of people who get accepted to more than one school hold on to their spots for as long as possible so acceptances will also depend on how many people have committed or not.

so i applied here with a great love for the state of TN, but i never heard a single word.., in all honesty it was suppsoed to be my "safe school" according to the stats i saw.. but i never followed up i guess for some reason so i guess its my own fault

who's going to be the first to call today?? :)

I do not get off work till 5:30, I may try then but being a Friday the might be closed

You applied to a state school as a "safety"? :eyebrow: That doesn't exactly make sense since state schools take mostly from within their state and the few out-of-staters that they do take need to have higher stats, especially GPA-wise since most state schools weigh GPA more so than the DAT.

I don't think I'm gonna call today... I was so bummed out yesterday that I only felt better after taking a nap and watching 5 back-to-back episodes of Law & Order SVU Season 8 on DVD. (I'm a girl, btw, so that's socially acceptable... right?!) :oops:

I imagine that today's another interview day, so if Dr. Coleman and the Dean *are* able to discuss the list, it won't be until later in the afternoon. I don't want to psych myself up to call and then get another "nope, try back later..." I'm bracing myself for Monday & perhaps a paper letter will arrive in the interim.

I'm just gonna wait till Monday, no one is going to hear anything until then anyways so it would just be a wasted phone call to call today.

By the way, did yall feel as though UT does not care at all about DAT scores as long as you have a 17 or above? I felt like all Dr. COleman cares about is science GPA, and thats it. Maybe its just me but thats the impression I got when I interviewed.

Same here. During my interview he said that they emphasize your sGPA the most. Your DAT it doesn't really matter if you get a 12 in a section as long as your Bio + Chem + Orgo + PAT + RC + QR + AA + TS = at least 130.

I was really worried about my DAT score, since I only got an 18 AA, but when I heard how they consider your DAT score, I was relieved.

I also went over their Admissions policy paying particularly close attention to the points below and whether or not I fit the candidate they're looking for...and I did, so I felt a whole lot better about my chances after going through this list. I basically had everything covered except for #5.

Candidate Review Factors Used by the Admissions Committee

When considering candidates for possible admission, the Admissions Committee reviews the entire scope of information that is available on each applicant. For each candidate this includes the academic record (i.e., overall GPA, science GPA and last 30 semester credit hours GPA), Dental Admissions Test scores, responses to items on the Application Survey, interview assessment, and any other information provided by the candidate (e.g., personal statement, letters of recommendation, etc.). In addition, the committee will expect evidence of the following factors in making the difficult choices among candidates.

1. Demonstrated exploration of the profession of dentistry
2. Demonstrated commitment to community service
3. Evidence of critical thinking and problem solving ability (e.g., performance in courses requiring this skill, such as laboratory segments or formal logic or research experiences)
4. Full academic loads with evidence of a broad liberal arts and sciences education (i.e., fine arts, business, mathematics, humanities, computer science, etc.)
5. A range of extracurricular activities, especially those demanding a significant leadership role
6. Demonstrated ability to balance full academic schedules with extracurricular involvement and/or employment (i.e., effective and efficient management of time)

Last edited:
Well, just look at Shreya's, Lhtran07's and the DAT scores and GPA's of everyone else who we know was accepted. They are good, competitive scores. I really think they do a "whole picture" assessment of us. From what I've been able to ascertain, we all have similar stats, so I think that's good news for us. BTW, there were 8 people at my interview day. If I don't get in this year, I will know why (low-end GPA, not enough shadowing...), but I think we all have just as much of a chance as the next guy or gal.

I'm sure they would be less likely to choose someone with a 130 total score on their DATs over someone with 150, all other things being equal, but as long as you've got competitive scores, I don't think it will be the deciding factor. Remember, U-T adds up all 8 scores and uses that. Of course, this is all just my gut feeling, based on people I've known who have gotten in...

Last edited:
I do believe that your scores will only get you so far. Whether or not you get an acceptance will depend on other factors in addition to your scores.

The Admissions Committee reviews the cumulative grade point average, science grade point average, DAT score, interview, Pre-Professional Evaluation, and letters of recommendation. The years in school, any trend in grades, degrees attained, awards, and such personality characteristics as motivation and social awareness are also considered...

"The Admissions Committee reviews the cumulative grade point average, science grade point average, DAT score, interview, Pre-Professional Evaluation, and letters of recommendation. The years in school, any trend in grades, degrees attained, awards, and such personality characteristics as motivation and social awareness are also considered. "

Dr. Coleman really stressed motivation in his "speech" during my interview group meet & greet. So I believe your involvement/exploration of the dental field is a big factor as well. It's not so much how many hours you've put in but what you've gotten out of it.

Yea I see what you mean. Another thing (I'm just starting conversation to pass the time until Monday haha), the interview was a closed file so no one on the comittee could see our grades or scores until after the interview.

How do yall feel about that? Personally I do not like it. I wish I was able to explain some of my grades, particularly my freshman year, but since it was closed file I couldn't.

I agree, I didn't like the fact the interview is a close file. And I also feel that our interviews are so brief. It's really hard to let the interviewers to get to know you in 10 minutes.