***Official University of Buffalo SDM c/o 2013 Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,

does anyone know UB's policy towards getting a 'W' after getting accepted? Am i going to be revoked? its not an important class at all, its just an online class for a general education thing and im recieving it cuz of personal reasons.

Members don't see this ad.

Just sent my deposit in and received a nice welcome letter w/ a sticker for my car :D

congrats everyone
embrace the grey days ahead of you
...and stay away from winspear ave.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's up with winspear ave?

just your ave. ghetto street w/ some violence
at least that's how it was last year. haven't heard much this year

accepted off of the wait list today. There is hope for the alternates.

i live on winspear. its sick. the college party life is nuts, im an undergrad at ub and predent also.

winspear isnt bad, you just need to get an alarm on ur house and u will be fine, but i would suggest living more toward the other way on main street away from the drunken parties every night, unless u want that while ur in grad school... but i dont think that would be a very good idea

TO beastmode

Did you get a phone call from the school? Congrats! I just checked that I got waitlisted..:( Well, really hope to get off of the waiting list at this year...

Milky

I was notified via email. Barbara said that she would call as well, but I never received a phone call. You will receive a wait list letter shortly that says alternates are usually not contacted until the end of April. Do not be discouraged. I was only on the wait list for one month. Good luck

Well, thanks for encouragement. Can I ask you one more? Is there anything you tried to get off of the waiting list? :)

Yeah,

After I was wait listed, I sent them an email (more like a letter) stating my strong desire to come to Buffalo. In the email, I updated them with some of the extracurricular/work activities I have been involved in since I submitted to AADSAS. Basically anything that couldn't been seen on my application. They will put the email in your file. It is my opinion that this helped my cause significantly. I would suggest trying it yourself. There is no way that showing a school you are interested can hurt you.

Milky

I was notified via email. Barbara said that she would call as well, but I never received a phone call. You will receive a wait list letter shortly that says alternates are usually not contacted until the end of April. Do not be discouraged. I was only on the wait list for one month. Good luck

Im really curious regarding the waitlist letter. I did receive the letter but my friends did not receive any except for the notification in AADSAS. I wonder if everyone who got waitlisted received them.

congrats, beastmode.
are you considering buffalo as your top choice??

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah,

After I was wait listed, I sent them an email (more like a letter) stating my strong desire to come to Buffalo. In the email, I updated them with some of the extracurricular/work activities I have been involved in since I submitted to AADSAS. Basically anything that couldn't been seen on my application. They will put the email in your file. It is my opinion that this helped my cause significantly. I would suggest trying it yourself. There is no way that showing a school you are interested can hurt you.

Beastmode, did you take a Kaplan course in Rochester two summers ago?

I'm in off the wait list as well. Barbara called me yesterday. I didn't think they moved people off the waitlist til May.

congrats, beastmode.
are you considering buffalo as your top choice??
Thanks all.

Yeah mainly b/c I am a local. It is tough though because I really like stony brook too and it is a hard school to turn down. Before I make any decisions I gotta go celebrate this weekend.

congrads everyone, ill most likely be seeing you guys in the fall!

for those that got accepted at Buffalo, could you share the dates when your deposits are due? i'm on the waitlist and am wondering when these dates are for possible waitlist movement...thx!

You guys are all very deserving of going to UB dental school. I am a current undergrad at UB and I am deciding whether or not to apply for an upcoming cycle. I have overall GPA of 3.65 and Science of 3.6 (Biochemistry major). I plan on taking the DAT's very soon and I am studying very hard for it. I am also doing a lot of research and numerous EC activities. What are my chances of getting in?

Again, congrats to everybody :D

Got accepted thursday after being waitlisted~! There is hope for those still on waitlist!

i got accepted on thursday too, was waitlisted about a month ago... for the rest that have been waitlisted, i was contacted by phone followed by an email...

valigator you should be fine... i had pretty much the same stats with a physical science major, and i also had research in chemistry... i ended up getting a 19 AA on the DAT (only had about 3 weeks to study for it =/)... so you should definitely be fine for UB... plus my app. was very very late (submitted it mid-november, and my evaluation letter didnt even get offically sent til somewhere in the beginning of december).. i was waitlisted at stony with those same stats too... just try to do your best on the DAT and apply ON TIME.. like set a deadline for your self somwhere btw july/august so you can be on the safe side...

i was wondering if anybody knew what kind of laptop they'd be giving us since we'd have to buy it from them... 3500 seems pretty exp for one, we could've got ourselves a rely nice one had we gotten it ourselves..

It's a macbook pro, and you can choose whether you want it to be windows or os x as the main operating system. The extra money is budgeted for software and peripherals (like a printer). I don't think you'll actually spend the whole 3500 dollars on the computer.

i was wondering if anybody knew what kind of laptop they'd be giving us since we'd have to buy it from them... 3500 seems pretty exp for one, we could've got ourselves a rely nice one had we gotten it ourselves..

I actually discusseed laptop purchasing issue with a dental student. He told me that you spend around 3500 no matter what. Don't bother searching for a used laptop. Also, thanks for the info :).

Congrats on your acceptances guys! Enjoy the summer and the rest of time in undergrad. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone during orientation next August. And don't worry about the snow, its not bad, it was cold this year but not much accumulation.

If anyone is looking for housing let me know, I most likely have a spot open in my apartment (2 br/1ba). I'll be a second year this fall, went to Geneseo, so I probably know some of the incoming class. My current roomie (another 1st year) is moving out because his gf is coming up so we cant fit them all in our place.

Its located on chestnut ridge rd, near UB north, very safe and quiet neighborhood. I looked at almost every apartment on this street and 4 other places before choosing this one. Easy off street parking, good plowing, well maintained. The price is good too, rent is 375/person, free heat, air conditioning!, and cold water. With utilities (40 electric, 40 hot water -most of thats service charges) and cable (DVR, roadrunner, digital cable) the grand total is ~475 each. Pretty good deal, probably the best you can find in all of amherst. 10-15 mins to school.

Just shoot me a PM, i'll get some pictures to you in a day or two.

Congrats to all of you who have gotten in! I am currently a fourth year at UBSDM so I'm on my way out! One of the big reasons I chose UB was the cost, and the cost of living. After I got accepted I found out that if you are from out-of-state and you buy a house you can actually get in-state tuition from day one (wich ended up saving me $15,000). I ended up buying a duplex, and I have had other dental students as tenants the whole time I have been here - which has really helped with the mortgage payment. Also, I installed a dental lab in the basement of my house which has been a life saver throughout dental school. The house has two two-bedroom units, and is in a safe quiet neighborhood less then four miles from school. Currently my house is for sale so if any of you are interested, shoot me a message and I can tell you more about it. Again congratulations on your acceptance!