Official University of Arizona Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, after much commentary about making my dog the official class mascot once I get to UA ;)I realized that I never showed a picture of "King" Arthur the wonder pup. He's 10 pounds of fuzz and energy. He likes long walks in the woods, shoelaces, and has an inexplicable fear of banannas. yes, banannas. And since I'm attached to him like he's my child, I'm convinced that he is not only the cutest corgi in the world, but that everyone will inevitably agree with me. I haven't had him away from my side since I got him (although, since he's training to be a therapy dog, we don't call this "owner codependency" we call it "socialization training" hehe) So here he is.... I hope this uploaded jpeg works.

Update: Arthur starts his official therapy dog classes next week after passing basic puppy obedience with flying colors last saturday and he'll be certified in 7 months and counting to visit the sick and cheer them up. I'll have to get him a tiny stethescope and a little white coat. :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• mail-1.jpg
    mail-1.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 79
  • mail-2.jpg
    mail-2.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 86
Hello future MS1s:

I just spoke with Lynda in Admissions (asking about something I faxed in) and she gave me an update on what to expect in the near future.

We will be getting a second mailing with reminders of things due (or past due) that were sent in the previous mailing. In addition, we'll be getting the specs for the laptops that we need for classes....so I guess I'll be keeping my Powerbook as my home computer!

She also said that we'll be getting a required reading list which includes a book on ethics in medicine that we should read prior to the beginning of prologue.

That's all I can remember from the call. I should have asked her if they went through the entire waitlist but forgot!

By the way BBQ...your Corgi is cute!

I heard that U of A burned through the entire waitlist this year. As this is unprecedented, I also heard that they are too embarrassed to actually contact people they'd already rejected to fill out the class. Anybody corroborate this, or are they going to try to fill it up?

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody know why the waitlist has moved so much this year?

I dont know much about how much they have moved in the past, is it rare for everyone to get of the wait list?

Do you think its possible that the class of 2010 will only have less that 110 students?

hmmm, interesting that they'd have a class less than 110, I mean those spots are coveted and nonetheless, it's expensive to run a medical school and I can't believe they wouldn't do everything possible to fill those spots. I wonder if people were unsure about the new curriculum and decided to go elsewhere.

Unfortunately, a lot of the people they rejected have probably made other plans by now (I know I have), but they do reject a lot of good candidates every year, so it's not like they'd be "digging at the bottom of the barrel" or anything... who knows :confused: One thing is for sure, they'll have a longer waitlist next year!

Maybe this will finally compell the UofA to accept out-of-state students...

hey ,
I was looking at your profile and pretty suprised that you were not at least wailisted, but at least you were accepted somewhere. This kinda makes me hopeless applying to UofA next year. Do you or anyone else who has applied or got in have ANY advise on what to do and have to help me or anyone else that will be applying to get in? Anything will be greatly appreciated! Good luck to all!!

moto_za said:
hey ,
I was looking at your profile and pretty suprised that you were not at least wailisted, but at least you were accepted somewhere. This kinda makes me hopeless applying to UofA next year. Do you or anyone else who has applied or got in have ANY advise on what to do and have to help me or anyone else that will be applying to get in? Anything will be greatly appreciated! Good luck to all!!

I think you're talking to me :) ... I was also surprised to not be at least waitlisted, but it just goes to show you there are no safeties. Nothing's a "sure thing" not even your state school. My MCAT was pretty avg for acceptance-29, GPA maybe a little lower-3.69, but I had good ECs (including full time medical job through u-grad), good interviews (I thought at least) and also minored in Spanish (something I gather they would find desirable)

I really wanted to go to UA, they were my top choice until I interviewed at PSU. For some reason, UA's admissions process is very strange, I almost wonder if it's "political" in the sense that they want the interviewers to really push for you and also it wouldn't hurt to have LORs from UA grads, ect., I just don't know what advice to give you other than don't think of it as a sure thing, and hopefully some of the accepted students on this thread will be more helpful in telling what they did that may have gotten them in!! GOOD LUCK! :luck:

Just make sure to apply to OOS friendly state schools and private schools in addition to UA and you'll likely end up somewhere!!!! :luck:

I was accepted off the waitlist. I had an MCAT of 32 and a GPA of 3.75. But I was on the waitlist in the high 30's. I thought I would be accepted for sure, but I got waitlisted. I wish I knew how they chose candidates, but I don't know. Everyone seems to think they choose people in some random weird way.

