Official University of Arizona Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASU_Devil

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since one does not exist, I was hoping to start one. As you can tell, I go to ASU and hoping to get into the UoA. This is my first time applying, and I heard that they like to reject people the first they apply. I hope this is not the case with me.

I also called today and they said they would sent out the first acceptances at the end of january. Good luck and let us know if you get in.

Members don't see this ad.

hey, ASU devil. I'm waiting on U of A as well. I haven't heard about the 1st time rejection thing, I know a ton of people who got in their first time, no worries. So good luck to you and we'll hear at the end of the month.
where else are you waiting on?

I have been accepted to a few schools: Jefferson, Loyola and Michigan State, but I really want to go to the UoA. How about you? which school are you from?

Members don't see this ad :)
ASU_Devil said:
I have been accepted to a few schools: Jefferson, Loyola and Michigan State, but I really want to go to the UoA. How about you? which school are you from?

Congrats on your acceptances!! I'm also waiting on UofA and a couple more schools. Its surprising that UofA takes this long to let you know when they only have in-state applicants to deal with. Only about 600 applicants I think compared to schools with 6000+ and they respond
quicker. Anyway end of jan it is. So hope we hear good news.

Good luck all

Hello U of A hopefuls..

I'm guessing the first batch will go out via email Monday, Jan 30th...just a hunch but next week is the first week of February and in previous years, they have always been able to send out the 1st batch before the end of January.

Good luck next week!

Are you sure that they send out the notices via email??

Good Luck to everyone!!

Email if accepted, with a certified snail mail to follow. If you're not accepted in the first batch, you don't receive any notice...i.e. you wait, and wait, and wait until the last batch goes out. On the last batch you either get an acceptance or waitlist email. If rejected, just snail mail in April I think?

kurlyq said:
Are you sure that they send out the notices via email??

Good Luck to everyone!!

Good question

They seem to be anti-email. Except for one update email I sent them early in the season, all the correspondences I had with them have been via telephone or snail mail.

Orth2006 said:
Good question

They seem to be anti-email. Except for one update email I sent them early in the season, all the correspondences I had with them have been via telephone or snail mail.

I just read on UA's site that they are going to send out email acceptances for the first 1/3 on Mon January 30th. Written confirmation will come in regular mail a few days later. Good luck to all of us :)

http://www.admissions.medicine.arizona.edu/announcements.html

thanks for the update. its good to know that if there's no e-mail it means having to wait, otherwise i'd be sitting at my mailbox biting my nails. thanks and good luck everybody!

Thanks for all the info! Hopefully we will all receive good news on Monday!!

Please post as soon as anyone receives the acceptance email! Good luck Monday morning!

Yes, please post as soon as you get the e-mail. I just know I am going to be so scared to check my e-mail that day. So, I am going to have to find the courage somehow. Good luck to us all in this process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok...its 1040 Monday...has anyone received the e-mail yet? I am wondering if it'll be one mass e-mail or if they will be sending it individually (if so it could take all day...so I doubt it)?

I'm in at AZCOM but I really need to get U of A for the $ difference...to bolster the wife's support of this whole thing...as a non-trad with a wife and kids, taking on an enormous debt late in the game is a little stressful for everyone.

Here is my theory, which Ann will neither confirm or deny...they send out acceptances to their top candidates first, and then proceeed all the way through the 2nd wave, 3rd wave, waitlist, and finally rejection...in a descending manner. What she DID confirm is that when your file was complete has absolutely nothing to do with the timing of your notification.

Someone already posted on the Pre-Allopathic Forum that they received the email this morning. Not sure if it was a mass email or not, as only one person has posted their acceptance.

Aw shucks...guess I'm still playing the waiting game :confused:

Just a question, when I interviewed, Anne told us that since we were relatively early, we would be in the first batch if accepted. So does it matter when we were complete? I'm confused.

Scarlett27 said:
Just a question, when I interviewed, Anne told us that since we were relatively early, we would be in the first batch if accepted. So does it matter when we were complete? I'm confused.

Spoke with Ann earlier this month when I submitted my unofficial transcripts for last fall...she made it crystal clear that my interviewing on Day 2, and being among the first to have their file complete had no bearing on whether or not I would hear back during the first wave. :(

I am relatively certain the adcom came up with some method of ranking all applicants (not just by the numbers...because we were all interviewed...so unless someone has true inside info...there would be no reliable means of figuring out how they did any ranking)...so they would make offers to their top picks first...to try and lock them in. Those who don't accept the offer in 2 weeks move on and free up a spot for the next person down on the list to be offered a spot during round 2...and so on.

