~*~*~Official USUHS Class of 2011 Thread~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how waitlisters will be notified if they are accepted??

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how waitlisters will be notified if they are accepted??

I would guess by phone since there is a time factor involved. But that is truly a guess. Have you tried calling the office? They have always been able to answer all my random questions. :)

Really I have no good or relevent information, but I just finally updated my avatar and I wanted to join the baby pics crowd. I had to post to make sure all you guys would see this one.... can you tell I just got a new camera? New moms are *SO* obnoxious.... :p

I would guess by phone since there is a time factor involved. But that is truly a guess. Have you tried calling the office? They have always been able to answer all my random questions. :)

Really I have no good or relevent information, but I just finally updated by avatar and I wanted to join the baby pics crowd. I had to post to make sure all you guys would see this one.... can you tell I just got a new camera? New moms are *SO* obnoxious.... :p

Love the new avatar! What a cutie!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

I am about to commission through my NROTC unit prior to arrival at USUHS, so I am wondering which uniforms I should buy for day to day wear while at school. I'm pretty sure that I remember someone say they wear CNT's 4 days a week and Cammie's 1 day a week but I'm not sure. Also is it acceptable to wear the poly-wool CNT's versus traditional ones?

Maybe I'm asking this in the wrong thread...

Uniforms are expensive. :mad:

Thanks.

The poly-wool khakis are actually the standard now. They are much more versatile since they can be worn onboard ships, while the CNT khakis cannot.

And, from what I understand, khakis (or service dress blues) are worn on Monday - Wednesday, and cammies are worn on Thursday and Friday. Things might have changed though!

The poly-wool khakis are actually the standard now.

So NOT what I wanted to hear :( ... but I kinda knew it anyway. I have literally something like 15 CNT sets... and a "whopping" 1 poly wool set that I need to lose 10 lbs to fit in..... UGH....

Hmm. this probably qualifies as TMI for the forum. Sorry! :oops:

Yeah! I found out yesterday I am officially of the waitlist and ACCEPTED! Go AF! :D

Since someone was asking about how they contacted people off the waitlist...they called me and had to get a verbal acceptance before they send out the whole packet. So I will be seeing you all this fall.

By the way I love the baby pics! :love: Hopefully, I will be posting my own soon enough. Baby is due this Sunday, so anytime now! (Hopefully sooner rather then later.)

Yeah! I found out yesterday I am officially of the waitlist and ACCEPTED! Go AF! :D

Since someone was asking about how they contacted people off the waitlist...they called me and had to get a verbal acceptance before they send out the whole packet. So I will be seeing you all this fall.

By the way I love the baby pics! :love: Hopefully, I will be posting my own soon enough. Baby is due this Sunday, so anytime now! (Hopefully sooner rather then later.)

Congrats curly!!! Good luck with the baby delivery! Is this your first?

Congrats Curly!!!!

Bubblehead, are you going to Hopkins? What a great school!!!

I thought I would jump on the bandwagon and change my avatar too.

Congrats Curly!!!!

Bubblehead, are you going to Hopkins? What a great school!!!

I thought I would jump of the bandwagon and change my avatar too.

Hopkins is definitely a great school. There are a lot of factors that have me leaning towards Hopkins, but for some reason, I cannot let go of USUHS. It doesn't matter how much logic I apply to the situation - there are so many things about USUHS (knowing that I would be in great company is definitely one of them!) that make it the right school for me, that I cannot help but continue to consider it.

I thought I would definitely be going to Hopkins when I found out I had been accepted, but nothing is final yet!

Hopkins is definitely a great school. There are a lot of factors that have me leaning towards Hopkins, but for some reason, I cannot let go of USUHS. It doesn't matter how much logic I apply to the situation - there are so many things about USUHS (knowing that I would be in great company is definitely one of them!) that make it the right school for me, that I cannot help but continue to consider it.

I thought I would definitely be going to Hopkins when I found out I had been accepted, but nothing is final yet!

That's exactly how I felt when I got my UW acceptance but USUHS just won't go away.....;)

Congrats on the acceptance Curly! :thumbup: :hardy:

I'm still waiting to hear back. I interviewed on the last day (22nd of Feb.) so next week is week 8. I called today and was told I should try back in in a couple of weeks.

