~Official USC Class of 2010 Thread~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
xylashellx said:
i'll bump that bump...

hi everybody...just got my physical for school yesterday. i think its great how we can all bond on the fact that we had to get a doctors finger in our butts, a million blood tests, shots, etc. my doctor is literally laughing at all the crap he had to do and saying how intense of a physical USC requires. gotta go get my tb test read tomorrow...weeeeeeeeeeee

ummm finger in butt? i haven't had my physical yet, but that sounds a little odd... why did your doctor need to do that?

Members don't see this ad.

Future DDS said:
hahahaha yeah! i did my hep. b immun., but they want specific kinda test, so i have to redo :thumbdown:.

what are you going to re do?? I started my hep b immun as soon as i got in per eva's email that suggested we start on it. Then I got the letter saying, you some core antibody test prior to it. I emailed their physician, and was told I still need to get that done, regardless of where I am in the process of getting the hep b series. Is this what you're referring to?

So does everybody know where they'll be living, those of you who do, where will you be?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mysteree said:
So does everybody know where they'll be living, those of you who do, where will you be?

LaVerne? Chino? Upland? Not completely sure, but I will be commuting a decent ways.

tsgalloway said:
LaVerne? Chino? Upland? Not completely sure, but I will be commuting a decent ways.

This is a sure sign of losing my mind, but i forgot where you live..I know it's not so cal..so why would you be living in any of these cities...I can tell you your commute every day would be upwards of 1 hr in each direction, unless you came home after 7:30pm

Mysteree said:
This is a sure sign of losing my mind, but i forgot where you live..I know it's not so cal..so why would you be living in any of these cities...I can tell you your commute every day would be upwards of 1 hr in each direction, unless you came home after 7:30pm

My wife will be PA school at Loma Linda. We have to split the difference. I don't want to commute so far, but it is a must. If anyone has any better suggestions, fire away.

tsgalloway said:
My wife will be PA school at Loma Linda. We have to split the difference. I don't want to commute so far, but it is a must. If anyone has any better suggestions, fire away.

Oh, I didn't know that.. in that case, I guess the cities you've listed make sense. Though your wife will be going against the traffic both times, whereas you'll be going w/the traffic both ways, i.e you'll get rush hr coming and going OUCH!! Congrats though on both of you landing in the same state! G'luck.

Ok, has anyone gotten any sort of financial aid package from USC yet? Their financial aid office never answers the phone, nor do they return my calls. I"m going nuts, waiting!!

Mysteree said:
Oh, I didn't know that.. in that case, I guess the cities you've listed make sense. Though your wife will be going against the traffic both times, whereas you'll be going w/the traffic both ways, i.e you'll get rush hr coming and going OUCH!! Congrats though on both of you landing in the same state! G'luck.

Yeah, we'll make it work. She only has 2 years of school, so we can move closer after she is done. BTW, I have received all of the financial info, but the dang financial aid office is a pain to get ahold of.

tsgalloway said:
Yeah, we'll make it work. She only has 2 years of school, so we can move closer after she is done. BTW, I have received all of the financial info, but the dang financial aid office is a pain to get ahold of.

Well that's some relief, I suppose :) I know you were accepted a while back, but do you happen to remember how soon after your acceptance you received your financial aid packet? You're right, I've been trying forever to reach the financial aid office as well. It appears that no one's ever there, and it's like they've taken an oath to never pick up the phone. I really am wondering if I made the right decision by turning down nyu...they're just as pricey, but atleast they're extremely prompt in getting back to you.

my hospital (kaiser) doesnt even do the antibody quantitative test. i am going to have to call USC and see if i can get in without it or get it somewhere else. blah

Hey guys, whenever i have to get a hold of financial aid i call eva who directly connects me to financial aid. I've never had a problem getting through to them doing this.

DATRAT said:
Hey guys, whenever i have to get a hold of financial aid i call eva who directly connects me to financial aid. I've never had a problem getting through to them doing this.

I've tried that, but I got the vm instead :( Btw where will you be living? If you don't mind my asking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mysteree said:
I've tried that, but I got the vm instead :( Btw where will you be living? If you don't mind my asking.

I'm in the process right now of trying to rent a one bedroom appt. in a really nice area of s. pasadena. 875/month. It's a five minute walk to the tram that takes you to USC. I might have pay rent starting july 15th, but it may be worth it b/c it seems like a good deal. I also have a friend (married) who is living in the same appt complex who is starting school with us next month so it should be fun!

Mysteree,

Im planning on living (with fiance) in one of the beach towns outside of LA for example Malibu, Santa Monica, Venice..... we want to be a bit out of town and have a car, so it suits us! apparently its pretty common to live in the beach towns when attending USC as opposed to right in LA near USC due to the not so nice surroundings....my concerns for finding a place is to be no more than 10 blocks from the beach with a nice yard/patio/balcony! :)

DATRAT said:
I'm in the process right now of trying to rent a one bedroom appt. in a really nice area of s. pasadena. 875/month. It's a five minute walk to the tram that takes you to USC. I might have pay rent starting july 15th, but it may be worth it b/c it seems like a good deal. I also have a friend (married) who is living in the same appt complex who is starting school with us next month so it should be fun!

