***Official University of Washington School of Dentistry C/O 2013 Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am not sure about the group that has interviewed on Feb. 2nd. But UW does accept students the same week that they interview. The adcom usually meets on Thursdays and Kathy calls students that are accepted on Thursdays as well. At least that is when she contacted me. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody, I just found this thread and thought I should post! I'll be seeing you all September 2nd I guess! Anyone here going to do SURF research before school? Any suggestions on faculty I might want to work with?

UW is a great school--congrats everyone who was accepted!

Hey Chewy. Congrats on your acceptance! Looking forward to meeting you in the fall. I'm doing SURF over the summer. Have you found anyone to work with? If not, I recommend contacting Linda LeResche, the research coordinator at UWSoD. She keeps an updated list of faculty involved in research and would be a great starting point for you. She probably spoke at your interview, but if you didn't get her card, her e-mail is [email protected]. Good luck and I'll see you in the fall!

Last edited:
On a side note, did any of you get accepted from out of state?
I can't decide if I should bother applying. I have an acceptable gpa and a good DAT.

I'm from out of state and I got accepted. There was probably 4 or 5 people from out of state at my interview, so it's not like it is impossible to get an interview. Just as long as you have a good GPA and DAT score. Plus, my state is apart of WICHE, which I believe helps out-of-state chances.
doc3232, with you stats, I don't think it would be a waste of your time/money to apply to UW. Plus, it's worth a try since UW is an awesome dental school!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure about the group that has interviewed on Feb. 2nd. But UW does accept students the same week that they interview. The adcom usually meets on Thursdays and Kathy calls students that are accepted on Thursdays as well. At least that is when she contacted me. Good Luck!

i was there on the 2nd and haven't heard anything.....my personal theory, based on my analysis of predents data, is that the adcom meets every two weeks, seems to be a spike of results for UW on a 2 week cycle, so i'm predicting we may hear this thursday....but this is PURE speculation.

good luck everyone!:luck::xf::p:D

Has anyone here sent the admissions response form back to the dental school? If so, have you been notified by the registrar to send in the $100 deposit?-How long did it take for you to receive the letter from the registrar after you sent in your admissions response form?

Thanks!

Has anyone here sent the admissions response form back to the dental school? If so, have you been notified by the registrar to send in the $100 deposit?-How long did it take for you to receive the letter from the registrar after you sent in your admissions response form?

Thanks!

After I sent my admissions response form, the registrar took about a month to send me their paperwork/request for the $100 deposit.

...my personal theory, based on my analysis of predents data, is that the adcom meets every two weeks, seems to be a spike of results for UW on a 2 week cycle

Those were my conclusions too. A sign of spending way too much time on predents? :)

i was there on the 2nd and haven't heard anything.....my personal theory, based on my analysis of predents data, is that the adcom meets every two weeks, seems to be a spike of results for UW on a 2 week cycle, so i'm predicting we may hear this thursday....but this is PURE speculation.

good luck everyone!:luck::xf::p:D

It is not speculation. The adcom does meet every other week on Thursdays. They are running behind on acceptances this year (due to the inclement weather we had back in Dec). They are hoping to have the class set by the end of this month/early March.

Those were my conclusions too. A sign of spending way too much time on predents? :)

yea, that and really, really, really wanting to get in at UW....would just make my life Soooooo much simpler bc i live in seattle now.:xf: moving is such a pain.

i think they oughtta let us in just because we were so damn smart in our analysis of predents.

yea, that and really, really, really wanting to get in at UW....would just make my life Soooooo much simpler bc i live in seattle now.:xf: moving is such a pain.

i think they oughtta let us in just because we were so damn smart in our analysis of predents.

Haha - Yeah, if admissions were based on time spent on predents.com, my husband would get in for sure! iLikeCheese - keep me posted on when you hear from them. My husband interviewed on Feb 2nd also, so hopefully you guys will hear back on the same day.

Yes, I know this information, but in no way does it matter. How does it benefit you to know that last years graduating class had 2 people apply to Ortho and they both made it into UW Ortho. Or that this year there were 5 applicants to OMFS and all made it into their number one choice. Like I said before if YOU want to specialize then it is up to YOU to make it happen, it wont make any difference whether you go to Harvard or UW, your chances are the same. UW is a great school, but it doesn't matter unless YOU put in the effort to take advantage of this amazing opportunity to learn.

It's good to remember that when people equate specialization rate with "how good that school is at putting students into specialties" they're making a fallacious assumption that 100% of dental students want to specialize.

Great post, especially for a Husky. I think I even saw some two syllable words :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Sunshine222 - when did you interview with UW?

I interviewed on January 12th, so it's been exactly one month of hell! I'm not holding out a lot of hope at this point, just planning to work on my interview skills and get some more shadowing and dental volunteer work for next year.

