*Official University of Iowa Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread*

Any IS scholarships been sent out?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What were your stats if you don't mind me asking
GPA: 3.98 DAT: 22AA/24TS/21PAT
They said other factors were included such as leadership roles and community service, which I focused a lot on during undergrad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Iowa is still giving out interviews?

Hi guys. I'm new here, but I've been paying attention to a few forums to gauge timelines of certain schools. I was waitlisted here on the 25th of January and just got the call that I have been accepted. I am OOS, North Dakota.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys. I'm new here, but I've been paying attention to a few forums to gauge timelines of certain schools. I was waitlisted here on the 25th of January and just got the call that I have been accepted. I am OOS, North Dakota.
Congrats! Can't wait to meet you if you go to the U of I!

Congrats! Can't wait to meet you if you go to the U of I!
Thanks! :). I am currently savoring the sweet sigh of relief! Looking forward to it as well should that be the case!

Does anyone know, historically, how much the resident alternate list tends to move? Like does it move at all usually?

Does anyone know, historically, how much the resident alternate list tends to move? Like does it move at all usually?
Looking at past threads, I believe last year, could have been the year before, 3 in state residents decided to attend a different school, so it did move, just not a whole lot. I am not sure about out of state.

Congrats! I am accepted for this fall as well. I am also OOS, North Dakota.

Got accepted to Iowa. OOS- North Dakota. Will most likely turn down the offer but I am still entertaining it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted off the wait list earlier this afternoon!!

Did you know where you were on the wait list? I'm curious to see how fast they're moving

No they never told me nor did I call do ask. I assume their OOS wait list moves quicker than their IS list

No they never told me nor did I call do ask. I assume their OOS wait list moves quicker than their IS list
Ok I'm in the middle portion so I was wondering if they are getting closer to there or still in the top.

Ok I'm in the middle portion so I was wondering if they are getting closer to there or still in the top.
Did you call or email to find out where you were on the wait list? I didn't realize they released that information.

Did you call or email to find out where you were on the wait list? I didn't realize they released that information.
They only tell you if you are in the top, middle or bottom of the list.

I emailed Rachael.

I see they recommend 3000 dollars for books. Does anyone know if buying all of the books is necessary?

Declined an acceptance offer today. So the waitlist is still moving for those that are waiting!

OOS sending email to decline offer today. So sad about this one. I really loved the school when I visited.

When is the second deposit due? Anyone know?
I talked to Rachael yesterday, and she told me that there is no second deposit. She also said that more detailed info on everything for next fall will be sent out around June.

I see they recommend 3000 dollars for books. Does anyone know if buying all of the books is necessary?
I've probably spent less than $300 on textbooks my whole time at Iowa and I'm a D3... However there are a few textbooks that you should get, mainly first year. You guys should get a list of what is necessary from the officers in the class above you (that's what happened for us), which is even overkill IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted off wait list w/ scholarship!

Last edited:
I talked to Rachael yesterday, and she told me that there is no second deposit. She also said that more detailed info on everything for next fall will be sent out around June.

Thank you for confirming. Sorry if I stressed anyone out about making another payment!! I just thought she had mentioned two deposits at the interview and I was just trying to gauge when the next round of people would be letting Iowa know if they were declining their seat for the waitlist folks.

Thank you for confirming. Sorry if I stressed anyone out about making another payment!! I just thought she had mentioned two deposits at the interview and I was just trying to gauge when the next round of people would be letting Iowa know if they were declining their seat for the waitlist folks.
No big deal! There are a few others that I've spoken with who thought they heard the same thing at their interviews. Doesn't bug me to not have to put down a second one. haha.

Can any current students give us some insight on the value/practicality of a laptop while in dental school at Iowa?

Can any current students give us some insight on the value/practicality of a laptop while in dental school at Iowa?
On icon they said we are not required to have a laptop.

I was on the OOS waitlist (not sure where on the list) and was accepted last week. I turned it down today. Best of luck to the rest of you!

Has anyone heard any updates?!?!?

The forum has been pretty quiet for about 2 months now and I don't want to bug Rachael. Is the class pretty set? Have people in previous years made it off the list this late in the game? Have they made it past the middle of the waitlist?

I'm really pulling for Iowa. It is my #1 choice. I am on the OOS waitlist.

Any info anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated :)
Where are you planning on going now ?

Pretty much everyone uses some sort of technology to take notes (maybe 1 person of the 80 prints the notes and handwrites). Of the remaining 79 people it's been split pretty 50/50 between laptop and tablet.

I tried the iPad + notability app route D1 year. The app is super functional and works well, but I found that I couldn't write fast enough to keep up with some of the professors. Some people have solved this problem by getting a keyboard attachment for their iPad so you can type when the professor is giving lots of info but still can circle, highlight, write little notes with a pen.

I personally did just fine using my MacBook throughout D2 year.

You will need some type of computer because you do have to write a few papers and reflections throughout school. I guess you could always do that in the library if you absolutely don't want a computer, but those typed up assignments are pretty heavy D2 year so its just easier to have one of your own.

I appreciate the heads up--I'll be investing in a Macbook sometime in the next couple of weeks. I'm planning on calling admissions as well, but how many sets of scrubs would current students recommend that D1's purchase and have on hand? I'm thinking two or three, but I would love to get some input.
I was thinking 5 sets tbh since it seems thats all we wear.

What is everyone wearing to orientation? I know that Rachel's email said scrubs or business casual, but I have a stupid fear of being the only one to show up in scrubs, haha.