*** Official U of T in memphis Acceptance thread 2009 cycle***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! I wasn't sure about that, because I've heard form a few D3 friends at LSU that if LSU is declined by an Arkansas resident they will give that spot to a Louisiana applicant. The way it was explained to me was that LSU only has to "accept" 4 Ark applicants, I don't think there were any Arkansas students in LSU's c/o 2012 because those applicants declined LSU. It may be different for the other out of state spots though, I'm not sure.

There are 4 arkansas residents in LSU's c/o 2012, myself included. I think there are only like 8 or 9 total AR residents in the whole school. You are correct that LSU will grant the spots "reserved" for AR to others, mostly instate. Not sure why LSU is overlooked by Arkansas residents, i just think most focus entirely on UT.

Members don't see this ad.

So i have been thinking about it for th past few days. It was an honost mistake by UT telling me that I was accepted, when I have not been yet.

It is VERY disappointing, but I guess my gpa is not high enough for now. hopefully when they meet in is March (i hear for the last time) they will accept me. From what it sounds like, they have only offered seats to fill about half the class. so when they meet in late March, they may have enough acceptance for like 40 or so people.

I think they accepted 20-30 people first time, only like 16 people this time. so that leaves a lot of seats left for acceptances open for the March review.

Anyway, good luck and God bless

How do you know they have only filled half the class?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told by Dr. Coleman's secretary the next and final meeting will be sometime in April because he is interviewing through the end of March. So we all know the decision won't come until mid to late April.

Initially, there were supposed to be reviews in February, March, and April, with more reviews as needed until all 80 slots were filled. I would think that the committee's meeting less frequently would suggest that there are fewer slots open than they expected there to be.

So i have been thinking about it for th past few days. It was an honost mistake by UT telling me that I was accepted, when I have not been yet.

It is VERY disappointing, but I guess my gpa is not high enough for now. hopefully when they meet in is March (i hear for the last time) they will accept me. From what it sounds like, they have only offered seats to fill about half the class. so when they meet in late March, they may have enough acceptance for like 40 or so people.

I think they accepted 20-30 people first time, only like 16 people this time. so that leaves a lot of seats left for acceptances open for the March review.

Anyway, good luck and God bless

I hate to be the one to say this, but at my interview in early January, I was told that the class was ~ 75% full. That would leave about 19-20 slots. I really don't mean to bring you all down, just thought you might like to know the most accurate info. Unfortunately, I think BillytheEchidna may be right, but you never know if some may change thier mind and go elsewhere! Good luck everyone!

I think that the applicant pool this year has been by far tougher than in years past. So yea I htink that there are less spots than usual still up for grabs.

But I don't believe that in early January that 75% of the class was filled. Theres no way. That means 60 people minimum got accepted. They probably had about 10 rounds of interviews with 7 or 8 people at each. I highly doubt that out of the 75 people that interviewed that 60 got accepted.

I didn't think it was possible either, but Dr. Coleman was the one who said it! I vividly remember doing the math about 10 times to see how many spots that left open because after hearing that I didn't think my chances were very good. He may have misspoke or I may have misunderstood, but that is what I remember. I thought that may be the reason the admissions committee took forever to meet, because they weren't in any rush to fill the majority of the class.

Ouch! Geauxhogs, could he have been insinuating that 75% of the Arkansas slots were filled? I don't think they made more than 20 or 30 offers in the December round...

Nofear66, it looks like you are just a smidgen below what looks like their cutoff for science GPA for this last round (on Predents). I would bet dollars to donuts that you will get in next time! Is UT your first choice?

I hate how much speculation there is... ha ha. I am kind of glad that I didn't find SDN until a few weeks ago!

i interviewed in early january and DEF was not told that 75% of the seats were filled. I remember them saying that only 20 to 30 acceptances were given at that point. then last week add comm reviewed about 60 applicants (they Dr Coleman told me) and they only accepted a small number of those. He said 16...(maybe he meant 16 out of staters...?? Im instate though). anyway, by those calcualtions at most 46 have been offered acceptances and of course not all accept. so at most half the class would be filled.

lets assume that he meant 16 out of staters and not 16 in general this go around. its fair to assume that if they reviewed 60 people, at most 30 were accepted. this means at most 30 from previous and 30 acceptances this time = 60 total acceptances so far....

just going by what i was told. but like i said, unless i misunderstood, only 16 were accepted this round. i was also told that only 20-30 were first round which leaves half the class open :)
Im not trying to spread false hope for myself and others, but just going by what i was told. I hope it is correct

How are y'all doing the FAFSA? Are you doing it as if you were already accepted to professional school, but also sending your results to your undergrad university in case you need to take more classes?