Being an Air Force brat, I grew up with the military and I'd really love to go to USUHS. After my interview there it quickly shot up to my number 1 choice for med school because I liked it so much. Anyway, I hope to meet all you wonderful people later this year! :luck:

I've been doing the same thing. Even after announcing on this board that I'm going to go to NYMC and announcing on the NYMC board that I'm going to go there, I still can't bring myself to write the letter. I think it comes down to the people (I felt that I "clicked" with my cohort of interviewees (9/28, i think) at USUHS better than anywhere else), the Army (I can't articulate it better, but I think a career as an Army surgeon would be "cool" and rewarding and ...), and my life-long interest in a career in the military (which is very hard to put away).

Decisions Decisions!!!

That's exactly how I felt when I got my UW acceptance but USUHS just won't go away.....;)

I saw that you had posted one day that you were going to go to UW, but then ended up changing your mind. I completely understand what it is like to go through that process! UW is another great school, so I know that is a difficult decision!

BTW, for those of you that are just reading this thread out of curiosity, USUHS really is that great. I know it is not as well known as Hopkins or UW, or even ranked by US News and WR for that matter, but it is an amazing medical school - full ride scholarship with pay and benefits excluded.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah! I found out yesterday I am officially off the waitlist and ACCEPTED! Go AF! :D

Whoo hoo!! CONGRATS!!! Now I can legitimately use this smilie....:banana: Doing the happy dance!!

I've been doing the same thing. Even after announcing on this board that I'm going to go to NYMC and announcing on the NYMC board that I'm going to go there, I still can't bring myself to write the letter. I think it comes down to the people (I felt that I "clicked" with my cohort of interviewees (9/28, i think) at USUHS better than anywhere else), the Army (I can't articulate it better, but I think a career as an Army surgeon would be "cool" and rewarding and ...), and my life-long interest in a career in the military (which is very hard to put away).

Decisions Decisions!!!

:laugh: :laugh: Even though I was extremely excited when I received the news from Hopkins, and even changed my SDN signature, I still could not bring myself to post on this thread that I would not be attending USUHS.

For those of you that are on the Navy waitlist, please accept my sincere apologies. I would not be holding on to this acceptance if I were 100% certain that I would be going to Hopkins. I will likely make myself finalize my decision by the end of the month, without allowing myself to look back, but until then, I just cannot bring myself to make a final decision.

Whoo hoo!! CONGRATS!!! Now I can legitimately use this smilie....:banana: Doing the happy dance!!

Got your PM. As you can see by my posts on this thread today, the debate continues!!!

I thought I would jump on the bandwagon and change my avatar too.

Too cute!! Err... I mean.... very handsome young men. How to you get them to leave the neckties alone?? My boys use theirs as tissues, weapons, slingshots, etc.....

Sounds viral. ;)

Too cute!! Err... I mean.... very handsome young men. How to you get them to leave the neckties alone?? My boys use theirs as tissues, weapons, slingshots, etc.....

They would barely keep their ties on for 5 minutes so it was one of those, run in, take the pics and run out photo shoots. It too didn't take long before they became whips and swords!!! :laugh:

For all those considering USUHS.....It truly does rock. Honestly the logical side of me keeps saying, Look, UW is a top 10 blah blah blah and then the gut instinct side of me says, USUHS has the best feeling of any med school you've been too. Plus everytime I get on these boards and read peoples comments I really want to work with people like all of you. I know milmed might not have the greatest rep. on these boards but poeple like all of you make it so appealing!! Come on Bubblehead....join the club and tell those other med schools (hopkins ....cough, cough...) thanks but no thanks ;) J/K, you really have a tough choice ahead of you and I wish you and your family the best in making it.

Some other good news, we got a townhome in germantown which has a two-car garage, 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths and a finished basement for $1500 a month. We feel like its a great deal (we don't know the area that well so maybe we're getting ripped off......:eek: )

Come on Bubblehead....join the club and tell those other med schools (hopkins ....cough, cough...) thanks but no thanks ;) J/K, you really have a tough choice ahead of you and I wish you and your family the best in making it.

