**Official University of Tennessee College of Dentistry Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doesn't UT consider applicants from Arkansas in-state? I saw somewhere on SDN that that is the case because Memphis is like 15 minutes from the Arkansas state line. I also assumed that's why only Tenn and Arkansas residents were getting interviews from UT at this time.

Reactions: 1 user
AR is considered "in-state" for UTHSC.

*Arkansas Residents Note*
If you are an Arkansas resident you MUST contact Jonathan Coleman in the Arkansas Department of Higher Education (501-371-1064) in order to be certified as a bona fide Arkansas resident. Only after certification can you be eligible to receive the Arkansas Higher Education Grant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't UT consider applicants from Arkansas in-state? I saw somewhere on SDN that that is the case because Memphis is like 15 minutes from the Arkansas state line. I also assumed that's why only Tenn and Arkansas residents were getting interviews from UT at this time.

No. UTHSC holds a certain amount of seats for Arkansas residents so they may attain “in-state” tuition. It’s only about 20 seats or so. All other seats are fair game and considered out of state tuition. The dean of admissions specifically stated this when he visited my undergrad university.

No. UTHSC holds a certain amount of seats for Arkansas residents so they may attain “in-state” tuition. It’s only about 20 seats or so. All other seats are fair game and considered out of state tuition. The dean of admissions specifically stated this when he visited my undergrad university.

To my knowledge only those from TN and AR have received invites for interviews from UT so let’s agree to disagree. However, it appears AR residents are given preference over other states.

UTHSC doesn't send out of state invites until January, just so everyone is aware. They do this to avoid students getting accepted later to their state school and leaving them with empty seats.

And the school considers Arkansas residents as in state and has at least 34 guaranteed seats for Arkansas residents and I think 10-15 for Mississippi or Missouri? residents. Arkansas residents get interviews at the same time as Tenn applicants.
As for actual OOS residents, the school accepts only 9-11 each cycle.

I
Are you currently a D(X) at UTHSC? The initial email from UTHSC only says they interview until November 2018 for this cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just interviewed there yesterday on the 24th and we talked all about it. They have a deal with the state legislator of Arkansas, so they're obligated to take on those students every year since AK has no dental school of its own.
I also spoke separately with members of admissions at length about the the application process and and dates and deadlines and that's how they broke it down for me.

Edit: also, of those 34 AK applicants, only about 20 of them are granted in state status in terms of tuition.

I

I just interviewed there yesterday on the 24th and we talked all about it. They have a deal with the state legislator of Arkansas, so they're obligated to take on those students every year since AK has no dental school of its own.
I also spoke separately with members of admissions at length about the the application process and and dates and deadlines and that's how they broke it down for me.

Edit: also, of those 34 AK applicants, only about 20 of them are granted in state status in terms of tuition.

How was your experience? Did you interview with faculty members, or was it Dr. Covington?

How was your experience? Did you interview with faculty members, or was it Dr. Covington?
I interviewed with 4 faculty members in 2, 2-on-1 interviews. Dr. Collins, Dr. Triplet, Dr. Anderson, and a 4th whose name isn't coming to me right now.
Dr. Covington did not do any interviewing but he was around and we got plenty chance to speak with him. He is the Dean of the school as of now, so he just gave us the closing talk and farewell.

What date did you interview?

Last edited:
I interviewed with 4 faculty members in 2, 2-on-1 interviews. Dr. Collins, Dr. Triplet, Dr. Anderson, and a 4th whose name isn't coming to me right now.
Dr. Covington did not do any interviewing but he was around and we got plenty chance to speak with him. He is the Dean of the school as of now, so he just have us the closing talk and farewell.

What date did you interview?

I interview on the 21st! How was the vibe? Was it chill and comfortable? Or did they ask a lot of questions from your file?

I interview on the 21st! How was the vibe? Was it chill and comfortable? Or did they ask a lot of questions from your file?
Not too easy of an interview. don't take it for granted. It's not as hard as something like a Midwestern interview/MMI, but they don't play around. They're straightforward but they'll want details on mostly everything you mentioned, and they take note of all of it on transcript. Nothing better conflict or you'll be in trouble.
Nothing specific was asked from my file, but they did have it on hand I believe, to confirm anything I'm saying or ask a follow up from it if prompted.

UTHSC doesn't send out of state invites until January, just so everyone is aware. They do this to avoid students getting accepted later to their state school and leaving them with empty seats.

And the school considers Arkansas residents as in state and has at least 34 guaranteed seats for Arkansas residents and I think 10-15 for Mississippi or Missouri? residents. Arkansas residents get interviews at the same time as Tenn applicants.
As for actual OOS residents, the school accepts only 9-11 each cycle.

This isn't true just fyi. Received mine in August of last year as a OOS resident. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't true just fyi. Received mine in August of last year as a OOS resident. Good luck everyone!

I interviewed there this month and I was also told something close to what the above person said. They might be changing it this year and waiting to do the majority of their OOS interviews post-December? I did interview with 1 OOS person not from Arkansas.

I interviewed there this month and I was also told something close to what the above person said. They might be changing it this year and waiting to do the majority of their OOS interviews post-December? I did interview with 1 OOS person not from Arkansas.
What date did you interview if you mind me asking?

I interviewed mid-September. I'm not sure how many interviews/acceptances went out, but there are probably less than 8 OOS in our class right now of 99. Most interviews and such will go to Arkansas. Let me know if ya'll have any other questions.

Do you know how many OOS they interview last year and how many of those were accepted?

tennessee enrolls around ~95 each year, and ~50% are oos.