Something else just occurred to me... I remembered that there were some left-handed set-ups in the fancy dent-sim lab. Does that mean they specifically choose a few lefties to fill those chairs? How would they know?? And, if not, doesn't that mean that some righthanded students are going to have to learn backwards? Very sinister (har har)! Just curious if anyone knew anything about that! I always hated getting stuck with the left-handed safety scissors in art class...

I don't think they'll specifically save spots for lefties. Those left-handed dent-sims are there just in case some students are lefties. I believe they also split up the class into groups for labs. So not everyone is in there at once and fighting over chairs.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know, UT only accepting 16 people this time around seems logical. They probably just figure that they will wait until EVERYONE has interviewed before they start accepting people with "average" GPA's.

As for my first choice, I don't know. The only two schools I have interviewed with is LSU and UT. I HIGHLY doubt I get into both, let alone one. So my decision will be made for me if I get in somewhere.

I am trying to apply to jobs in finance right now as a back up because I graduate this May, and it is making me sick to my stomach because this is not what I want to do. Hopefully it is only temporary!

You know, UT only accepting 16 people this time around seems logical. They probably just figure that they will wait until EVERYONE has interviewed before they start accepting people with "average" GPA's.

As for my first choice, I don't know. The only two schools I have interviewed with is LSU and UT. I HIGHLY doubt I get into both, let alone one. So my decision will be made for me if I get in somewhere.

I am trying to apply to jobs in finance right now as a back up because I graduate this May, and it is making me sick to my stomach because this is not what I want to do. Hopefully it is only temporary!
trust me, i know how you feel

Good point, lhtran07! The image of people fighting over chairs made me chuckle.

Yeah, I'm trying to look at it from another perspective, too. If I had a 3.6 and they took someone with a 2.9 over me, I would be really confused. I suppose it's the fairest way to do it... (sigh)

Hey, guys, I work in HR at a stock brokerage firm. We are sort of in a "hiring freeze" until the economy improves, but if I still have a job when this admissions cycle is over, I could pass your resumes along if anyone is hiring. They sporadically hire operations clerks...

I see what you are saying about your different perspective. However, I just wish UT looked at the TRANSCRIPT more than the bottom line GPA.

Do you think the admissions committee ever takes out a couple of bad grades in the calculation just to see what it would be without the bad grades? It seems that with so many applicants this would take too long.

Another student shows up accepted on PreDents, Feb. 28: rollredroll. Went to the University of Michigan with a 3.05 science GPA and 3.19 cumulative GPA. This individual opted to attend a different d-school.

*sigh*

Someone told me one of the cut offs for this round is also the dat score. UT sums 8 scores (aa, ts, bio, gc, oc, pat, qr, and rc). Apparently the cut off is 150.

I thought the cut off was 130 because the total of my scores is only 142.

Or do you mean 150 is the cutoff for this round?

Someone told me one of the cut offs for this round is also the dat score. UT sums 8 scores (aa, ts, bio, gc, oc, pat, qr, and rc). Apparently the cut off is 150.

I was accepted with a total of 148. The UT website says a total of 130 is required to grant an interview.

Someone I know didn't get in this round and this is what they told him when he called.

hey folks-

i'll be sending in a letter to UT soon withdrawing my name. It is a fantastic school and I would have been honored to go there. Best of luck to all of yall in the class.

It's great to be a Tennessee Volunteer!

-RRR

Anyone know if the dental school has the big sib/little sib system like the UT med school does? It'd be nice to have an upper classman that would show you the ropes and give helpful tips/pointers and pass down useful books and supplies to you.

UT Dental does have the big sib system. But...I have heard from some D1's that some peoples big sibs aren't very helpful. So I guess it all depends on "who" your big sib is, and if they really want to (or care to) "help" you out.

RRR- Good luck at UoP! Would have loved to have been your classmate!