Some other good news, we got a townhome in germantown which has a two-car garage, 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths and a finished basement for $1500 a month. We feel like its a great deal (we don't know the area that well so maybe we're getting ripped off......:eek: )

Thanks Fizban!

That townhome is a great deal! My wife and I bought a 4 BR, 3.5 BA townhome in Germantown, and our mortgage is going to be about $800 more per month.

So, since we are practically going to be neighbors, perhaps you can teach me a thing or two about golf...my skills are definitely lacking. :laugh:

I am always looking for a good golfing buddy. I love to golf but often have to go by myself becuase of schedules etc. Don't worry about ability. I might play a lot but that doesn't mean I am any good. I am just simply addicted to the game.

Are you guys in Germantown right now. It sounds like you guys have an awesome place. I am told Germantown is a great place for USUHS students to live becuase of the quick route to Bethesda. If you go to USUHS we could even commute. I should clarify though that we will be renting for $1,500 a month. We just can't afford to buy right now so your money is at least an investment.

$1500 is great! I think that the housing market in the D.C. area is going to change over the next few months to a year as the sub-prime mortgage foreclosures continue to affect local real estate. There may be more houses and condos on the market, which may lead to prices lowering a bit. At least I'm hoping :)

Good luck to everyone making tough decisions now!

Lex, are you going to USUHS? Tell us about yourself (or did you already do this and I missed out :))

Yep, I think it was back on page 5 :)

Glad to be here!

I am always looking for a good golfing buddy. I love to golf but often have to go by myself becuase of schedules etc. Don't worry about ability. I might play a lot but that doesn't mean I am any good. I am just simply addicted to the game.

Are you guys in Germantown right now. It sounds like you guys have an awesome place. I am told Germantown is a great place for USUHS students to live becuase of the quick route to Bethesda. If you go to USUHS we could even commute. I should clarify though that we will be renting for $1,500 a month. We just can't afford to buy right now so your money is at least an investment.

I have not played golf in almost a year. I received my first set of clubs as a Christmas gift in December 2005. I was subsequently addicted to the game for about six months, and then my work tempo increased dramatically, and then came Jake. I am definitely looking forward to spending some time on the range during the spring, and then checking out some of the courses during the summer.

We are not in Germantown yet. We will not be leaving the Hampton Roads, Virginia area until the beginning of July. I should have been more correct with my previous statement - we have not yet bought a townhome in Germantown. We are under contract, and scheduled to close next month.

The commute to USUHS is not bad at all. It took me 25 minutes from doorstep to the school, during the timeframe that I would be driving if I were to go to USUHS. We could certainly carpool if that is where I end up - driving in the HOV lane can significantly reduce the drive time!

The fact that people with a Harvard or Hopkins acceptance
along with USUHS, are having trouble not going to USUHS tells
me that the curriculum is better than I thought.

I just looked at the 1st and 2nd year schedules and was very
impressed. Now I'm starting to think its even better. So I
may attend USUHS after all. If anyone is looking to make the road
trip from the northeast/tri-state area to Officer Training, please
let me know. I read somewhere before that it is much better to
have a car there, instead of taking flights.

Where else have u been accepted and what branch would u be in?

It is great to know that my struggles with this decision are perhaps opening the eyes of others. The people that think I am nuts for even considering USUHS among my other options are simply uneducated or misinformed about the quality of the education at USUHS. It's true - the fact that my wife is a graduate does make me a bit biased. However, that bias is based on my ability to witness the results of the USUHS education firsthand. My wife has become a superb surgeon and clinician. I know, then, what I would be capable of becoming via USUHS, and that makes this decision extremely difficult for me.

It is great to know that my struggles with this decision are perhaps opening the eyes of others. The people that think I am nuts for even considering USUHS among my other options are simply uneducated or misinformed about the quality of the education at USUHS. It's true - the fact that my wife is a graduate does make me a bit biased. However, that bias is based on my ability to witness the results of the USUHS education firsthand. My wife has become a superb surgeon and clinician. I know, then, what I would be capable of becoming via USUHS, and that makes this decision extremely difficult for me.