As far as contacting rejected applicants, they have a policy of NOT contacting any applicant after they have been rejected. The class will be a little smaller and they are okay with that. Every year atleast a few people fail and have to be held back, so I am sure our class will have more than 110. I Know this for sure, because when I was registering for classes there were 119 seats available for some of the classes.

Good luck to the future applicants. I think it will be a little easier with the new PHX campus.

I think that there might be 119 to a class, because some physiology or cell biology/anatomy graduate students take some of the same classes as us.

Strawberry: U of A is a little weird about acceptances, last year my brother was waitlisted at u of a, but was accepted to multiple top 20 schools. The only suggestion I have for you is to diversify. Make sure you apply to many schools. Best of luck.

stansbury said:
The only suggestion I have for you is to diversify. Make sure you apply to many schools. Best of luck.

Here, here. I applied to what some people might have thought was too many schools, but I only wanted to do this once. Also, I can speak for the absolute weirdness of UofA admissions. I thought I had a good app and good interview, but was mid30s waitlist. Can't say I didn't relish telling them I wouldn't be in Tucson this fall just a little bit when I had some good offers elsewhere, some with scholarship. Still, weird that they went through so many waitlisters this year, and also kind of weird that they're going to take the financial hit of running a small class. Maybe next year they will have a deeper waitlist and they won't jerk people around who want to be there.

I really don't think the UoA will take a financial hit by running a smaller class this year. The school does not count on tuition to cover its expenses, this is why Rosalind Franklin was in trouble. I am sure the costs of running a medical school will not be affected by losing out on $50,000 (worst case scenario).

I am disappointed by the methodology in which it's admission committee chooses incoming candidates, but I LOVE the school and I am glad I was accepted. waitlist or not

Thanks for the response strawberry!

Empol: I cannot believe that you got waitlisted with your MCAT score and GPA!! OMG. I mean the only reasons I can think of that you got wl is maybe your ecs or lor or bad interview or something? I will be taking the MCAT soon and my gpa is around yours, but this makes feel hopeless applying to uofa by hearing these stories. Thanks though for sharing your info and experience!

Members don't see this ad :)
is anyone buying the laptop recommended in the packet that we all just got?
I was looking at other forums, and I still really want a tablet, but not the gateway one...
anybody have any suggestions?

Wow, the U of A is on top of everything! So I guess this is the mentality... lets accept people that we are pretty sure wont come to our school, then lets waitlist people that might come to the school. After that, maybe we'll leave some open seats. Luckily, we do a bad job in the first place so there are open seats and we expect that repeating (failing) students will fill those as well. In the meantime, lets have the AAMC speak to congress about the need for more doctors and lets open a new campus in Phoenix, but you know what, were fine with letting some seats stay open, and lets stick by our policy.
Absolutely the worst system you could imagine. The policy isnt working. In addition, the DO schools dont seem to have this problem in Arizona. Now I was a member of the "reapplicant" club for U of A. Where 400 out 550 were "academically capable of handling the curriculum" according to the dean. I guess they would rather have open seats than contradict policy. You can call me bitter, I am just disappointed that the U of A would rather side on arrogance instead of filling their class. I wish good luck to the current and future students, there is no doubt that you will get a solid education. It is too bad that more wont be able to share that with you.

EmpHol said:
I was accepted off the waitlist. I had an MCAT of 32 and a GPA of 3.75. But I was on the waitlist in the high 30's. I thought I would be accepted for sure, but I got waitlisted. I wish I knew how they chose candidates, but I don't know. Everyone seems to think they choose people in some random weird way.