That's deceiving because they have a deal with Arkansas. Most will go to Arkansas.

I just got an interview invite!! Mine is set for October 1! I'm so excited!! In-state.

Got an interview for Oct. 1! AR resident

Hey everyone, can someone tell me if this is a troll post or nah? I found this on DAT BC study group on FB and I don't believe it...otherwise I'd have gotten an invite.

I think it is

Those who have already interviewed, how many applicants interviewed on the same day? Also, does anyone know about how many they interview total?

Hey everyone, can someone tell me if this is a troll post or nah? I found this on DAT BC study group on FB and I don't believe it...otherwise I'd have gotten an invite.

Any luck figuring this out?

They actually did send something out like this last year when I applied but it was worded differently. It said if you have a 21AA and a 3.5GPA + to email the school and let them know if you had not been invited for an interview. It, however, did not say you would 100% get the interview. I’ll try to find that email if I still have it.

Here is the email. Again this is from last year not this cycle.

Attachments

• 2BE10E65-01EF-4861-A77F-BA79904B7CF6.jpeg
    2BE10E65-01EF-4861-A77F-BA79904B7CF6.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 150
LOL, should we contact them this year if we didn't receive one by October 15? Also do you attend UTHSC currently?

Unless they specifically say so this year, I probably would not.

For people who already had an interview, were there many one on one interviews or was it one interview with many professors?

Got an interview for Oct. 1! AR resident

When did you submit on AADSAS & receive an email from Memphis saying they have received/reviewing your application? Thanks!

When did you submit on AADSAS & receive an email from Memphis saying they have received/reviewing your application? Thanks!
I submitted it mid July and never heard anything from them until they invited me for an interview

This is for the OOS (excluding Arkansas residents) applicants that have not received an interview. I just interviewed at UT yesterday and Dr. Covington told us that they changed the way they are interviewing OOS applicants this year. He stated that they will NOT start sending out interview invites for OOS applicants until after December 3rd (acceptance day this cycle). I’m a Tennessee resident btw. Hope this helps all that are wondering!

Reactions: 3 users
This is for the OOS (excluding Arkansas residents) applicants that have not received an interview. I just interviewed at UT yesterday and Dr. Covington told us that they changed the way they are interviewing OOS applicants this year. He stated that they will NOT start sending out interview invites for OOS applicants until after December 3rd (acceptance day this cycle). I’m a Tennessee resident btw. Hope this helps all that are wondering!
Thank you so much for the information! I'm honestly not too hopeful about getting an interview here (I didn't know about the arrangement with Arkansas, so thought they accepted a lot from OOS). But who knows! :)

How did your interview go?

Wow, thanks for the information! That would have been a nice disclaimer for them to post before I applied

Thank you so much for the information! I'm honestly not too hopeful about getting an interview here (I didn't know about the arrangement with Arkansas, so thought they accepted a lot from OOS). But who knows! :)

How did your interview go?

No problem! They told us that they will absolutely accept some students from OOS, maybe 7-10. The interview went pretty well. It’s my in-state school so I’m really hoping for an acceptance from them, but we’ll see!

Wow, thanks for the information! That would have been a nice disclaimer for them to post before I applied

No problem! And yes, I agree. They stated that this is the first year they are trying this out, but I agree that they could have mentioned this on their website.

This is my top school because I'm a New Mexico resident (we don't have a dental school) but my wife is Tennessee resident. Do you think I'll still be post December 3rd if I get anything?

This is my top school because I'm a New Mexico resident (we don't have a dental school) but my wife is Tennessee resident. Do you think I'll still be post December 3rd if I get anything?
Let them know your wife has residency, that gives you residencey as well and puts you in the In-State pool

Received an email back in August that UTHSC received my application and that it would be reviewed shortly. My AADSAS status has been 'Received/Under Review' since then. Received basically the same email today, even though in the previous email they state you'll only hear from them up to 3 times (Notice of receipt of application/Invitation for interview/Final Decision). Has anyone else experienced this? Should I contact the school?

Received an email back in August that UTHSC received my application and that it would be reviewed shortly. My AADSAS status has been 'Received/Under Review' since then. Received basically the same email today, even though in the previous email they state you'll only hear from them up to 3 times (Notice of receipt of application/Invitation for interview/Final Decision). Has anyone else experienced this? Should I contact the school?
I wouldn't reccomend contacting them because they really hate that, I think you will be fine

I got that same email today (pretty much identical to the one I got the first week of August). Kind of weird, but I figure maybe they're just getting around to the OOS applications to review?

I got that same email today (pretty much identical to the one I got the first week of August). Kind of weird, but I figure maybe they're just getting around to the OOS applications to review?

That was exactly my thought and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who received the email today. Thank you for replying!

That was exactly my thought and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who received the email today. Thank you for replying!
Sure!

Is this part true: "Our review process is entirely electronic and everything goes through AADSAS" ???

Does no one actually read or look at the application? That's kind of an odd thing to state, IMO. These guys just seem so cold....ha ha :laugh:

They surely don't want anyone calling them!!

Is this part true: "Our review process is entirely electronic and everything goes through AADSAS" ???

Does no one actually read or look at the application? That's kind of an odd thing to state, IMO.

I think they're just saying that they don't want you to send anything via email or snail mail, that everything must go through AADSAS. I have heard that many schools use an electronic screening process to weed out apps that don't meet their minimum requirements, but at some point human eyes have to see your app (at least I would hope so).

I got the same email

Status
Not open for further replies.