Hey DATRAT, you're not sharing that 1bdrm are you? That sounds like an amazing deal! Does it include parking? I am most likely going to be staying at skyline terrace. It's ~4.5 miles from d-school. I'm trying to figure out the tram/parking situation. Would you mind sharing specifics about this place?

McGill Graduate said:
Mysteree,

Im planning on living (with fiance) in one of the beach towns outside of LA for example Malibu, Santa Monica, Venice..... we want to be a bit out of town and have a car, so it suits us! apparently its pretty common to live in the beach towns when attending USC as opposed to right in LA near USC due to the not so nice surroundings....my concerns for finding a place is to be no more than 10 blocks from the beach with a nice yard/patio/balcony! :)

Hi McGill Graduate,
I would've loved to live in Santa Monica, but I think the drive will be kind of horrendous in the morning w/ LA traffic being what it is. However, since you might be able to carpool w/your fiance, it might not be so bad for you guys.

Mysteree said:
Well that's some relief, I suppose :) I know you were accepted a while back, but do you happen to remember how soon after your acceptance you received your financial aid packet? You're right, I've been trying forever to reach the financial aid office as well. It appears that no one's ever there, and it's like they've taken an oath to never pick up the phone. I really am wondering if I made the right decision by turning down nyu...they're just as pricey, but atleast they're extremely prompt in getting back to you.

I got the final financial aid packet at the beginning of May.

Any females still looking for a roommate? Please e-mail me. I would like to live with 2-4 roommates in a house or apartment. I want to have my own room, but i'm willing to share a bathroom. I'm looking to live in Pasadena, West LA, or beach cities. I want to room with fun, outgoing, and clean people. Holla!

Mysteree said:
what are you going to re do?? I started my hep b immun as soon as i got in per eva's email that suggested we start on it. Then I got the letter saying, you some core antibody test prior to it. I emailed their physician, and was told I still need to get that done, regardless of where I am in the process of getting the hep b series. Is this what you're referring to?

yes, the core antibody test.. that's what i mean. but i went to my physician yesterday, how come he only drew my blood?? he said "that's the antibody test." I was a bit skeptical 'cuz that's all he did on my physical exam. Does anyone experience this also??

Hi I was wondering if any of you are staying in the dorms? If you are, which dorms are available for dental students? Any of you have experience in the dorms or know anything about it?

Hey DC1120,

I went to USC for undergrad, and there is very limited graduate student housing. There really isn't anything specifically for dental students. The USC housing that is available for grad students is off campus, and its supposedly not that nice. I stayed in off campus udergrad housing and its not that great. Hope this helps, lemme know if you have other questions about the area and Ill see you in fall!

anyone knows the laptop req. for usc? or anything will do?

Future DDS said:
anyone knows the laptop req. for usc? or anything will do?

There is no laptop requirement, but I would definately recommend getting one. Anything that can be used for basic word processing is fine.

financial aid NEVER answers their phone and doesnt return phone calls or anything. how am i supposed to fill out these financial aid forms when i know absolutely NOTHING about this stuff. maybe one of you can help? let me know

thanks

xylashellx said:
financial aid NEVER answers their phone and doesnt return phone calls or anything. how am i supposed to fill out these financial aid forms when i know absolutely NOTHING about this stuff. maybe one of you can help? let me know

thanks

which form you're talking about? they did answer my phone calls couple of times. I asked about the Stafford Loan's most preffered lender, and they said Northstar, and I forgot the 2nd one. Same thing w/ GradPlus. I think the deadline is august 15 (not quiet sure) to submit the forms, but asap is better. Then for those who's interested on HPSL, they said they're reviewing it and will notify those who qualify (maybe this month?). But you have to submit all docs first, income tax etc.

xylashellx said:

thanks

Kyle, what questions do you have. I did all that stuff last week and i never once had a problem getting through to financial aid. I did both of my loans (stafford & gradplus) through one lender, I can't remember the name but I do remember it was the one with 3 letters, ELM or something.