As far as contacting rejected applicants, they have a policy of NOT contacting any applicant after they have been rejected. The class will be a little smaller and they are okay with that. Every year atleast a few people fail and have to be held back, so I am sure our class will have more than 110. I Know this for sure, because when I was registering for classes there were 119 seats available for some of the classes.

Good luck to the future applicants. I think it will be a little easier with the new PHX campus.

suscsicisi2000 said:
Wow, the U of A is on top of everything! So I guess this is the mentality... lets accept people that we are pretty sure wont come to our school, then lets waitlist people that might come to the school. After that, maybe we'll leave some open seats. Luckily, we do a bad job in the first place so there are open seats and we expect that repeating (failing) students will fill those as well. In the meantime, lets have the AAMC speak to congress about the need for more doctors and lets open a new campus in Phoenix, but you know what, were fine with letting some seats stay open, and lets stick by our policy.
Absolutely the worst system you could imagine. The policy isnt working. In addition, the DO schools dont seem to have this problem in Arizona. Now I was a member of the "reapplicant" club for U of A. Where 400 out 550 were "academically capable of handling the curriculum" according to the dean. I guess they would rather have open seats than contradict policy. You can call me bitter, I am just disappointed that the U of A would rather side on arrogance instead of filling their class. I wish good luck to the current and future students, there is no doubt that you will get a solid education. It is too bad that more wont be able to share that with you.

hey, I'm w/ you, I think there's nothing more appauling than the fact that Arizona is in such dire need of physicians that are willing and interested in staying and practicing in AZ and UA will have empty seats... brilliant I say, just brilliant... so brilliant I wish the news would cover it and it would get people pissed off b/c as a tax paying resident of AZ... this REALLY pisses me off! Ah well, it's probably good that I'm going to a state that has a much better system, not just speaking about med schools, but a much better medical system (i.e. NOT underserved) that is flourishing as much as possible... good luck to you suscsicisi2000!, I'm sure you'll end up elsewhere, this was my 2nd year being rejected and I have other acceptances.... you'll probably have a better experience elsewhere as well, just branch out of AZ! :luck:

Good luck to those of you that end up @ UA!! AZ is depending on you guys!! :luck:

I am sorry to hear you didn't get in....

For whatever it is worth... according to Linda in admissions as of July14 the class was full at 110 and there were no openings left. I'm not sure if only the waitlist was used or not.

I am not sure how the choices were made and I hope you get accepted to other med. schools....

Did anyone order the Tablet PC from Gateway yet? I bought a Mac Powerbook last year to finish my dissertation and rather than becoming an "Apple-compatibility" science experiment in the incoming class, I'm going to purchase a new laptop/tablet.

I've never had a Gateway before but after pricing other tablet alternatives (Acer, Fujitsu, Lenovo, and Toshiba), it seems to be a good value taking into account our SOM discount...even after upgrading the memory and processor.

Thoughts and/or comments?

TIA

desertdr said:
Did anyone order the Tablet PC from Gateway yet? I bought a Mac Powerbook last year to finish my dissertation and rather than becoming an "Apple-compatibility" science experiment in the incoming class, I'm going to purchase a new laptop/tablet.

I've never had a Gateway before but after pricing other tablet alternatives (Acer, Fujitsu, Lenovo, and Toshiba), it seems to be a good value taking into account our SOM discount...even after upgrading the memory and processor.

Thoughts and/or comments?

TIA

Desertdr,
I would say get what you are comfortable using. I personally have worked with Gateway's and had bad luck. Maybe it was just coincidence both were always requiring me to reboot them all the time, but I was nearly ready to throw them out the nearest window.

Anyway, contrary to the advice given by the school I bought the lastest greatest Macbook because the were top rated in the class of notebooks we need to purchase and supposedly run windows faster than any other machine. While running the boot camp software, I cannot tell the difference from any other Windows machine on the market. Of course I am sure most will think I am crazy, but it is what I like to use. I know Toshiba makes a good notebook also. If you have not already purchase, I would go ahead and look at someplace where you can compare all of the different notebooks i.e. CompUSA. Then go to the computer company's website as several companies offer student discounts with a student ID or acceptance letter. Good Luck on your quest for your new laptop.