Just ran across this when researching dental schools.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/mar/05/dental-school-needs-help/

Article from today's Memphis newspaper. What caught my eye was the following quote: "Dunn said the dental school, his alma mater, has fallen from the top ranks of 36 U.S. public dental colleges to near the bottom and is in danger of losing its accreditation next year."

Also said: "He said problems exist in staffing and "miserable conditions" of buildings and equipment. One recent class of dental students was kept enrolled two months past its scheduled graduation because of a faculty shortage, he said."

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm glad I applied to other schools!

I could care less about how the school is ranked among other schools. That is irrelevant when you are in practice, I just want a DDS and don't care where it is from.

That makes me happy that they had a cutoff for DAT, shows that they are actually looking at something other than science GPA. I just want to get in!!!!

I completely agree. My dad always said go wherever you want, and if you don't learn what you need to I can always teach it to you. Just get that degree. Only thing I was concerned about was losing accreditation and not having the faculty to teach material! I'm trying to specialize, as I'm sure is the goal of many people here, so doing well on the boards is a must.

Wow, thanks for posting that link! I think it's awesome that the former governor (and building's namesake) is trying to bring attention to UTHSC's needs.

And, yeah, I don't care much about the rank, either. It is well-respected in Tennessee, and I plan to practice here. If I'm good enough for them, it's good enough for me! :)

I'm an Arkansas resident that got in at UT. My packet came in the mail one day last week. I'll be declining my spot to attend Louisville. I got the Arkansas stipend thing to go there, so it'll be just like if I went to UT money wise. So there's another Arkansas seat at Memphis opening up!

i interviewed in early january and DEF was not told that 75% of the seats were filled. I remember them saying that only 20 to 30 acceptances were given at that point. then last week add comm reviewed about 60 applicants (they Dr Coleman told me) and they only accepted a small number of those. He said 16...(maybe he meant 16 out of staters...?? Im instate though). anyway, by those calcualtions at most 46 have been offered acceptances and of course not all accept. so at most half the class would be filled.

lets assume that he meant 16 out of staters and not 16 in general this go around. its fair to assume that if they reviewed 60 people, at most 30 were accepted. this means at most 30 from previous and 30 acceptances this time = 60 total acceptances so far....

just going by what i was told. but like i said, unless i misunderstood, only 16 were accepted this round. i was also told that only 20-30 were first round which leaves half the class open :)
Im not trying to spread false hope for myself and others, but just going by what i was told. I hope it is correct

what do you guys/girls think of my estimates above? Some people state that the class is almost full but my estimates show plenty of seats open...?

also, if the cut off of the first 2 rounds has been gpa, as UT says, there are a few people on predents that have been accepted with a lower gpa, like mine:
here are 2 examples: gpa/sgpa 3.19/3.05, 3.26/3.4

Congrats to these 2 people, but if UT says there determining cut off for the rounds so far are gpa, then the 2 above dont seem to agree... and these are just people on predents, who knows teh stats of the people accepted who are not on predents....

anyway, congrats to all who have been accepted so far, i just find it interesting about the reason being gpa

I thought the cut off was 130 because the total of my scores is only 142.
just added mine up, it is 146. so if 150 was also the cut off, i guess i missed it my 4 points

just added up some others on predents and there are many already accepted well below 150, several lower than mine. but most of those people have a higher sgpa than me too, so i guess you either had to have a high gpa OR DAT score for the 2nd round...

Last edited:
I think there are still 20-30 spots still open, especially because I'm sure there are people who were accepted but not attending.

As for this past round I think you had to have the gpa AND the dat score. My dat exactly exuals 150 which was the cutoff, but my gpa kept me out.

We are going to drive ourselves crazy by wondering how many slots are still available. They are still interviewing people... They are also most likely going to accept a reapplicant over a first-time applicant with similar stats. To explain why some people with slightly lower stats were accepted, we should probably infer that they *are* looking at more than numbers, but when giving a reason for why we didn't make the cut in that round, numbers are the most humane and objective thing to say (and also the quickest). The person with the 3.19/3.05 who was accepted majored in science at a prestigious school. I went to the same school, but majored in English instead of science... If they were willing to relax their criteria for one person, they will probably do it whenever they think a person is an outstanding-enough applicant. I hope that day comes for each of us!

I think it's important to keep a glimmer of hope alive, but I am 95% prepared for rejection. If an acceptance packet should arrive in the mail instead, there will be much rejoicing!