How far have you guys gotten with the financial aid? I'm afraid that I may have turned mine in too late. I just mailed in the correction page last week. Does anyone know what the deadlines are for financial aid and what the consequences are of turning it in late? Sorry guys, this is my first time with this stuff.

my question is...

it says that my estimated cost is like 90k. i know that we can only get a max of around 42k with stafford. then do i just apply for the difference 90k-42k with the gradplus?

and yes i didnt know which lender was the best. im so not the business/finance savy guy.

which lender did any of you other people use?

thanks
kyle

xylashellx said:
my question is...

it says that my estimated cost is like 90k. i know that we can only get a max of around 42k with stafford. then do i just apply for the difference 90k-42k with the gradplus?

and yes i didnt know which lender was the best. im so not the business/finance savy guy.

which lender did any of you other people use?

thanks
kyle

nevermind...went down to SC today. got it all figured out. gradplus sounds pretty cool in relation to private loans.

make sure you get your documents in by tomorrow (actually monday).

xylashellx said:
nevermind...went down to SC today. got it all figured out. gradplus sounds pretty cool in relation to private loans.

make sure you get your documents in by tomorrow (actually monday).

hey, i am a little behind you on the finaid stuff - i wanted to wait to go over it with my dad before i sent everything in, so i still haven't received my promissory note from them for the stafford, and just did my gradplus last week. when you went to campus, did they tell you any deadlines?

i'm thinking i probably should have just consulted with the school on that instead of my dad. woops.

jillmatic said:
hey, i am a little behind you on the finaid stuff - i wanted to wait to go over it with my dad before i sent everything in, so i still haven't received my promissory note from them for the stafford, and just did my gradplus last week. when you went to campus, did they tell you any deadlines?

i'm thinking i probably should have just consulted with the school on that instead of my dad. woops.

i think the deadline is aug 15th...or maybe thats just for the medical forms. but the earlier the better cause you dont want to have to deal with not making the first months rent or something like that because as it is we dont get our money until the first week of sept. good luck

jillmatic said:

Hey Jillmatic. Are you looking for a roommate? I tried to e-mail you through this network but it wouldn't let me.

dds2010 said:
Hey Jillmatic. Are you looking for a roommate? I tried to e-mail you through this network but it wouldn't let me.

hey, right now i'm living with my roommate from college in west LA. i'm not sure if i'm gonna love the commute or not though, so i may be moving this fall if it doesn't work out. holler at jillmatic@gmail if you want help looking for a place or anything.

..so close to school time, I thought it was time to bummpety bump this thread

How is everybody's financial aid stuff coming along? I just signed the Grad Plus promissory note, but no word of when the money will be disbursed.

achreng said:
How is everybody's financial aid stuff coming along? I just signed the Grad Plus promissory note, but no word of when the money will be disbursed.

You won't get the money until the week of or after school starts. So don't worry about tuition deadline because it is deferred for students who are waiting for their loans. Look forward to seeing some new faces this coming fall.

Amanda
USCSD c/o 2009

KNOU4rmCA said:
You won't get the money until the week of or after school starts. So don't worry about tuition deadline because it is deferred for students who are waiting for their loans. Look forward to seeing some new faces this coming fall.

Amanda
USCSD c/o 2009

i heard the same thing...first week of sept we will get our money but it wont be a big deal cause they wont charge us for tuition until we have our loans...two weeks away and off we go weeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

Hi guys, I've just been admitted recently. I have a quick question regarding financial aid. Did you guys have to contact the financial aid office to request for the supplemental application for financial aid?
Thanks

I recieved a financial aid packet soon after I finished my fafsa, however, there were some other documents they needed. You can go onto oasis to check your financial aid and see if all documents are in. Once everything is in, they will process it and send you all the financial aid info you need.

Hey Class of 2010!

I've been a little busy with school so haven't been on here too much, but I'm just about done now so if anybody has any questions let me know and I'll try and answer them.

ok... does anybody know what we need to do to get a deferment for our student loans? mine isn't coming in until the 23rd, but no one ever answers the phone or returns calls at the financial aid office. i'm assuming there's a form we need to fill out or something...

has anyone done this yet? holler at me.

jillmatic said:
ok... does anybody know what we need to do to get a deferment for our student loans? mine isn't coming in until the 23rd, but no one ever answers the phone or returns calls at the financial aid office. i'm assuming there's a form we need to fill out or something...

has anyone done this yet? holler at me.

If you've already been approved for loans, then your tuition will automatically be deferred by the Fin Aid office. You don't have to do anything. Just make sure you have other money for your everyday expenses that you'll need until you get your financial aid check.

awesome. thanks so much!

achreng said:

What is that promissory note? Do we have to sign one for both the grad plus and stafford? Thanks

BroncoB said:
What is that promissory note? Do we have to sign one for both the grad plus and stafford? Thanks

The promissory note is basically your contract saying that you'll repay the loan to the lender. I believe that there are separate ones for grad plus and stafford. I know for sure that each different lender will require you to sign their own master promissory note.

is anybody not attending now so that there will be a free spot?

blumnday99 said:
The promissory note is basically your contract saying that you'll repay the loan to the lender. I believe that there are separate ones for grad plus and stafford. I know for sure that each different lender will require you to sign their own master promissory note.

Yeah there are 2 separate promissory notes. I called the financial aid office about the Stafford promissory note that I never recieved and they told me that I can electronically submit one from my lender's website (Mohela).

a week from monday...coming up so fast :D