Well, in my case, it is the extremely flattering uniforms for women that push me over the edge. Baylor can't compare to those lovely Navy uniforms. ;) (OK - so I'm wait listed, but that doesn't mean they won't accept me!! Except though I sent in that darned withdrawl letter!)

My point - there isn't one. Except that after 9 yrs as a military person and 3yrs as a dependant - I kinda like the military. We take care of each other... and that might be the biggest point of all of this. Cut-throat schools cannot compete with that. Though if you are going to be cut-throat, we probably don't want you. And now - my yet again (are we seeing a pattern here!) unasked for "the world according to runningmom" opinion excepted, I bid you a great week!! :) We are PACKING!!!!

I agree runningmom, the "feel" of USUHS is unmistakable and I think that feeling is one of teamwork. I just didn't feel that at UW and 4 years is a long time to go it alone (well, with a wife and kids your never alone but they can't really help with my studies). To know that I would be working with such great people has only drawn me closer to USUHS.

STOP EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!! You all sound so cool, so stop it. You are making me regret withdrawing my acceptance to USUHS. I really wish you all the best luck and really wish I could have gotten to know all of you on a personal non SDN type of way. O'well, you guys rock and I wish you all the best.

I agree runningmom, the "feel" of USUHS is unmistakable and I think that feeling is one of teamwork. I just didn't feel that at UW and 4 years is a long time to go it alone (well, with a wife and kids your never alone but they can't really help with my studies). To know that I would be working with such great people has only drawn me closer to USUHS.

You said what I was thinking! I haven't gotten the same feeling at the other schools where I've interviewed.

I also love that so many students have spouses and families :) We don't have children yet, and although we haven't planned when we'd like to start... well, who knows? I was pleasantly surprised with how family-friendly the school was.

Good luck Spurss :)

I just got a set of clubs for X-mas but need a lot of work on my game... I'll have a car at OBC (if i am lucky enough to go) so watch out San Antonio public courses!!

I'M IN!!!!!

See you all this fall. I'll see my Air Force buddies July 2nd.

I got my conditional in the mail yesterday, but I've already gotten the physical and security check out of the way. I was told I'd get the unconditional as soon as I mail in my acceptance form.

I'm so excited!

This class totally rocks! I am so honored to be in med school with all of you.

Hey congrats jp7! :D

I found out last week that I am physically qualified so now i'm just waiting to hear from USUHS. It'll be 8 weeks on Thursday since my interview..... :luck:

Hey congrats jp7! :D

I found out last week that I am physically qualified so now i'm just waiting to hear from USUHS. It'll be 8 weeks on Thursday since my interview..... :luck:

Thanks Kodiak! I'm sure it's just a matter of a few more days for you.

I interviewed on Feb 1st. I found out I got waitlisted at the very beginning of week 9. According to the date of the letter, I was moved off the waitlist that very same week.

What service did you want to get into?

Well I really want to go Air Force. I grew up an Air Force brat so I got used to it :) I did list it equally with the Army on the preference sheet because I thought it might help me get in quicker. Not sure if that is true or not but I guess we'll see! It sounds like the waitlist is moving awfully quickly so that may bode well for me. I'll call next week at some point for an update.

Well I really want to go Air Force. I grew up an Air Force brat so I got used to it :) I did list it equally with the Army on the preference sheet because I thought it might help me get in quicker. Not sure if that is true or not but I guess we'll see! It sounds like the waitlist is moving awfully quickly so that may bode well for me. I'll call next week at some point for an update.

Congrats jp7
I called admissions last week and they said (as of tuesday) no one had been moved off of the army waitlist...

Congrats jp7
I called admissions last week and they said (as of tuesday) no one had been moved off of the army waitlist...

Don't worry. Someone PMed me some time ago. He/she is already at USUHS in the Army, and seemed to have some insights on the admissions status. He said that it would have been more promising had I been on the army list. I think come May 15th, it will really start rolling. He suggested I even call and change my first choice to army.

Hang in there!

Congrats jp7 :banana: :banana: :banana: (I love that little dude!)