I recently threw my mac out the window (2 years old, nothing but trouble, even after being replaced) , dug out my mother's old (5 years) dell laptop, stuck in an extra memory stick and have been having a ball. Not only is my computing better with the dell, but i make more money, have only good hair days, lost ten pounds, and was proposed to by a multimillionaire who cited my good taste in computers as the reason for his attraction to me.

BBQ and Aflo:

Thanks for the responses...albeit contradictory! I worked on a Toshiba in grad school for 5 years before switching to a Powerbook to write my dissertation. I loved both of them and never had a problem with either.

I guess I'll stay away from Gateways for now (haven't heard too many good things about them) and try out some tablets and regular laptops (Dells, Lenovo, Fujitsu..)

If anyone else has anthing else to share about their laptops or laptops to purchase please post!!!

See you 2 weeks :eek: :D

I spoke with four different second year med students at UA who have Mac's. All said that they have NEVER had a problem with their Mac. In fact, they never even had to use Virtual PC or some other Windows XP program. Sounds to me like the 'Mac' fear is falsely founded...anyway, as for me I just purchased a brand new MacBook, and have been reassured that I have nothing to worry about in terms of compatibility. Having been a Dell user for years and having recently discovered the beauty of Mac's, I will never go back! Also, Dell stocks dropped significantly two days ago...and Apple is doing quite well. Food for thought...Good luck laptop hunting!

Rainwoman

desertdr said:
BBQ and Aflo:

Thanks for the responses...albeit contradictory! I worked on a Toshiba in grad school for 5 years before switching to a Powerbook to write my dissertation. I loved both of them and never had a problem with either.

I guess I'll stay away from Gateways for now (haven't heard too many good things about them) and try out some tablets and regular laptops (Dells, Lenovo, Fujitsu..)

If anyone else has anthing else to share about their laptops or laptops to purchase please post!!!

See you 2 weeks :eek: :D

rainwoman said:
I spoke with four different second year med students at UA who have Mac's. All said that they have NEVER had a problem with their Mac. In fact, they never even had to use Virtual PC or some other Windows XP program. Sounds to me like the 'Mac' fear is falsely founded...anyway, as for me I just purchased a brand new MacBook, and have been reassured that I have nothing to worry about in terms of compatibility. Having been a Dell user for years and having recently discovered the beauty of Mac's, I will never go back! Also, Dell stocks dropped significantly two days ago...and Apple is doing quite well. Food for thought...Good luck laptop hunting!

Rainwoman

For all of you Mac owners and potential Mac buyers, I am in the bridge program and we had our computers configured over the last couple of days. I was expecting to be the only one with a Mac and actually there was about 5 out of 25 with them and possibly some more who are going to purchase them. Anyway, all the Tech guys have Macs, they loaded all my software on the Mac side (I have boot camp so they each load separately) because they thought it would be smoother and run better on the Mac side. They said I would only use the windows side for looking at slides and some testing. Most of them reassured me that things would be fine. So if you own an older Powerbook or iBook you may run in some difficulties, but MacBook and MacBook Pro would be fine. And since all of them have the Macs we have tech support also so we are not left out in the cold. I have a ton more confidence in my choice, I like Macs and I think I will have a good experience with them for the next 4 years.

For anyone that is curious, we have been previewing the new curriculum and it’s wonderful. I think it is geared for optimal learning and take into the next generation of medicine with all of the technology at our fingertips. Anyone who was worried about being the guinea pigs missed out. The systems based learning will really make it easier to correlate information and the case based learning and team learning will reinforce. See all of you in a week and a half!!

:) :) :cool:

Hey all of you lucky first years! Hope your first semester is going well.

If anyone gets on here, can you fill me in on the interview at the U? Mine is on September 11. I've already interviewed at Indiana University, but I heard that the interviewers here don't have access to your information, like your MCAT scores and AMCAS application... is this true?

Any advice on what to expect would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Abigail