Just an educated guess...not sure if this is how they do it or not.

Bumping because 2nd round offers are going to be made on Monday! Good luck everyone.

Bumping again...good luck everyone...let's keep our fingers crossed for the 2nd wave tomorrow (0915 again?).

Geez, I hope I get an e-mail :rolleyes: .

Please post as soon as you can after you receive your e-mail acceptance :thumbup: !

Bump-waiting with trembling....OH JUST SEND THE EMAILS ALREADY!

when are they sending them? couldn't they give a time as well as a date? Augh!

I posted this on the pre-allopathic forum as well. I called the admissions office and was told that the emails had already been sent.

i'm in!!!!!!!! :love: Good luck everybody. :luck:

I'm accepted too!

Now is the tough choice between my top 2 schools......

AL11, congrats! where else do you now have to choose from?

I've also been accepted to Creighton, which was my first choice....cuz I thought that I wouldn't be accepted into U of A, but now...
I don't know...

How does creighton do it? Every single person i know from asu who applied to creighton (friends, i don't know THAT many pre-meds :) ) has been accepted. They must wish they were ASU :) Congratulations on having such a tough decision. There are worse decisions to make! Let us all know when you pick. I think we only have 2 weeks to accept the U of A spot

well,
I'm going to accept U of A for now, and then make a final decision before may 15.
Is anyone going to that informational thing on Mar. 24?

I definitely plan to, so I can learn more about the school to make a more informed decision.

Arizona, Arizona, Arizona, anyone, anyone...somebody must have heard something this morning and are just trying to protect those of us that didn't. Any acceptances this morning, please let me/us know. :eek:

I got an acceptance around 9:15
Best of luck

congratulations on your acceptance!!!!! very exciting. I want to extend an open invitation for lunch with other U of A acceptees (is that even a word, hmm...) that live in the Tempe area, if you live in the tempe area. No date picked yet, just seeing who's interested. congrats, again!

CONGRATS!!! Can you please post your stats? I/We will appreciate it. Thanks!

Dogg1 said:
I got an acceptance around 9:15
Best of luck

Is anyone going to the second look day on March 24??

Hope to see you all there! :)

kurlyq said:
Is anyone going to the second look day on March 24??

Hope to see you all there! :)

Kurlyq-

Is there a second look day on the 24th? The only date that I had in my acceptance packet was for May 5th. Maybe it's because I'm already in Tucson?! :confused:

desertdr,

Don't worry! :) There are two second look days, one on March 24th and one on May 5th. I think about half of the admitted students are going to each. Are you definitely going to UA this fall?

kurlyq said:
desertdr,

Don't worry! :) There are two second look days, one on March 24th and one on May 5th. I think about half of the admitted students are going to each. Are you definitely going to UA this fall?

Kurlyq,

I've withdrawn all my acceptances except UA and am on 1 waitlist (Mt. Sinai) so looks like I'm going to be a Wildcat again! I'm excited to start this fall...I just had lunch with a friend (MS 4 at UA) who did early match for Optho at Johns Hopkins!!! She loved her experience at UA...having turned down a couple of top 10s and a few MD/PhD programs. I think UA is a great school, supportive of its students (once you get in!), and provides the foundation for its students to succeed.

Since I already live in Tucson, the transition hopefully won't be that difficult...except the "quit professional life and become a student again" part :laugh:

Looking forward to meeting future classmates. If anyone has questions about Tucson (where to live, etc.) feel free to ask!

I'll be there on Mar 24th!

We don't have to dress or anything, right?

I mean dress up.. oops

u think jeans are ok?

I was wondering the same thing....I was planning on wearing jeans too?

Looking forward to meeting you all next Friday!! :)

desertdr,

I'm also excited to start this fall....I went out of state for undergrad but am looking forward to being back in good ole T-town again! :) That is good info that your friend provided, I really think UA is a great school too! And, Congrats to her in the match...that's awesome!! Also, I'm with you on the whole adjusting back into student life after taking a year off...should be interesting!! :laugh:

kurlyq said:
desertdr,

I'm also excited to start this fall....I went out of state for undergrad but am looking forward to being back in good ole T-town again! :) That is good info that your friend provided, I really think UA is a great school too! And, Congrats to her in the match...that's awesome!! Also, I'm with you on the whole adjusting back into student life after taking a year off...should be interesting!! :laugh:

Kurlyq-

I've got you beat...I've been out of undergrad for 8 years! :laugh: Of course, 6 were in grad school at UA but I haven't had to take a class in 6 years :eek:
I'm sure we'll all do well.