Was that your husband who got accepted today?

:(

but i'm glad SOMEONE got in, conrgats!!

i think they said the last interviews were being held on Feb. 9th....so i imagine their process will be getting finalized pretty soon....there can't be too many folks that turn down their offer...

darn it.

had no idea "the committee" met today. Did anyone get the call, or are they calling tomorrow instead?

:(

but i'm glad SOMEONE got in, conrgats!!

i think they said the last interviews were being held on Feb. 9th....so i imagine their process will be getting finalized pretty soon....there can't be too many folks that turn down their offer...

darn it.

There's someone on predents who say's he's interviewing on Feb 29th..

I think the guy on Predents who said he was interviewing Feb 29 is confused or lying, because they told my husband their last interviews were Feb 9. The committee did meet yesterday and made phone calls yesterday afternoon. My husband got accepted, but they said they are still finalizing a few last spots. They hope to have it all completed by the first week in March.

Does anyone know how many acceptances have been handed out so far?
Also, how many spots total does UW have this year?

I think the guy on Predents who said he was interviewing Feb 29 is confused or lying, because they told my husband their last interviews were Feb 9. The committee did meet yesterday and made phone calls yesterday afternoon. My husband got accepted, but they said they are still finalizing a few last spots. They hope to have it all completed by the first week in March.

thanks for the info & congrats to your husband!

Does anyone know how many acceptances have been handed out so far?
Also, how many spots total does UW have this year?

I don't know how many acceptances have been handed out so far. Since other people are posting that UW will have the class set by end of Feb/early March, I'm guessing the class is almost full.

UW has a total of 63 seats this year.

Anyone do pre-reqs at Bellevue Community College? I'm having some issues with the adviser, and she is making take most of my pre-req classes there.

I received a call today from Kathy (if only it would have come before that $750 deposit at Temple.......)! I'm excited to meet everyone in the fall!

I received a call today from Kathy (if only it would have come before that $750 deposit at Temple.......)! I'm excited to meet everyone in the fall!

Sucks about the $750, but congratulations! See you in the Fall!

Cough-- I'm wondering about the laptop too. I need a new laptop soon anyway and want to start looking.

Any laptop will do. It is really only required for 1st quarter Anatomy & Embryology because we take in-class quizzes over the wireless connection. So that being said I guess the only requirement is that it has wireless capabilities. Most people bring their laptops with them to school everyday for the first 2 years then they aren't really needed. I have an Apple Macbook Pro and would highly recommend it (don't worry if they try to tell you that Apple is not compatible, they are wrong, half the people in my class have Apples). Make sure that you save your receipt because you can turn it into the financial aid office and they will give you extra loan money for a computer, I think it is up to $2,500 (maybe less). Just make sure that you get an extended warranty, especially if you get a PC :) a bunch of kids in my class have had on going problems with their PC's.

I got the call yesterday too! (interviewed November 2nd). Not before I handed Michigan $1500 though... anyway, I'm really glad to be staying in seattle and look forward to meeting you all!

Any laptop will do. It is really only required for 1st quarter Anatomy & Embryology because we take in-class quizzes over the wireless connection. So that being said I guess the only requirement is that it has wireless capabilities. Most people bring their laptops with them to school everyday for the first 2 years then they aren't really needed. I have an Apple Macbook Pro and would highly recommend it (don't worry if they try to tell you that Apple is not compatible, they are wrong, half the people in my class have Apples). Make sure that you save your receipt because you can turn it into the financial aid office and they will give you extra loan money for a computer, I think it is up to $2,500 (maybe less). Just make sure that you get an extended warranty, especially if you get a PC :) a bunch of kids in my class have had on going problems with their PC's.

Thanks for the info. Now it's time to start shopping around-- yay!

Kokugeka- congratulations! See you in the Fall.

Anyone received their financial aid information yet? Seems like they should be letting us know pretty soon.

So we don't mail in the $100 until after we've mailed in the admissions response form and we get another requesting for the deposit? THANKS!

Got the call today!! What a nailbiter... practically had a heart attack when I heard Kathy on the phone. Can't wait to meet everyone!

Got the call today!! What a nailbiter... practically had a heart attack when I heard Kathy on the phone. Can't wait to meet everyone!

Congrats Sunshine! Welcome aboard. Looking forward to meeting you in the fall!

Hi Everyone! Do any of you guys know whether or not we are required to join the RIDE program if we are chosen for it? Thanks!

Hey everyone! Just ran across our thread and thought I'd say hello! Can't wait to learn bout teeth with y'all!

I'm lookin for a roommate or two let me know if anyone is interested!

PS... I'm so glad I found out about this after Choo girl decided to go to Harvard.. one word: wow

I wanted to know if anyone knows of other people on the UW alternate list.

Do you know of any updates? statistics? anything?