Since yall are discussing my gpa, you should know that my four year gpa was 3.19. but my gpa for junior and senior year was around 3.5ish. serious upward trend from my first two years.

are yall waiting to hear back from any other schools besides UT?

My overall gpa in college was 3.26 and my sgpa was 3.4. I had a rough time at beginning of college (3 bad semesters). But my gpa starting from second semester of my sophmore year on, was consistently around 3.5. I did ok in all my intro science classes, but I did very well in all my upper level science classes. So like rollredroll, I had an upward trend and I was able to keep it there. And my DAT total score is 158.

congrats to both of you!

i was just trying to understand UT's reasoning. my master's GPA is 3.5 (MBA) but I dont know how they factor'd it in to my undergrand and sgpa...
They really did not seem to care about my MBA. almost insinuated that you dont have to work hard to get an MBA. In my case I did the entire MBA in 1 year while working 30+ hours to support family. Just kind of frustrating that i dont think they care the slightest bit about it

So does anyone know when the next meeting is?

Haha here we go again...

Congrats on the upward trends, guys! My GPA was significantly better for my post-baccalaureate prerequisites than it was for my undergrad coursework, but not a perfectly "upward" trend. Rollredroll, I can relate to the deleterious effects of the lower-level classes at Michigan. General Chemistry and Intro Bio turned me into an English major. :) I think I need to take a few more classes before I will have really proved to U-T that I can hack it.

I only applied to U-T. All the eggs are in one basket, just in time for Easter!

rollredroll,

I see that you have confirmed your attendance to UoP on predents. Is this true and are you turning down you spot to UT?

congrats to both of you!

i was just trying to understand UT's reasoning. my master's GPA is 3.5 (MBA) but I dont know how they factor'd it in to my undergrand and sgpa...
They really did not seem to care about my MBA. almost insinuated that you dont have to work hard to get an MBA. In my case I did the entire MBA in 1 year while working 30+ hours to support family. Just kind of frustrating that i dont think they care the slightest bit about it

I would think they would like the fact you have a MBA, because dental offices are businesses too. So good business sense would be good for the future!

Yea, i agree w/ qk. I have a friend who is a D1 w/ an MBA at UT and i know that they didn't look down on the fact that they had an MBA, and i think they were rather impressed with it. How could u not be! So don't think that they didn't notice yours... Im sure they did, and will give you full consideration at the next meeting! Good Luck! Hope to see you in August.

Last edited:
Yea, i agree w/ qk. I have a friend who is a D1 w/ an MBA at UT and i know that they didn't look down on the fact that they had an MBA, and i think they were rather impressed with it. How could u not be! So don't think that they didn't notice yours... Im sure they did, and will give you full consideration at the next meeting! Good Luck! Hope to see you in August.
thanks qk and strept,

I thought they would like the MBA too, especially considering the fact that I got it in one year while working almost full time.

Im sure that they did not look down on the MBA, but they def did not seem impressed by it. I remember the very first time I spoke to Dr Coleman on the phone way back in July. He said that the MBA is not going to help you with acceptance because some school just give out good grades to make the school look good...

I got a really weird impression during my interview that they were concerned that I was not committed to dentistry because I got the MBA first... weird

I did not really respond, but I wanted to say seriously? that may happen at some schools, but not mine. I went to 3 hours of class 4 nights per week for 11 months....worked a job every day, purchased a house...ect. there were tons of nights were i only got 3 or 4 hours of sleep a night because i would be studying or writing a paper to 2 or 4 am and get up at 6 or 7 am for work....

anyway enough ranting. Im glad i did the MBA, but Im really suprised they (and other schools) have not really cared about it

Needa20, hang in there. They don't really seem to be biting on us average-GPA non-traditionals... At the end of it all, I think you will get in and your MBA will be a positive thing for your application. They just haven't looked at us that in-depth yet.

Needa20, hang in there. They don't really seem to be biting on us average-GPA non-traditionals... At the end of it all, I think you will get in and your MBA will be a positive thing for your application. They just haven't looked at us that in-depth yet.
thanks for your support. I hope you are right and they will fully review and accept us next round. I have tons of people say that being non-trad is a benefit because it makes us standout, but I dont think UT looks at it that way.

I hope to have you guys as a classmate this fall :)

good luck and God bless

awesome rollredroll, one extra spot just opened up