This group just keeps getting better....what to do? what to do? :confused:

At this point I'm expecting a waitlist spot as I assume there are no "open" slots for any branch. I interviewed on the last day of interviews (I wanted to interview a couple of weeks earlier but due to my job I couldn't schedule off that early).

I think that its kind of odd that the army list has not moved. My thinking is that it would be the first and quickest to move. I Wonder why there hasn't been any movement off of it???

I just got a set of clubs for X-mas but need a lot of work on my game... I'll have a car at OBC (if i am lucky enough to go) so watch out San Antonio public courses!!

If you bring your car to OBC I will be golfing with you any chance I get!!!!! My clubs are definitely coming with me. Don't worry about skill. We're all hackers (even the ones who say they're good :D ). This class just keeps getting better by the hour. Can't wait to meet everyone and CONGRATS to everyone who has recently been accepted.

Just a little background about my family and I........I was raised in the Air Force and have lived on both coasts, England, Germany and everywhere in between. I married my best friend in 2002 and we have two little guys. I golf as much as possible and play guitar quite frequently. I am a gamer (can't wait for Halo 3 to destroy my grades. You know we're going to get some tournaments going at USUHS!) and mountain bike to stay in shape. I recently bought a pretty sweet paintball gun but have never gone so I am excited to try it. More to follow as I think of it...........

Somebody say golf? I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone -- on and off the golf course. I think I might have met a couple of you before since I also interviewed on Nov. 16th. (I think that was the date). I look forward to hearing from you guys/gals in the future.
GO GATORS!!

Somebody say golf? I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone -- on and off the golf course. I think I might have met a couple of you before since I also interviewed on Nov. 16th. (I think that was the date). I look forward to hearing from you guys/gals in the future.
GO GATORS!!

SCORE!! Another Gator to hang out with! Football season should definitely be exciting with somebody to yell at the TV with.

GO GATORS!!

We did meet during our interview day! I was the submarine officer that sat near you at the end of the table in the conference room where our day began.

Hey everyone

So I've been reading this thread ever since I interviewed at USUHS and I just joined SDN b/c you all seem pretty awesome and I wanted to join in the fun. I interviewed 16 Nov and got my conditional the day after Christmas...a day late, but it was still the best present I got this year!!! Anyways, I went back to Bethesda over my spring break and definately got that "this is it" feeling, so I finished all my paperwork when I got back and now I'm waiting for my unconditional.

The basics...From Ohio, undergrad at Ohio Univ, finishing my MS at U. Cincy, no prior, accepted to US Army, pretty sure I want to be a surgeon, no spouses or kids

other than that just excited to meet you guys and get started :D

Hey everyone

So I've been reading this thread ever since I interviewed at USUHS and I just joined SDN b/c you all seem pretty awesome and I wanted to join in the fun. I interviewed 16 Nov and got my conditional the day after Christmas...a day late, but it was still the best present I got this year!!! Anyways, I went back to Bethesda over my spring break and definately got that "this is it" feeling, so I finished all my paperwork when I got back and now I'm waiting for my unconditional.

The basics...From Ohio, undergrad at Ohio Univ, finishing my MS at U. Cincy, no prior, accepted to US Army, pretty sure I want to be a surgeon, no spouses or kids

other than that just excited to meet you guys and get started :D

I'm not going to USUHS, but I am going HPSP through the Navy (my father's career Navy). Just wanted to say that I look forward to working with you all some day.

We did meet during our interview day! I was the submarine officer that sat near you at the end of the table in the conference room where our day began.

Yeah, I definitely remember you. I hope you end up at USUHS, but I know you have to do what you have to do.

Just to give a little background -- I'm married with no children, I'll be 26 the first week of school, and I have no mil. experience, however, I was a firefighter/EMT for two years (pseudo mil.). I'm willing to take any advice about OIS anyone has to offer, as well as any advice about where to live. I have spoken with my sponsor and he has been extremely helpful, but the more advice the better. My wife and I decided the first year to live as close to the school as possible, but I don't know my way around, or if that is a good idea or not.

Oh yeah, I'm going NAVY.

SCORE!! Another Gator to hang out with! Football season should definitely be exciting with somebody to yell at the TV with.

Are you still at UF or did you already graduate?