For those going next week, if you don't mind, could you please post back on how the 2nd look went? It's odd that my group's date is in May...sort of late, don't you think?

yeah, i was in the may 5th group but asked to get bumped up, because i have a pre-scheduled school project i have to be in Tempe for on the 5th. Thanks to SDN i even knew about the 24th date. so if you HAVE to move it up, you can probably ask. they were really nice about it.

As for dress.... huh... i was thinking about that myself, but i think i'm going to just be wearing gray slacks and a more casual fitted t-shirt. I would keep it professional since none of us are sure, but when i talked to them on the phone to move to the 24th date, it sounded like it was just an opportunity to hear about what to except from school, housing, and really a chance for us to meet each other. i'm especially curious to hear about the new curriculum since we'll be guinea pigs.

Can't wait to meet everybody. I'll be the one with the bbq stains on my white shirt... jk. And desertdr, I have a ton of ?'s. I've only been to tucson twice and i'm an AZ native! What's the housing situation like around campus? what's it like living in tucson in general? i've had experiences living all over other parts of AZ (coconino and maricopa counting) is it very much like living in another arizona city?

bbq:

To answer some of your questions, Tucson is a pretty cool place to live. Unlike Phoenix, you can be on a hiking trail in 15 minutes from anywhere in town. The city is pretty spread out so it would be nice to have a car down here. However, if you live near campus it's possible to get by with just a bike although getting groceries and running errands might be tough....I don't know about public transportation around Tucson since I've always had a car.

As for places to live around the health center, there are a lot of houses and apartments for rent near campus that are within a 5 minute bike ride into campus. Parking is a mess with the construction so if you have to drive in, I'd make sure you get your name in the parking lottery, otherwise you're stuck parking in some off lot or side street and walking in. The medschool is North of Speedway (as you saw during your interview) so we're cut off from most of the undergrads that are on the main campus (S. Speedway) but it's a 5 minute walk to the center of campus, rec center, and University Ave. where there are bars, restaurants, and shops.

If you have a car, you can pretty much live anywhere in town (PM me and I'll tell you of places to stay AWAY from) depending on your budget and needs.

Tucson is obviously the "country" cousin of Phoenix in that we're more laid back and have less "nightlife" and access to cultural events. However, the natural beauty of Tucson is pretty hard to beat. If you are an avid outdoorsman, cyclist, runner, or hiker, Tucson is a great place to live.

PM me if you have more questions (places to eat, etc)...I'd be happy to answer them!

For those that went to the Dean's Welcome today, how was it? I have to wait until May 5th!

And what did everyone wear? :laugh:

the Dean's program was informative. It was really nice to hear more information about the curriculum, meet some classmates, and we were also able to meet one on one with a 1st or 2nd year, got to see the cadaver labs, and hear about all the new stuff going on next year - which includes a LOT less microscope time in histology. There is a real push towards digital (nice, large, i have glasses so microscopes drive me crazy). Got to meet with the deans (really nice people) and overall it was a nice experience. People were dressed in anything they wanted. some in jeans and a cute shirt or slacks and a button down. business-y casual.

Going to the program really helped put a lot of my fears to rest about whats going on with the new curriculum. I was seriously on the fence about attending U of A, but now i'm definitely off the fence and looking for a place to live in Tucson. I'm really excited about the changes, and starting in August. I was really impressed at how friendly the dean's were as well... some of my friends in med school say taht can make or break your 4 years... if they're mean its terrible, i've heard. so no worries there.

Also, for some reason, A small group of the ms1's and I recognized each other from elementary school orchestra. It was crazy. we kept staring at each other going... how do i know you? (we hadn't seen each other since 4th grade) :-D

Did anyone else on this thread show up to the program?

hi all!

I went yesterday too. We did learn a lot more about the curriculum and it was cool to meet some more students and tour the anatomy lab too. Like bbq said most people were dressed business casual though there were a few people in jeans and nobody seemed to mind. Each time I hear more about the CUP program I get psyched about U of A, that sounds like it will be really cool.